Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Spain v Paraguay

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
latviancheese
Site Addict

Spain v Paraguay

Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:52 pm

Descended into a bit of sillyness, with all these penalties and none penalties :lol:

Spain, couldnt happen to a nicer footballing team.. :mrgreen:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Re: Spain v Paraguay

Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:16 pm

They scored eventually. 1-0 up now.

Paraguay just missed a sitter.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:53 pm

At least Germany will have someone decent to beat in the semis

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:04 pm

Yet another joke refereeing performance.
Inconsistent plank.

Jeremy Busby
UTS Veteran

Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:16 pm

SaddlerSteve wrote:Yet another joke refereeing performance.
Inconsistent plank.

The same bloke did the New Zealand v Italy match where the Italians got away with some dreadful play acting including a blatant con to get a penalty to equalise in a 1-1 draw.

After the game, Ryan Nelsen the NZ captain was interviewed on NZ television and said "if he is one of FIFA's best referees I would hate to see the worst".

Yet Howard Webb who in my view has been one of the best refs at the tournament does not get a quater final. Maybe he is lined up for at last one of the four remaining games

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:54 pm

Jeremy Busby wrote:
SaddlerSteve wrote:Yet another joke refereeing performance.
Inconsistent plank.

The same bloke did the New Zealand v Italy match where the Italians got away with some dreadful play acting including a blatant con to get a penalty to equalise in a 1-1 draw.

After the game, Ryan Nelsen the NZ captain was interviewed on NZ television and said "if he is one of FIFA's best referees I would hate to see the worst".

Yet Howard Webb who in my view has been one of the best refs at the tournament does not get a quater final. Maybe he is lined up for at last one of the four remaining games

I think Webb may be lined up for match number 64.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:28 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
Jeremy Busby wrote:
SaddlerSteve wrote:Yet another joke refereeing performance. Inconsistent plank.

Yet Howard Webb who in my view has been one of the best refs at the tournament does not get a quarter final. Maybe he is lined up for at last one of the four remaining games

I think Webb may be lined up for match number 64.

It is usual for the best-performing quarter-final referee to be appointed to the Final. If that be true, then HW and his Assistant Referees seem to be destined for a semi-final or the 3rd/4th Place Play-Off. I hope that this tournament sees a change in tradition and we get English involvement in the Final.

The last time that happened was when Jack Taylor, the Dingle butcher, refereed the 1974 Final - (West) Germany v. Holland! History to repeat itself?

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:24 pm

Pedagogue wrote:The last time that happened was when Jack Taylor, the Dingle butcher, refereed the 1974 Final - (West) Germany v. Holland! History to repeat itself?

And another win for the Fatherland!!

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:31 pm

Pedagogue wrote:The last time that happened was when Jack Taylor, the Dingle butcher, refereed the 1974 Final - (West) Germany v. Holland! History to repeat itself?

I'd have thought Mr. Taylor would be a bit too old by now? :P

Return to England Highs & Lows