Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Uruguay vs Ghana

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Uruguay vs Ghana

Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:06 pm

Can't believe that Asamoah just hit the bar with a last minute penalty right at the end of extra time!

latviancheese
Site Addict

Re: Uruguay vs Ghana

Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:17 pm

So gutted for them. You can say he should of scored, and the penalty shoot out was terrible for them.

But at the end of the day Uruguay have cheated their way to a win. Great save though....Goofy prick.

Duke
Site Addict

Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:29 pm

SaddlerSteve wrote:Can't believe that Asamoah just hit the bar with a last minute penalty right at the end of extra time!

Gutted they are out , Asamoah showed a lot off bottle tacking the first Kick for Ghana in the shoot out.terrific game .

latviancheese
Site Addict

Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:35 pm

Suarez is so proud when they miss too, i hope he gets AIDS. There is no place in the world for people like him.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:45 pm

Brilliant entertainment.

Forlan is fantastic. Uruguay for the world cup!

PS - the freekick for the peno was a dive, so both teams guilty of cheating.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:48 pm

Yes but i was on a 50 quid winner... :evil:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:51 pm

latviancheese wrote:Yes but i was on a 50 quid winner... :evil:

I just knew Uruguay would win through, South American guile over enthusiam every time.

Ghana look heartbroken - it can happen to other teams then! Misery should be shared around and it might go some way to dilute the pain of 1986, 1990, 1996 and the rest :D

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:37 pm

Should have penalty goals like they do in rugby with tries.
As its a disgrace someone can stop a blatant goal by handling the ball on the line.
It should be a goal scored and a sending off.
Hence Ghana would have gone through, which would have been correct result.

Jeremy Busby
UTS Veteran

Fri Jul 02, 2010 10:48 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:Should have penalty goals like they do in rugby with tries.
As its a disgrace someone can stop a blatant goal by handling the ball on the line.

Absolutley spot on Sheff. I actully logged on to make the same point about penalty goals. It would need some clear guidelines as to when refs could use it (tighter I think than the current red card for denying a goal scoring opportunity), but this is an obvious example. Sure the lad misses the semi because of the red card, but he stopped the goal and directly got his team to the shoot out because of the miss.

I agree the free kick should not have been given though, but there is a big difference between the two points. There were other free kicks in the game that should not have been given and also some that werent given that should have been. Fairly normal in this WC

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Jul 02, 2010 11:01 pm

Jeremy Busby wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:Should have penalty goals like they do in rugby with tries.

Absolutley spot on Sheff. I actully logged on to make the same point about penalty goals. It would need some clear guidelines as to when refs could use it (tighter I think than the current red card for denying a goal scoring opportunity), but this is an obvious example. Sure the lad misses the semi because of the red card, but he stopped the goal and directly got his team to the shoot out because of the miss.

I agree the free kick should not have been given though, but there is a big difference between the two points. There were other free kicks in the game that should not have been given and also some that werent given that should have been. Fairly normal in this WC

Nah.

Blatter says it's something fans like to talk about. Who are we to argue with that 'great man' :D

Anyway, Uruguay are ace.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:18 am

Yep, I agree, penalty goals would definitely improve the game in my opinion. Anything that stops blatant cheating can only be a good thing.
I don't really blame the guy on the line, but if the rules were in place he either wouldn't have done it, or it would have all been for nothing anyway.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:28 am

Fantastic execution of a useful Ghana side. Nothing against the Black Stars but Uruguay are the dogs nuts when it comes to commitment and passion. Suarez would rather die than give up - reminds me of Leitao in many ways. Brilliant. Hopefully put up a good show against Holland but will probably go down, but at least they'll go down choking on their own blood, rather than some kind of simpering miasma of surrender a la England.

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:38 am

Suarez is great!

Flemish Saddler
Prediction Master

Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:46 pm

latviancheese wrote:Suarez is so proud when they miss too, i hope he gets AIDS. There is no place in the world for people like him.

that's completely tat. Those lads would give their life for their country to become World Champion. respect for the lad!!!! He offered himself to keep a chance to go to the semi's. again: RESPECT!!!!! I hope they beat the dutch as they're a bunch of arrogant planks!!!!!! Saying they were better than Brasil (first half!!! :shock: ) and they already knew before the game they were too good for Brasil.............. can't stand them.

But to end as i started, GREAT save Suarez!!! Hope you win the final!!

King Monkey
UTS Veteran

Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:34 pm

Come on Uruguay!

I like Diego Forlan, what a player he has developed into. Did anyone see his interview after the game last night? Spoke very good English and looked happy to be interviewed, unlike a lot of our so called "Golden Generation". Who look like they can't be bothered one jot. England's Players in general could learn a lot toward their passion for the national game.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:43 pm

Respect, the blokes a blooming tool. No wonder football is going down the toilet if people think that deserves respect.

[post moderated]

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:44 pm

King Monkey wrote:Come on Uruguay!

I like Diego Forlan, what a player he has developed into. Did anyone see his interview after the game last night? Spoke very good English and looked happy to be interviewed, unlike a lot of our so called "Golden Generation". Who look like they can't be bothered one jot. England's Players in general could learn a lot toward their passion for the national game.

I think a lot of people forget he was only 23 when he signed for Utd. Other side of the world, language barrier, different culture and playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world.

Done well at clubs that seem to have time with him.

King Monkey
UTS Veteran

Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:54 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
I think a lot of people forget he was only 23 when he signed for Utd. Other side of the world, language barrier, different culture and playing for one of the biggest clubs in the world.

Done well at clubs that seem to have time with him.

Yes, good point.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Uruguay vs Ghana

Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:37 pm

Uruguay = modern day Sparta.

I love them. I even love Diego Forlan because he refused to score goals for Manchester United. :)

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:41 pm

Fantastic player, fantastic team.
I hope Uruguay go onto win it, although it'll be a Germany Holland final with Germany winning it.

Suarez is a hero for Uruguay, took one for the team like all should.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:45 pm

King Crimson wrote:Uruguay = modern day Sparta.

I love them. I even love Diego Forlan because he refused to score goals for Manchester United. :)

Luckily, the ones he did score were against the graverobbers :wink:

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Uruguay vs Ghana

Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:57 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:

Luckily, the ones he did score were against the graverobbers :wink:

I love the fact (FACT) that United fans called him Diego Birtles.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:17 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:Fantastic execution of a useful Ghana side. Nothing against the Black Stars but Uruguay are the dogs bits when it comes to commitment and passion. Suarez would rather die than give up - reminds me of Leitao in many ways. Brilliant. Hopefully put up a good show against Holland but will probably go down, but at least they'll go down choking on their own blood, rather than some kind of simpering miasma of surrender a la England.

what sh** ?

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:50 pm

Great, gives me a valid excuse to post this gem:

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:55 pm

Absolutely everyone would have done the same as Suarez in that situation. You are kidding and lying if you say otherwise.

Ahhh Nash's equilibrium. :wink:

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:00 am

Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:Absolutely everyone would have done the same as Suarez in that situation. You are kidding and lying if you say otherwise.

stochastic negative pareto suboptimal tumults all round!

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:54 am

Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:Absolutely everyone would have done the same as Suarez in that situation. You are kidding and lying if you say otherwise.

If the rule was that it was a goal for deliberate hand ball on or near the line, when the ball is traveling goalwards, then it wouldn't make any difference.

Besides, Nash is pretty meh. It is unexploitable, but not always optimal. See even us duffers have a little knowledge :wink:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Jul 04, 2010 1:32 pm

How dare you, do you not know he does 18 hour shifts and is doing a PhD? :wink:

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:05 am

Agreed: Here's a bit of logic from Ref365:

You can label Luis Suarez all you like for his deliberate handball which stopped a goalbound effort, but in my eyes he is not a villain, nor is he a cheat. To me a cheat is one who goes far beyond the boundaries of what is deemed acceptable conduct in a game of football, knowingly flouting laws and doing so in an unseemly manner.

Suarez did none of these things. He simply acted instinctively, and did something which I believe the vast majority of professionals would do. He stopped a shot from going in and kept his country's World Cup dream alive. And it worked.

The debate which raged afterwards was on whether a sending off and a one match ban is the appropriate punishment. I think there appears to be a vast overreaction from many people. Those that are calling for Suarez to be banned for extra games miss two major points. One is that you cannot change a billed punishment retrospectively. If I park illegally and the sign tells me a fine is £60, I expect to get fined that amount. You can't suddenly say its £400 for some reason. I knew the punishment when I park there.

Secondly, I'm not sure that making a longer ban the norm for this would necessarily stop Suarez, or anyone else for that matter, doing what he did in that position. Whether instinctive or not, I think you'd weigh it up and decide that a ten match ban is still not enough to stop you keeping a team in the World Cup.

Other pieces of nonsense have included perhaps considering the award of a 'penalty goal', i.e. give a goal if you think someone deliberately stopped it from going in. I believe this is known as goaltending in basketball. You simply can't do that. It wouldn't be long until a 'penalty goal' is given when the ball wasn't going in, or it wasn't really a handball, or something.

And here's another thing. If Ghana had simply scored the penalty we wouldn't be having this debate, if a debate is what it is.

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:15 am

I'm not buying into this myth that he acted on instinct. I think it was a conscious decision to save it. In any other game at any other time he'd have more than likely tried to head it clear. He knew the game, he knew the occasion and he knew exactly what he was doing.

I don't see a great deal of difference from Maradona's handball against England or Henry's handball against Ireland. This was equally disgraceful.

Next
Return to England Highs & Lows