Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Roy Keane absolutely spot on

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Roy Keane absolutely spot on

Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:56 am

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Re: Roy Keane absolutely spot on

Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:29 am

Spot on?
Are you serious?

That article is utter tosh.

If you care to read it he states Capello is "absolutely brilliant".

Further down the article he then goes on to question Rooney, James, Green, Terry, Upson, Barry and Heskey.

I know this might seem a stupid question.

But who picked these players for England........................

Answers on a post card to Roy Keane!

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:44 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:Spot on?
Are you serious?

Further down the article he then goes on to question Rooney, James, Green, Terry, Upson, Barry and Heskey.

Would you not have picked the majority of those prior to the tournament starting? If you say no, then i think you're telling porkie pies!

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:48 am

He is right and he is wrong. Why shouldn't we criticize Capello? He has failed miserably.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:50 am

saddlersam wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:Spot on?
Are you serious?

Would you not have picked the majority of those prior to the tournament starting? If you say no, then i think you're telling porkie pies!

I would have picked all bar Heskey, yes.

However, Capello was quite happy to drop Green, yet allowed the likes of Rooney to continue to under perform. Yet people like Crouch were left on the bench even though he had played most of the season with a fellow team mate De Foe!

How can that be "absolutely brilliant", thats what I am saying.

"absolutely brilliant" taking De Foe off and putting on Heskey, putting SWP on with 4 minutes left.
The list is really endless.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:51 am

The "absolutely brilliant" managers perform when the chips are down.

Ask Fergie or Mourniho.

They dont bottle it when it comes to the main part of a competition.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:03 am

latviancheese wrote:He is right and he is wrong. Why shouldn't we criticize Capello? He has failed miserably.

No he hasnt. He did his job which was to turn the rabble of uninspired, poorly performing losers that McClaren left behind in to an outfit capable of qualifying for the world cup, which under McClaren we werent. Capello did that. Capello gave those players the chance to play on the biggest stage, and they fluffed it.

Terry stopped having sex with anything that moved just long enough to open his trap and unsettle the camp, Rooney couldn't be arsed (probably not enough 60 year old prossies out there for his liking), Lampard had one half decent game, Green had a howler, Johnson couldn't defend if his life depended on it, Lennon looked like a lost boy, Chelsea misfit and Terry's arch bumchum Cole did sod all.

The players are ultimately to blame, it's them on the pitch, not Capello, and each one of those who played for England at the WC is capable of far, far better performances. Im fed up of managers getting stick, there might have been strange decisions, we might not agree with everything Capello did, but ultimately Englands performance at the WC is down to the players, and it is they who should be criticised, so I applaud Roy Keane.

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:24 am

philthesaddler wrote:
latviancheese wrote:He is right and he is wrong. Why shouldn't we criticize Capello? He has failed miserably.

No he hasnt. He did his job which was to turn the rabble of uninspired, poorly performing losers that McClaren left behind in to an outfit capable of qualifying for the world cup, which under McClaren we werent. Capello did that. Capello gave those players the chance to play on the biggest stage, and they fluffed it.

Terry stopped having sex with anything that moved just long enough to open his trap and unsettle the camp, Rooney couldn't be bothered (probably not enough 60 year old prossies out there for his liking), Lampard had one half decent game, Green had a howler, Johnson couldn't defend if his life depended on it, Lennon looked like a lost boy, Chelsea misfit and Terry's arch bumchum Cole did sod all.

The players are ultimately to blame, it's them on the pitch, not Capello, and each one of those who played for England at the WC is capable of far, far better performances. Im fed up of managers getting stick, there might have been strange decisions, we might not agree with everything Capello did, but ultimately Englands performance at the WC is down to the players, and it is they who should be criticised, so I applaud Roy Keane.

Agree with most of that Phil. First paragraph especially.
Still have no idea why people have this unhealthy infactuation with Terry "disrupting the camp" though. It's funny that after his press conference, England turned out their only half decent performance of the whole competition. I don't think it was revenge. I think Gerrard has to look at himself and accept he didn't do his job as captain. His performances were no better then 'meh' and I didn't hear him once try and rally the troops in the press conferences. OF course though, he's not John Terry, the one everyone loves to bash regardless of performance.
Terry, until his shocker on Sunday was one of the better performers (if there were any) throughout and people need to get over the fact he's a t*t and face up to it, regardless of whether they like it or not. It's actually becoming pretty sad that people cant face up to the fact that he cleared up a fair bit of mess in the first game when King was carrying an injury and threw himself in the line of numerous shots that I can guarantee you very few others would've done against Slovenia.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:16 pm

philthesaddler wrote:

Terry stopped having sex with anything that moved just long enough to open his trap and unsettle the camp, Rooney couldn't be bothered (probably not enough 60 year old prossies out there for his liking), Lampard had one half decent game, Green had a howler, Johnson couldn't defend if his life depended on it, Lennon looked like a lost boy, Chelsea misfit and Terry's arch bumchum Cole did sod all.

So then Phil, you are basically saying its all down to Capello in qualifying.
But when it came to the dismal performance in the World CUp, that was down to the players.

Excellent.
And how many players were different in the two?
:roll: :roll:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:09 pm

I believe the players are also to blame, probably mostly to blame too. After all you can only do so much as manager.

How can you say Capello has not failed? It was his tactics and his squad that failed. He could not motivate them(not that they should have to be), or turn them into a team.

canadiansaddler
UTS Legend

Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:40 pm

its simple at the end of the day - when compared to other countries English players are just not good enough , based on the performances in SA - they lacked the skill, the pace and the determination to win as well as failing to play as a team - English football has been well and truly screwed by the EPL and the top three or four clubs.

Capello (and every other future England manager) is hamstrung by a failed system , if this team represented the golden generation of English football then in a few years time we will be no more than a Scotland, Ireland or Wales. In fact lets bring back the Home championship so we can actually win something

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:34 pm

Our lack of pace was so evident it was laughable. Watching Gareth Barry try and run was embaressing, same with Terry and Upson.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:52 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:

So then Phil, you are basically saying its all down to Capello in qualifying.
But when it came to the dismal performance in the World CUp, that was down to the players.

Excellent.
And how many players were different in the two?
:roll: :roll:

That works both way Sheff, so what's your point?

Some of these players were around during Eriksson and Mclaren's reign. What's the common factor here hmm?

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:54 pm

Capello has made mistakes, but he hasn't just become a shyte manager over the space of a month. Some of these players have been treading water for England for years, and guess what, they've been shown up again.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:57 pm

derbysaddler wrote:Capello has made mistakes, but he hasn't just become a shyte manager over the space of a month. Some of these players have been treading water for England for years, and guess what, they've been shown up again.

You cannot fault his record, but i really dont think he is the man for England.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:00 pm

Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. Huddink would be good shout but can't see that happening, we can't afford to sack Capello and pay Huddink.

I just don't believe we can keep changing managers like this until we sort out some of the other fundemental issues with our national side.

PS, although Keane's made a few decent points he's still a grade A twanger

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:21 pm

derbysaddler wrote:Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. Huddink would be good shout but can't see that happening, we can't afford to sack Capello and pay Huddink.

I just don't believe we can keep changing managers like this until we sort out some of the other fundemental issues with our national side.

PS, although Keane's made a few decent points he's still a grade A twanger

Huddink? :mrgreen:

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:56 pm

Only constant is the players. We've had 2 proven managers and an Englishman.

Players aren't good enough and vastly overhyped.

Edit - What the hell can Capello do about Terry and Upson's retarded defending? Not a lot.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:11 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:Only constant is the players. We've had 2 proven managers and an Englishman.

Edit - What the hell can Capello do about Terry and Upson's retarded defending? Not a lot.

Stop playing paceless defenders on the halfway line firstly.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:25 pm

latviancheese wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:Only constant is the players. We've had 2 proven managers and an Englishman.

Stop playing paceless defenders on the halfway line firstly.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=goKs5ZMdz2w[/youtube]

Perhaps looking at that you may want to reconsider.

1st goal our esteemed centre halves decide to line up vertically rather than in a line, as they're set out.

2nd goal our Beckenbauer wannabes decide to tramp all over to the left hand side to leave the whole back 4 lopsided.

3rd and 4th... I stopped watching when I started crying and reminiscing about how good my 5-a-side defending was at uni. The career that wasn't, I guess.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:26 pm

Fair point they looked a lot higher up when i was watching it. Either way they are both oil tankers, ive seen Ian Roper turn better.

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:43 pm

Both manager and players are to blame FACT.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:07 pm

He makes a few good points, but he isn't absolutely spot on. He contradicts himself about 3 times through the article.

Why this mans opinion of football is worth anything I don't know. Absolute disgrace of a man, if that's what he is at all.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:11 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:He makes a few good points, but he isn't absolutely spot on. He contradicts himself about 3 times through the article.

Why this mans opinion of football is worth anything I don't know. Absolute disgrace of a man, if that's what he is at all.

I actually find it quite refreshing sometimes, I don't tend to take it all on as gospel but he does make good points.

I like the way he tends to be very candid. Like anyone who has played under a "big 4" manager though, he is prone to selective memory.

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:12 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:He makes a few good points, but he isn't absolutely spot on. He contradicts himself about 3 times through the article.

Yeah, but "Roy Keane contradictory yet near the mark" isn't a snappy thread title, is it?

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:16 pm

He's in no position to tell players to have a look at themselves.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:19 pm

DanWalsallFC wrote:He's in no position to tell players to have a look at themselves.

For underperforming? I think he is. If you know anything about him you would know that he demanded 100% from him and his teammates.

Yes, he was a massive git. I realise this.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:22 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
DanWalsallFC wrote:He's in no position to tell players to have a look at themselves.

For underperforming? I think he is. If you know anything about him you would know that he demanded 100% from him and his teammates.

Yes, he was a massive git. I realise this.

The bloke should be in prison.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:32 pm

I actually find it quite refreshing sometimes, I don't tend to take it all on as gospel but he does make good points.

I like the way he tends to be very candid. Like anyone who has played under a "big 4" manager though, he is prone to selective memory.

Yeah, fair enough, it was quite funny, Before I read it, I knew there would be a Liverpool dig in there. "Johnson has done okay, but Liverpool had a poor season" Snigger*

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:33 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:

Yeah, fair enough, it was quite funny, Before I read it, I knew there would be a Liverpool dig in there. "Johnson has done okay, but Liverpool had a poor season" Snigger*

To be fair, Saus... I didn't even pick that up.

Really.

Next
Return to England Highs & Lows