Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Front Page: Not celebrities, just losers

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Exile
Jobsworth

Front Page: Not celebrities, just losers

Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:33 pm

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Re: Front Page: Not celebrities, just losers

Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:59 am

Good post, Exile.

I listened to the players' interviews on the way home last night. They really are disconnected from the fans.

During the debate, one commentator was making the observation that the majority of the England fans who attend matches support clubs outside the Premiership (including non league). The proposition was that the national team had less meaning for Premiership players and there was less affinity between players and fans compared with club football. Interesting thought.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:23 am

A good post?

Well if you call a post with inaccurate rubbish attached to it, yes, a good post.

To say the country as no "youth programme or facilities" is totally inaccurate I am afraid. We have the Football League Youth Development programme as well as the Premier League Academy I believe.

We have young players in the under 21 set up that will make quality players with the correct help and influence.

The problem we currently is with the FA. Who are years behind in their thinking and have wasted billions of pounds in the last x amount of years. Before the World Cup, they stopped the get out clauses in the current England managers contract, why? That was just the most idiotic thing to do, and will no doubt waste more millions.
Lets face it, the bloke who currently managers England cannot speak good English. How on earth is he supposed to get his point across to players, as when you listen to him in interviews, I personally would turn off if I had to listen to that for more than 2 minutes.

The major problem in this country is NOT the Premier League, its the FA that runs our football.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:30 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:A good post?

Well if you call a post with inaccurate rubbish attached to it, yes, a good post.

To say the country as no "youth programme or facilities" is totally inaccurate I am afraid. We have the Football League Youth Development programme as well as the Premier League Academy I believe.

We have young players in the under 21 set up that will make quality players with the correct help and influence.

The problem we currently is with the FA. Who are years behind in their thinking and have wasted billions of pounds in the last x amount of years. Before the World Cup, they stopped the get out clauses in the current England managers contract, why? That was just the most idiotic thing to do, and will no doubt waste more millions.
Lets face it, the bloke who currently managers England cannot speak good English. How on earth is he supposed to get his point across to players, as when you listen to him in interviews, I personally would turn off if I had to listen to that for more than 2 minutes.

The major problem in this country is NOT the Premier League, its the FA that runs our football.

I respect your view, Sheff. I do think it is a view which only a minority would agree with following the weekend's events.

I agree that the jury is out with Capello, but until we face up to the fact that we are not as good as we think we are then this will continue.

If you keep doing what you have always done, then you will continue get what you have always got.

sirraygraydon
UTS Veteran

Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:55 am

chestersaddler wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:A good post?

I respect your view, Sheff. I do think it is a view which only a minority would agree with following the weekend's events.

I agree that the jury is out with Capello, but until we face up to the fact that we are not as good as we think we are then this will continue.

If you keep doing what you have always done, then you will continue get what you have always got.

Totally agree that we need to face up to being an 'above average team' at best, the amount of times I heard commentators saying we are a team of world beaters was ridiculous. The youth setup now is pretty good (U17 European Champions), although EPL clubs should be encouraged to bring through more young English talent rathering than just hoovering up the best 15-16 year olds from around the world. And although I agree that Capello needs to work on his English and consider his own failings in this tournament he has done wonders from where England were after Mclaren with basically the same team. We should stick with Capello and start playing some younger players for the next set of qualifiers (just like Germany have.....).

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:03 pm

Hear, hear. Out should go (if only on age grounds), Ferdinand, Terry, Lampard and Gerrard for starters

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:08 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:To say the country as no "youth programme or facilities" is totally inaccurate I am afraid. We have the Football League Youth Development programme as well as the Premier League Academy I believe.

Are these the Academies that are chock full of young foreign talent at the expense of youn British hopefuls?

It's all well and good having a great under 21 set up but if they're not getting first team experience (or having to shuffle down the leagues to get it) then it very much harms the national teams chances.

Not like the top Premier clubs will give a toss about that.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:28 pm

Funnily enough Capello managed to get his words across fine when he won the league at Real Madrid with a collection of players who didn't all speak Italian..............

Must be just them foreign types. :roll:

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:40 pm

tinned wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:To say the country as no "youth programme or facilities" is totally inaccurate I am afraid. We have the Football League Youth Development programme as well as the Premier League Academy I believe.

Are these the Academies that are chock full of young foreign talent at the expense of youn British hopefuls?

It's all well and good having a great under 21 set up but if they're not getting first team experience (or having to shuffle down the leagues to get it) then it very much harms the national teams chances.

Not like the top Premier clubs will give a toss about that.

Two points on the U21 set up -

1) Germany dicked us at U21 level too.
2) Which of the players in the England team weren't playing Premier league footie when in their early twenties?

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:26 pm

derbysaddler wrote:Funnily enough Capello managed to get his words across fine when he won the league at Real Madrid with a collection of players who didn't all speak Italian..............

I think you and I are reading from the same page to be honest.
All this English manager only rubbish. Who is genuinely right for the post?! Either a man who makes his career jumping clubs and not actually really winning anything or a guy who would be nothing more than a stop gap before it starts all over again.

Any one else with other suggestions I'm all ears.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:10 pm

UEFA A & PRO COACHES

SPAIN (population 45,000,000) - 14,860, or 1 for every 3,000 people
GERMANY (population 82,000,000) - 6,570, or 1 for every 12,480 people
FRANCE (population 62,000,000 - 2,588, or 1 for every 23,956 people
ITALY (population 60,000,000) - 1,810., or 1 for every 33,149 people
NETH'NDS (population 16,500,000) - 1,137, or 1 for every 14,511 people
ENGLAND (population 51,500,000) - 1,010, or 1 for every 50,990 people

No wonder our kids can’t play football properly. We have far fewer qualified coaches then anyone else!

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:15 pm

saddlersam wrote:
derbysaddler wrote:Funnily enough Capello managed to get his words across fine when he won the league at Real Madrid with a collection of players who didn't all speak Italian..............

I think you and I are reading from the same page to be honest.
All this English manager only rubbish. Who is genuinely right for the post?! Either a man who makes his career jumping clubs and not actually really winning anything or a guy who would be nothing more than a stop gap before it starts all over again.

Any one else with other suggestions I'm all ears.

Harry Redknapp, Roy Hodgson, Steve Coppell, Neil Warnock, Steve Bruce, Mick McCarthy, Steve McLaren........

Not a great selection is it?

Let's roll out ole' Terry Venables, he's English, and he sings on telly........woooo!

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:11 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Hear, hear. Out should go (if only on age grounds), Ferdinand, Terry, Lampard and Gerrard for starters

I agree, but I wouldn't stop there. I wouldn't pick a single member that played for us in that world cup again. Including Wayne Rooney, young or not, should be absolutely ashamed of themselves.

Stop! Paying players to play for England, how ridiculous.
Start! Picking players that want to play for the shirt, not the fame and fortune that go with it.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:00 pm

Oddly enough there's Carlo Ancelloti at Chelsea, Mancini isn't doing too badly at City, Ferguson's Govan twang hasn't stopped him, The Serbian manager working for Ghana isn't doing terribly either...

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:24 pm

Anyone supporting a premier league club is a traitor to the country and to football. Burn them!

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:26 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:Anyone supporting a premier league club is a traitor to the country and to football. Burn them!

I think it is acceptable if it is your home Town/City, but I get your point.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:25 am

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:

Oddly enough there's Carlo Ancelloti at Chelsea, Mancini isn't doing too badly at City, Ferguson's Govan twang hasn't stopped him, The Serbian manager working for Ghana isn't doing terribly either...

I think you'll find that Otto Rehagel's command of Greek is non existant and he took them to the Euro Championship

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:58 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:

I think you'll find that Otto Rehagel's command of Greek is non existant and he took them to the Euro Championship

Guus Hiddink's Korean was top notch, I hear...

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:16 pm

Listening to Capello makes my head hurt.

Return to England Highs & Lows