Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Goal line technology.

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Goal line technology.

Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:33 pm

For or Against?
For all the money sky throw at football perhaps they should come up with a credible plan. Either replays or chips in the ball. Today we saw replays within 20 sec's does this time need to come down for it to be credible? 5,10,or 15 what would be an acceptable delay. The german keepers actions from a professional point of view probably made the ref's mind up and within 30 seconds the ball was up the other end.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Re: Goal line technology.

Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:34 pm

For. In all pro leagues and international stadiums.

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:47 pm

My concerns are can it be applied to all 4 leagues equally. Plenty of cameras in the prem but leagues one and two its usually one on the centre stand.
Hawkeye is good for tennis but only availiable on the show courts. Cameras in the goal posts? What happens if after a thunderbolt hits the post it breaks the camera. Do you stop the game to replace the posts? Not as easy as a cricket stump!

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:50 pm

Rich Evans wrote:My concerns are can it be applied to all 4 leagues equally. Plenty of cameras in the prem but leagues one and two its usually one on the centre stand.

Perhaps the rich kids in the Premier League can fund it. Oh, hang on, all the money's been extracted by businesses and what's left are shells of clubs owing millions upon millions....

Football's a fast game, free-flowing, and to stop it every time there's a dispute would kill it as a sport, even more so than throwing tons of money to a rampant few and expecting the game to improve. No, say I.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:52 pm

%100 for

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:05 pm

For, just.

I still think they are almost right in saying they want the game to be the same no matter what level. You cant just have it in the Premier league, and then not in league two can you? It ay fair.

Also when are you going to stop the game, because play goes on. What if they went up t'other end and scored? Or someone got sent off?

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:21 pm

are we discounting the other option of microchips in the ball? That would be instant enough for exile?

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:24 pm

I dont see why the extra linesmen behind the goal arent being used, it would of solved this problem, and it solves alot more. And you can do it all throughout no problems.

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:26 pm

latviancheese wrote:For, just.

I still think they are almost right in saying they want the game to be the same no matter what level. You cant just have it in the Premier league, and then not in league two can you? It ay fair.

Also when are you going to stop the game, because play goes on. What if they went up t'other end and scored? Or someone got sent off?

This is why I asked what time delay would make it more attractive to fifa. Today in 20 sec's we saw the ball over the line as would the 4th official. Does the replay need to be instant or 5 sec's delay? The ref is wearing an earpiece so can communicate with the other official.

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:28 pm

latviancheese wrote:I dont see why the extra linesmen behind the goal arent being used, it would of solved this problem, and it solves alot more. And you can do it all throughout no problems.

Depends if that is there only remit. Goalline incidents or do they cover the area too?

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:31 pm

latviancheese wrote:I dont see why the extra linesmen behind the goal arent being used, it would of solved this problem, and it solves alot more. And you can do it all throughout no problems.

And there were still some farcical decisions in the uefa cup with the man on the line. Missed handballs and penalty's

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:32 pm

I'm certainly for it, but the disallowed goal today doesn't excuse the shocking goals conceeded prior.

I don't think suggesting that 2-2 at half time would've changed things holds any weight. The reasons England were not good enough today (and throughout the tournament) are deeper rooted than these incidents.

tinned
Site Addict

Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:40 pm

FFS England players stop blaming the "goal" for the defeat - you were crap, pure and simple.

Jeremy Busby
UTS Veteran

Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:48 pm

I am more in favour of the extra ref behind the goal line system as used in the Europa Cup.

And there would be the same power as a linesman. Brings anything he sees to the attention of the ref. After all they are sound wired to each other these days.

Would give an extra pair of eyes to goal line (like today) and an extra pair of eyes at a much different angle for penalty or otherwise decisions. There would still be mistakes. Thats human error, but it might and I stress might, eliminate some mistakes as well.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:01 pm

Jeremy Busby wrote:I am more in favour of the extra ref behind the goal line system as used in the Europa Cup.

And there would be the same power as a linesman. Brings anything he sees to the attention of the ref. After all they are sound wired to each other these days.

Would give an extra pair of eyes to goal line (like today) and an extra pair of eyes at a much different angle for penalty or otherwise decisions. There would still be mistakes. Thats human error, but it might and I stress might, eliminate some mistakes as well.

I agree completely. That would be the solution for me.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:06 pm

For.

At 2-2 the psychology would have changed and a different game unfolded. Still massive holes in the English game which were exposed, but it could have been different.

If the FA would do something about it then it would be some consolation. But in 20 years time there will still be demands for action. :roll:

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:12 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:For.

At 2-2 the psychology would have changed and a different game unfolded. Still massive holes in the English game which were exposed, but it could have been different.

If the FA would do something about it then it would be some consolation. But in 20 years time there will still be demands for action. :roll:

Exactly. It's a straw man argument deployed to distract people from the more obvious problems with England.

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:10 pm

Interesting comment from the inventor of hawkeye in an article on the bbc. Using the availiable technology the ref could have known the ball crossed the line in half a second. Now is that a sales pitch or would that silence the doubters who want a fast flowing game. If true then perhaps the option should be trialed asap.

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:16 pm

Against.

I would much rather use the Europa League's extra officials approach which proved a success but didn't get the credit it deserved. I was sceptical about it originally but it passed almost not talked about at all once it was used, in a good way though, like that central midfielder you don't notice until he's not there and then realise how important their role is to the team.
I don't want to lose the human error or possible controversy, even if it is against your team. I was furious yesterday and I was even angry for Mexico but it happens. More officials would get less decisions wrong but keep that human feel to the game.

For the record though, neither the England 'goal' or the Tevez 'offside' should've needed video replays. They were both just awful, awful decisions.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:08 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:For.

I don't agree, at 2-2 , we would have still gone on and lost, I honestly believe that. They were so much better than us in every single way. We still had the second half to come up with something, and ended up getting stuffed good and proper, it would have probably been 6-2 instead. If you really think we would have gone on and won it, then i ask you to sit down and really think about it.

As for the goal line technology, it can be done, so I guess it should be done. However there is no excuse for them getting that wrong yesterday, I knew it was in first time, the ball bounced diagonally back up to the cross bar. Ridiculous, officials should start being disciplined and sacked for these errors they are making. No excuse what so ever, sorry.

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:13 pm

No.
It'll kill the game.
I like to be able to talk about controversial decisions in the pub with my friends.
Yes, decisions will go against us, but we arent the first team to have it go against us.
I am as upset as you lot at the decision yesterday afternoon but its football, these things happen and I dont think goal line technology will do anything for the good of the game.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:14 pm

Against - for the reason the "goal" showed - the game didn't stop, Germany went down the other end and nearly scored. So what would happen if they had scored, yet the game had been dragged back to the other end? Riots. Just get officials to do their jobs properly - let's face it, I can't for the life of me understand why the linesman in the Argentina game could ever have thought Tevez was on side.

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:45 pm

saddlersam wrote:Against.

I would much rather use the Europa League's extra officials approach which proved a success but didn't get the credit it deserved. I was sceptical about it originally but it passed almost not talked about at all once it was used, in a good way though, like that central midfielder you don't notice until he's not there and then realise how important their role is to the team.
I don't want to lose the human error or possible controversy, even if it is against your team. I was furious yesterday and I was even angry for Mexico but it happens. More officials would get less decisions wrong but keep that human feel to the game.

For the record though, neither the England 'goal' or the Tevez 'offside' should've needed video replays. They were both just awful, awful decisions.

If you call missed penaltys and hand balls and not to mention sending the wrong player off a success then why not.

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:50 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Against - for the reason the "goal" showed - the game didn't stop, Germany went down the other end and nearly scored. So what would happen if they had scored, yet the game had been dragged back to the other end? Riots. Just get officials to do their jobs properly - let's face it, I can't for the life of me understand why the linesman in the Argentina game could ever have thought Tevez was on side.

Are you discounting the inventor of hawkeyes comments that with in half a second the ref would have known it was a goal. Not getting my stopwatch out but I bet the ball hadn't left the keepers hands. Like I said maybe its a sales pitch but perhaps it needs trialing.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:29 am

Rich Evans wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Against - for the reason the "goal" showed - the game didn't stop, Germany went down the other end and nearly scored. So what would happen if they had scored, yet the game had been dragged back to the other end? Riots. Just get officials to do their jobs properly - let's face it, I can't for the life of me understand why the linesman in the Argentina game could ever have thought Tevez was on side.

Are you discounting the inventor of hawkeyes comments that with in half a second the ref would have known it was a goal. Not getting my stopwatch out but I bet the ball hadn't left the keepers hands. Like I said maybe its a sales pitch but perhaps it needs trialing.

Yes, i am discounting it - because the game didn't stop. That;s the crucuial point. In cricket, there's an obvious break, in football, there isn't

addo
UTS Veteran

Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:01 am

Its a difficult call as whatever is introduced would need to be followed through into all levels of the game.

The easiest option would be to replace the turf inside the goals with a sandpit.
In that case balls will not bounce back into play , they will just hit the floor and stay there.
This could be adopted fairly cheaply

Its a harder decision though when the ball doesn't hit the floor.
Decisions like these will always be the most difficult as most likely there will be defenders on the line blocking the line of sight of officials - or maybe even goal line technology itself.

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:11 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
Rich Evans wrote:

Yes, i am discounting it - because the game didn't stop. That;s the crucuial point. In cricket, there's an obvious break, in football, there isn't

I agree the game didn't stop but what exactly happened within one second of the ball crossing the line. Nothing happened. The ref could easily blown his whistle and awarded the goal. But I suppose there is no pleasing everyone.

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:50 am

Rich Evans wrote:
saddlersam wrote:Against.

If you call missed penaltys and hand balls and not to mention sending the wrong player off a success then why not.

For a start i don't remember those. May have happened but i don't remember them. As far as i remember they wroked pretty well without much fuss.

Your arguement doesn't work in the context of this thread anyway though, you asked about goal line technology and I can guarantee the extra officials wouldn't have missed that goal.

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:06 am

Blatter apologises and says the debate on goal line technology will be re-opened

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8771294.stm

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:53 am

addo wrote:Its a difficult call as whatever is introduced would need to be followed through into all levels of the game.

The easiest option would be to replace the turf inside the goals with a sandpit.
In that case balls will not bounce back into play , they will just hit the floor and stay there.
This could be adopted fairly cheaply

Its a harder decision though when the ball doesn't hit the floor.
Decisions like these will always be the most difficult as most likely there will be defenders on the line blocking the line of sight of officials - or maybe even goal line technology itself.

Not a bad idea to be fair, but what about if the ball doesnt hit the floor, and the keeper just claws it out of the goal before it touches the sand? It's a good idea but the debate would once again rage on when something like that happened.

Next
Return to England Highs & Lows