Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Goal line technology.

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Exile
Jobsworth

Re: Goal line technology.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:56 am

No goal. Easy as...

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:12 am

Exile wrote:No goal. Easy as...

Damn, sorry linesman, sorry Germany & sorry Sepp, we all got it wrong!

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:23 am

priestley_saddler wrote:Blatter apologises and says the debate on goal line technology will be re-opened

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8771294.stm

What a complete and utter idiot this bloke is.
Great, England and Mexico FA have received an apology. Thanks. NOT!

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:38 am

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:For.

At 2-2 the psychology would have changed and a different game unfolded. Still massive holes in the English game which were exposed, but it could have been different.

If the FA would do something about it then it would be some consolation. But in 20 years time there will still be demands for action. :roll:

I don't agree, at 2-2 , we would have still gone on and lost, I honestly believe that. They were so much better than us in every single way. We still had the second half to come up with something, and ended up getting stuffed good and proper, it would have probably been 6-2 instead. If you really think we would have gone on and won it, then i ask you to sit down and really think about it.

As for the goal line technology, it can be done, so I guess it should be done. However there is no excuse for them getting that wrong yesterday, I knew it was in first time, the ball bounced diagonally back up to the cross bar. Ridiculous, officials should start being disciplined and sacked for these errors they are making. No excuse what so ever, sorry.

Without the benefit of a crystal ball - whose to say what would, wouldn't have happened?

2-2 in what, 2 minutes? And a German team with a rotten defence would have gone on to win 6-2 without so much as a pause for breath. England were dreadfully exposed in the game as it unfolded and maybe it could have worked out the same way, but one of the most annoying things about this game is that Germany aren't very good at the back and the keeper is rubbish.

Hopefully this result will mean something happens, but I don't think so.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:54 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:

At 2-2 the psychology would have changed and a different game unfolded. Still massive holes in the English game which were exposed, but it could have been different.

If the FA would do something about it then it would be some consolation. But in 20 years time there will still be demands for action. :roll:

I don't agree, at 2-2 , we would have still gone on and lost, I honestly believe that. They were so much better than us in every single way. We still had the second half to come up with something, and ended up getting stuffed good and proper, it would have probably been 6-2 instead. If you really think we would have gone on and won it, then i ask you to sit down and really think about it.

As for the goal line technology, it can be done, so I guess it should be done. However there is no excuse for them getting that wrong yesterday, I knew it was in first time, the ball bounced diagonally back up to the cross bar. Ridiculous, officials should start being disciplined and sacked for these errors they are making. No excuse what so ever, sorry.

Without the benefit of a crystal ball - whose to say what would, wouldn't have happened?

2-2 in what, 2 minutes? And a German team with a rotten defence would have gone on to win 6-2 without so much as a pause for breath. England were dreadfully exposed in the game as it unfolded and maybe it could have worked out the same way, but one of the most annoying things about this game is that Germany aren't very good at the back and the keeper is rubbish.

Spot on.
2-2 at half time would have made a MASSIVE difference to the tactics in the second half.
To say it could have been 6-2 is ridiculous when you consider they only managed another 2 when England were throwing cautin to the wind.
It something we will never know, but its something we should have known.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:10 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:

Spot on.
2-2 at half time would have made a MASSIVE difference to the tactics in the second half.
To say it could have been 6-2 is ridiculous when you consider they only managed another 2 when England were throwing cautin to the wind.
It something we will never know, but its something we should have known.

Throwing caution to the wind ? Did you watch the same match ? It was an overstatement with the 6-2 line, but I still honestly believe they would have gone on and beat us. Every time they attacked they looked like scoring, every time we attacked, we looked lost of ideas.

Anyway, the point is, no replay was needed to make this decision, it was so blatantly obvious. If we are to introduce extra technology I sincerely hope refs are going to take a whacking pay cut. More and more often, they are just completely incompetent, and should be disciplined, then sacked if they don't comply.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:19 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
Throwing caution to the wind ? Did you watch the same match ? It was an overstatement with the 6-2 line, but I still honestly believe they would have gone on and beat us. Every time they attacked they looked like scoring, every time we attacked, we looked lost of ideas.

Anyway, the point is, no replay was needed to make this decision, it was so blatantly obvious. If we are to introduce extra technology I sincerely hope refs are going to take a whacking pay cut. More and more often, they are just completely incompetent, and should be disciplined, then sacked if they don't comply.

I believe the people that wanted to test this technology stated on tv that it was impossible for the linesman to see if the ball went over from where he was positioned, taking into account his height.
So you cant really blame him for not giving it.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:41 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:

I believe the people that wanted to test this technology stated on tv that it was impossible for the linesman to see if the ball went over from where he was positioned, taking into account his height.

Maybe he should be positioned correctly ? Just a thought, it is a job after all. If they can execute the technology in a quick and efficient manner than it could be a good thing, but I still think officials need to start being made accountable for some of the huge errors they make.

Also how far the football ladder do they use this for ?

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:55 pm

At least the out of date and inept Blatter is now considering goal line technology and as apologized to the FA.

For what its worth

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Goal line technology.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:22 pm

What I don't like is the punishment of refs by sticking them down in the "lower leagues". 'Course, we don't care about bad decisions. Don't really matter, do they?

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:28 pm

King Crimson wrote:What I don't like is the punishment of refs by sticking them down in the "lower leagues". 'Course, we don't care about bad decisions. Don't really matter, do they?

I agree, I have always thought that was a shocking way of going about things. I honestly believe they need to start making examples of a few officials for ridiculous errors they make. They are only human, but sometimes there really is no excuse.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:28 pm

King Crimson wrote:What I don't like is the punishment of refs by sticking them down in the "lower leagues". 'Course, we don't care about bad decisions. Don't really matter, do they?

I agree.

Jeremy Busby
UTS Veteran

Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:01 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:

Maybe he should be positioned correctly ? Just a thought, it is a job after all. If they can execute the technology in a quick and efficient manner than it could be a good thing, but I still think officials need to start being made accountable for some of the huge errors they make.

I think you will find that he was positioned correctly. if you knew anything about refereing you would know that. Judging if the ball is over the line is only one job of the assistant referee. His other and some would say main job is help the referee make offside judgements. To that end he stays with the last defender. Lampard was outside the penalty area, and the last defender was at best somewhere near the edge of the box. That is where the assistant would have been and should have been as well.

Judging over the line is easy for the assistant at times like corners. Not nearly so easy as we have seen when the shot comes in from distance from broken play.

I think it is about time we gave the bloke a break. The referee would probably have been if just as good a position to judge

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:03 pm

Spoken like a true official. :mrgreen:

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:12 pm

Jeremy Busby wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:

I think you will find that he was positioned correctly. if you knew anything about refereing you would know that. Judging if the ball is over the line is only one job of the assistant referee. His other and some would say main job is help the referee make offside judgements. To that end he stays with the last defender. Lampard was outside the penalty area, and the last defender was at best somewhere near the edge of the box. That is where the assistant would have been and should have been as well.

Judging over the line is easy for the assistant at times like corners. Not nearly so easy as we have seen when the shot comes in from distance from broken play.

I think it is about time we gave the bloke a break. The referee would probably have been if just as good a position to judge

Well let the Ref make the decision then, and let him be held responsable for it. Why should they be given a break ? It wasn't even close, it was impossible for the ball not to have gone in the way it bounced. I knew it first time I saw it, and so did everyone else.

Officials may stick together, but if anyone else did their jobs so badly, they would be out the door. 3 yellow cards anyone ?

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:20 pm

Sky Sports made some graphic thing and positioned the camera where the linesman, ref, would of both been.
Its very, very difficult to tell from there positions whether the ball was over the line.
They were in the correct positions, anybody to think otherwise doesnt know where they should be.
The blame lies with nobody, it was very unfortunate.

Jeremy Busby
UTS Veteran

Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:27 am

Exile wrote:Spoken like a true official. :mrgreen:

Only in cricket mate :wink:

Jeremy Busby
UTS Veteran

Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:53 am

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
Jeremy Busby wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:

Well let the Ref make the decision then, and let him be held responsable for it. Why should they be given a break ? It wasn't even close, it was impossible for the ball not to have gone in the way it bounced. I knew it first time I saw it, and so did everyone else.

Officials may stick together, but if anyone else did their jobs so badly, they would be out the door. 3 yellow cards anyone ?

I am not saying a mistake was not made. I leapt out of my chair with excitement when the shot went in because I thought it had crossed the line.

One thing I will say though is that I know from personal experience with cricket that TV cameras dont give the same view as the ref gets on the ground.
Cameras are elevated and give the TV viewer a better view than you get at ground level

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:54 am

Yeah, I understand that. I look at the reaction of players to gauge things often. The England players weren't looking in hope, they were looking in disbelief that it hadn't been given.

I think the technology being used is inevitable now. For goal line incidents it could work, I just hope it doesn't go further and further, for all decisions, making the game stop start , stop start.

Jeremy Busby
UTS Veteran

Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:08 am

Blazing_Saddler wrote:Yeah, I understand that. I look at the reaction of players to gauge things often. The England players weren't looking in hope, they were looking in disbelief that it hadn't been given.

I think the technology being used is inevitable now. For goal line incidents it could work, I just hope it doesn't go further and further, for all decisions, making the game stop start , stop start.

I mentioned earlier in this thread that I would prefer to see the extra Assistant Referee working the goal line rather than technology. We dont see incidents like Sundays often in football. I am quite sure that had this happened at a corner and the normal Assistant Referee had been on the line then the goal would have been given because a pair of eyes from the referee team would have been on the line ie the perfect position to judge.

To me a bigger blight on the game is simualtion or diving or whatever you want to call it. I know I will be considerd biased, but the NZ team at this world cup were victim to an Italian player going down very easily in the area and conning a penalty. Sure, at one point in the move, a young defender (who plays for Ipswich) did have a brief hold of the Italian shirt, but you see that constantly at corners etc and it was well let go before the player literally flopped to the turf. In short, the referee was conned.

I learnt a long time ago in my dealings with professional cricketers who these days have a zero tolerance of umpire mistakes that angles are everything. The best quote I have ever heard from a sports official came from Pierre Luigi Colina. "Officials in top sports know what correct decisions are. The best officials get themselves in the right place to make them." In my view, that goalline offical can be in the best human eye position to prevent a repeat of Sunday in non corner situations, and also be another pair of eyes from a different angle to aid the simulation detection around the penalty area. This would also not stop the flow of the game as we know it now with that official communicating with the referee in a similar way to the existing Assistants where required. If such an assistant had been in place in Paris last November, just maybe the bars of South Africa might and only might have sold during this world cup, less glasses of French red wine and more pints of Irish Guiness keeping the visiting fans happy

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:45 am

Stuff goal line technology. how about Fussball! With LEGO!!!

http://www.legofussball.eu/

King Monkey
UTS Veteran

Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:04 am

Exile wrote:Stuff goal line technology. how about Fussball! With LEGO!!!

http://www.legofussball.eu/

Lego Fussball is ace, never fails to put smile on my face :D

Previous
Return to England Highs & Lows