Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Rooney

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
The Red Prince
Site Addict

Rooney

Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:31 pm

Has this World Cup seen his fall from grace?

The best players in the world don't go missing in big tournaments the way he did.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Re: Rooney

Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:35 pm

The Red Prince wrote:Has this World Cup seen his fall from grace?

The best players in the world don't go missing in big tournaments the way he did.

You can add Terry, Lampard and possibly Gerrard (though he does have the out of position excuse.)

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:40 pm

You could say the same for Messi and Torres difference is they still have a chance to shine .

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:43 pm

Duke wrote:

You could say the same for Messi and Torres difference is they still have a chance to shine .

You could - the difference is we haven't got a Villa, Xavi, Iniesta, Ramos, Alonso, Mata, Tevez, Higuain, Milito to take up the slack.

And they're just from the two teams you mentioned.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:57 pm

"World Class" banded about too often.

Messi is World Class, So is Villa. They are the only two i have seen so far i would call "world class".

deanonev69
Glitterati

Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:17 pm

Go missing-was he ever there????

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:10 am

latviancheese wrote:"World Class" banded about too often.

Messi is World Class, So is Villa. They are the only two i have seen so far i would call "world class".

Xavi is a god, and so is Andres Iniesta. I think we have also seen an absolutely superb Xabi Alonso thus far too (his team at Real has took him up a notch imho).

I agree with the sentiment though...There only a few true world class performers out there. I think you really need to consider Mesut Ozil now as a real emerging world talent - he has been magnificent thus far.

Other players that spring to mind are Andrea Pirlo, Robinho, Kaka (granted indifferent of late but still a top, top player), Felipe Melo, Arjen Robben, Sneijder and Maicon who are real gods.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:09 am

Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:
latviancheese wrote:"World Class" banded about too often.

Xavi is a god, and so is Andres Iniesta. I think we have also seen an absolutely superb Xabi Alonso thus far too (his team at Real has took him up a notch imho).

I agree with the sentiment though...There only a few true world class performers out there. I think you really need to consider Mesut Ozil now as a real emerging world talent - he has been magnificent thus far.

Other players that spring to mind are Andrea Pirlo, Robinho, Kaka (granted indifferent of late but still a top, top player), Felipe Melo, Arjen Robben, Sneijder and Maicon who are real gods.

Gods? Hardly gods, good players yes.

Sneijder is a class player. Xavi also.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:20 am

latviancheese wrote:
Bangor Cymru Saddler wrote:Xavi is a god, and so is Andres Iniesta. I think we have also seen an absolutely superb Xabi Alonso thus far, too, (his team at Real has took him up a notch imho).

I agree with the sentiment though ... There only a few true world class performers out there. I think you really need to consider Mesut Ozil now as a real emerging world talent - he has been magnificent thus far.

Gods? Hardly gods, good players yes.

You must remember, LC, that Metfanwy has a penchant for hyperbole. He doesn't do "shades of grey". :mrgreen:

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:50 am

Duke wrote:

Rooney has the attributes of a top class English footballer, Messi has the attributes of a world class footballer.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:55 am

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:

You can add Terry, Lampard and possibly Gerrard (though he does have the out of position excuse.)

Agree about Terry and Lampard, but not about Gerrard, who was played out left mostly, and as you will know you can get isolated on the wing.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:57 am

Rooney was god damn awful. How he wasnt dropped after the Algeria game I dont know. I said it from the off that he looked unfit or not bothered.

Id have sent him packing after his post-Algeria match comments. No one player is bigger than the team, sorry Wayne, go home.

TimWilkes
Glitterati

Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:07 am

David Blaine is gutted because his record of doing eff all in a box for 42 days has
been broken by Wayne Rooney

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:18 pm

mmm, I don't think Gerrard has been AS bad , but I wouldn't ever pick him again. He is still much better than he has showed, whatever position he is asked to play in. Really, get rid of them all, make them more of an embarrassment than they already are.

Rooney is a prize pratt, and deserves to end up doing a window round or something.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:50 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:

mmm, I don't think Gerrard has been AS bad , but I wouldn't ever pick him again. He is still much better than he has showed, whatever position he is asked to play in. Really, get rid of them all, make them more of an embarrassment than they already are.

Rooney is a prize pratt, and deserves to end up doing a window round or something.

Sausage and Phil... I didn't say they were bad players but they have all definitely seen a fall from grace.

Terry has been found out as a second rate centre half though against a striker that he is meant to pocket as bread and butter in Klose and Muller.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:06 am

Rooney = PUG

Return to England Highs & Lows