Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Arrivederci

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
The Red Prince
Site Addict

Arrivederci

Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:57 pm

Mr Capello!!

Another on the long list who have tried, but failed, to lead a bunch of preening prima-donnas, who value their clubs far more than their country, to any sort of glory.

I think we should disband the England team till we have players who have pride and passion for their country!

latviancheese
Site Addict

Re: Arrivederci

Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:04 pm

Good riddance. You can hark on about Sven all you like, the fact is. Capello was nowhere near Sven!

Utter utter drivel.

Hodgson is english, he has a great record in international football. Give him the job,although hed be stupid to take it.

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Arrivederci

Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:04 pm

I agree.

Surely the F.A. Keep putting their oar in to influence the team selection, as the 4 matches we played, were pathetic, and some of the tactical decisions were on par with Hutchings last season

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:05 pm

Thats a bit harsh, on Hutchings.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:21 pm

The England manager should be an Englishman .

The Red Prince
Site Addict

Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:27 pm

Duke wrote:The England manager should be an Englishman .

We have no hope whoever takes over, even if it was Jose.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:04 pm

The Red Prince wrote:
Duke wrote:The England manager should be an Englishman .

We have no hope whoever takes over, even if it was Jose.

Dunno! Ban Premier League players from selection and we might get somewhere. :wink:

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:21 pm

latviancheese wrote:Good riddance. You can hark on about Sven all you like, the fact is. Capello was nowhere near Sven!

Utter utter drivel.

Hodgson is english, he has a great record in international football. Give him the job,although hed be stupid to take it.

Balls. Just because Cappello failed miserably, doesn't suddenly make Sven any good. He failed miserably , I reckon the memories of the last world cup have faded away, have a think back, and it was no better at all. One round better, based on the fact we didn't bump in to anyone any good in the 2nd round.

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:25 pm

Hodgson has proven international experience.
Redknapp has already came out and said he wants the job.
So, who's it gunna be?
Oh, and, David Beckham as his number 2!

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:54 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
latviancheese wrote:Good riddance. You can hark on about Sven all you like, the fact is. Capello was nowhere near Sven!

Utter utter drivel.

Balls. Just because Cappello failed miserably, doesn't suddenly make Sven any good. He failed miserably , I reckon the memories of the last world cup have faded away, have a think back, and it was no better at all. One round better, based on the fact we didn't bump in to anyone any good in the 2nd round.

Wasn't one of our best ever runs of results under Sven?! He stayed too long, lost the dressing room but i think what's faded away is the fact that he wasn't all that bad once the players were on the pitch.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:07 pm

saddlersam wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:

Utter utter drivel.

Wasn't one of our best ever runs of results under Sven?! He stayed too long, lost the dressing room but i think what's faded away is the fact that he wasn't all that bad once the players were on the pitch.

He wasn't the worst, just same old, same old really. Quarter Finals isn't too bad for his world cup attempts, and we actually were quite unlucky in Euro 2004, although I blame his tactics for Portugal being allowed back in the game to some extent. So yes he has done better than Cappello, but not by much.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:07 am

I dont remember us playing like world beaters but i certainly never saw piss poor performances like i have under Capello. If anything he is identical to Sven, unable to play anything but a 4 4 f***** 2, with no plan b. No balls to drop players either.

Capello was tactically clueless against Germany, continued to play a 4 man midfield against 5. Ozil had the free run of the whole pitch, all game. Terry had to keep coming out and a simple flick and that was it with our oil tankers in defence.

Capello couldn't find a plan to break down Algeria. His only tactic was usually to take off our only attacking threat and replace him with SWP the most over rated footballer in existence.

Although it did look like Capello was about to cry the other day. Im sure he really did care. Our players are not the players the press thinkt hey are, but even with average players we should of played better.

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:15 am

latviancheese wrote:I dont remember us playing like world beaters but i certainly never saw pee poor performances like i have under Capello. If anything he is identical to Sven, unable to play anything but a 4 4 f***** 2, with no plan b. No balls to drop players either.

Capello was tactically clueless against Germany, continued to play a 4 man midfield against 5. Ozil had the free run of the whole pitch, all game. Terry had to keep coming out and a simple flick and that was it with our oil tankers in defence.

Ecuador in the last World Cup? 2006 was atrocious all the way through. As much as i think this year was utter, utter toss, I'd like to point out you can only play (and hopefully beat) the team in front of you. In 2006 we got a round further because we were playing an at the time poor Ecuadorian side and not a fast, free flowing, young and hungry German side.
The Sweden game hurt it was so poor.
2006 was just as bad.
2002 - Sven was tactically clueless against Brazil. We honestly could've had them, we were building a very, very good team which emerged strong and hungry in 2004. Was it Southgate that said "at half time [in the Brazil game] we needed Winston Churchill and got Ian Duncan Smith"?

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:25 am

saddlersam wrote:
latviancheese wrote:I dont remember us playing like world beaters but i certainly never saw pee poor performances like i have under Capello. If anything he is identical to Sven, unable to play anything but a 4 4 f***** 2, with no plan b. No balls to drop players either.

Ecuador in the last World Cup? 2006 was atrocious all the way through. As much as i think this year was utter, utter toss, I'd like to point out you can only play (and hopefully beat) the team in front of you. In 2006 we got a round further because we were playing an at the time poor Ecuadorian side and not a fast, free flowing, young and hungry German side.
The Sweden game hurt it was so poor.
2006 was just as bad.
2002 - Sven was tactically clueless against Brazil. We honestly could've had them, we were building a very, very good team which emerged strong and hungry in 2004. Was it Southgate that said "at half time [in the Brazil game] we needed Winston Churchill and got Ian Duncan Smith"?

Did we ever get utterly cack on? No.

Just for the record, i didnt really like Sven either. He had the personality of a Trout.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:05 pm

latviancheese wrote:Just for the record, I didn't really like Sven, either. He had the personality of a trout.

... but a very randy trout! :mrgreen:

Return to England Highs & Lows