Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Germany v England

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
motty
UTS Legend

Re: Germany v England

Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:09 pm

Had the whole vonversation about "Premier league" at pub resovling in the mutual agreement that the englsnd team should be made up of non premier league players.Id rather have seen a 20-0 thrashing than i what i witnessed today last 20 minutes they just didnt care.Fingers crossed for premier league going global and getting a proper english league back with english players.NO ENGLISH TEAM SHOULD HAVE MORE THAN 3 FOREIGN PLAYERS.FACT.

deanonev69
Glitterati

Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:14 pm

Awful performance. Can't believe how far we were behind that German side and there was me thinking it would be our men against their boys-totally other way round.

5 weeks 6 days! Then it'll really matter

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Germany v England

Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:52 am

caught_u_red_handed wrote:NO ENGLISH TEAM SHOULD HAVE MORE THAN 3 FOREIGN PLAYERS.FACT.

Just two things on this:
a) does that include us? I remember happy days of Pedro, Zigor, Gabby and Jorge....
b) presumably we wouldn't have allowed Giggs and Darren Fletcher to play if Nani and Vidic were on the field. Same in the "good old days" with Dalglish, Hansen, Souness...

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:29 am

I was too angry to post on this subject yesterday, so sensibly waited till the morning after.

Well, we've been well and truly dicked by a poor german side. They looked abysmal at the back and how Mertersacker keeps playing in major tournaments is beyond me. For 20mins either side of half time we could and should have routed them. A Liverpool-Milan style comeback had them absolutely rocking and had that Lampard goal been allowed, it would have certainly been on.

However, the totally inept schoolboy defending is what has cost us the game. Where Terry was for the first goal, I do not know - probably thinking about Mrs Bridge I imagine. This man has conducted himself appallingly before and throughout the tournament and hasn't even defended well in that game. If Capello really does have a backbone and an ego (and Jesus, he does about 4-4-2), he should start here. Whenever we were chasing the game, we at least had the excuse of being caught on the counter attack, but the first two goals were the shockers that cost us the game. Their strikers have scored 9 club goals between them and we allowed them to walk the ball into the net four times.

Still Sepp must be pleased with himself this morning. I'm sure he was applauding enthusiastically in his Von Smallhausen flasher mac, standing behind hilarious Hilary Minster as General Von Klinkerhoffen.

motty
UTS Legend

Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:18 am

King Crimson wrote:
caught_u_red_handed wrote:NO ENGLISH TEAM SHOULD HAVE MORE THAN 3 FOREIGN PLAYERS.FACT.

Just two things on this:
a) does that include us? I remember happy days of Pedro, Zigor, Gabby and Jorge....
b) presumably we wouldn't have allowed Giggs and Darren Fletcher to play if Nani and Vidic were on the field. Same in the "good old days" with Dalglish, Hansen, Souness...

A. I may have had a few too many fruity beverages last night :mrgreen: But in principle yes it does include us and i do thin in ten years time we would have twice the national team.
B. It would be the u.k like everything else if we did it,In the heat of the moment last night i said england.But i do still think something has got to change drastically.

Goose277
Glitterati

Location: One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got in my pyjamas, I don't know

Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:54 am

We need an English manager with the balls to make big decisions when needed. Instill some pride and passion into the overpaid primadonnas.

Winston Smith
UTS Regular

Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:39 am

I don’t know how the English team are returning to the UK later on today?

But it should be in a Hercules Transporter landing at Brize Norton.
The team should be immediately arrested by the Border Control Agency/Immigration Authorities
and made to prove their nationality. Because I couldn’t see eleven Englishmen on that pitch yesterday!!!!

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:19 am

Goose277 wrote:We need an English manager with the balls to make big decisions when needed. Instill some pride and passion into the overpaid primadonnas.

And in my opinion that quote is so far wide of the mark it's untrue.

Who would you get in? Seriously.

'Arry "Triffic" Redknapp - Does it with money. Cant see the infactuation with the bloke. It boils my blood at the thought of him being England manager.

Lovely Woy Hodgson - who would be nothing short of a stop gap who would stabilse but not be there to bring the young players through like we'd need the next manager too.

Erm.....erm.....who else? With a viable arguement.

Passion IS NOT THE PROBLEM. The problem is the fact that our players are not tacticaly intelligent enough, they cant take a game by the scruff and have no plan B themselves, let alone coming from the manager. Our playres are simply not good enough right now. We're in fallow times at the minute.

Some might see this as controversial but I would stick with Capello, at least until after the Euros. We will see players retire from international duty one by one and others slowly breaking through (I pray).

We just need to accept that we aren't a great footballing nation at the minute and it's the Premier League in my opinion that needs to change that, not a quick fire change of management. Again.

Take a look at this article:

http://www.football365.com/john_nicholson/0,17033,8746_6235501,00.html

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:31 pm

Sam's right. The word passion gets banded around like a bongo magazine on a navy ship. Passion on its own won't win games. Plus, what is the definition of passion then? A poster of Rooney glaring on a Nike advert? give me strength......

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:36 pm

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:54 pm

derbysaddler wrote:Sam's right. The word passion gets banded around like a bongo magazine on a navy ship. Passion on its own won't win games. Plus, what is the definition of passion then? A poster of Rooney glaring on a Nike advert? give me strength......

Exactly. Passion? I heard somebody say players shouldn't play for England if they don't give their all through the anthem... By Christ.

The redundancy of passion - I'd be passionate playing for England... Like Terry though, it doesn't mean I'll be very good.

deanonev69
Glitterati

Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:56 pm

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:34 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
derbysaddler wrote:Sam's right. The word passion gets banded around like a bongo magazine on a navy ship. Passion on its own won't win games. Plus, what is the definition of passion then? A poster of Rooney glaring on a Nike advert? give me strength......

Exactly. Passion? I heard somebody say players shouldn't play for England if they don't give their all through the anthem... By Christ.

The redundancy of passion - I'd be passionate playing for England... Like Terry though, it doesn't mean I'll be very good.

Be nice if they played like they gave a toss though. 3-1 down and i saw no fight.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:20 pm

King Crimson wrote:

Just two things on this:

I tend to agree that it isn't the answer, although some kind of ruling could be helpful.

Surely the problem lies much deeper. If the players were coming through at youth level were good enough, then they would make it in to the top sides. Manchester United wouldn't spend a fortune buying Berbatov for stupid amounts of money, if there were English players which they could basically pick and choose from which would make it. I think Ferguson has already proven this, he was more than happy to put his trust in a very young Scholes, Butt, Beckham, and Giggs (Yes I know he is Welsh) But you get the point.

A country which takes football so seriously, should be putting more in to youth development from a really young age.

I'm not sure if this is true, but I am sure you know, scouse mate of mine, told me Steve Highway resigned from the Liverpool youth academy some years ago, because the players he was being fed with weren't worth the hassle. Kind of stinks, and may possibly have something to do with Premiership transfer policy's. I

It may take 15-20 years for us to see the real benefit, but I for one would be quite happy to see an England team win the world cup in my life time, as it stands at the moment, it is never going to happen.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:22 pm

My problem doesn't lie with the genuine foreign class of the Premier League... It's the average ones that get bought because for some reason buying English is at a huge premium.

Previous
Return to England Highs & Lows