Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Capello

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
saddlersam
UTS Legend

Re: Capello

Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:51 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
saddlersam wrote:
Duke wrote:Capello says he wants to stay on , the FA will decide his future in 2 weeks time , if he stays on he realizes changes will have to be made and he will look at younger players .

If I was Fabio, after being told I would have to wait 2 weeks for a decision on my job, I'd tell them to stick it. He still has his dignity.

Wait until 'Arry comes in and gets his dream job, then you'll see how much we'd miss Capello.

You think he would do worse ? I'm sorry,but there is no worse than what has happened in my opinion. We may just as well have stayed at home, than not bother turning up at all. I don't blame Cappello (completely) the players are a bunch of (insert naughty word) but I fail to see why we should pay so much for a foreign manager, who in reality hasn't bought us on one little bit.

We have come on though, we didn't even qualify for Euro2008 (under an English manager)!! How can we not have come on?!!!

People need to accept we're no more that a last 16/last 8 team as we have been for years and probably will be for some time yet. We got beaten by a better team of younger, more hungry players.
There is no English manager out there, including the media darling 'Arry who incidentally was one of only a couple of managers that consistantly played 4-4-2 last season in the Premier League, the same formation that let us down this year in SA, that would do a better job than Capello. Yes we pay him too much, but that's neither here nor there because the players are paid that much too and even if they weren't it wouldn't make them more intelligent players or tactically better at their own position.
Redknapp only 24 hours ago said we should stick by Capello, now he's said we need to change. He can smell the money too, just like he's done everywhere else.
I'm sorry, but i fully disagree. After the initial results and the inevitable Redknapp gloating (did you ever hear him mention Spurs only had 2 points from 8 games when he took over?!) to the press our results will more than likely end up exactly the same as they have here. Of course though, he'll give the press what they want. A cheeky wink, little joke, a smile and a story. The Sun would be licking their lips.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:07 pm

Harry Redknapp's tactics... 4-4-2 with a big man/little man.

I live for change.

At least The Sun and closet racists would be happy.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:15 pm

saddlersam wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:
saddlersam wrote:
Duke wrote:Capello says he wants to stay on , the FA will decide his future in 2 weeks time , if he stays on he realizes changes will have to be made and he will look at younger players .

If I was Fabio, after being told I would have to wait 2 weeks for a decision on my job, I'd tell them to stick it. He still has his dignity.

Wait until 'Arry comes in and gets his dream job, then you'll see how much we'd miss Capello.

You think he would do worse ? I'm sorry,but there is no worse than what has happened in my opinion. We may just as well have stayed at home, than not bother turning up at all. I don't blame Cappello (completely) the players are a bunch of (insert naughty word) but I fail to see why we should pay so much for a foreign manager, who in reality hasn't bought us on one little bit.

We have come on though, we didn't even qualify for Euro2008 (under an English manager)!! How can we not have come on?!!!

People need to accept we're no more that a last 16/last 8 team as we have been for years and probably will be for some time yet. We got beaten by a better team of younger, more hungry players.
There is no English manager out there, including the media darling 'Arry who incidentally was one of only a couple of managers that consistantly played 4-4-2 last season in the Premier League, the same formation that let us down this year in SA, that would do a better job than Capello. Yes we pay him too much, but that's neither here nor there because the players are paid that much too and even if they weren't it wouldn't make them more intelligent players or tactically better at their own position.
Redknapp only 24 hours ago said we should stick by Capello, now he's said we need to change. He can smell the money too, just like he's done everywhere else.
I'm sorry, but i fully disagree. After the initial results and the inevitable Redknapp gloating (did you ever hear him mention Spurs only had 2 points from 8 games when he took over?!) to the press our results will more than likely end up exactly the same as they have here. Of course though, he'll give the press what they want. A cheeky wink, little joke, a smile and a story. The Sun would be licking their lips.

Redknapp isn't the only option, although I wouldn't mind him. He hasn't played 4-4-2 everywhere he has been, unlike some managers (long list of England managers) He adapts to the strengths of the team. You may not like him, can't say I am that keen on some of his interviews either, but I am certain he could have got us from qualification to the last 16. So yes the same results, but he is English, and in my opinion teams should not be allowed to use foreign coaches, and not paid stupid amounts of mahoney.

I have no doubt we will qualify for the Euro's with Cappello, but I don't honestly believe he deserves to stay in the job after that showing, you think we are a last 16 team, I think that your probably not far out, but we are better than what we showed in the four games we played, much better, the players have to be held responsable , but utlimately, he is the manager, and the buck stops with him.

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:20 pm

Redknapp??? Give me effing strength! They'll only appoint him to keep the Cockney hacks and Talkshite happy.

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:42 pm

Aint harry got a court date to worry about first. Sure the press would have a field day with that one

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:01 pm

tinned wrote:Redknapp??? Give me effing strength! They'll only appoint him to keep the Cockney hacks and Talkshite happy.

Precisely. If we are to appoint someone English, then at least go for someone who has knowledge of how the game is played outside of the British Isles and is a well respected coach with extensive European experience - like Roy Hodgson.

If we go for Redknapp, we may as well go the whole hog and appoint Dave Bassett.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:51 pm

BathSaddler wrote:
tinned wrote:Redknapp??? Give me effing strength! They'll only appoint him to keep the Cockney hacks and Talkshite happy.

Precisely. If we are to appoint someone English, then at least go for someone who has knowledge of how the game is played outside of the British Isles and is a well respected coach with extensive European experience - like Roy Hodgson.

If we go for Redknapp, we may as well go the whole hog and appoint Dave Bassett.

Mike Bassett would be better, 4 4 F****** 2

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:55 am

Redknapp doesn't play 4 4 2? He doesn't know anything else.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:04 pm

latviancheese wrote:Redknapp doesn't play 4 4 2? He doesn't know anything else.

Did you not go to the Walsall v Portsmouth games then ? I can assure you he didn't play 4-4-2

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:54 pm

I think people are over estimating the role of the national manager, especially in tournaments.

Pick 11 hungry for success players who play well together as a team, keep them happy and upbeat between games, and get them fired up for one game at a time. Job done. They're the best players the country have to offer, if they're motivated and play to their potential formation and tactics aren't so important.

Look at Maradona. Hardly a tactical genius.

We'vw gone for studious managers in Sven, McLaren and Capello. It doesn't work as they're all wet lettuces. Although that's being a bit harsh on Capello I think.

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:02 pm

Harry Redknapp & David Beckham

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:06 pm

DanWalsallFC wrote:Harry Redknapp & David Beckham

Dumb & Dumber :D

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:17 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:

I can't actually believe people are taking that suggestion seriously.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:24 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:

Did you not go to the Walsall v Portsmouth games then ? I can assure you he didn't play 4-4-2

Who cares, the blokes a retarded moron who should not be anywhere near the England setup.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:27 pm

latviancheese wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:

Who cares, the blokes a retarded moron who should not be anywhere near the England setup.

He speaks highly of you

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:28 pm

Couldnt give a toss.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:30 pm

latviancheese wrote:Couldnt give a toss.

Aye, that about somes the yoot of today up. You on your time of the month or somet ?

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:33 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
latviancheese wrote:Couldnt give a toss.

Aye, that about somes the yoot of today up. You on your time of the month or somet ?

Redknapp is a tax dodging criminal, and not really.

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:51 am

Gosh, there are some curious opinions doing the rounds:

Terry Venables wrote: "Why on earth would you want to drop Terry, Upson or Joe Cole for European Championships qualifiers?"

translated from half a day's work speak:

A Cockney has-been who's past it wrote: "Why on earth would you want to drop a Cockney has-been who's past it for European Championships qualifiers. And what's wrong with Dennis Wise playing the spoons and pole dancing as half time entertainment?"

Meanwhile, in the air-raid shelter:

Generic mild racism wrote: "The trouble with Capello is that he doesn't know which side to surrender to first. What do you mean the war's finished? It's no wonder the players can't understand him. Why can't we have an English manager? How about Redknapp, he's a bit like Venables. If only Dixon of Dock Green was still around."

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:04 am

I think the FA need to give serious thought about rebuilding the whole England team management structure. Its crying out to form a team from Harry Redknapp, Terry Venables, Ian Wright, Paul Ince, James Corden and Sir Alan Sugar.

wow!

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:45 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:

I can't actually believe people are taking that suggestion seriously.

The thought is simply horrific. Either one of them on their on is bad enough but together?!

I'd rather look at the Queen's underpants.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:14 pm

Id actually have a nosey at the queens under wear though, do you think they are any different to a normal person's underwear? :lol:

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:28 pm

Funny how none of these "issues" with Capello were a problem when we waltzed through qualifying.

There's been criticism of the 442 but it still produced goals when the players could be bothered.
Our main problem was conceding. The howler from Green and the shocking defending against Germany.
Even with the 451 people were clamouring for there would have still been the same 4 at the back.

You can criticise the tactics all you want but if the players don't perform it won't make a difference.
I think after the howler against the USA and the press reaction they cacked theirselves in the next game.
Realising they'd dropped a clanger it was far easier to look to the tactics than actually admit they'd played rubbish and tarnish their large egos. The next game Capello dispelled the dissent in the camp and we played well. We should have scored more. The players had plenty of chances with those tactics but weren't sharp enough to take advantage.
Remember Capello resisted the clamour for Cole and brought in Defoe and Milner who instantly repaid this with the goal.

The German game we played poorly but even then the tactics produced 2 goals. After the 2nd was disallowed we just seemed to panic and they bottled it. As soon as Germanys 3rd went in we looked like a team that wanted the match to end. They couldn't be bothered.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:36 pm

SaddlerSteve wrote:Funny how none of these "issues" with Capello were a problem when we waltzed through qualifying.

Think I alluded to that earlier on when I suggested that having the team under his command for an extended period reflected badly on his authoritarian style. The players wouldn't have had such exposure to this side of him before, so it wouldn't have been an issue until we got to South Efrica.

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:15 pm

Exile wrote:
SaddlerSteve wrote:South Efrica.

For some reason that has just reminded me of the Spitting Image song, I've Never Met A Nice South African. :? :oops:

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:25 pm

tinned wrote:
Exile wrote:
SaddlerSteve wrote:South Efrica.

For some reason that has just reminded me of the Spitting Image song, I've Never Met A Nice South African. :? :oops:

...and that's not really surprising, man!

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:18 pm

Breaking news on the beeb. Capello stays on as England manager.

Can only be a good thing as long as the Fa play there part in dealing with the state of football we find ourselves in.

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:21 pm

Or the other way to look at it is there is no viable alternative. Who else could have taken on the job. Redknapp, Allerdyce, who else, Pulis?

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:17 pm

Rich Evans wrote:Breaking news on the beeb. Capello stays on as England manager.

Can only be a good thing as long as the Fa play there part in dealing with the state of football we find ourselves in.

I would imagine that some of the senior players would not have wanted that to happen. Some will have played their last game for England.

John Terry's international career is done. Capello could not drop him after his attempted mutiny as he had no one else to play.

As the saying goes, revenge is a dish best served cold.

Previous
Return to England Highs & Lows