Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Capello

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
swiftyboy
Site Addict

Capello

Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:41 pm

Hasn't got an effin scooby

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Re: Capello

Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:52 pm

Que?

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Capello

Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:56 pm

Effin shite. It's a farce. England players jumping on each other like they have won the whole competition. It would be more appropriate to be massively relieved to have even got through. Humble pie should be eaten in my opinion

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:00 pm

swiftyboy wrote:Effin guano. It's a farce. England players jumping on each other like they have won the whole competition. It would be more appropriate to be massively relieved to have even got through. Humble pie should be eaten in my opinion

The "celebrations" are more relief than celebration, I think.

The tournament started today!

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:07 pm

I bet if he were English, you'd love it.

Just think of him as Frank Cappell.

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:11 pm

He's not Muslim, is he?

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:15 pm

moaning saddler wrote:He's not Muslim, is he?

Is he? :shock:

Who'd have thought?!

Frank Cappel is a German Muslim.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:15 pm

moaning saddler wrote:He's not Muslim, is he?

He's a dirty foreigner and that's good enough for me!

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:18 pm

Don't know what you're on about swifty.
The result was only 1-0 but that performance was far better than the last 2.
Nice to see Capello going mental on the sidelines when we sat back too, not like Sven sitting there without a clue.
Yes, we need to build on that performance and I hope the confidence the players get from that match will hold us in good stead.

Fantastic support from our fans too. Drowned out the vuvuzelas and showed the team that a good performance will be greeted with the reception it deserves!!!

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Capello

Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:25 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:I bet if he were English, you'd love it.

Oh come on man!

What's his nationality got to do with it? If we had played like that in either or both of the first two games, we wouldn't have had to crud it for the last half hour.

Relief is the understatement of the century.

Crouch- 8 goals in 10, and doesn't get a sniff= Capello, not a Scooby

Stu
UTS Legend

Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:47 pm

swiftyboy wrote:

Oh come on man!

What's his nationality got to do with it? If we had played like that in either or both of the first two games, we wouldn't have had to crud it for the last half hour.

Bloody hell, Capello can't do right for doing wrong it seems.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:51 pm

Stu wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:

Oh come on man!

I know... Cant be easy for Frank - He only used the same formation and players for pretty much the whole blinding qualification tournament.

Adding to that because it sounded like I was having a go at Frank - I'm not.

Can't be easy for a lad with a tried and tested method to work and then the players make an abortion of it against Algeria. I think a lot of people are forgetting that barring Rob Green having a stroke on the line, we'd be top. Probably.

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Capello

Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:11 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
Stu wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:

Oh come on man!

I know... Cant be easy for Frank - He only used the same formation and players for pretty much the whole blinding qualification tournament.

Adding to that because it sounded like I was having a go at Frank - I'm not.

Can't be easy for a lad with a tried and tested method to work and then the players make an abortion of it against Algeria. I think a lot of people are forgetting that barring Rob Green having a stroke on the line, we'd be top. Probably.

I'm not forgetting anything.

What I am talking about, is the fact that the wrong team selection has effected us from the start. Who's to blame for that?

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:15 pm

Crouch? I know he only got on for a bit against Algeria but again, that's what Frank picked through the qualifiers. It was only the Algeria game (where everybody was retarded) that Heskey had a bad game - against the Yanks, he was great, just a big pity that old Wayne hasn't been up to pace.

I see Joe Cole got on today... Was he a world beater? No.

I also think that you can't JUST blame Frank... Players who have played in Champions' League finals and World Cups before couldn't even trap a ball properly in the Algeria game (Yes. Lampard and Rooney, I'm looking your way)

If it wasn't for a great goalkeeping performance today it could've been 2,3 or 4.

We're through. Enjoy it.

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:21 pm

I was critical of Capello during the first two group games , he got it right today and I thought the team huddle at the end organized by Terry spoke volumes for
the team spirit .

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:35 pm

I thought the passion and commitment shown by Capello was superb.

Capello - he wins things.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:38 pm

The Don's decisions:
Brings in James = two clean sheets
Keeps faith with 4-4-2 and Gerrard on the left = qualification for the finals and second round
Names Gerrard as skipper = most consistent player so far*
Brings in Milner on the right = assist
Brings in Defoe up front = winning goal

There's only one person who hasn't got an 'effin scooby' round here.

(* - barring Ashley Cole)

Stu
UTS Legend

Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:38 pm

swiftyboy wrote:What I am talking about, is the fact that the wrong team selection has effected us from the start. Who's to blame for that?

Seriously? The players... It wasn't a problem for them in qualification.

Not quite sure what a formation has to do with players being lethargic, unable to pass 10 yards, unable to control a ball and generally showing no heart or passion.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:58 pm

swiftyboy wrote:

What I am talking about, is the fact that the wrong team selection has effected us from the start. Who's to blame for that?

So who do we trust?
A manager who has won various titles within football or a racist loser?

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Capello

Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:02 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:

So who do we trust?
A manager who has won various titles within football or a racist loser?

As I said in another thread, count yourself lucky you don't live in Walsall

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Capello

Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:03 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:The Don's decisions:
Keeps faith with 4-4-2 and Gerrard on the left = qualification for the finals and second round

Yawn

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:26 pm

swiftyboy wrote:
As I said in another thread, count yourself lucky you don't live in Walsall

Why?
Would you get Nick Griffin to come and see me?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:27 am

Capello. What a guy.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Thu Jun 24, 2010 5:34 am

swiftyboy wrote:
Registered Saddler wrote:The Don's decisions:

Yawn

Your compelling argument has almost convinced me that you are right and Registered Saddler is wrong.

Had you had a drink last night by any chance? :D

bangsection
Site Addict

Capello

Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:16 am

Duke wrote:I was critical of Capello during the first two group games , he got it right today and I thought the team huddle at the end organized by Terry spoke volumes for
the team spirit .

Thought the team huddle was a bit embarrassing to be honest. Smacked of JT doing his "I'm the real Captain" shtick. Besides, it was disrespectful to the Slovenians - they should have shaken hands first. Credit to Frank Lampard who clearly wanted nothing to do with it. You can tell he went to public school!

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:53 am

We won the game, that's all that mattered. I can't actually remember the match as such. I know Rooney and Gerrard both missed guilt edged chances, which we may regret not taking and winning the group. Still the more I think about it, the more I think I am glad we have Germany on Sunday. If we are going to win the World Cup, then we have to beat top sides at some point. If we do manage to beat Germany, confidence would be so high, we would surely have a great chance of going all the way.

Penalties anyone ?

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:55 am

I dont know whether to praise Capello, or to criticise him. Yes, he made the neccessary changes because we werent playing well, but he does seem to have lost a bit of his authority over the players. Whether thats totally his fault, or because of John Terry's big gob I dont know.

The reasons I would criticise Capello are:

- Going to the World Cup with the wrong choice of keeper. David James has been No1 now for a few years, his form the past 2 years has been terrific, whereas Green's has been questionable despite what was a good performance against Mexico. I believe Capello should have picked James as his No1, no faffing about giving Hart 45mins, then Green 45mins - one of those keepers has more experience, more caps, and more quality than the other two, he should be no 1.

- Treatment of Wayne Rooney. He should have been hauled off in the game vs Algeria, he's not untouchable.

- Not using Defoe. Defoe has had a terrific season, Heskey hasn't. Defoe will score goals, Heskey wont. What compounded this issue was that we were playing Rooney and Heskey together, and when Rooney is playing in that role where he comes deep to get the ball, like he has been doing for England, he doesnt score goals. So we ended up with two strikers who dont hit the back of the net. Guess what, he brings Defoe in, and he scores. I think all teams need a poacher.

- He should be doing more to temper his players elation at beating Slovenia. I think they all need taking down a peg or two, otherwise we're going to get embarassed by Germany because Slovenia arent on the same level as the Krauts.

Other than those minor issues, Fabio has still got us qualified for the next round, if John Terry can keep his dick in his pants and let his football do the talking instead of his big cockney gob, we might stand a chance.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:39 am

philthesaddler wrote:I dont know whether to praise Capello, or to criticise him. Yes, he made the neccessary changes because we werent playing well, but he does seem to have lost a bit of his authority over the players. Whether thats totally his fault, or because of John Terry's big gob I dont know.

- Going to the World Cup with the wrong choice of keeper. David James has been No1 now for a few years, his form the past 2 years has been terrific, whereas Green's has been questionable despite what was a good performance against Mexico. I believe Capello should have picked James as his No1, no faffing about giving Hart 45mins, then Green 45mins - one of those keepers has more experience, more caps, and more quality than the other two, he should be no 1.

- Treatment of Wayne Rooney. He should have been hauled off in the game vs Algeria, he's not untouchable.

- Not using Defoe. Defoe has had a terrific season, Heskey hasn't. Defoe will score goals, Heskey wont. What compounded this issue was that we were playing Rooney and Heskey together, and when Rooney is playing in that role where he comes deep to get the ball, like he has been doing for England, he doesnt score goals. So we ended up with two strikers who dont hit the back of the net. Guess what, he brings Defoe in, and he scores. I think all teams need a poacher.

- He should be doing more to temper his players elation at beating Slovenia. I think they all need taking down a peg or two, otherwise we're going to get embarassed by Germany because Slovenia arent on the same level as the Krauts.

Other than those minor issues, Fabio has still got us qualified for the next round, if John Terry can keep his dick in his pants and let his football do the talking instead of his big cockney gob, we might stand a chance.

In what way as James form in last 2 years been better than Greens? That is an interesting statement to make as I dont believe it for 1 minute.

The reason he gave Hart 45 minutes etc is to give them experience on the international stage perhaps? :roll:
I mean if something happened to say James, would you really want to put someone in goal who had never played an international match?
Its just logic surely!

To compare Heskey and Defoe is ludicrious as they are 2 different types of player and Capello was using Heskey for a specific reason. e.g knock downs for Rooney. I much prefer Defoe, but your comparison is not really right. They are 2 different types of players that operate in 2 different types of system.

Why not let the players celebrate a win? They were under pressure, they delivered. Why on earth not let them have a few moments.

As for your comments reference John Terry, well it beggers belief really. He certainly let his football do the talking yesterday and his more passionate than the vast majority. Well certainly shows it anyway.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:40 am

Although Swiftyboy's original post was a bit OTT and unfortunately timed, it does not alter the fact that Capello's management has been less than perfect over the last couple of months.

Squad selection:- after publicly stating, on more than one occasion, that he would not take any injured players to South Africa, he picks one of the most injury-prone players in England, Ledley King! There were already fitness doubts, albeit much less, about Ferdinand, Rooney and Defoe. I have some sympathy for Capello in this area. Injury robbed him of the chance to select Kirkland (the best English 'keeper, imo), Woodgate (the 2nd best centre-back), Hargreaves and Owen (the best striker), compounded by the late loss of Ferdinand (actually, that's not a bad 5-a-side team :D ).
Obviously, if the players of the requisite quality aren't there, then he can't select them. "Calamity" James and "Butterfingers" Green are not international-class goalkeepers but there is hope for the future with Hart. There are no really good English right-backs, only one decent left-back and it is a savage indictment of the dearth of top-quality English strikers that he felt the need to include a lumbering donkey who can't even get in a low-scoring Villa team and a semi-mobile hat-stand who can score goals - but only against weak opposition. Oh, Michael Owen - why can't you stay fit?!?

Selection & Tactics:- all of us armchair managers can, of course, pick better teams than Capello but, let's be honest, some of his selections have been puzzling and his apparent rigidity of thought and "tunnel vision" have created avoidable problems. There is a fine difference between having the courage of your convictions and just being downright stubborn. The players were right to be concerned and the manager should be prepared to listen to them. Whether he chooses to act on those concerns is, of course, a different matter. Chris Marsh, in his Excuse & Dingle column, this week, spoke of his relationship with Ray Graydon. He, along with a number of other players, did not like Graydon but he had great respect for him because he was a good coach and he always listened to the opinions of his senior players. Capello needs to understand that to to listen to, and consider, the opinions of others is not a sign of weakness.

Management Style:- Capello's record as a club manager is outstanding (as was that of Eriksson) but this is the first team that he has managed at international level. It is also the first time that he has had his squad under his control, away from distractions, for a long period of time. It is clear that there are tensions within the camp. Terry was bang out of order going public with his comments but that doesn't automatically mean that what he said was untrue. He merely chose to publicly air what I suspect many players were thinking and saying privately. Sadly, thinking and social skills are not JT's strong points.

If we can see off the Krauts on Sunday, then, as Blazing says, above, confidence will be high and we MIGHT, just might surprise a few people.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:47 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:I dont know whether to praise Capello, or to criticise him. Yes, he made the neccessary changes because we werent playing well, but he does seem to have lost a bit of his authority over the players. Whether thats totally his fault, or because of John Terry's big gob I dont know.

In what way as James form in last 2 years been better than Greens? That is an interesting statement to make as I dont believe it for 1 minute.

The reason he gave Hart 45 minutes etc is to give them experience on the international stage perhaps? :roll:
I mean if something happened to say James, would you really want to put someone in goal who had never played an international match?
Its just logic surely!

To compare Heskey and Defoe is ludicrious as they are 2 different types of player and Capello was using Heskey for a specific reason. e.g knock downs for Rooney. I much prefer Defoe, but your comparison is not really right. They are 2 different types of players that operate in 2 different types of system.

Why not let the players celebrate a win? They were under pressure, they delivered. Why on earth not let them have a few moments.

As for your comments reference John Terry, well it beggers belief really. He certainly let his football do the talking yesterday and his more passionate than the vast majority. Well certainly shows it anyway.

Im not comparing them, Im saying the system wasnt working with Heskey. I acknowledged that they were different players, but if you re-read my post, youll see that I said that Rooney has been dropping deep to get the ball, and when he does that, he's effectively playing in the hole, and thus not scoring. Therefore, the Heskey Rooney partnership just wasnt working, partly due to the lack of forward runs by lampard - what you had effectively was two players trying to drop deep and hold the ball up. The team was crying out for Defoe...who is a poacher, who will stay on the last mans shoulder and has the pace to make a defender struggle.

Rooney looks fantastic for United, because lets face it, United are the best team in the land, and can play whichever way they want to, which means for United, he can play in that out and out striker role.

Next
Return to England Highs & Lows