Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

John Terry

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

John Terry

Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:26 pm

Never really liked him, but if todays reports of him leading some kind of revolt against Capello are true, then he is well and truly a complete and utter prat of the highest order.

To be honest John, your performance in the two games hasnt been anywhere near up to scratch, so how about you get your head down and concentrate on your own game before criticising others and destabalising the whole setup you over paid, over sexed cockney son-of-a-drug-dealer.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010 ... land-squad

Postscript:

I dont agree with Joe Cole being left out, I think he's the kind of player that can make things happen, BUT, and it's a BIG BUT, the 11 players that started against Algeria should be ashamed of their performances, both individual and collectively, that has nothing to do with Capello. If you cannot get fired up for an England game, then you shouldnt be paying for England.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Re: John Terry

Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:49 pm

Also, this stuff about playing out of position is absolute balls. Of course it doesn't help and I don't see where Capello is coming from. But they're being asked to kick a ball from a slightly different area of a piece of grass to what they're used to, not being asked to perform brain surgery, certainly not on each other, because they'd struggle to find a brain in the first place.

Having said that this is probably a something a nothing story blown out of proportion by the press like the suppposed ranting fan in the dressing room who said "hello". If they're are problems they've got with each other though its always best to get them out in the open and this was the time to do it. No point in carrying on secretly grumbling about it for another match when we've gone out of the competition.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:49 pm

Of course JT was right.
Of course JT should still be England captain.

How can we give the captaincy to someone who quite frankly as been useless for his club team this season?
First major mistake from Capello.

The press love building England up.
The press love bringing England down.
That is the gutter we have in this country, and MMF is of course correct, it as all be blown out of context.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:15 pm

John Terry is more overrated than religion.

And obviously more scorned than a man who's found out his best mate is sleeping with his Mrs. Oh.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:49 pm

John 'hoof it' Terry?

Wow, he's brilliant isn't he? :P

Cannavaro, Chiellini, Lucio, Maicon etc eat your hearts out! :lol:

saddlerken
Site Addict

Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:58 pm

He is just a gypo

Vile cockney

No class

Not very good

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:20 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:John 'hoof it' Terry?

Wow, he's brilliant isn't he? :P

Cannavaro, Chiellini, Lucio, Maicon etc eat your hearts out! :lol:

You will probably be called an idiot for saying that :wink: .

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:30 pm

It was strange that he was the one allowed out to address the press.
Gerrard is captain so why did the England management allow Terry to hold court?

The press in this country are a disgrace. At least wait until we're out before spreading all this guano.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:32 pm

Sheff in Chelsea bumfun shocker.

Some things never change ay.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:34 pm

SaddlerSteve wrote:It was strange that he was the one allowed out to address the press.

The press in this country are a disgrace. At least wait until we're out before spreading all this guano.

I reckon it's a case of giving someone their own hanging rope. Let's be honest. Terry can hardly judge the bounce of a ball, let alone alert himself to a trap set by one of the best club managers to grace the game.

tinned
Site Addict

Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:47 pm

SaddlerSteve wrote:It was strange that he was the one allowed out to address the press.

Probably because the press prefer talking to a cock(ney) rather than anyone born north of Watford.

bangsection
Site Addict

Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:34 pm

Terry volunteered to do the press conference - presumably because he had already decided to embark on his one-man revolution.

Capello has successfully slapped him down today and the other senior players haven't taken kindly to being named as co-conspirators. With his personal and professional stock at an all time low it will be interesting to see where Terry's international career goes from here.

In the short term the greatest impact of Terry's outburst could be Capello's team selection on Wednesday. Most people - including Terry - seem to see Joe Cole as a magic bullet. Capello may have come to that conclusion too. But I wonder if a manager who has made his name as a strict and stubborn disciplinarian will now want to be perceived as "giving in" to player power.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:41 pm

After seeing Capello's interview on ITV where he keeps referring to Terry's comments as a "big mistake", anyone think he's about to slap Terry down by dropping him? I can imagine Sheff's reaction if that happens!

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:42 pm

bangsection wrote:Terry volunteered to do the press conference - presumably because he had already decided to embark on his one-man revolution.

Capello has successfully slapped him down today and the other senior players haven't taken kindly to being named as co-conspirators. With his personal and professional stock at an all time low it will be interesting to see where Terry's international career goes from here.

In the short term the greatest impact of Terry's outburst could be Capello's team selection on Wednesday. Most people - including Terry - seem to see Joe Cole as a magic bullet. Capello may have come to that conclusion too. But I wonder if a manager who has made his name as a strict and stubborn disciplinarian will now want to be perceived as "giving in" to player power.

I'm not sure - I think he will do what he thinks best for the team.

If that is Cole, then in he pops. I think if Capello comes back from the World Cup with credit, then he needs to watch his career on the next lot if we have any centrebacks come back to life.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:48 pm

SaddlerSteve wrote:After seeing Capello's interview on ITV where he keeps referring to Terry's comments as a "big mistake", anyone think he's about to slap Terry down by dropping him? I can imagine Sheff's reaction if that happens!

I think he would if he had any other options available.

Terry just made himself look a fool, if he was going to say stuff like that, at least get a few players on your side first.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:59 pm

You really need to be/have been a manager to understand the science of this situation.
You honestly think JT would have said this without the backing of a section of the players! WAKE UP!
JT had his supporters and Capello knows full well he did.
In order to bring the team back together, Capello as behind the scenes sorted the problem out and made it look like the problem was vastly smaller than it really was.
Great management if you can pull it off. Not so good if you cant.
If it was that bad, JT would be out of it on Wednesday, but Capello knows full well that would be yet another drastic mistake.
Anyone who thinks everything in the camp was good, is living in a dream world.
Well done JT, thats what I say.
You will be in the England team a lot longer than Capello will be managing it, thats a fact.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:01 pm

SaddlerSteve wrote:After seeing Capello's interview on ITV where he keeps referring to Terry's comments as a "big mistake", anyone think he's about to slap Terry down by dropping him? I can imagine Sheff's reaction if that happens!

He wouldnt have the bottle to drop him.
And he wouldnt be a manager worth anything if he did.

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:02 pm

Can't see JT taking one for the team.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:03 pm

Exile wrote:Can't see JT taking one for the team.

"Lionheart"

Puts the likes of Moore, Butcher and Pearce into the shade.

bangsection
Site Addict

Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:12 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:

I tend to agree, but I wouldn't rule out Capello making a few unexpected decisions. I note that the Telegraph are suggesting that Defoe will start up front with Rooney. Surely that rules out Gerrard being dropped in favour of Cole. That might be better for the team AND a rebuke to Terry.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:15 pm

bangsection wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:

I tend to agree, but I wouldn't rule out Capello making a few unexpected decisions. I note that the Telegraph are suggesting that Defoe will start up front with Rooney. Surely that rules out Gerrard being dropped in favour of Cole. That might be better for the team AND a rebuke to Terry.

I think that put down in the press is as good a rebuke as he will come up with. Terry knows his place and needs to watch his arse a) because he's not captain and b) he's pissed off the boss.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:26 pm

I think that being stripped of the captaincy still rankles with JT and he was just waiting for the chance to stick the knife into Capello. However, I think that it was an error of judgement and he is lucky that only he, Upson and Dawson are available to play at centre-back, otherwise the "Don" would have had his revenge.

Perhaps JT will wake up to find a horse's head in his bed tomorrow morning? :mrgreen:

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:28 pm

Pedagogue wrote:I think that being stripped of the captaincy still rankles with JT and he was just waiting for the chance to stick the knife into Capello. However, I think that it was an error of judgement and he is lucky that only he, Upson and Dawson are available to play at centre-back, otherwise the "Don" would have had his revenge.

Perhaps JT will wake up to find a horse's head in his bed tomorrow morning? :mrgreen:

I totally agree.

Which is why he should be hopeful that Woodgate, King and Ferdinand are still made of glass next season and beyond.

Pedro
UTS Legend

John Terry

Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:25 pm

I doubt he'll never play for England again after the World Cup, like a few others.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:36 pm

Pedro wrote:I doubt he'll never play for England again after the World Cup, like a few others.

Hopefully.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:55 pm

If I was running the show, I'd have John Terry skinned alive and his guts thrown into the swimming pool while everyone was forced to watch. Then I'd threaten to gut Rooney like a fish if his effort didn't improve. Still 'feeling bored' are we gents?

:twisted:

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:55 am

Pedagogue wrote:I think that being stripped of the captaincy still rankles with JT and he was just waiting for the chance to stick the knife into Capello. However, I think that it was an error of judgement and he is lucky that only he, Upson and Dawson are available to play at centre-back, otherwise the "Don" would have had his revenge.

Or maybe Capello will make him an offer he cant refuse?

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:25 am

Ive been saying for ages how weird it is that Beckham is so indelably linked to the England squad, this article in the Guardian picks up on his strange involvement this summer.

I tell you people...it's all about branding and marketing Beckham PLC.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog ... am-england

motty
UTS Legend

Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:53 am

philthesaddler wrote:Ive been saying for ages how weird it is that Beckham is so indelably linked to the England squad, this article in the Guardian picks up on his strange involvement this summer.

:roll: :roll: I love it when smarmy smart arse bloggers who no fudge all about football and have no inside knowledge whatsoever comment on second hand speculation.Its great.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:45 am

caught_u_red_handed wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:Ive been saying for ages how weird it is that Beckham is so indelably linked to the England squad, this article in the Guardian picks up on his strange involvement this summer.

:roll: :roll: I love it when smarmy smart backside bloggers who no **** all about football and have no inside knowledge whatsoever comment on second hand speculation.Its great.

It's not second hand speculation, she quoted direct answers from the FA which were totally ambiguous about Beckhams role in the England camp. Considering Capello has banned WAGS, mobiles etc, and has other strict rules such as eating together etc, it's seems very strange that he's allowed Beckham along for a free ride. So, yes, I think the press are entitled to ask why he's there?

I predicted months ago that whatever happened, Beckham would be at the World Cup due to his involvement in every England squad despite questions over his fitness and form. He's a huge brand, a money making machine, one minute he's on the bench with the subs, the next he's in the changing room with them, then the next evening he's hob nobbing with the princes. His presence can only be a distraction, and potentially divisive, and I cant see Capello being too happy about it.

Have you seen Michael Ballack sitting on the bench wearing the same outfit as Joahim Loew?

Next
Return to England Highs & Lows