Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

England v Slovenia

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Exile
Jobsworth

England v Slovenia

Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:29 am

The knockout starts here. Fail, and it's all over, win and all will be forgotten, for at least a round or two.

I can't see that the England players have any basis whatsoever to blame anyone else but themselves for their own failings to date. This team is amongst the most talented ever assembled, the most expensive ever assembled and the most experienced ever assembled to mount a World Cup campaign on our behalf (and make no mistake about it, this is a campaign for England, not for the lucky few who are selected to play on our behalf).

They can moan all day and all night about boredom, they can whinge all week about playing out of position, and they can bitch for a month about Capello's austerity compared to the WAG circus that accompanied Erikson. None of that matters more than what they're paid to do on the pitch, what they're selected to do on the pitch and what they're supposed to do to their best effect, which is play their hearts out for England for every competitive minute of every competitive match. That has not been apparent.

I can sympathise with Rooney when he says his world cup is 'breakfast, training, lunch, bed, dinner, bed' and I can empathise with Terry when he comments that maybe darts, snooker and pool are not enough, but honestly, that's just whining kids not having everything their way and taking their eyes off the focus. They have direction in abundance, clear management and a clear goal. Qualifying was virtually a whitewash done at a canter, and these players do not lose that talent overnight. What we're seeing is petulance and pomposity - these players expected a holiday, not a World Cup campaign.

If the team is honestly in South Africa to win the World Cup for England, as demonstrated by ex-captain and main spokesman John Terry in his defence of Rooney's extraordinary outburst against his fans after the Algerian fiasco, then they need to show it with a performance on the pitch that counts, not with a petulant display of arrogance and self-importance.

As Capello has already said - it's the results that count, the rest is just words. If our players seriously want to go on safari, perhaps they can pay for it out of their exhorbitant premiership wages once we get knocked out. How seriously they prefer a safari to a World Cup campaign we may find out shortly.

England 1-1 Slovenia. Blazing_Saddler to eat his keyboard in a moment of pure anger, then send his posts to UTS telepathically on the strength of his psychic outrage.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Re: England v Slovenia

Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:51 am

Exile wrote:The knockout starts here. Fail, and it's all over, win and all will be forgotten, for at least a round or two.

I can't see that the England players have any basis whatsoever to blame anyone else but themselves for their own failings to date. This team is amongst the most talented ever assembled, the most expensive ever assembled and the most experienced ever assembled to mount a World Cup campaign on our behalf (and make no mistake about it, this is a campaign for England, not for the lucky few who are selected to play on our behalf).

They can moan all day and all night about boredom, they can whinge all week about playing out of position, and they can bitch for a month about Capello's austerity compared to the WAG circus that accompanied Erikson. None of that matters more than what they're paid to do on the pitch, what they're selected to do on the pitch and what they're supposed to do to their best effect, which is play their hearts out for England for every competitive minute of every competitive match. That has not been apparent.

I can sympathise with Rooney when he says his world cup is 'breakfast, training, lunch, bed, dinner, bed' and I can empathise with Terry when he comments that maybe darts, snooker and pool are not enough, but honestly, that's just whining kids not having everything their way and taking their eyes off the focus. They have direction in abundance, clear management and a clear goal. Qualifying was virtually a whitewash done at a canter, and these players do not lose that talent overnight. What we're seeing is petulance and pomposity - these players expected a holiday, not a World Cup campaign.

If the team is honestly in South Africa to win the World Cup for England, as demonstrated by ex-captain and main spokesman John Terry in his defence of Rooney's extraordinary outburst against his fans after the Algerian fiasco, then they need to show it with a performance on the pitch that counts, not with a petulant display of arrogance and self-importance.

As Capello has already said - it's the results that count, the rest is just words. If our players seriously want to go on safari, perhaps they can pay for it out of their exhorbitant premiership wages once we get knocked out. How seriously they prefer a safari to a World Cup campaign we may find out shortly.

England 1-1 Slovenia. Blazing_Saddler to eat his keyboard in a moment of pure anger, then send his posts to UTS telepathically on the strength of his psychic outrage.

Brillaiant. I agree completely. If we fail, it'll be because of the 23 players - no one else. Time to stop looking for scapegoats and realise they are just a bunch of pampered kids.

PINNACLE
UTS Legend

Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:20 am

Totally agree 100%.
Time to put up or shut up once and for all.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:52 am

The players are more than happy to take 100% of the praise, adualtion, glory and most of all 100% of all of the money in the game and yet a willing to take absolutely zero responsibility.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:06 am

This theme that the players are bored? really? they are at the finals of one of the biggest sporting events on the planet. Yes its tough, yes there is immense pressure but for god's sake the potential rewards are over lasting. They can right their names into English footballing history here, surely that's worth concentrating on for a few weeks?

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:12 am

derbysaddler wrote:This theme that the players are bored? really? they are at the finals of one of the biggest sporting events on the planet. Yes its tough, yes there is immense pressure but for god's sake the potential rewards are over lasting. They can right their names into English footballing history here, surely that's worth concentrating on for a few weeks?

I think their problem with boredom stems from the fact that none of them can read.....

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:43 am

The Eng team visited an orphanage today in Soweto...

"It's good to put a smile on the faces of people with no hope", said Mbutto aged 6.

I’ll get me coat !

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:18 am

SaddlerSteve wrote:The Eng team visited an orphanage today in Soweto...

"It's good to put a smile on the faces of people with no hope", said Mbutto aged 6.

I’ll get me coat !

...and take yer vuvuzela with you!

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:13 am

I'm confident of an England victory .

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:19 am

Right choice for me, even after a poor season. Upson to start:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8751502.stm

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:36 pm

England 4-2 Slovenia (Rooney 3, Gerrard)
Crowd to tune up vuvuzelas to perform a rendition of Hocus Pocus as Rooney smacks in his hat trick.
Federer to ring up Joe Broad for extra training.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:32 pm

derbysaddler wrote:This theme that the players are bored? really? they are at the finals of one of the biggest sporting events on the planet. Yes its tough, yes there is immense pressure but for god's sake the potential rewards are over lasting. They can right their names into English footballing history here, surely that's worth concentrating on for a few weeks?

Bored? There are three live games a day to watch - they might learn something if they did.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:41 pm

Exile wrote:The knockout starts here. Fail, and it's all over, win and all will be forgotten, for at least a round or two.

Okay, so I went a little crazy friday night, 8 cans of K cider didn't help matters, but I was getting more and more angry as the minutes went by during the game. It wasn't the result that got me, it was how little it mattered to those people on the pitch wearing white shirts. If it mattered half as much to them as it does to me, and every other proud English man, then we would have won at a canter. Wait for the posts that say it's not that easy, well I'm sorry it is. We have much better players than Algeria, put something in, you will get something back.

For what it's worth, I think we'll win Wednesday, I can't see us playing that bad again, I fancy us to go mad, and win 4-1. UTS can breathe easy too, cos I am going out to watch it, and wont return home until I'm in no fit state to turn on a computer.

Come on England!

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:08 pm

2-1 or 3-2 England in a desperate last-gasp effort by one of the fringe players.

Dullard England to be eliminated 1-0 in the next round.

Evo Boozy Saddler
Glitterati

Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:16 pm

England 1 Slovenia 0

Saigon to miss the first half due to furiously trying to light the coals in the hearth of his ornate Victorian fireplace.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:34 pm

erm, I dont think we are that talented, some of our squad players are dire, but nonetheless, we should be qualifying of course

Think we'll win

John Terry is a massive twanger

Jockey
UTS Legend

Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:49 pm

I really cant see us winning this one. Hope im wrong but Slovenia are more of a threat than USA and Algeria were and I think we will go gung ho and leave ourselves open.

The lads will be back home Thursday with the 5 idiots behind the goal greeting them with "Youve let us down again" banner

Pedro
UTS Legend

England v Slovenia

Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:32 pm

Certain players are yet to prove on the world stage that they are World Class. We only really have Ashley Cole and maybe Wayne Rooney who we could say are our World class players, the rest are average at best.

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:23 pm

im getting really excited about it now

its win or bust

all in 90 minutes no extra time no second chances

all of england a nervous wrek if its still level at half time gna be such a strong atmosphere wt ever the score line

really looking forward to it

are revolution showing the matches - im gna be in walsall so need a good place to watch it

Evo Boozy Saddler
Glitterati

Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:07 am

brummie saddler wrote:im getting really excited about it now

its win or bust

all in 90 minutes no extra time no second chances

all of england a nervous wrek if its still level at half time gna be such a strong atmosphere wt ever the score line

really looking forward to it

are revolution showing the matches - im gna be in walsall so need a good place to watch it

Revolution are showing the games. I had to watch a chunk of the USA game in there. Be warned though, they don't let you take bottles from Bra Sport in there :evil: :lol: . If you go in there, please pop in Oi Nosh over the road afterwards, and let me know how it is. I need to try that place soon 8)

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:23 am

I'm just hoping that we actually go for it and we don't end up with a damp nappy of a performance.

Goose277
Glitterati

Location: One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got in my pyjamas, I don't know

Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:29 am

Jockey wrote:I really cant see us winning this one. Hope im wrong but Slovenia are more of a threat than USA and Algeria were and I think we will go gung ho and leave ourselves open.

The lads will be back home Thursday with the 5 idiots behind the goal greeting them with "Youve let us down again" banner

How stupid is that?

No disrespect meant to Jockey but the fact we are worried about a game against Slovenia is plain crazy. It's a 3-0 game and we should be sweeping teams like Algeria and Slovenia aside without breaking sweat. I remember watching the draw in the pub and all we could do was try and work out who we would be playing in the round of 16 and here we are worried about Slovenia.

Exile...Excellent post.

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:35 am

Fabio reveals England team early :

http://twitpic.com/1z7nft

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:38 pm

I'm soooooooooooooooooo excited, been here before though, always ends in tears. This time would be worse, although think the tears will be put on hold for another day, we'll do it, comfortably, 3-0. COME ON ENGLAND. Early goal and it'll be a rout, gets to half time without a lead and will start to worry

ciscokid
UTS Legend

Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:44 pm

I have a negative feeling about this one---as I did before the start of the WC. If England win, I will be wrong.
Problem is, I am sick of being right.
GULP---not looking forward to this one :?

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:49 pm

ciscokid wrote:I have a negative feeling about this one---as I did before the start of the WC. If England win, I will be wrong.
Problem is, I am sick of being right.
GULP---not looking forward to this one :?

No, nor me, but it has to be done.

England 1-0.

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:50 pm

Was looking forward too it until I saw the team.

James
Johnson, Terry, Upson, A. Cole
Milner, Lampard, Barry, Gerrard
Defoe, Rooney

What is he doing? No Joe Cole? Gerrard on the left? Milner on the right? Still playing 4-4-2. What happened to him learning from his mistakes?

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:51 pm

moaning saddler wrote:Fabio reveals England team early :

http://twitpic.com/1z7nft

I like the way they've used Heskeys own head! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Horozontal Harry
Glitterati

Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:07 pm

saddlerJP wrote:I'm soooooooooooooooooo excited, been here before though, always ends in tears. This time would be worse, although think the tears will be put on hold for another day, we'll do it, comfortably, 3-0. COME ON ENGLAND. Early goal and it'll be a rout, gets to half time without a lead and will start to worry

I can remember watching all the World Cups since 1966, but can honestly say I have never been as underwhelmed before as I am with this one.

I have no work to do today, a garage full of beer, enough pork scratchings to lay along the border of Gaza to keep the Israelis out forever, more jelly babies than a pervo at a school gate and my house is as quiet and lonely as the English section of the changing rooms at Wimbledon LTA. Yet for some reason I feel about as excited as a Pelican about to go for a swim in the Gulf of Mexico.

Does anyone else feel like this, or am I having another mid-life crisis?

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:17 pm

Horozontal Harry wrote:
saddlerJP wrote:I'm soooooooooooooooooo excited, been here before though, always ends in tears. This time would be worse, although think the tears will be put on hold for another day, we'll do it, comfortably, 3-0. COME ON ENGLAND. Early goal and it'll be a rout, gets to half time without a lead and will start to worry

I can remember watching all the World Cups since 1966, but can honestly say I have never been as underwhelmed before as I am with this one.

I have no work to do today, a garage full of beer, enough pork scratchings to lay along the border of Gaza to keep the Israelis out forever, more jelly babies than a pervo at a school gate and my house is as quiet and lonely as the English section of the changing rooms at Wimbledon LTA. Yet for some reason I feel about as excited as a Pelican about to go for a swim in the Gulf of Mexico.

Does anyone else feel like this, or am I having another mid-life crisis?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Next
Return to England Highs & Lows