Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Eff Off Rooney.

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Exile
Jobsworth

Re: Eff Off Rooney.

Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:44 am

I bet Rooney and Susan Boyle would get on like a house on fire.

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:45 am

chestersaddler wrote:Talk about from hero to zero.

The fickleness of the English media and some of the public is frightening.

Of course, the need for a villain (David Beckham 1998 for example) when things go wrong is part of the English pysche.

Rooney was out of order for saying what he said, but why the uproar? It is not as if we do not know that these over paid prima donnas are divoced from the people who support the game from the stands. The public have enabled it to happen by buying into the nonsense called celebrity.

Rooney is an uneducated man who has achieved great wealth at an early age, has limited social skills and sometimes finds it difficult to control his emotions. In most other walks of life he would not be exposed to the limeight that is the media. Simple, really.

I rather like that summary chester, his ill thought out [or lack of it] reaction closely mirrors that of some fans. The usual comments always get trotted out, 'my gran, my dead gran or Alan Buckleys gran could play better etc etc' , earns millions, doesn't care, doesn't try, he's fat, useless; when in reality it is a totally absurd notion. We know they played crap and the reason why.

It's all in the head isn't it?

Nothing wrong with booing or showing your displeasure after the game by the way. :D

ciscokid
UTS Legend

Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:49 am

I will say this for Rooney----on the plus side, he cares. He may have been crud in this WC so far, but this latest outburst shows that this result really hurt.
The other England positive is that there are similarities with England's 1986 WC group campaign here. Two poor performances and then a superb victory in the final qualifying game 3-0 against Poland. Mind you, we don’t have Beardsley and Lineker up front this time.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:52 am

ciscokid wrote:Mind you, we don’t have Beardsley and Lineker up front this time.

Remember what was said about them at the time? Makeshift and one-dimensional spring immediately to my mind, but as they fade to history they assume the status of giants to beat the modern age with.

ciscokid
UTS Legend

Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:59 am

Exile wrote:
ciscokid wrote:Mind you, we don’t have Beardsley and Lineker up front this time.

Remember what was said about them at the time? Makeshift and one-dimensional spring immediately to my mind, but as they fade to history they assume the status of giants to beat the modern age with.

Well that said, let's hope Rooney follows Lineker's achievement and gets the Golden Boot :wink:

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:49 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:Still, same results as the start of Italia 90, so fingers crossed it picks up from here.

Sorry I don't buy this. How can we take positives from getting the same opening results in another World Cup we didn't win?

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:56 pm

priestley_saddler wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:Still, same results as the start of Italia 90, so fingers crossed it picks up from here.

Sorry I don't buy this. How can we take positives from getting the same opening results in another World Cup we didn't win?

Err, because at the moment qualifying the next round would be a positive, wouldn't you say? Anything can happen in the knockout stages. I understand you don't seem to take many positives judging by your comments on Walsall FC so I won't criticise you too harshly.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:23 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
priestley_saddler wrote:

Err, because at the moment qualifying the next round would be a positive, wouldn't you say? Anything can happen in the knockout stages. I understand you don't seem to take many positives judging by your comments on Walsall FC so I won't criticise you too harshly.

As someone already said we peed all over Holland in the second game and Gascoigne our key creative player was awesome, showing a taste of things to come. On Fricday we were utterly utterly pants and our key creative player Rooney couldn't trap a simple ten yards pass to his feet.

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:31 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
priestley_saddler wrote:

Which comments on Walsall FC would these be? :?

I just don't see how saying "Well we did it in Italia 90" makes this situation any more positive. You're not the first person I've heard say this and I'll say to you what I said to them. In no way are we more likely to progress in this competition because we've matched Italia 90's results than if we'd actually won both our games so far. If we do reach the latter stages of the tournament (and you'll notice my positivity on the Official World Cup Thread when I predicted we'd reach the semi's before losing to Holland :wink: ) then it wont be because we've drew the opening two games, it will be despite this.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:33 pm

Exile wrote:

Jeez, what we would give for a player like Beardsley now, any striker in the world would score goals with that bloke playing behind him. They just don't make players like that any more, and if they do, they certainly aren't English.

That isn't just looking back through rose tinted glasses either, he really was a truly gifted footballer, without an ego to go with it. Being ugly probably helped him :D

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:50 am

Exile wrote:I bet Rooney and Susan Boyle would get on like a house on fire.

She's the right age for him to be fair.

Previous
Return to England Highs & Lows