Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Wide open

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
PINNACLE
UTS Legend

Wide open

Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:05 pm

This is not so much as a good World cup, Its a great one. Never have i seen the so called minnows put up such a fight, and it makes for a great tournament.
I along with many others thought that we would coast our group and miss the Germans in the next round when they won theirs, but Hey whats going on. Everyone is beating everyone else and that is what is making it such a great competition.
The so called favourites are finding it a lot more difficult and although class and skill may tell in the end, some of them really are making hard work of it. As things stand (at 4 o/clock) we have to win our last 2 games to avoid playing Germany if they can still win their group.
And now usa have just pulled one back.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Re: Wide open

Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:12 pm

Never underestimate anybody. They are in the World Cup for a reason.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:13 pm

I'm not so worried about playing Germany in the next round as long as we get there ! As you say nothing is certain.
It is quite possible we could win our group and still play Germany, so we can't really worry about that. It is also possible Germany wont make it !

latviancheese
Site Addict

Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:14 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:I'm not so worried about playing Germany in the next round as long as we get there ! As you say nothing is certain.
It is quite possible we could win our group and still play Germany, so we can't really worry about that. It is also possible Germany wont make it !

I want to play Germany, we have to beat them in the WC eventually.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:16 pm

latviancheese wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:I'm not so worried about playing Germany in the next round as long as we get there ! As you say nothing is certain.

I want to play Germany, we have to beat them in the WC eventually.

All in good time my friend, in the Final !

PINNACLE
UTS Legend

Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:21 pm

You have to agree though, some of the so called world beaters have been so humbled and put in there place.
Not saying that its going to last, but it is so refreshing to watch.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:25 pm

PINNACLE wrote:You have to agree though, some of the so called world beaters have been so humbled and put in there place.

I must say im always one for the underdog, so its great for me. Favourite so far was the Swiss beating Spain. Cant stand Spain, they appear to be a bunch of cheats.

PINNACLE
UTS Legend

Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:32 pm

latviancheese wrote:
PINNACLE wrote:You have to agree though, some of the so called world beaters have been so humbled and put in there place.

I must say im always one for the underdog, so its great for me. Favourite so far was the Swiss beating Spain. Cant stand Spain, they appear to be a bunch of cheats.

Totally agree, but wasn't it a joy to see our closest european neighbours get well and truly turned over by Mexico :D

latviancheese
Site Addict

Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:34 pm

I really like the south american teams in it this year, both Mexico and Chile look good. Still not all that convinced by the argies.

PINNACLE
UTS Legend

Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:39 pm

USA have just equalised :D yeeessssssssssssss

latviancheese
Site Addict

Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:41 pm

Ugh, i wanted Slovenia to win.

Duke
Site Addict

Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:44 pm

Its the most open world cup i can remember , very foolish to write the Germans off .

PINNACLE
UTS Legend

Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:46 pm

latviancheese wrote:Ugh, i wanted Slovenia to win.

I didn't want them on 6 points

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:56 pm

PINNACLE wrote:

Why not?
They would have already qualified which would have made it easier for us in the last game.
A win against Algeria and Slovenia would put us on 7 points and so we'd still top the group.

PT
Site Addict

Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:06 pm

SaddlerSteve wrote:
PINNACLE wrote:

Why not?
They would have already qualified which would have made it easier for us in the last game.
A win against Algeria and Slovenia would put us on 7 points and so we'd still top the group.

A draw is good for us. Takes a point out of the group. Not that it should matter.

PINNACLE
UTS Legend

Fri Jun 18, 2010 4:08 pm

PT wrote:
SaddlerSteve wrote:
PINNACLE wrote:

Why not?

A draw is good for us. Takes a point out of the group. Not that it should matter.

Exactly as i see it.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:55 pm

Me too, why on earth would anyone want the Yanks to win ?

Should make no difference in footballing terms, if we can't get through this group, we don't deserve to stay anyway.

PINNACLE
UTS Legend

Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:33 pm

Well, after watching this weekends games i am still of the opinion of the title of this thread.
OK, i know that we cant get any worse, but i still expect us to qualify along with the likes of the Italians, Spanish, Germans and any of the others that have had not such an easy passage as they first expected.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:55 pm

PINNACLE wrote:Well, after watching this weekends games i am still of the opinion of the title of this thread.
OK, i know that we cant get any worse, but i still expect us to qualify along with the likes of the Italians, Spanish, Germans and any of the others that have had not such an easy passage as they first expected.

Except the French? :D

Return to England Highs & Lows