Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Anyone noticed??

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Atomic Rooster
UTS Veteran

Anyone noticed??

Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:27 pm

France cant win the group now.

So that means either Uruguay/Mexico/S.Korea/Greece will be the quarter finalists to the winner of our group (hopefully us) and either Ghana/Serbia/Australia.

So IF we win the group this could be the easiest route to the semi finals :mrgreen:

Come on boys!!!!

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Re: Anyone noticed??

Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:57 am

France have been terrible, and I really dont know what Domenech is doing. Ive watched them for 3 consecutive matches now, in each one theyve played a 4-5-1/4-2-3-1 formation with Anelka as the lone striker and Gouvou, Malouda and Ribery as the supporting 3 attacking "wingers" and theyve not looked like scoring once. All this with Thierry Henry on the bench, who, regardless of his antics against Ireland, is still one of the top strikers in the world. So you've got a team that cant score and a world class striker being left on the bench - Madness

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:11 am

I read somewhere that France are a team where the big names call all the shots but do none of the work. Yesterday the players were hardly even passing to each other. They're all like William Gallas and will throw a childish strop if they don't get their own way. Yoann Gourcuff has been one of the stars of Laurent Blanc's Bordeaux side but has been sidelined by Domenech because some of the other players have decided they don't like him.

As for the OP...yes Ghana and Mexico is an appealing route to the semis. However part of me thinks that playing Argentina or France would have been easier.

PT
Site Addict

Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:39 am

Finding a heroic way to get knocked out is looking trickier all the time.

Looks like plan B - the anti-English ref - will have to be dusted off.

Failing that, we've actually got a decent chance.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:54 am

PT wrote:Finding a heroic way to get knocked out is looking trickier all the time.

Looks like plan B - the anti-English ref - will have to be dusted off.

Failing that, we've actually got a decent chance.

mmm, I don't even try and think about it like that, because you just know if there is a way to get knocked out, we will find it.

I heard a great comment on the radio yesterday, England aren't playing well enough to get knocked out yet. If you look back over the years, there is some truth in it !

latviancheese
Site Addict

Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:43 pm

Yep, if we win the WC again we will probably do it in zero style, the english way :mrgreen:

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:00 pm

latviancheese wrote:Yep, if we win the WC again we will probably do it in zero style, the english way :mrgreen:

I can live with that. :D

AlexTheWalsallFan
Glitterati

Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:10 pm

With germany losing today if they finish second and we finish top it means we play them in the next round and there's still the possibilty that we finish second and germany finish first gulp

latviancheese
Site Addict

Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:10 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
latviancheese wrote:Yep, if we win the WC again we will probably do it in zero style, the english way :mrgreen:

And me, as long as we don't win with a hand ball or a dive. I honestly couldn't live with that.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:17 pm

latviancheese wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:

And me, as long as we don't win with a hand ball or a dive. I honestly couldn't live with that.

A handball against Argentina would be just perfect, or on penalties against Germany !

latviancheese
Site Addict

Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:19 pm

Against Argentina anything goes. And boy would i love to see them complain.

Return to England Highs & Lows