Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

England v Algeria

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
dornansog
UTS Veteran

Re: England v Algeria

Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:29 pm

As for Rooney "World class?" dont make me laugh. Just looked like some fat bloke having a kickabout with his mates after a few beers. His ball control was appalling. They deserved the boos they got ....and more

He came back too soon to play for Man U at the risk of not being fit for World Cup. Thanks Wayne , nice to see where your loyalties lie

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:31 pm

dornansog wrote:As for Rooney "World class?" dont make me laugh. Just looked like some fat bloke having a kickabout with his mates after a few beers. His ball control was appalling. They deserved the boos they got ....and more

He came back too soon to play for Man U at the risk of not being fit for World Cup. Thanks Wayne , nice to see where your loyalties lie

He's always been overated. I remember going to watch him against Maldova at Old Trafford a few years ago, worst player on the whole pitch by some way, at least Mclarren had the sense to take him off. Cappello, drop him for fudge sake.

The Red Prince
Site Addict

Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:42 pm

dornansog wrote:When SWP is your first sub it betrays not only a lack of depth in the squad but also a total lack of ideas from the coach.

SWP runs like his knees are on backwards. Has he ever had the ball under control in his whole career?

Our two best options for changing the game stayed on the bench. Joe Cole and Beckham (yeah i know but he couldnt have done any worse than the "fit" players on the pitch)

Ashamed :evil: :evil:

Looks like Fabio Capello is more like Michele Bassetto, especially when it comes to the fact that "England will be playing four four fudge TWO!!"

latviancheese
Site Addict

Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:47 pm

The Red Prince wrote:
dornansog wrote:When SWP is your first sub it betrays not only a lack of depth in the squad but also a total lack of ideas from the coach.

SWP runs like his knees are on backwards. Has he ever had the ball under control in his whole career?

Our two best options for changing the game stayed on the bench. Joe Cole and Beckham (yeah i know but he couldnt have done any worse than the "fit" players on the pitch)

Ashamed :evil: :evil:

Looks like Fabio Capello is more like Michele Bassetto, especially when it comes to the fact that "England will be playing four four fudge TWO!!"

:lol: :lol: :lol:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:49 pm

You cant ban people for swearing after that performance, surely :mrgreen:

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:28 pm

I always try and see the best in any performance, but that was inexcusable.

The comment made by Gerrard that "this was Algeria's cup final" says it all for me. Arrogance tempered with an inability to cope with pressure equals failure. At least Algeria could pass and retain possession, we were random, hapless and without direction.

The World cup will be no loss without England, yet we can still qualify with a win against Slovenia. Over to you Capello.

PS Lampard was useless, as usual.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:05 pm

BathSaddler wrote:I always try and see the best in any performance, but that was inexcusable.

The comment made by Gerrard that "this was Algeria's cup final" says it all for me. Arrogance tempered with an inability to cope with pressure equals failure. At least Algeria could pass and retain possession, we were random, hapless and without direction.

The World cup will be no loss without England, yet we can still qualify with a win against Slovenia. Over to you Capello.

And which player had the only decent shot of target? Oh..... that will be useless Frank.......
Play him in the role he plays for Chelsea, and he will score goals and create chances.
Ever thought to yourself why does he score so many in premier league?
Oh well, I dont expect people like you to think.....

How you have the cheek to single out any player for that performance, just about sums up your idiotic post.
The whole team were useless.
Get it?
:roll:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:08 pm

They were all terrible bar David James.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:11 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:I always try and see the best in any performance, but that was inexcusable.

And which player had the only decent shot of target? Oh..... that will be useless Frank.......
Play him in the role he plays for Chelsea, and he will score goals and create chances.

How you have the cheek to single out any player for that performance, just about sums up your idiotic post.
Get it?

Lampard is supposed by some to be 'world class' :?

Where was he? :?:

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:12 pm

latviancheese wrote:They were all terrible bar David James.

Exactly.
To single people out like certain idiots have, is just ridiculous.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:12 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:

Get it?

Well, lets just say your definition of 'decent shot' is different to mine. He was from 6 yards out and mishit it, did'nt he? Lampard represents the worst aspects of the England National Team: a big reputation who fails to deliver time after time.

Everyone underperformed, but Lampard consistently does so.

Oh, and Gerrard had a shot on target as well. Not that you ever let the facts get in the way of your posts.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:13 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:

Well he was sha*ing a sl*t from Thailand, thats for sure!

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:16 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
SaigonSaddler wrote:

Well he was sha*ing a sl*t from Thailand, thats for sure!

:lol:

So that's where he was. He certainly wasn't at the ****ing game WAS HE?

Exile
Jobsworth

Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:35 pm

Utter cack, England. Utter cack. :(

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:27 am

[post moderated - OTT]

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:08 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
latviancheese wrote:They were all terrible bar David James.

Exactly.
To single people out like certain idiots have, is just ridiculous.

I think it is fair to single out Rooney. His comments were a disgrace, his performance was worse. The support England had their yesterday is bordering on ridiculous , considering how far away it is, and how much money it would cost. I think they have every right to boo.

Your right, Lampard was no worse than the rest of the midfield. Or the rest of the team. I think Cappello needs singling out for getting it so so wrong, and not changing it when it was bleedin obvious after 20 minutes it wasn't working.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:11 am

philthesaddler wrote:[post modded].

Oh come on, Phil - don't sit on the fence. What do you really think about Wayne Rooney?

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:23 am

Pedagogue wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:[modded].

Oh come on, Phil - don't sit on the fence. What do you really think about Wayne Rooney?

It's unusual, but I agree with every word he said. To be honest I would hope that is the edited version.

ciscokid
UTS Legend

Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:34 am

We can still qualify with a win in the 3rd game, but not with Wayne Rooney playing. Not sure whats wrong but he is totally in-effective---must be an injury
Lessons to be learnt.
Lesson1...No more building players or managers up to be some sort of gods or icons. They're human beings the same as everybody else with the same frailties
Lesson2...The FA have to take a huge proportion of responsibility for the above. It's a money making circus around England.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:01 am

Let's face it, WE AIN'T GOOD ENOUGH. Nothing else. Just not good enough.

They showed some stats yesterday and England make some 300 passes in a game, completing 60 odd percent of them (just marginally above the Premier League average). the like of Brazil and Spain make nearly 600 passes on average, completing over 80 percent of them, BECAUSE THEY KNOW NOT TO GIVE THE BLOODY BALL AWAY, unlike Gerrard, Lampard, etc, who continually try glory passes that look brilliant when they do come off, but normally just give possession away. The fault for that? It's the way we play the game. The "entertainment" value of the Premiership is inversely proprtional to our chances of winning International Tournaments and that will never, ever change unless we become more discerning about what makes good football. It'll never happen.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:06 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Let's face it, WE AIN'T GOOD ENOUGH. Nothing else. Just not good enough.

They showed some stats yesterday and England make some 300 passes in a game, completing 60 odd percent of them (just marginally above the Premier League average). the like of Brazil and Spain make nearly 600 passes on average, completing over 80 percent of them, BECAUSE THEY KNOW NOT TO GIVE THE BLOODY BALL AWAY, unlike Gerrard, Lampard, etc, who continually try glory passes that look brilliant when they do come off, but normally just give possession away. The fault for that? It's the way we play the game. The "entertainment" value of the Premiership is inversely proprtional to our chances of winning International Tournaments and that will never, ever change unless we become more discerning about what makes good football. It'll never happen.

There may be some truth in that, but hey, isn't that why we paid a fortune for a supposed world class coach ? Who just sat there in a sven like manner, watching the game pass us by, never changed the formation, the same old rigid, non penetrating football. His answer was to bring on possibly one of the worst players ever to wear and England shirt in Shaun Wright Phillips, why ?

We may not be good enough,but we are good enough to beat Algeria ffs. If we had drawn 0-0 and given it a real go, then fair enough, but players and manager alike can do so much better than this.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:11 am

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Let's face it, WE AIN'T GOOD ENOUGH. Nothing else. Just not good enough.

There may be some truth in that, but hey, isn't that why we paid a fortune for a supposed world class coach ? Who just sat there in a sven like manner, watching the game pass us by, never changed the formation, the same old rigid, non penetrating football. His answer was to bring on possibly one of the worst players ever to wear and England shirt in Shaun Wright Phillips, why ?

We may not be good enough,but we are good enough to beat Algeria ffs. If we had drawn 0-0 and given it a real go, then fair enough, but players and manager alike can do so much better than this.

I'm not denying Capello's rigidity was shown up, BUT, and it's a huge but, we'll never get any change as long as we keep blaming individuals instead of the system - just like we do with Lawn Tennis. We blame Murray and Henman for being "bottlers", instead of asking why they have no home grown competition.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:21 am

Anybody still think Sven was a bad manager for us?

Rooney is a disgrace, and I hope he gets booed at every ground he plays at for Man Utd next season. I know where you're coming from Neil, but the players are good enough in terms of talent. They're not good enough in terms of attitude, committment, desire, hunger, temprament, and the managers aren't good enough in playing people in the right positions. They always fall into the trap of choosing the best players from the Premiership. Balls to that.

Pick a young, hungry squad of 23 that includes 3 keepers and 2 players in each of the other positions but they must play there week in, week out for their club, Graydon style. Everyone knows their job, so if someone gets injured/suspended the person comes straight in and is comfortable, no excuses. That club doesn't have to be one of the top 6. It could be any club in any division if they impress and have the desire to play for their country. If that means leaving Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney etc at home instead of playing them out of position, then so be it.

I honestly believe the current Walsall team could have put in a better performance last night....and scored goals. Chris Hutchings ain't that bad, you know.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:27 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:Anybody still think Sven was a bad manager for us?

Rooney is a disgrace, and I hope he gets booed at every ground he plays at for Man Utd next season. I know where you're coming from Neil, but the players are good enough in terms of talent. They're not good enough in terms of attitude, committment, desire, hunger, temprament, and the managers aren't good enough in playing people in the right positions. They always fall into the trap of choosing the best players from the Premiership. Balls to that.

Pick a young, hungry squad of 23 that includes 3 keepers and 2 players in each of the other positions but they must play there week in, week out for their club, Graydon style. Everyone knows their job, so if someone gets injured/suspended the person comes straight in and is comfortable, no excuses. That club doesn't have to be one of the top 6. It could be any club in any division if they impress and have the desire to play for their country. If that means leaving Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney etc at home instead of playing them out of position, then so be it.

I honestly believe the current Walsall team could have put in a better performance last night....and scored goals. Chris Hutchings ain't that bad, you know.

Yes mate, because he did exactly what Cappello did last night. Just sat there and watch us dwindle away. Good managers could have changed something last night, not like for like substitutions, but really change the shape of the team.

Why is Cappello the only one that can't see Gerrard should play up front with Rooney ? The few times either of them did anything last night was when they linked together. Then the whole midfield would be better for it.

Sven was no different, Cappello is just making the same mistakes. Sven had a great qualifying record, not quite as good as Cappello's though right ? All said and done we will probably get to the next round, but not much further. Same old same old.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:30 am

Sven got us to the final stages each time. Looks what's happened in both tournaments since. He still had the same rubbish to work with. The Premiership has killed the national game, just like it did in Scotland many years earlier. Worse it yet to come, when these so called golden years players retire.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:33 am

Jesus, I hope Fat Frank doesn't want an acting career after his footballing one... It's obvious now he's as lost on the big stage as any 9-year-old weener kid on X-Factor.

Pap. All pap.

Rooney needs to have a right bloody think.

At least Gerrard looked "enthusiastic*"

* It is the best word I could think of at the time...

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:36 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:Sven got us to the final stages each time. Looks what's happened in both tournaments since. He still had the same rubbish to work with. The Premiership has killed the national game, just like it did in Scotland many years earlier. Worse it yet to come, when these so called golden years players retire.

Your missing the point though. He still didn't get the best out of what he had. I agree with what you say, I don't care if Gerrard, Rooney, Lampard etc play or not. I want a team that looks like they want to be there. That guy for North Korea the other night was crying he was so proud to be there, he run his nadgers off for 90 mins. Okay he wasn't very good, but he never ever gave up.

I want a manager that can see past his nose. That builds the team around the best players , playing where they are at their best. The rest can slot in and make the numbers up providing they all have a roll, and know what they are doing.

Whatever anyone says to me they wont ever convince me that Sven failed. He was more bothered about getting his end away in the end, than England doing anything. I dunno what Cappello's problem is, maybe it is because he isn't English. He is failing to , barring a massive turn around where he see's some kind of sense.

We may as well have stuck with Mclaren, seriously, because he was no better,or no worse.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:00 am

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:Sven got us to the final stages each time. Looks what's happened in both tournaments since. He still had the same rubbish to work with. The Premiership has killed the national game, just like it did in Scotland many years earlier. Worse it yet to come, when these so called golden years players retire.

Your missing the point though. He still didn't get the best out of what he had. I agree with what you say, I don't care if Gerrard, Rooney, Lampard etc play or not. I want a team that looks like they want to be there. That guy for North Korea the other night was crying he was so proud to be there, he run his nadgers off for 90 mins. Okay he wasn't very good, but he never ever gave up.

I want a manager that can see past his nose. That builds the team around the best players , playing where they are at their best. The rest can slot in and make the numbers up providing they all have a roll, and know what they are doing.

Whatever anyone says to me they wont ever convince me that Sven failed. He was more bothered about getting his end away in the end, than England doing anything. I dunno what Cappello's problem is, maybe it is because he isn't English. He is failing to , barring a massive turn around where he see's some kind of sense.
We may as well have stuck with Mclaren, seriously, because he was no better,or no worse.

I ay sure of that... We're here for a start :D

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:05 am

Well that should put an end to the collective hand wristing over the likes of Rooney, Frank and Stevie G.

Unable to string a few passes together for any sustained periods,
Positional sense of a team of deaf moles
Players that run into nowhere
No instinct when placing the ball through to others.

Christ, even if we beat Slovenia, what's going to happen when someone decent gets hold of us?

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:07 am

I wish we had more strength in depth, then those three could be dropped for a start, starting places should not be taken for granted.

PreviousNext
Return to England Highs & Lows