Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

England v Algeria

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Re: England v Algeria

Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:09 am

Derby, add to that Terry, and the myth of G. Johnson.

I think the only ones who I wouldn't have had shot after that game would be Gerrard, A.Cole and Barry.

swiftyboy
Site Addict

England v Algeria

Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:10 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:Anybody still think Sven was a bad manager for us?

Rooney is a disgrace, and I hope he gets booed at every ground he plays at for Man Utd next season. I know where you're coming from Neil, but the players are good enough in terms of talent. They're not good enough in terms of attitude, committment, desire, hunger, temprament, and the managers aren't good enough in playing people in the right positions. They always fall into the trap of choosing the best players from the Premiership. Balls to that.

Pick a young, hungry squad of 23 that includes 3 keepers and 2 players in each of the other positions but they must play there week in, week out for their club, Graydon style. Everyone knows their job, so if someone gets injured/suspended the person comes straight in and is comfortable, no excuses. That club doesn't have to be one of the top 6. It could be any club in any division if they impress and have the desire to play for their country. If that means leaving Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney etc at home instead of playing them out of position, then so be it.

I honestly believe the current Walsall team could have put in a better performance last night....and scored goals. Chris Hutchings ain't that bad, you know.

I agree with most of that.

I think the problem is, and always has been the FA. I truly believe that they are more interested in the commercial side of World Football. They only want the "big" names in the squad, so that there is more interest worldwide. They couldn't care less about the football side.

Some questions that need answering are:-

Why did Capello choose Wright-Phillips over Walcot, when Walcot has the pace to change a game?

Why did he not bring an extremely exiting and promising creative player like Adam Johnson?

Why, with Crouches amazing goalscoring record for England, is he sat on the bench?

Why, is Joe Cole on the bench, despite looking more creative as a player than any other pre-World Cup?

Why, did Capello play Milner against USA when he had been out with sickness only days before?

Why, did Capello bring King despite his lack of fitness?

Why, when Joe Hart has looked the most promising performer recently, has he been completely overlooked?

Why did Capello play Hesky with Rooney again when it clearly didn't work in the first game? Yes Hesky won a lot of the ball, but then what? Nothing. Rooney ended up having to drop deep for the ball, leaving nobody up front, and it happened again last night.

All questions that shouldn't even have to be asked, as to me, the situations defy belief. Instead of relying on the older, so called "big names" we should be playing the younger, sharper, more enthusiastic players, like Johnson, Walcot, Hart etc, and building for now, and in the future.

I can see Wednesday becoming the darkest day for English football for years. Beckenbaur was 100% correct in his assumption, that we have gone backwards under Capello, and it makes me very angry

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:13 am

Another question would be: What the bloody hell happened to our team that we had in qualifying?

Rolling over teams at will and keeping the ball... They've gone to the World Cup retarded.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:14 am

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:Derby, add to that Terry, and the myth of G. Johnson.

I think the only ones who I wouldn't have had shot after that game would be Gerrard, A.Cole and Barry.

Oh gawd, I forgot Terry's half arsed pass that nearly but James in the brown slop.

Nah sorry, Gerrard can sod off as well, he just stood around blaming everyone else because he'd lost the ability to pick out a shirt coloured white.

Johnson tried for me put he looks lost, he needs to think for a second or two where to pass the ball, you just can't do that at this level, you don't have time.

Ashley to be fair wasn't bad, Barry did alright cleaning up but struggled when he tried to get forward ( he doesn't look match fit to me)

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:17 am

derbysaddler wrote:

Oh gawd, I forgot Terry's half arsed pass that nearly but James in the brown slop.

Nah sorry, Gerrard can sod off as well, he just stood around blaming everyone else because he'd lost the ability to pick out a shirt coloured white.

Johnson tried for me put he looks lost, he needs to think for a second or two where to pass the ball, you just can't do that at this level, you don't have time.

Ashley to be fair wasn't bad, Barry did alright cleaning up but struggled when he tried to get forward ( he doesn't look match fit to me)

It was a very thin line between Gerrard being shot or not.

People loffed at me for fancying the man, the legend, The Mighty Neviller to go though. Would he be any worse? Doubt it... At least he knows the int'l game like the back of his hand.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:23 am

Neville is currently enjoying a summer course in wood work, on his way to making a fine coat stand I believe.

Another thing that pisses me off, last night the pundits were thinking that Capello is too harsh on them? what? they are grown adults not toddlers, we have one of the oldest teams on average there, they should have now some experience of big games, and they should have some personal responsibility and professionalism.

Arh, maybe its the kick up the arse they need to get going

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:35 am

I think the only ones I would have excluded were James and Barry. Gerrard was pretty woeful too. To be honest, playing him on the left is so pathetic, how often was he on the left ? Not very often, so who was ? That's no excuse on his behalf though, he is still much better than what we saw last night.

As Swifty rightly said, Wednesday could be a very dark day, and even if we win, we shouldn't even be that happy if we win.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:36 am

Blazing_Saddler wrote:

I think the only ones I would have excluded were James and Barry. Gerrard was pretty woeful too. To be honest, playing him on the left is so pathetic, how often was he on the left ? Not very often, so who was ? That's no excuse on his behalf though, he is still much better than what we saw last night.

As Swifty rightly said, Wednesday could be a very dark day, and even if we win, we shouldn't even be that happy if we win.

Sorry - forgotten James. He didn't have much to do so I just left him out of my memory.

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Sat Jun 19, 2010 11:35 am

dont you think this is the real life mike basset haha

were a laughing stock

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Jun 19, 2010 12:37 pm

He is just another Sven. Aint got a clue when his players dont perform.

ciscokid
UTS Legend

Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:36 pm

brummie saddler wrote:dont you think this is the real life mike basset haha

were a laughing stock

Just what I was thinking

"On a positive note them bloody Algerians were good wern't they". Three cheers for the Algerians....hip hip...
:mrgreen:

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:53 pm

very unfair to pick out individuals no England player with the exception of James can take any credit from that performance .

the manager as to share the criticism .

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:58 pm

Duke wrote:very unfair to pick out individuals no England player with the exception of James can take any credit from that performance .

the manager as to share the criticism .

I think it is fair to pick out one individual , who the nation put a lot of hope on. Who basically went through the motions for two games, then decided our supporters are anything but loyal. To be honest, if Fabio had any balls , he'd make him make a public apology, or send the twonk home.

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:34 pm

The likes of Rooney , Gerrard and Lampard have the ability to turn it around we see week in week out in the premiership /champions league
question is , as Capello got the ability .

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:39 pm

Duke wrote:The likes of Rooney , Gerrard and Lampard have the ability to turn it around we see week in week out in the premiership /champions league

Well yes. In the same way you say you see Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard et al Fabio Capello has won things all his life.

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:44 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
Duke wrote:The likes of Rooney , Gerrard and Lampard have the ability to turn it around we see week in week out in the premiership /champions league

Well yes. In the same way you say you see Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard et al Fabio Capello has won things all his life.

well he certainly lacked the ability to change it last night .

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:48 pm

Duke wrote:

He did. But so did supposedly world class players. Don't hype up the players and knock the boss. That ay fair.

Duke
Site Addict

Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:53 pm

Duke wrote:

He did. But so did supposedly world class players. Don't hype up the players and knock the boss. That ay fair.

I'm not like the players and the manager have to share the blame .they are quick enough to take the plaudits when things go well.

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:00 pm

ciscokid wrote:
brummie saddler wrote:dont you think this is the real life mike basset haha

were a laughing stock

Just what I was thinking

"On a positive note them bloody Algerians were good wern't they". Three cheers for the Algerians....hip hip...
:mrgreen:

haha f**in love it

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Jun 19, 2010 4:27 pm

Duke wrote:

I agree, the players have been lack luster for years. They were to blame for us not qualifying for Euro 2008. They stroll around like they don't give a toss, yet you watch them for their clubs breaking their necks to win matches.

I said it in my "If I could talk to the England Squad" They are going to look back on their lives and realise they didn't give it everything they had got. What are they waiting for ? If they give it their all and lose, then so be it, but no way in this world was that England team playing like their life depended on it.

I don't listen to football pundits really, but Jurgen Klinsmann just made the point on tv. It matters not what position you play, just give it everything, make things happen, no one is going to do it for you.

Cappello didn't help himself, His decisions last night were poor to say the least, but he can't be blamed for the lack of commitment and desire that team showed last night, and many other nights before it.

PGtips

Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:20 pm

I spent less than 15 quid on match ticket and transport home to the game last night. Its a bargain of a lifetime for a world cup fixture - or should be. However I honestly feel cheated by that shocking performance.

My heart goes out to the England fans we met prior to kick off who had spent fortunes to get there. A taxi driver who sold his car to buy plane and match tickets, builders from Staffordshire who had taken out a loan as work has dried up and a couple from Essex who had saved for 5 years and arrive the night before on the cheapest 26 hr flight via Qatar and Nairobi and have paid premier rates to stay in a backpackers lodge with no bathroom.

I have never really bought into the arguements over players not understanding much much the ordinary fan pays to follow them but yesterday was an eye opener for me. 90% of that stadium was following England. There are more England fans here than any other nation has brought and god knows how much they have paid in these shite economic times.

Is it then too much to ask for our star centre forward to be able to trap a football or for two midfielders to pass a football between each other. If even this is actually too much then perhaps they could have the deceny to keep their traps shut instead of criticising people who have shelled out small fortunes to be there.

Thought I should wait 24 hrs before posting but my blood is still boiling. What a total shambles.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:29 pm

swiftyboy wrote:

I think the problem is, and always has been the FA. I truly believe that they are more interested in the commercial side of World Football. They only want the "big" names in the squad, so that there is more interest worldwide. They couldn't care less about the football side.

Why did Capello choose Wright-Phillips over Walcot, when Walcot has the pace to change a game?

Why did he not bring an extremely exiting and promising creative player like Adam Johnson?

Why, with Crouches amazing goalscoring record for England, is he sat on the bench?

Why, is Joe Cole on the bench, despite looking more creative as a player than any other pre-World Cup?

Why, did Capello play Milner against USA when he had been out with sickness only days before?

Why, when Joe Hart has looked the most promising performer recently, has he been completely overlooked?

Why did Capello play Hesky with Rooney again when it clearly didn't work in the first game? Yes Hesky won a lot of the ball, but then what? Nothing. Rooney ended up having to drop deep for the ball, leaving nobody up front, and it happened again last night.

All questions that shouldn't even have to be asked, as to me, the situations defy belief. Instead of relying on the older, so called "big names" we should be playing the younger, sharper, more enthusiastic players, like Johnson, Walcot, Hart etc, and building for now, and in the future.

I can see Wednesday becoming the darkest day for English football for years. Beckenbaur was 100% correct in his assumption, that we have gone backwards under Capello, and it makes me very angry

One final question you have missed.

What do you know about managing England?

Absolutely nothing, you idiot.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:33 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:Sven got us to the final stages each time. Looks what's happened in both tournaments since. He still had the same rubbish to work with. The Premiership has killed the national game, just like it did in Scotland many years earlier. Worse it yet to come, when these so called golden years players retire.

Are you on a different planet?
Sven had our players in their PRIME.
He also defended a lead like no tomorrow.
If you honstly think Sven is better than Capello, well there is no hope for ya is there.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:57 pm

Felt sorry for Heskey, won the ball but Rooney was nowhere.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:12 pm

Sheff has took Fat Frank's anonymity on the World Cup stage well then.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jun 19, 2010 10:18 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:Sheff has took Fat Frank's anonymity on the World Cup stage well then.

STALKER!
As usual.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:30 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:

One final question you have missed.

What do you know about managing England?

Absolutely nothing, you idiot.

SheffieldSaddler in baby style insult shocker.

Some reasonable questions in his post, which most of the nation are wondering. Still when you predicted we would win 4-0, even I assumed we would have enough shots on target to achieve it. I think the question most people are wondering right now is, what does Cappello know about managing the England team at a major finals? Answers on a post card please.

What a terrible result, 0-0 against a very poor side, that we should have beaten easily. I am so ashamed to be Algerian.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:10 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:Sheff has took Fat Frank's anonymity on the World Cup stage well then.

STALKER!
As usual.

Still waiting to regret, sweetiepie.

9 months and counting Mr I can't back up my own pathetic threats xxx

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:36 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:

STALKER!
As usual.

Still waiting to regret, sweetiepie.

9 months and counting Mr I can't back up my own pathetic threats xxx

:lol: :lol: :lol:
JOKER

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:46 pm

Is there an award for biggest twerp on UTS?

PreviousNext
Return to England Highs & Lows