Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

England v Algeria

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Duke
Site Addict

England v Algeria

Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:02 am

Will Green start , Capello as hinted Barry will start and rumors suggest Defoe will replace Heskey.

Prediction 3-0

latviancheese
Site Addict

Re: England v Algeria

Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:47 am

2-0

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:58 am

England 3-0 Algeria
(Lampard p, Heskey, Crouch)

Rooney to run around, have a pap, get hauled off by Cappello before he gets booked.
Green to be replaced by the bloke out of Elbow, no-one to remark on any discernable difference.
Journalists to suddenly recall he plays for West Ham, so they can get back to tossing off over Peggy Mitchell.

Dynamo Zuffle
UTS Legend

Location: In the white room with black curtains near the station.

Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:20 pm

5-0 and everyone will be raving about our performance. That’s the fickle face of English football for you.

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:31 pm

Duke wrote:Will Green start , Capello as hinted Barry will start and rumors suggest Defoe will replace Heskey.

Prediction 3-0

My biggest worry is that Carragher chap.

I certainly do not dream of a team of Carraghers.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Thu Jun 17, 2010 12:34 pm

saddlersam wrote:
Duke wrote:Will Green start , Capello as hinted Barry will start and rumors suggest Defoe will replace Heskey.

Prediction 3-0

I do, its called a nightmare.

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:00 pm

It has been pointed to out to me that I assumed a majority of London journalists were heterosexual (in a loose sense).
The others can have a choice of a lap dance off Dennis Wise dressed as a Pearly King if they wish.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:10 pm

saddlersam wrote:

Prediction 3-0

Bit harsh in my opinion. I'd rather Ferdinand or King were able to play too, but they can't. He isn't the best in the world, but he's a better player than you are giving him credit for.

England will win, by hook or by crook.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:17 pm

I think the problem is more that he was woeful on Saturday. I would personally pick Upson.

And this isn't because I despise Scousers... For once.

Macca
UTS Veteran

Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:47 pm

3-0 England.

Rooney x2, Lampard

My selection;

Green
Johnson Carragher Terry A Cole
Lennon Barry Lampard J Cole
Gerrard
Rooney

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:50 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:I think the problem is more that he was woeful on Saturday. I would personally pick Upson.

I didn't think he was that bad. I got no problem with Upson playing, I was a bit surprised Caragher was chosen to go to the world cup to be honest, he had played no part for England and then suddenly he is in favour. One of a few strange decisions from Cappello in my opinion. Like Shaun Wright Phillips being put on the plane.

Still, Jamie lad or not, we should still win.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:53 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:I think the problem is more that he was woeful on Saturday. I would personally pick Upson.

I didn't think he was that bad. I got no problem with Upson playing, I was a bit surprised Caragher was chosen to go to the world cup to be honest, he had played no part for England and then suddenly he is in favour. One of a few strange decisions from Cappello in my opinion. Like Shaun Wright Phillips being put on the plane.

I thought he was awful and both Terry and Carragher were massively off of the pace. I don't think he even has the positional sense that could save his lack of pace anymore. He used to be a half-decent defender but seeing as he is in the squad - he should only replace G. Johnson.

Evo Boozy Saddler
Glitterati

Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:53 pm

England 3 Algeria 0.

Saigon to demonstrate how rubbish the ball is, using a shedload of pickled eggs as props.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:59 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:

I thought he was awful and both Terry and Carragher were massively off of the pace. I don't think he even has the positional sense that could save his lack of pace anymore. He used to be a half-decent defender but seeing as he is in the squad - he should only replace G. Johnson.

I don't think he has ever been quite good enough to play for England, which is probably why he hasn't much. I find it an odd time to include him at the last minute. I don't think he should be made a scape goat though, he will give every ounce for England, as he does for Liverpool, if he isn't good enough, then blame Cappello in my opinion.

It really does highlight how bad a blow losing Ferdinand was. Even more so than Sheff confirming it by saying he is a useless player :D

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:17 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:

I don't think he has ever been quite good enough to play for England, which is probably why he hasn't much. I find it an odd time to include him at the last minute. I don't think he should be made a scape goat though, he will give every ounce for England, as he does for Liverpool, if he isn't good enough, then blame Cappello in my opinion.

It really does highlight how bad a blow losing Ferdinand was. Even more so than Sheff confirming it by saying he is a useless player :D

Agree with that bit. I think like them or not Ferdinand and Terry just about worked together because their attributes were opposites and covered for each other's (sometimes huge) faults. Terry cant judge a bounce, Ferdinand had the pace to generally sweep the mess up, Ferdinand is often not strong enough in a tackle in my book which is the one thing Terry will often clean up (ignoring the rugby tackles!).

What worries me is Carragher got done incredibly easily a couple of times on Saturday.

As I've said before, I'm not too worried about Gerrard moving back out to the left to bring Gary Barry back in to the centre of midfield. This will release Rooney and means he doesn't have to worry about dropping quite so deep. There's a strong possibility that we'll end up playing the same line up (except Walcott, i think I'm right here) that we used to tear Croatia apart in their backyard all that time ago. That for me would be my prefered set up anyway. Heskey up top with Rooney.

Gerrard seems to be hitting form, he was brilliant (as hard as it is for me to say that about the bar room brawler) in the first half especially against the US and Algeria shouldn't cause us as many problems between the midfield and defence.

For the record, I'd stick with Rob Green *tin hat on* now that the dust has settled and I've thought about it. If Hart had had more games before hand I'd be more than happy with him between the sticks but i get this uncomfortable feeling with him in goal (this World Cup anyway), i just think he looks very nervous indeed.

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:35 pm

England 2-0 Algeria.

PG Tips to lose his vuvuzela, but walk around all day with a very stiff back.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:02 pm

The good thing is, if Capello picks Barry, it will mean Super Frank will have his normal role again, unlike Saturday when he was covering for Gerrards runs.
You are going to have to stick Gerrard on the left if we play 4-4-2.
I hope Green keeps his place as well.

England 4 Algeria 0.

The press and many negative fans will realise (god help us if they havent already), that there isnt a team in the World Cup better than England.
FACT!

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Fri Jun 18, 2010 3:16 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:The good thing is, if Capello picks Barry, it will mean Super Frank will have his normal role again, unlike Saturday when he was covering for Gerrards runs.
You are going to have to stick Gerrard on the left if we play 4-4-2.
I hope Green keeps his place as well.

England 4 Algeria 0.

The press and many negative fans will realise (god help us if they havent already), that there isnt a team in the World Cup better than England.
FACT!

The simple solution would be to play Gerrard up front (or just behind) Rooney. That's where he is at his best, and if they flooded the midfield it would allow Lampard to join up and get past them too. Cappello doesn't seem to even have thought of it though.

I agree though, I have seen no one that we should be worrying about.

Stu
UTS Legend

Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:26 pm

We aren't going to create 3 decent chances at this rate, let alone score 3 goals...

latviancheese
Site Addict

Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:28 pm

Boring slow, pants football.

Get it wide quickly, Lennon looks our only threat.

Slap Rooney in the face, blokes been useless. Get carragher off and stick my nan in defence.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:44 pm

Get Rooney off, my turds have played better than him.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:56 pm

Abysmal! :|

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:00 pm

latviancheese wrote:Get Rooney off, my turds have played better than him.

Always likely to come up with something though.

I would put crouch on and get some high balls in to him.

tinned
Site Addict

Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:15 pm

Unless the ball lands at Rooney's feet he doesn't give a cack.

Where is Joe Cole, Capello you cock?

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:20 pm

Apart from James, I do not think any of them have done their job sufficiently well tonight.

longdogs
UTS Legend

Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:21 pm

Dire. And so so predictable.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:22 pm

[Philthesaddler mode] "World Cup Contenders" [Philthesaddlermode]

latviancheese
Site Addict

Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:23 pm

Disgraceful, id give James and Barry the only credit in that match.

Boring clueless shite. No tempo.

Rooney should be ashamed how he has played.

Capello looked clueless, why wasn't defoe on earlier? Too scared to take Rooney off.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:27 pm

I hear Rooney had the cheek to have a go at the fans, fudge off you fat lard arse.

longdogs
UTS Legend

Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:27 pm

What did Rooney say to the camera???

Next
Return to England Highs & Lows