Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

England v Algeria

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
swiftyboy
Site Addict

England v Algeria

Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:54 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:
I agree with most of that.

I think the problem is, and always has been the FA. I truly believe that they are more interested in the commercial side of World Football. They only want the "big" names in the squad, so that there is more interest worldwide. They couldn't care less about the football side.

Some questions that need answering are:-

Why did Capello choose Wright-Phillips over Walcot, when Walcot has the pace to change a game?

Why did he not bring an extremely exiting and promising creative player like Adam Johnson?

Why, with Crouches amazing goalscoring record for England, is he sat on the bench?

Why, is Joe Cole on the bench, despite looking more creative as a player than any other pre-World Cup?

Why, did Capello play Milner against USA when he had been out with sickness only days before?

Why, did Capello bring King despite his lack of fitness?

Why, when Joe Hart has looked the most promising performer recently, has he been completely overlooked?

Why did Capello play Hesky with Rooney again when it clearly didn't work in the first game? Yes Hesky won a lot of the ball, but then what? Nothing. Rooney ended up having to drop deep for the ball, leaving nobody up front, and it happened again last night.

All questions that shouldn't even have to be asked, as to me, the situations defy belief. Instead of relying on the older, so called "big names" we should be playing the younger, sharper, more enthusiastic players, like Johnson, Walcot, Hart etc, and building for now, and in the future.

I can see Wednesday becoming the darkest day for English football for years. Beckenbaur was 100% correct in his assumption, that we have gone backwards under Capello, and it makes me very angry

One final question you have missed.

What do you know about managing England?

Absolutely nothing, you idiot.

Sheff, I wish you lived in Walsall.

I would bring you down a peg or two I can tell you.

[post moderated - don't avoid the swear filter]

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Re: England v Algeria

Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:03 am

Ball's to 'em, I'm supporting New Zealand instead.

SHEEP TASTIC!

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:17 am

derbysaddler wrote:Ball's to 'em, I'm supporting New Zealand instead.

SHEEP TASTIC!

Glory hunter. :mrgreen:

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:33 pm

Yes, I'll take the prize on offer for being site tool, thank you.

This side spanked the ass off everyone else in the qualifying group, as did Spain and look at the state of them. If you think Rooney's outburst was unjustified (he cares, eventhough he's a bell end), then you might want to be in the French camp.

People are thinking that England are unique in struggling in this tournament. Despite my Mystic Smeg reputation going down the pan, I'm going to stick with my 4-2 win and that England will top the group although it will only be 5 rather than 7 points. If England start getting some luck and a 2-0 lead, it'll be a different tournament from here in.

The thing that concerned me the most, is that England played well for the USA game and the first part of the Algeria game and had a bit of bad luck. From around 15 minutes into the Algeria game, their frustration led to some appalling efforts and England looked utter losers. At this point it is up to the manager to sort the team out and give them a proper demeanour and tempo. But Cappello did nothing, as he refuses to admit any wrong doing. The team is playing at the mercy of his ego now rather than out of respect of a good manager who scagged the qualifying group.

What Cappello needs to do now, is take some advice off the players. They need to feel they can achieve something if they're going to achieve something. They've got to get that stifling tension out of their system. The introduction of Joe Cole or Crouch could be just the ticket for shaking things up a bit, as could a tinkering with the formation.

I refuse to believe that England have become a bad team overnight, whilst I believe that performance was utterly shameful. This group stage has panned out much like the 1986 group stage. England can get a good win against Slovenia and can go a long way in the tournament still. It just needs some humility coming from the top.

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:48 pm

i hope they rise to the challenge their pay cheks certainly suggest so

but i do think there wil be some that will be kaking themselves at the pressure of really letting the nation down 2 tournaments in a row

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:50 pm

Oh yes indeed.
There are some for whom Wednesday could be their last hurrah.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:44 pm

leics_saddler wrote:Yes, I'll take the prize on offer for being site tool, thank you.

This side spanked the ass off everyone else in the qualifying group, as did Spain and look at the state of them. If you think Rooney's outburst was unjustified (he cares, eventhough he's a bell end), then you might want to be in the French camp.

People are thinking that England are unique in struggling in this tournament. Despite my Mystic Smeg reputation going down the pan, I'm going to stick with my 4-2 win and that England will top the group although it will only be 5 rather than 7 points. If England start getting some luck and a 2-0 lead, it'll be a different tournament from here in.

The thing that concerned me the most, is that England played well for the USA game and the first part of the Algeria game and had a bit of bad luck. From around 15 minutes into the Algeria game, their frustration led to some appalling efforts and England looked utter losers. At this point it is up to the manager to sort the team out and give them a proper demeanour and tempo. But Cappello did nothing, as he refuses to admit any wrong doing. The team is playing at the mercy of his ego now rather than out of respect of a good manager who scagged the qualifying group.

What Cappello needs to do now, is take some advice off the players. They need to feel they can achieve something if they're going to achieve something. They've got to get that stifling tension out of their system. The introduction of Joe Cole or Crouch could be just the ticket for shaking things up a bit, as could a tinkering with the formation.

I refuse to believe that England have become a bad team overnight, whilst I believe that performance was utterly shameful. This group stage has panned out much like the 1986 group stage. England can get a good win against Slovenia and can go a long way in the tournament still. It just needs some humility coming from the top.

Excellent post.
Any decent manager will take into consideration his teams views, as I hope Capello will.

Not so sure about you being the site tool though! :wink:

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:45 pm

swiftyboy wrote:
Sheff, I wish you lived in Walsall.

I would bring you down a peg or two I can tell you.

[post moderated - don't avoid the swear filter]

Calm down
Calm down

You sound like a frustrated England player.

:roll:

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:12 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:....Fat Frank's anonymity on the World Cup stage.

A Scottish friend of mine offered up a good reason for that yesterday.

His theory is that in the Premier League, there's two sorts of England player - the ones that flatter to deceive as they're surrounded by extremely competent foreign players, and those that genuinely lead the way on the pitch, making their teams better than they are. When playing for England, the shortcomings of the first sort of player (the deceiver) are immediately obvious, while the quality of the second (the leaders) is also apparent.

He offered up Lampard as an example of the former, and Gerrard as one of the latter.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:19 pm

Exile wrote:

His theory is that in the Premier League, there's two sorts of England player - the ones that flatter to deceive as they're surrounded by extremely competent foreign players, and those that genuinely lead the way on the pitch, making their teams better than they are. When playing for England, the shortcomings of the first sort of player (the deceiver) are immediately obvious, while the quality of the second (the leaders) is also apparent.

He offered up Lampard as an example of the former, and Gerrard as one of the latter.

Your sweaty friend has a point. I think this also applies to John Terry's rise from decent/alright defender to "world class" at around the same time Roman shoved a shedload of cash into Chelsea.

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:01 pm

Exile wrote:

milner can go in the latter aswell

latviancheese
Site Addict

Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:49 pm

If Milner didnt play for the scum, id say he was the dogs gonads. I really rate him.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:35 am

latviancheese wrote:If Milner didnt play for the scum, id say he was the dogs gonads. I really rate him.

If he keeps playing well at the World Cup, he wont be playing for a mickey mouse club for much longer. Get it ? :wink:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:38 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
latviancheese wrote:If Milner didnt play for the scum, id say he was the dogs gonads. I really rate him.

If he keeps playing well at the World Cup, he wont be playing for a mickey mouse club for much longer. Get it ? :wink:

Hopefully, id be suprised if he stayed at the Villa anyway. Thought Manure, and Liverscum and Chelski were after him?

[post moderated - STOP avoiding the filters]

Previous
Return to England Highs & Lows