Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Spain, Favourites ?

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
PINNACLE
UTS Legend

Spain, Favourites ?

Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:52 pm

They have been easily matched and beaten by a team that nobody gave a cat in hells chance.
Of all the so called favourites, no one has really impressed so far and England (for all their faults) have played a higher FIFA ranking team than anyone else, yet we get all the stick. Not afraid of anyone that we have seen yet.
The Swiss have been fantastic in what they have had to do, The Spanish are very average (for now).

Macca
UTS Veteran

Re: Spain, Favourites ?

Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:58 pm

Spain have the same problem as Barca.........No plan B!

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:02 pm

Fair play to the Swiss they may it very difficult for Spain , great result just what the World cup needed.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:03 pm

Even after this loss they should easily beat both Honduras and Chile.
Just as England should win their remaining games.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:49 pm

SaddlerSteve wrote:Even after this loss they should easily beat both Honduras and Chile.

I wouldn't say easily beat Chile my old shoe.

1 goal behind Brazil in the qualifiers and a very capable team.

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:52 pm

Well done Switzerland.. saying they were matched by the Swiss is a little too far though.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:49 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
SaddlerSteve wrote:Even after this loss they should easily beat both Honduras and Chile.

I agree, they looked quite useful today did Chile, okay the opposition wasn't up to much, but still. As you say they did well in qualifying. Be good if Spain went out, and I wouldn't be that surprised to be honest.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:55 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:

I agree, they looked quite useful today did Chile, okay the opposition wasn't up to much, but still. As you say they did well in qualifying. Be good if Spain went out, and I wouldn't be that surprised to be honest.

Really? before the tournament started they'd have been in my top four, and I suspect many others would have had them there or thereabouts too. One duff result (and losing to Switzerland definitely counts as a duff result for them!) doesn't suddenly make them rubbish.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:59 pm

Exile wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:

Really? before the tournament started they'd have been in my top four, and I suspect many others would have had them there or thereabouts too. One duff result (and losing to Switzerland definitely counts as a duff result for them!) doesn't suddenly make them rubbish.

Of course it doesn't make them rubbish, which is one of the reasons I wouldn't mind them going out (I would quite like England to win it you know :wink: )

Talk about taking a post out of context. They pretty much have to win their last two, and I think Chile will be a tough game that's all I was saying. Plus Euro 2008 apart, they are serial bottlers.

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:24 pm

PINNACLE wrote:Of all the so called favourites, no one has really impressed so far and England (for all their faults) have played a higher FIFA ranking team than anyone else, yet we get all the stick. Not afraid of anyone that we have seen yet.

I agree. Said to a bloke at work today that this WC is anyone's. He said "Yeah I agree, except England". I can't understand it at all. Okay we were far from good but there is no one I've seen yet that we can't beat (not saying we will, but we're no better or worse than most).

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:27 pm

Couldn't agree more. Briliant qualifying campaign and a few very handy players. Matías Fernández and Alexis Sánchez in particular are brilliant with the former in particular one of the potential players of the tournament.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:03 pm

Victims of trying to play the fancy way. Torres was wayyyyyy off the pace too.

Thought the Swiss were superb at playing to strengths, should of won 2-0 with a bit of luck, that Derdiyok looks a good player.

Makes the group very interesting, but not sure if Swiss will play that well again, but they have a manager with calibre.

Return to England Highs & Lows