Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Ex Saddler at The World Cup

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Exile
Jobsworth

Re: Ex Saddler at The World Cup

Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:52 pm

Duke wrote:
Exile wrote:
Duke wrote:Exile will be well chuffed ,NZ's first ever point in the world cup finals .

Great stuff

It was great (in a supporter sort of way, I'm well aware the standard of football on offer would not grace the World Cup Final itself!). I see everyone's mentioned Paston's pair of flaps and a horrible miskick as proof that he's rubbish, but that's conveniently forgetting his very accurate grabbing of some dangerous crosses, and a couple of good saves to keep the All Whites in the match till they could muster up enough play to equalise in the 93rd minute. :D

another great results for the all whites today as left the Italians in trouble.

Yes, the terrible Mark Paston (descrined as Robert Paston by the clueless journo in the Telegraph!) resonsible for letting in the penalty equaliser. I bet they wish they'd chosen someone else. :wink:

Wonder what the Italian press / fans are saying about this result?

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:22 pm

Still be peed of if he had let any of em in. Still, he saved em, thats all that matters i suppose.

sirraygraydon
UTS Veteran

Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:22 am

bangsection wrote:
SaddlerSteve wrote:Did Charlie appear for Cameroon in 1990 or was he just warming the bench?

He missed out through injury, I think. Didn't he make his mark that season as a studio pundit with the BBC or ITV, shortly before joining us?

Yes I believe so, think they got him in as the only Cameroonian playing in England who wasn't in the squad!

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:25 am

sirraygraydon wrote:
bangsection wrote:
SaddlerSteve wrote:Did Charlie appear for Cameroon in 1990 or was he just warming the bench?

He missed out through injury, I think. Didn't he make his mark that season as a studio pundit with the BBC or ITV, shortly before joining us?

Yes I believe so, think they got him in as the only Cameroonian playing in England who wasn't in the squad!

Yup, shortly before we put in a cheeky bid for Roger Milla. :D

bangsection
Site Addict

Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:57 am

Paston is named today in the Sunday Telegraph's "Team of the Tournament" (no, really). A wilfully eccentric choice perhaps, but another answer to a future Walsall FC quiz question.

Full line up: Paston, Lahm, Piqué, Puyol, Fucile, Xavi, Schweinsteiger, Iniesta, Sneijder, Villa, Forlan. (4-2-3-1)

King Monkey
UTS Veteran

Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:29 pm

I don't think Casillas will be too bothered about not making The Sunday Telegraph's team of the tournament.

Fair play to Paston, he did his nation proud.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:09 pm

bangsection wrote:Paston is named today in the Sunday Telegraph's "Team of the Tournament" (no, really). A wilfully eccentric choice perhaps, but another answer to a future Walsall FC quiz question.

Which player did Walsall fans lambast and write off after just a couple of games before he went onto representing his country in the World Cup and being voted in one newspaper's team of the tournament?

Previous
Return to England Highs & Lows