Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Vuvuzela

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Vuvuzela

Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:33 am

Bloody annoying aint it!?

Already 100,000 people on this facebook group :

http://www.facebook.com/pages/FIFA-BAN- ... rch&v=wall

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Re: Vuvuzela

Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:34 am

I personally like them! :D

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:46 am

Better than the drivel served up by our fans pre unity and horns availible from sainsburys for £2.

Should be in the reduction bin in time for the new season.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:21 pm

110,000 members on that FB group now!

Winston Smith
UTS Regular

Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:52 pm

It is not just UTS who moan.

Dutch viewers complain about World Cup vuvuzelas
June 12th, 2010 - 17:08 UTC
by Andy Sennitt.

Dutch public broadcaster NOS has received a large number of complaints from viewers about the sound of the vuvuzelas at World Cup matches in South Africa. Apparently many viewers don’t like the sound, which to some people sounds like a constant droning, and want the level turned down. But director Jan de Jong told the Dutch newspaper Algemeen Dagblad that the broadcaster has done its best to find a satisfactory balance between the commentary and crowd noise, and points out that the sound is being heard around the world.

Football website elfvoetbal.nl suggests that Dutch viewers who find the sound distracting should switch to Belgium’s Flemish public broadcaster VRT, which is available via cable all over the Netherlands, as its commentators use a different type of microphone that reduces the background noise from the crowd.

Also, please note not my english :-

Here some more Info from the Dutch website translate by Google

Vuvuzela's possible banned in stadiums

(AP) - Danny Jordaan, president of the World Cup in South Africa, does not preclude vuvuzela be banned in stadiums. The bells are a lot of noise and provide much irritation in the stands, field and viewers. The President has therefore prepared the bells from the stadium ban. "If you really need it we do it," he told BBC.

"We said that if countries are angry, we take immediate action. We try to control." The long horns sounding, even through the national anthems before. This gives the players much irritation. "We have asked if they vuvuzela programs and communications during national anthems aside to explain. It is difficult but we do our best," says Jordan.

Several players have already expressed their displeasure over the deafening buzzing sound. The vuvuzela can produce over 130 decibels and even a flu epidemic by removing the many germs that are released. Patrice Evra said France was unable to sleep by the horns. "We can not sleep because people are starting to six hours in the morning with the blowing of the horn. On the field, we can not even understand each other," he says.

130Db equals Jumbo Jet, look here: h**p://www.sfu.ca/sonic-studio/handbook/Decibel.html

And a footnote

Apparently Rob Green forgot to mention that the damn vuvuzela put him off against the USA

But there again Cinderella got to the ball. :D

King Monkey
UTS Veteran

Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:50 am

I quite like the Zuluvulvas :shock:

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:41 pm

I dont like them anymore..
No chanting, just silly horns.
Had a funny joke recieved on my mobile today..
£2 a month to a hungry African & what do they do? Buy a f***ing trumpet! :D

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:53 pm

The facebook group has not got over 200,000 members!

bangsection
Site Addict

Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:57 pm

The constant droning of people moaning about the vuvuzelas is much more annoying than the instruments themselves.

It's also a brilliant bit of post-colonial arrogance.

Like it or not, this is how people watch football in South Africa. Get over it!

Imagine the reaction if foreign fans watching World Cup '66 had demanded that all the English people in flat caps twirling rattles be banned because it was spoiling their enjoyment of the game!

Cully
Site Addict

Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:25 pm

I'm not sure that the fact that 200,000 people, who incidently are obviously all 'friends' on that bastion of public communication, opinion and 'like - getting things done', have been moved to take time out during their busy day to press a button which could lead eventually to a strongly worded e mail sent to Joseph S. Blatter is evidence to me that vuvuzelas should be banned.

I quite like their soothing tone and the atmosphere they create in the stadiums and around the country, I like the fact that they drown out the painfully embarrassing Ingerland Bands boring renditions of 2 tunes and more importantly they are an expression of the excitement of the South Africans at being able to stage such a high profile tournament.

I agree with bangsection, the moaning is more irritating and desperately tedious.

I await latest poll figures from Phil as we approach the mind boggling 'face book gold level' of 250,000 'likes'.

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:55 pm

Two mates who are over in SA following the All Whites don't have a problem with them at all, so from the safety of distance I can happily state they don't bother me that much. Totally different atmosphere to watching in the Western culture, and not worse because of that.

Can we order 100 for the Banks's's's next season?

bangsection
Site Addict

Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:09 pm

Apparently they're "selling like hot cakes in the UK" according to reports. Not sure whether I believe that or not but we may get a chance to see whether we actually like sitting next to someone with a 130 decibel trumpet sooner than we think.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:19 pm

It would be hilarious if someone got one into the Bonks's just to see all the boring old farts faces.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:30 am

bangsection wrote:The constant droning of people moaning about the vuvuzelas is much more annoying than the instruments themselves.

It's also a brilliant bit of post-colonial arrogance.

Like it or not, this is how people watch football in South Africa. Get over it!

Imagine the reaction if foreign fans watching World Cup '66 had demanded that all the English people in flat caps twirling rattles be banned because it was spoiling their enjoyment of the game!

I completely agree. Post-colonial whinging at its worst.

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Jun 16, 2010 9:07 am

I've only just realised the vuvuzela isn't the clinical term for a lady garden.

PGtips

Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:00 am

There is no chance of a vuvuzela ban in South Africa. I doubt very much you will get them into games in the UK where umbrella's, plastic bottle tops and even flags of cyprus so I am informed are now banned.

I have watched football here for three years and the vuvuzela is always present. Sure its annoying to start with and it does create a very different type of match day atmosphere but you accept it as part of the culture. This is the world cup - respect the SA football culture even if it is based on a cheap plastic trumpet. Embrace it even - they are great fun to own and blow.

Incidently the sound in the grounds is totally different to the sound on TV. Somehow the TV microphones are picking up a different tone to the live games. You hear a more random noise rather then the contstant drone on the TV feed. You can hear the national anthems and you can talk to the guys around you. The cheering for a goal or disputed ref decision is also clear.

Jockey
UTS Legend

Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:08 am

Would they allow them into the Bonks's or would it constitute a ban for not being official merchandise?? Cus I was thinking of selling some Unity ones :mrgreen:

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:17 am

Jockey wrote:Would they allow them into the Bonks's or would it constitute a ban for not being official merchandise?? Cus I was thinking of selling some Unity ones :mrgreen:

Zippy will be distributing Reality ones, free of charge.

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:21 pm

I'm not calling for them to be banned but I think it is taking something away from the WC in that it's usually interesting to witness the different kind of atmospheres the various nations create. This WC it's just one standard atmosphere (i.e. a thousand bees buzzing in your TV).

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:17 pm

tinned wrote:I'm not calling for them to be banned but I think it is taking something away from the WC in that it's usually interesting to witness the different kind of atmospheres the various nations create. This WC it's just one standard atmosphere (i.e. a thousand bees buzzing in your TV).

To be fair its not a normal world cup in that sense, the turnout from overseas fans is poor this time for many reasons including the price.

Im actually enojoying them now, in the knowledge that it really irritates some people :lol:

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:29 pm

I am profiteering from them on ebay :mrgreen:

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:30 pm

latviancheese wrote:
tinned wrote:I'm not calling for them to be banned but I think it is taking something away from the WC in that it's usually interesting to witness the different kind of atmospheres the various nations create. This WC it's just one standard atmosphere (i.e. a thousand bees buzzing in your TV).

To be fair its not a normal world cup in that sense, the turnout from overseas fans is poor this time for many reasons including the price.

Im actually enojoying them now, in the knowledge that it really irritates some people :lol:

Not England, absolutely superb following again as usual.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:50 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
latviancheese wrote:

Not England, absolutely superb following again as usual.

Yep i agree, but a lot lot less than if it had been somwhere else i feel.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:51 pm

Might be a good thing its expensive to get there though, keeps the morons away.

bangsection
Site Addict

Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:43 pm

PGtips wrote:This is the world cup - respect the SA football culture even if it is based on a cheap plastic trumpet. Embrace it even - they are great fun to own and blow.

I have been owning and blowing my own trumpet for years now and although some people found it irritating at first, it is now an accepted part of the bangsection experience.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:59 pm

Bothered by Jaapie horns? Anyone who has an expensive TV/audio set up can reduce their vuvuzela experience by turning the 300hz band on their graphic equalizer down to 0. Hey presto! Mere background noise.

Return to England Highs & Lows