Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Whats going on with all the yellow and red cards?

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Whats going on with all the yellow and red cards?

Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:43 pm

Bloody FIFA meddling with the rules! It's only Sunday night and already 4 red cards!

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Re: Whats going on with all the yellow and red cards?

Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:45 pm

philthesaddler wrote:Bloody FIFA meddling with the rules! It's only Sunday night and already 4 red cards!

After seeing Cahill get a straight red I was just about to start a thread.
And another Australian has just got a yellow for nothing whilst I type!

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:49 pm

Ref's in English football are far more lenient than in other countries. I agree though, Cahill was unfortunate.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:57 pm

chestersaddler wrote:Ref's in English football are far more lenient than in other countries. I agree though, Cahill was unfortunate.

They are more lenient, but this is just ridiculous. Every game I've watched so far has been spoilt by silly refereeing decisions.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:26 pm

The Algerian who came on as a sub earlier and then got booked twice in 15 mins. Having already received the first yellow he was a complete plank deliberately handballing for his second.
However the first card was given for a nothing shirt pull.
Ridiculous.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:43 pm

The algerian player was THICK, so was the Serbian who got sent off for handball, THICK footballers who dont engage their brains. If you have already been booked you dont blatently handball.

I think the actual refereeing has been good, but the bookings not.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:41 pm

latviancheese wrote:The Algerian player was THICK, so was the Serbian who got sent off for handball - THICK footballers who don't engage their brains. If you have already been booked you don't blatantly handball.

I think the actual refereeing has been good, but the bookings not.

Agreed - the general standard of refereeing, so far, has been good but cautions are administered a little too freely. People have paid a lot of money to see most of the world's best footballers in action on a world stage, not suspended for relatively trivial reasons. FIFA puts a lot of unnecessary pressure on its referees.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:30 am

The referees have been excellent. I'd kill for refs as consistent and spot on as these have been in League 1 every week.

Anyone criticising any of the sending offs doesn't understand either the rules or football in general. Cahill's tackle could have easily broken a leg and was way after the ball had gone, and was from behind. He's always been a thick dirty Aussie. Goodbye convict. As for the Algeria player, he has the intelligence of a kid taught in a school under the last Labour government.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:22 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:The referees have been excellent. I'd kill for refs as consistent and spot on as these have been in League 1 every week.

Anyone criticising any of the sending offs doesn't understand either the rules or football in general. Cahill's tackle could have easily broken a leg and was way after the ball had gone, and was from behind. He's always been a thick dirty Aussie. Goodbye convict. As for the Algeria player, he has the intelligence of a kid taught in a school under the last Labour government.

Broken legs are part of football. If you can't take a broken leg, you shouldn't play football, you should take up knitting or baking cakes.

Think that is just as controversial, but with some truth in it :wink: :wink:

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:01 am

I'm sure all that lenient refereeing will stop when England or Italy are in possession.*

*or any other country Sepp Blatter doesn't like.

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:29 am

Well, its something to add to these games where both sides are scared to go for it.

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:40 am

philthesaddler wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:Ref's in English football are far more lenient than in other countries. I agree though, Cahill was unfortunate.

They are more lenient, but this is just ridiculous. Every game I've watched so far has been spoilt by silly refereeing decisions.

id lay the blame at the players for a) simulation
b) deliberate hand ball
c) blatent late tackles
d) ignoring the refs advice

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:31 pm

I was going to start a thread saying how impressed i was with the officials in the early stages , particularly the ref who booked the German for diving .

long may it continue

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:35 pm

Duke wrote:I was going to start a thread saying how impressed i was with the officials in the early stages , particularly the ref who booked the German for diving .

long may it continue

Agreed, dont understand why people are slating the officials, i thought they've done well!

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:34 pm

If Cahill's tackle deserved a red (it didn't) There were two tackles in the Dutch game that definitely did.
At least no one has given out 3 yellow cards to the same player yet , so I guess it's a decent start.

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:47 pm

SaddlerSteve wrote:The Algerian who came on as a sub earlier and then got booked twice in 15 mins. Having already received the first yellow he was a complete plank deliberately handballing for his second.
However the first card was given for a nothing shirt pull.
Ridiculous.

i know every players first reaction when someone beats them is to give a lil shirt pull and it happens at all levels of the game

but by law its a yellow card

Return to England Highs & Lows