Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Most annoying pundit/commentator

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
latviancheese
Site Addict

Re: Most annoying pundit/commentator

Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:48 pm

They should get more football and stop wasting taxpayers money on the snooze fest that is F1.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:00 am

moaning saddler wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:
4143 wrote:I'd like to go against the grain and say I can cut the ITV presenters some slack against their whimpy, whiny, gravy-train riding, do-gooding counterparts at the BBC. The whole BBC football coverage team is dislikeable in my opinion.

I have to agree to be honest. I used to prefer BBC, but this world cup I have much preferred the games on ITV, adverts apart. BBC hasn't been as good anyway, since Barry Davies stopped commentating.

Anyway, Chiles, Southgate, Coleman and co, have been more pleasurable than Hansen, Shearer etc etc. Andy Townsend is still NO though.

On a slight tangent, I wonder how much the BBC have paid for the rights to cover the tournament?

Given that ITV are providing free to air coverage, maybe the BBC should usE taxpayers' money on something else :idea:

Chester,
If you are taking a cheap shot, at least try to make it coherent.

Apologies for missing a letter out of a word. I was typing in a dark room having just watched the game last night :)
Last edited by chestersaddler on Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:09 am

BathSaddler wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:
4143 wrote:I'd like to go against the grain and say I can cut the ITV presenters some slack against their whimpy, whiny, gravy-train riding, do-gooding counterparts at the BBC. The whole BBC football coverage team is dislikeable in my opinion.

I have to agree to be honest. I used to prefer BBC, but this world cup I have much preferred the games on ITV, adverts apart. BBC hasn't been as good anyway, since Barry Davies stopped commentating.

Anyway, Chiles, Southgate, Coleman and co, have been more pleasurable than Hansen, Shearer etc etc. Andy Townsend is still NO though.

On a slight tangent, I wonder how much the BBC have paid for the rights to cover the tournament?

Given that ITV are providing free to air coverage, maybe the BBC should us taxpayers' money on something else :idea:

What a surprise, an ideological dig at the BBC from chester. Pity the last sentence did not make any sense, but then rightwing rantings rarely do.

Sorry Bath, I will explain it in easy to understand language just for you.

The BBC has a finite budget. Many people complain that the BBC chase the ratings rather than offer the broad range of programmes / interests as defined in their charter.

So, if the World Cup is being shown by ITV, a "free to air" channel, then why spend all that money covering the same tournament, when the money could be used to make other programmes.

It was an observation, not an ideological rant, btw. There are far more important things to rant about than the BBC, currently, such as the way New Labour have almost bankrupt the country :wink:

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:40 am

I'm surprised and disappointed that no one has yet named the most annoying, facile and ignorant "pundit" ever to pollute the air waves. I shudder at two words: alien invasion? Nah. Wolverhampton Wanderers? Nope. Big Brother? Niet.

Jim. Beglin.

Be afraid. Very afraid.

And very annoyed. He is the reason I do not keep anything sledgehammer-like within easy reach of the radio.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:34 am

Andy fudge Townsend.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:25 pm

Beglin's on tonight. Wooooo. :-(

Glitterati

Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:33 pm

Andy Townsend is the most annoying by far :twisted:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:43 pm

The Thief is irritating when he is "commentating"

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:44 am

When did criticism of the BBC become 'right-wing'?

Forgive me if I've missed something.

motty
UTS Legend

Sun Jun 20, 2010 2:42 am

I know he is not commentating on the world cup but please let me assure you the worst commentator is steve claridge what a clueless prat that man truly is he couldnt find his arse with both hands.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:40 am

4143 wrote:When did criticism of the BBC become 'right-wing'?

Since Murdoch backed the Tories. Are you blind to his hatred of Auntie, as it's the last bastion of "independence" between him and his sort of media?

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:16 am

Exile wrote:

Since Murdoch backed the Tories. Are you blind to his hatred of Auntie, as it's the last bastion of "independence" between him and his sort of media?

When I made the initial observation, there was no political agenda on my part (see my reply to Bath). I was quite surprised at Bath's thought process which seemed to be something like Chester = Tory = anti left wing BBC = political statement.

Why should Murdoch's view of the BBC mean that any criticism of it by others is "right wing,"

It is the same kind of mantra that purports anyone who is concerned about immigration issues is "racist", or anyone who believes that the country needs to balance it's books supports making all of the nurses and teachers redundant.

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:05 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
Exile wrote:

When I made the initial observation, there was no political agenda on my part (see my reply to Bath). I was quite surprised at Bath's thought process which seemed to be something like Chester = Tory = anti left wing BBC = political statement.

Why should Murdoch's view of the BBC mean that any criticism of it by others is "right wing,"

It is the same kind of mantra that purports anyone who is concerned about immigration issues is "racist", or anyone who believes that the country needs to balance it's books supports making all of the nurses and teachers redundant.

There's the rub, political dogma is blind to reason and presents itself with a one eyed view on all matters. After next Tuesdays statement from George Osborne we can expect the usual tears from those that voted in and thus supported the last regimes bizarre, indisciplined and irresponsible approach to 'money matters'. No doubt it will all be the fault of the Tories who left the country in such a perilous financial state in 1997 :roll:

ps Let's not forget those that base their political views on whether they think someone looks smug.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:34 pm

Cully wrote:There's the rub, political dogma is blind to reason and presents itself with a one eyed view on all matters.

Very true - and I assume that you include Sheff and your good self in that description? :mrgreen:

Horozontal Harry
Glitterati

Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:25 am

latviancheese wrote:Aslong as there is no Garth Crooks. I dont mind.

I am afraid that footballs answer to John Prescott did make an appearance last week. I thought that the "token black" role had been filled by Adebayor, but clearly not. Maybe because it's in South Africa the Beeb have had to increase the quota :wink:

Fortunately I have only seen him once, but it does beg the question of how many staff the Beeb have out there, and whether they are all necessary. In addition to all the guys on camera at the matches there are these other roving reporters like Crooks, Logan and Co, as well as all the reporters and analysts from BBC News and 5Live. There was even a reporter asking questions at a press conference from the BBC's kid's channel!

As far as I am concerned ITV can send as many out there as they want, but it's us who are paying for these Beeb guys. Accepted he was on ITV but we know Robbie Earle was on £150k a year for his efforts. I dread to think how much this shindig has cost the licence payer.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:07 am

Booby Gould on Talksport last week....This Nigerian Goalkeeper is absolutly unbeatable, apart from the goal" :mrgreen:

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:35 am

Cheesebag wrote:Booby Gould on Talksport last week....This Nigerian Goalkeeper is absolutly unbeatable, apart from the goal" :mrgreen:

That is certain to be in the next Private Eye World Cup Colemanballs. :D

Horozontal Harry
Glitterati

Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:53 pm

Cheesebag wrote:Booby Gould on Talksport last week....This Nigerian Goalkeeper is absolutly unbeatable, apart from the goal" :mrgreen:

I had forgotten about Bobby Gould. He is so inarticulate and uneducated that he makes Garth Crooks sound like Stephen Fry.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:24 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
Exile wrote:

Call me old fashioned, chester, but I prefer my football coverage without constant corporate endorsements getting in the way. As a national broadcaster it is well within the remit of the BBC to ensure as full coverage as possible. To suggest somehow that the BBC should not be there in order to save money is something I find hard to agree with for that reason.

Besides, overall, they are better at it. A bit earnest at times, to be sure, but most people I know, irrespective of their political views prefer the BBC when it comes to 'event television'.

The issues of immigration and the up-and-coming budget are issues for another day, and another thread.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:44 pm

Who is the long faced bint on BBC One?

She reports on how 'exciting' and 'amazing' the spectacle and games are with all the gusto of someone eating an uncooked haddock.

Totally inappropriate and completely out of her depth.

GO AWAY YOU STUPID, BORING WOMAN. :|

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:47 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:Who is the long faced bint on BBC One?

She reports on how 'exciting' and 'amazing' the spectacle and games are with all the gusto of someone eating an uncooked haddock.

Are you on about the sports woman that appears on the 6 & 10 news.
Think her names Sally Nugent? To be fair though there seems to be a dearth of women sports presenters going on about how "fantastic" and "great" football is in general.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:00 pm

The entire BBC commentry team in the Argentina v Greece for making low key close to desperate and failing to see that resolute defending, when up against one of the red-hot favourites, is still part of the game. Especially coming from a culture responsible for the hoplite, the phalanx and Thermopylae.

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:02 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:The entire BBC commentry team in the Argentina v Greece for making low key close to desperate and failing to see that resolute defending, when up against one of the red-hot favourites, is still part of the game. Especially coming from a culture responsible for the hoplite, the phalanx and Thermopylae.

They had oracles when we were still in coracles!

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:15 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:Who is the long faced bint on BBC One?

Strange looking thing, but not as odd as the transexual sports reader who appears on the Saturday night news.

McSaddler

Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:51 am

Not sure if he's annoying as I had the sound down but the Driller is giving the Aussie viewing public his views on the likes of Spain v Chile.

Previous
Return to England Highs & Lows