Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Emile Heskey - Hey, what do we know?

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
chestersaddler
Site Addict

Emile Heskey - Hey, what do we know?

Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:22 pm

So, once again, Emile Heskey gets the nod to start in a big game for England. Tonight, he wins his 58th cap. Not bad for a so called donkey, who is generally ridiculed by fans as an International footballer.

Moreover, he has now been playing for England since 1999, having being picked by Hoddle, Wilkinson, Keegan, Taylor, Erickson, McLaren and Capello.

Thoughts?

Cully
Site Addict

Re: Emile Heskey - Hey, what do we know?

Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:24 pm

Man of the match performance and some people should just stick to speedway or soccer.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:26 pm

Superb game from the big man. He doesn't score, but adds so much to the play. Best England player on the pitch.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:30 pm

Someone needs to explain the offside rule to him.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:35 pm

Well, he was miles better than Rooney.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:00 pm

Cully wrote:Man of the match performance and some people should just stick to speedway or soccer.

I agree.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:12 am

SaddlerSteve wrote:Someone needs to explain the offside rule to him.

Indeed , I was one who questioned his inclusion to the 23 , he proved me wrong last night superb performance .

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:34 pm

Yesterday was one of his better performances but I dont rate him at all.
Scoring isnt his game but just think what might of been if it was/if it was Defoe on instead when the donkey had the one on one chance..

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:58 am

SaddlerSteve wrote:Someone needs to explain the offside rule to him.

Agreed although i think replays showed at least one of his runs to have been very well timed and the offside given against him was wrong.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:31 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:
Cully wrote:Man of the match performance and some people should just stick to speedway or soccer.

I agree.

I don't actually, Gerrard was man of the match by miles. Heskey linked up well for sure, but he got caught offside constantly for no reason at all, when he was looking straight down the line. He missed a sitter that a league 2 striker would have buried with his eyes closed. He did okay, but I don't think Cappello has him penciled in for the whole tournament anyway. Crouch causes just as many problems for defenders, and scores far more goals.

Still, Speedway is fun too.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:09 pm

There's not another striker in the England squad that would have played that ball to Gerrard for the opening goal. Heskey won my man of the match award by some distance.

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:10 pm

PJD wrote:There's not another striker in the England squad that would have played that ball to Gerrard for the opening goal. Heskey won my man of the match award by some distance.

There's not another striker in the England squad that would have missed the one on one..

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:20 pm

PJD wrote:There's not another striker in the England squad that would have played that ball to Gerrard for the opening goal. Heskey won my man of the match award by some distance.

Was a great ball, and good play all round. Heskey did well , no one can deny that, I don't expect him to start every game though.
Who starts up front is far less important that where Steven Gerrard is allowed to play in my opinion.

aaaae
Site Addict

Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:14 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:

Was a great ball, and good play all round. Heskey did well , no one can deny that, I don't expect him to start every game though.
Who starts up front is far less important that where Steven Gerrard is allowed to play in my opinion.

As Hamlet would say "that is THE question" :D

aaaae
Site Addict

Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:39 pm

DanWalsallFC wrote:

There's not another striker in the England squad that would have missed the one on one..

Quite apart from the fact that his movement off the defenders created the chance in the first place, his shot was hit on target and with power -which other England striker managed the same? Rooney? Crouch?

You're not judging his performance on it's merits.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:56 pm

PJD wrote:his shot was hit on target and with power ......

.....and straight at the keeper.

Overall i think Heskeys performance was better than usual.

brummie saddler
Site Addict

Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:45 pm

SaddlerSteve wrote:
PJD wrote:his shot was hit on target and with power ......

.....and straight at the keeper.

Overall i think Heskeys performance was better than usual.

agreed people have gone on about we just need to give rooney service and there it was he started off very well wanting to win everything

as for his one on one he kept it down hit it hard and hoped anyone who is suprised he didnt side foot it passed the keeper is crazy he doesnt have that ability

what he was on there to do he done simple

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:31 pm

Crouch has a good scoring record against lesser teams.. He should start the two mickey mouse games left in the group, but I do not see him having the class against top defenders to cause problems.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:11 pm

chestersaddler wrote:Crouch has a good scoring record against lesser teams.. He should start the two mickey mouse games left in the group, but I do not see him having the class against top defenders to cause problems.

There is some truth in the fact he scores goals against the lesser teams, but if you think about who we have played in recent times, he hasn't had the chance to score against any great opposition. He has scored against Croatia, and they are probably the best team we have played for some time.

He does cause top defenders problems just by the shear awkwardness of him. Whether he scores or not is another matter, but hopefully Rooney can stick the ball in the net a few times.

I also don't see the last two games as Mickey Mouse games, this is England after all, if they take their eye off the ball, they could fail to qualify altogether as it stands.

Return to England Highs & Lows