Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

England v U S A

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
latviancheese
Site Addict

Re: England v U S A

Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:12 pm

We were never in danger of losing the game. Not with Altidore upfront who cant hit a barndoor.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:00 pm

Have to say that performance was fairly good. We created plenty of chances but didn't finish them.
We should beat Algeria and USA should beat Slovenia.

The only concern I have is that USA will be facing Algeria in the final game who will have bugger all to play for.
We'll be playing Slovenia who will still be able to qualify if they beat us, a draw will probably be enough for us.
We should beat Slovenia but I think circumstances may put a lot of pressure on the team. We've already picked up injuries and yellow cards which could lead to suspensions if more are picked up against Algeria. I can see a weakened side folding under the pressure of a last game. If we're drawing I can see us retreating to protect the draw and then conceding an unexpected goal.

That said 2 positive performances with 2-3 goals scored per game should give us confidence going into the knockouts. Really need that top spot to make our route a bit easier.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:01 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
chestersaddler wrote:
Sheffield Saddler in wrong forecast shocker :lol: :lol: :lol: Not happened for more than a week.

Just like 11 other posters.
Would you like me to list them, or have you got the brain to look?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

As the old adage goes, even a broken clock is right twice a day

But you are wrong all of the time :lol: :lol:

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:44 pm

*WARNING*

Laughing smilie alert.

I can't help but think that the excessive use of said smilies somewhat undermines ones point :idea:

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:04 pm

First time Ive managed to get online since the match last night these are my thoughts:

Heskey had a good game

Rooney had a crap game and really needs to step up to the plate. He's World Class for Man U, but he really needs to start putting similar performances in at International level.

Green should be dropped. Personally, I'd have gone with James. DJ hasnt made many gaffes lately, he's a solid keeper, more solid than green.

Terry had a poor game.

Delivery from the wings need to improve.

all in all, 6/10, much improvement is needed.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:24 pm

Was always going to be the toughest game in the group, and we coasted it, one blunder changed the game, it shell shocked the whole team. Pretty sure we would have gone on to beat them other than that. A draw is okay, we should win our last two games, and we wouldn't be England if we didn't make it interesting.

Gerrard pipped Heskey for man of the match in my opinion, the bloke was everywhere, few sloppy passes here and there, but that is the Gerrard we need for the rest of the tournament if we are to have any chance. Unfortunately he will more than likely be taken out of his favoured position when Barry is fit, to accommodate the anonymous Lampard, who seemed to enjoy backing out of 50/50 tackles.

Shaun Wright Phillips should never ever, ever be allowed near an England shirt ever again, he has the touch of a rapist, his second touch is always a tackle.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

England v U S A

Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:56 pm

Agree with much of that. Got to be room for Joe Cole to make us a bit less obvious against fit and organised defences.

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:12 pm

Cully wrote:*WARNING*

Laughing smilie alert.

I can't help but think that the excessive use of said smilies somewhat undermines ones point :idea:

I thought you were a bit sharper than that, Cully :wink:

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:38 am

Blazing_Saddler wrote:Was always going to be the toughest game in the group, and we coasted it, one blunder changed the game, it shell shocked the whole team. Pretty sure we would have gone on to beat them other than that. A draw is okay, we should win our last two games, and we wouldn't be England if we didn't make it interesting.

Gerrard pipped Heskey for man of the match in my opinion, the bloke was everywhere, few sloppy passes here and there, but that is the Gerrard we need for the rest of the tournament if we are to have any chance. Unfortunately he will more than likely be taken out of his favoured position when Barry is fit, to accommodate the anonymous Lampard, who seemed to enjoy backing out of 50/50 tackles.

Shaun Wright Phillips should never ever, ever be allowed near an England shirt ever again, he has the touch of a rapist, his second touch is always a tackle.

Agree with the majority of your post there, although I wont lose sleep moving Gerrard. I think, as long as he can cut inside it'll be fine and wil still score - I get the feeling he's hitting a bit of form now. We'll be going back to the sort of formation we played in the qualifying games where we moved everything in front of us aside. Lampard, Gerrard and because of that Rooney will all get their space and chances.

No need to panic at all. We'll go through, top of the group on 7 points.

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:55 am

Well I'm glad everyone is starting to accept the power of my suggestion.

Just to expand on my prediction and put everyone's mind at rest:

England 3-0 Algeria (Lampard p, Heskey, Crouch)
Rooney to run around, have a pap, get hauled off by Cappello before he gets booked.
Green to be replaced by the bloke out of Elbow, no-one to remark on any discernable difference.
Journalists to suddenly recall he plays for West Ham, so they can get back to tossing off over Peggy Mitchell.

England 4-1 Slovenia (Rooney 3, Defoe; Koren)
Rooney to destroy Slovenia on his own. Darren Bent and a big beard seen painting the lines on the Banks's's's car park.

kevin
UTS Legend

Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:29 pm

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:09 am

Cully wrote:*WARNING*

Laughing smilie alert.

There has to be a point :?:

Previous
Return to England Highs & Lows