Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

England v U S A

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
bangsection
Site Addict

Re: England v U S A

Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:53 pm

I will never get bored of making easy money betting against In-ger-lund. 11-2 about a team six places below England in the FIFA rankings was value enough. But 19/20 on the Yanks with a goal start? Filled my boots.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:06 pm

Rooney sewn up well by USA players.

Potential banana skin avoided.

With a bit more luck that would have been 7-2 to us.

Happy with that.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:07 pm

In a rare moment of lucidity, I realise that England have NO chance of winning the world cup, back to dreamland: maybe we have a chance. :roll:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:08 pm

Exile wrote:Rooney sewn up well by USA players.

Potential banana skin avoided.

With a bit more luck that would have been 7-2 to us.

Happy with that.

Really?

Are you happy with the long, hopeful balls that were played to no-one in particular?

Dross.

Cully
Site Addict

Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:10 pm

Excellent performance from Heskey followed closely by Gerrard. Don't care who the opposition is, none of the defenders will fancy facing Heskey after tonights showing but can he keep it up.

The worst thing about tonight was undoubtedly the performance of ITV, terrible coverage, pointless interviews, meaningless drivel from the panel and what's with the obsession with slow motion? Awful direction, adverts upto 1 second of the start of the match, absolutely dreadful tv :twisted: I hate ITV :evil: :evil: :evil:

As for the US whey hey, rubbish team only eclipsed by their fans who when interviewed couldn't name more than 2 players if that.

I'm not too down hearted with the result, ok we should have beaten them but too many balls were played behind or over the strikers heads. Bit worried by Jamie Carraghers slug like pace and of course Green is going to suffer the usual microscopic analysis for the next 6 months. Most people I know were unhappy with both James and Greens inclusion and would happily settle for Joe Hart despite his lack of experience but what do we know.

Roll on Algeria, it's tough being an England fan.

swiftyboy
Site Addict

England v U S A

Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:14 pm

Absolute crud. We were brilliant for the first 20 mins, and then what? We do the usual. Sit back. Invite the opposition to put us under cack loads of pressure. Keep inviting the pressure until they score. Then let them control the rest of the game and make us look average. Thanks England. Years, months, weeks, and days of excitement running up to this World Cup, and then what? Weeks of dissapointment as usual.

Fantastic

PINNACLE
UTS Legend

Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:17 pm

bangsection wrote:I will never get bored of making easy money betting against In-ger-lund. 11-2 about a team six places below England in the FIFA rankings was value enough. But 19/20 on the Yanks with a goal start? Filled my boots.

Show us the betting slip with the time and date you placed it................holding my breath, starting from now :roll:
Its a scan, copy and paste job. Easy if you have got it................or have you ?

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:02 am

Cully wrote:Excellent performance from Heskey followed closely by Gerrard. Don't care who the opposition is, none of the defenders will fancy facing Heskey after tonights showing but can he keep it up.

The worst thing about tonight was undoubtedly the performance of ITV, terrible coverage, pointless interviews, meaningless drivel from the panel and what's with the obsession with slow motion? Awful direction, adverts upto 1 second of the start of the match, absolutely dreadful tv :twisted: I hate ITV :evil: :evil: :evil:

As for the US whey hey, rubbish team only eclipsed by their fans who when interviewed couldn't name more than 2 players if that.

I'm not too down hearted with the result, ok we should have beaten them but too many balls were played behind or over the strikers heads. Bit worried by Jamie Carraghers slug like pace and of course Green is going to suffer the usual microscopic analysis for the next 6 months. Most people I know were unhappy with both James and Greens inclusion and would happily settle for Joe Hart despite his lack of experience but what do we know.

Roll on Algeria, it's tough being an England fan.

Agree with you.

To be fair - I think I am correct in saying everyone has the same TV images (i.e. the crap slow-mo's will also be on BBC as it is the local directors/producers who decide what is shown) - I think? I agree about the rubbish ITV coverage though - mind you, what are the beed doing with Adebayour - cannot understand a word he says!

Rich Evans
UTS Legend

Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:47 am

After sobering up I see green was very lucky not to concede the second goal with that wonder save the commentator was on about. :roll: It should have gone out for a corner rather than going off the top of the palm on to the post. Hopefully one nightmare game.

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:39 am

Whitti Steve wrote:To be fair - I think I am correct in saying everyone has the same TV images (i.e. the crud slow-mo's will also be on BBC as it is the local directors/producers who decide what is shown) - I think? I agree about the rubbish ITV coverage though

That is very depressing if true :x

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:46 am

Cully wrote:
Whitti Steve wrote:To be fair - I think I am correct in saying everyone has the same TV images (i.e. the crud slow-mo's will also be on BBC as it is the local directors/producers who decide what is shown) - I think? I agree about the rubbish ITV coverage though

That is very depressing if true :x

Can you see 30+ countries taking out their own cameras etc? I think you will find it is the same images for all... enjoy the slow-mo's :mrgreen:

saddla
Site Addict

Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:48 am

cannot believe all the negativity about the result in the papers this morning. OK Green had a jimmy moment, but for the rest of the game did nothing wrong.
where is all the blame for heskey shooting straight at the keeper when we had a one on one?
where is the blame for rooney getting under the header?
where is the blame for wright phillips when he was through and gave an easy save to the keeper?

we should have won 4-1

I think we should stick with Green, much better keeper than James and Capello won't go with Hart as he doesn't have enough experience.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:56 am

swiftyboy wrote:Absolute crud. We were brilliant for the first 20 mins, and then what? We do the usual. Sit back. Invite the opposition to put us under guano loads of pressure. Keep inviting the pressure until they score. Then let them control the rest of the game and make us look average. Thanks England. Years, months, weeks, and days of excitement running up to this World Cup, and then what? Weeks of dissapointment as usual.

Fantastic

What utter nonsense. Brilliant for the first 20 minutes? That was the only time USA put us under any sustained pressure. At no point in the game did we do anything even remotely like sitting back. Capello has based his whole style on a pressing game that pushes the defence high up the field while the midfielders close down the opposition at the first opportunity. USA didn't control the game after they scored, quite the reverse. We created numerous chances in the second half despite being two or three gears below top pace. USA are one of the better organised sides in the tournament - certainly look a better side than France on first showing. Would people be getting this annoyed if we'd drawn with France in the first game?

matt-thesaddler
UTS Legend

Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:58 am

Rooney got under the header? If your on about the one I think your on about (back post unmarked) then he jumped as high as he could and couldnt stretch any more. How its his fult that the cross was to high I dont know. He cant score or have a decent effort on goal of a crap cross.

Green, terrible. Nearly handed them a 2nd goal but apparently it was a brilliant save. I dont see how.

Sheff, you said we are all negative, looked at that post, your as negative as the rest of us

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:03 am

saddla wrote:cannot believe all the negativity about the result in the papers this morning. OK Green had a jimmy moment, but for the rest of the game did nothing wrong.
where is all the blame for heskey shooting straight at the keeper when we had a one on one?
where is the blame for rooney getting under the header?
where is the blame for wright phillips when he was through and gave an easy save to the keeper?

we should have won 4-1

I think we should stick with Green, much better keeper than James and Capello won't go with Hart as he doesn't have enough experience.

The sports writers are only interested in knee jerk reaction, very few write with any sense of proportion. We all have a moan at the players when we're at the match but most people don't bore their friends with endless analysis for weeks on end with what ifs, should have, etc . That's the job of the papers or people with [to quote saddler ken] 'very small brains'.

I have no idea what Capello will do with his team selection but I have more confidence in him than the idiots that write for the papers or make stupid comments about what the players should have done.

Get over it, at least we didn't lose :D

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:17 am

I thought for about 70 minutes of that game we had it quite well sewn up... Would've been 90 if Green hadn't had his moment.

I'm also quietly smug to all of the people who think Ferdinand being out was "no big thing." I was suitably reassured in my assumption that a Terry/Carra partnership would be "slower than Stephen Hawking trying to start his chair in 5th."

Men of the Match...

USELESS Gerrard and USELESS Heskey. It's just a shame that our "impact" player replaces Heskey and that Gerrard will be the one who has to move out wide to accomodate Barry. Overshadowed Lampard by a mile.

We play like that against Algeria and Slovenia - We'll be fine. I'm not worried because Fabio isn't worried.

bangsection
Site Addict

Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:20 am

PINNACLE wrote:
Show us the betting slip with the time and date you placed it................holding my breath, starting from now :roll:
Its a scan, copy and paste job. Easy if you have got it................or have you ?

Can you confirm whether you are the same "Pinnacle" who regularly pops up on UTS, at around the time the pubs kick out, to abuse other posters?

If you are, then there is no more point to this dialogue than there would be if I chose to converse with the chap who sits outside my local Morrisons drinking white cider and claiming to be "the real Prince Phillip".

Naturally, if anyone else is interested in seeing documentary evidence of a bet placed by myself yesterday (which I sincerely doubt) then don't hesitate to get in touch!

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:49 am

bangsection wrote:
PINNACLE wrote:

Can you confirm whether you are the same "Pinnacle" who regularly pops up on UTS, at around the time the pubs kick out, to abuse other posters?

If you are, then there is no more point to this dialogue than there would be if I chose to converse with the chap who sits outside my local Morrisons drinking white cider and claiming to be "the real Prince Phillip".

Naturally, if anyone else is interested in seeing documentary evidence of a bet placed by myself yesterday (which I sincerely doubt) then don't hesitate to get in touch!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

11:17 was the time of PINNACLE'S post - I bet you would not have got 19/20 on him being sober when he wrote it :D

Anyroad, what's a betting slip these days. Generally only OAP's, Wino's and the long term unemployed frequent betting shops don't they. Us refined punters bet on line :wink:

BTW. I pinched £20 buying the corners at 10.5 and closing in running at 12.5, with not a betting slip in sight.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:01 am

Good to keep everyone's feet firmly on the ground

Game 1 v most difficult group game, banana skin avoided as far as Im concerned, EVEN if we had lost, I wouldnt have been too worried

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:09 am

As it happens, the old adage that it's better to start slowly is not necessarily true. Every previous World Cup winner has won their opening game bar two: us in 66 and Italy in 82. That said, Italy played USA in the group stages last time out - final score? 1-1. I'm not sure what all that means except that I should get out more.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:09 am

Firstly, before the game I said I would "settle for a draw" in this one. Secondly, I cannot believe the overeaction of the press - this was "on paper" the trickiest game, and we didn't lose it... in fact, we only drew because of one silly howler.

We don't have a devine right to win every game!

Also... I feel ever so slightly sorry for Robert Green this morning... that said, he shouldn't have been playing - and should be dropped as there is no room for sentiment at a tournament.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:17 am

There is no need to panic. The performance was much better than it has been in recent tournaments [certainly, most of Germany 2006] and we would have won if we had taken at least one of our chances and Green had not committed his horrendous error.

Gerrard shaded it for me as MoM, but there were decent performances from Johnson, Lennon and Heskey [despite his miss]. Lampard continues to go missing in big International matches so no surprises there.

We should certainly get the remaining points that we need from Algeria and Slovenia to qualify, and after that, who knows?

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:18 am

BathSaddler wrote:There is no need to panic. The performance was much better than it has been in recent tournaments [certainly, most of Germany 2006] and we would have won if we had taken at least one of our chances and Green had not committed his horrendous error.

Gerrard shaded it for me as MoM, but there were decent performances from Johnson, Lennon and Heskey [despite his miss]. Lampard continues to go missing in big International matches so no surprises there.

We should certainly get the remaining points that we need from Algeria and Slovenia to qualify, and after that, who knows?

Bloody hell, that is my opinion to the letter.

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:07 am

Have to eat humble pie and say Heskey was superb last night , Gerrard showed exactly why he's captain brilliant also impressed with Johnson .
A game we should have and would have won had it not been for the Green blunder a draw is by no means a disaster .

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jun 13, 2010 10:33 am

chestersaddler wrote:
Sheffield Saddler in wrong forecast shocker :lol: :lol: :lol: Not happened for more than a week.

Just like 11 other posters.
Would you like me to list them, or have you got the brain to look?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

ciscokid
UTS Legend

Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:46 am

Duke wrote:Have to eat humble pie and say Heskey was superb last night , Gerrard showed exactly why he's captain brilliant also impressed with Johnson .
A game we should have and would have won had it not been for the Green blunder a draw is by no means a disaster .

Totally agree with your post Dave.

deanonev69
Glitterati

Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:30 pm

When team was announced i text my mate and commented on how should be Crouch instead of Heskey and that Green "is always capable of a clanger". Well i was right on one of those two things as thought Heskey was immense as were Gerrard and Johnson.

Thank God i was in a heaving pub and couldn't hear ITV as they are always appalling with football coverage.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:49 pm

moanin old git wrote:
Registered Saddler wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:Absolute crud. We were brilliant for the first 20 mins, and then what? We do the usual. Sit back. Invite the opposition to put us under guano loads of pressure. Keep inviting the pressure until they score. Then let them control the rest of the game and make us look average. Thanks England. Years, months, weeks, and days of excitement running up to this World Cup, and then what? Weeks of dissapointment as usual.

Fantastic

What utter nonsense. Brilliant for the first 20 minutes? That was the only time USA put us under any sustained pressure. At no point in the game did we do anything even remotely like sitting back. Capello has based his whole style on a pressing game that pushes the defence high up the field while the midfielders close down the opposition at the first opportunity. USA didn't control the game after they scored, quite the reverse. We created numerous chances in the second half despite being two or three gears below top pace. USA are one of the better organised sides in the tournament - certainly look a better side than France on first showing. Would people be getting this annoyed if we'd drawn with France in the first game?

Registered, have you borrowed MMF's Rose tinted glassses? I was more depressed after watching that dross than I am watching our lot lose again. Two or three gears below pace? we were in reverse! And why all this praise for Heskey?
My nan could have scored from that one on one...and she's dead! I'll stick with my predictions..we'll beat Algeria 2-0
but Slovenia will be in the next round after they beat us 1-0.

Pants.

Reverse?
Heskey was very good - the one and only thing he did wrong was not score - at least it was a solid shot on target.
We will beat Algeria
We will not lose to Slovenia (have you seen them - cack)
My problem lies with what we have to do beyond that. On that showing, not a lot, but you are way off the mark.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:32 pm

Just get everyone to shoot at Algerias goalie, terrible.

Slovenia were worse but managed to win.

swiftyboy
Site Addict

England v U S A

Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:07 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:

Fantastic

What's nonsense about it?

Do you honestly think that an International team, playing in The World Cup should be playing in anything less than "top gear"?

We sat back and invited them on to the extent that we were lucky not to LOSE the game!

I think you were watching a different game RS

PreviousNext
Return to England Highs & Lows