Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Negative attitude

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Re: Negative attitude

Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:33 am

Back on thread, I agree that the negativity towards England is foolish. When we undoubtedly draw 1-1 with the USA, the press reaction will be hysterical, completely forgetting that USA are ranked 11th in the world. It's always better to start slowly and pick up.

England have had a really good qualifying campaign (27/30), only Spain have a better record. Despite being pedestrian/rubbish/other adjective of choice, they've tonked most of the teams in the group by 3,4 or 5 goals.

Make no mistake, no-one will be relishing the prospect of facing England even with Beckham, Owen, Hargreaves and Ferdinand absent. That's about the only thing that's giving the opposition much hope at the moment. We still have a number of world class players, known all over the world. In Capello we appear to have a superb manager who understands such complicated issues as tempo, demeanour (lost on Sven) and squad rotation.

I think this is our best chance since 1970 and we're capable of winning it. If we ever play on top form, we will crush any opposition in front of us - and that includes Argentina, Brazil, Spain or Italy. We've got goals galore in this team and the guile, skill and pace to take teams apart - just ask Croatia (9th in the world)

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:29 am

leics_saddler wrote:Back on thread, I agree that the negativity towards England is foolish. When we undoubtedly draw 1-1 with the USA, the press reaction will be hysterical, completely forgetting that USA are ranked 11th in the world. It's always better to start slowly and pick up.

England have had a really good qualifying campaign (27/30), only Spain have a better record. Despite being pedestrian/rubbish/other adjective of choice, they've tonked most of the teams in the group by 3,4 or 5 goals.

Make no mistake, no-one will be relishing the prospect of facing England even with Beckham, Owen, Hargreaves and Ferdinand absent. That's about the only thing that's giving the opposition much hope at the moment. We still have a number of world class players, known all over the world. In Capello we appear to have a superb manager who understands such complicated issues as tempo, demeanour (lost on Sven) and squad rotation.

I think this is our best chance since 1970 and we're capable of winning it. If we ever play on top form, we will crush any opposition in front of us - and that includes Argentina, Brazil, Spain or Italy. We've got goals galore in this team and the guile, skill and pace to take teams apart - just ask Croatia (9th in the world)

I am glad I read that, it has really made me feel good! I agree about the USA game, it was always going to be a tricky one. We wont lose though, and that will be enough to see us through I would think.

Evo Boozy Saddler
Glitterati

Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:12 pm

leics_saddler wrote:Back on thread, I agree that the negativity towards England is foolish. When we undoubtedly draw 1-1 with the USA, the press reaction will be hysterical, completely forgetting that USA are ranked 11th in the world. It's always better to start slowly and pick up.

Top post. Can't add anything to it, but it gave me a big boost too :D . Good work fella

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:11 am

Top post.

TimWilkes
Glitterati

Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:53 pm

Am I now alowed to be negtive? We are not great, are we?

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:05 pm

TimWilkes wrote:Am I now alowed to be negtive?

Only if your high horse has longer legs than PINNACLE's.

TimWilkes
Glitterati

Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:10 pm

so, am |I now allowed to be negative:? We are pretty shite, yes?

bangsection
Site Addict

Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:35 pm

I don't think we should confuse negativity with realism. England are an average to good side whose technical deficiencies will be exposed as soon as they meet a team who can hold on to the ball and dictate the pace of the game.

Did you know that England have only ever beaten a previous World Cup winner ONCE at a World Cup? It's an amazing statistic but one that tells you everything you need to know about why we don't reach major finals. Odds are we'll face Serbia or Germany in the second round. Pantelic and Klose will be licking their lips at the thought of facing new first choice centre half Jamie Carragher.

PINNACLE
UTS Legend

Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:58 pm

TimWilkes wrote:Am I now alowed to be negtive? We are not great, are we?

You would be if you could spell it, I see Exile has put his normal claptrap on here as well.
Oooooh lets all slag them off, arseholes :wink:
Hail to the all seeing presence that some of you think you are, Exile ? exactly, just stay where you are and dont bore us with your self importance. Save it for Brummie Saddler and the rest of the halfwits that can't spell or put a coherent sentence together.
Surely its not just me that has noticed it :lol:

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Jun 13, 2010 7:36 am

PINNACLE wrote:
TimWilkes wrote:Am I now alowed to be negtive? We are not great, are we?

You would be if you could spell it, I see Exile has put his normal claptrap on here as well.
Oooooh lets all slag them off, pratts :wink:
Hail to the all seeing presence that some of you think you are, Exile ? exactly, just stay where you are and dont bore us with your self importance. Save it for Brummie Saddler and the rest of the halfwits that can't spell or put a coherent sentence together.

For your information 'hail' is a form of solid precipitation which consists of balls or irregular lumps of ice due to certain climatic conditions. You may wish to edit your post and use 'Hallelujah' which might fit the context of your post.

By the way, I don't agree with your post, in my opinion it's rubbish but at least you are consistant. Your posts always remind me of Danny la Rue, they are best read when imagining said ex female impersonator in drag mode. If you are of that particular group then it is purely coincidence that I should have made the connection.

Good look with your future career or posts.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:19 am

bangsection wrote:Did you know that England have only ever beaten a previous World Cup winner ONCE at a World Cup? It's an amazing statistic but one that tells you everything you need to know about why we don't reach major finals.

Twice actually. Argentina 2002, Germany 1966. Another stat is to look at our manner of exit from major finals. In 62, 86, 90 and 02 we were knocked out by the champions. In 06 and 98 we lost on penalties. That leaves 82 (when we went out without losing a match because of the odd format of that tournament) and 70 (we'll concede that one to Brazil). It sort of shows that we are consistently one of the best sides without actually being the best. Unlike France or Spain, who go from one extreme to the other, we're normally somewhere between the 2nd and 8th best team at the tournament. Doesn't make us terrible, always gives us a chance, doesn't make us the best either.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:21 am

We are a top 10 side that can usually get to the last 8. It's about right... We've just not had anybody to make us better than the sum of our parts.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:50 am

Cully wrote:
PINNACLE wrote:
TimWilkes wrote:Am I now allowed to be negative? We are not great, are we?

Hail to the all seeing presence that some of you think you are, Exile ? exactly, just stay where you are and don't bore us with your self importance. Save it for Brummie Saddler and the rest of the halfwits that can't spell or put a coherent sentence together.

For your information 'hail' is a form of solid precipitation which consists of balls or irregular lumps of ice due to certain climatic conditions. You may wish to edit your post and use 'Hallelujah' which might fit the context of your post.

[pedantic mode]'Hail' is indeed a form of solidified precipitation, as you say. However, it is also a form of salutation or greeting (as correctly used by Pinnacle) - as in "Hail, Mary!" or "Hail fellow, well met". It can also mean to 'come from', as in "Cully hails from Rugeley". I understand that it is also an archaic word which used to be used by the primitive sweaties, North of the border, to indicate scoring a goal. :D [/pedantic mode]

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:00 am

Pedagogue wrote:
Cully wrote:
PINNACLE wrote:
TimWilkes wrote:Am I now allowed to be negative? We are not great, are we?

Hail to the all seeing presence that some of you think you are, Exile ? exactly, just stay where you are and don't bore us with your self importance. Save it for Brummie Saddler and the rest of the halfwits that can't spell or put a coherent sentence together.

[pedantic mode]'Hail' is indeed a form of solidified precipitation, as you say. However, it is also a form of salutation or greeting (as correctly used by Pinnacle) - as in "Hail, Mary!" or "Hail fellow, well met". It can also mean to 'come from', as in "Cully hails from Rugeley". I understand that it is also an archaic word which used to be used by the primitive sweaties, North of the border, to indicate scoring a goal. :D [/pedantic mode]

Thank you very much for that Pedders, it just shows not only my ignorance but also the very poor education I received for 5 years at one of the new fangled comprehensives created in 1966 by the Labour government to lower standards of education by mixing up children of different abilities and making them all attend gardening lessons. A terrible school although some might quite rightly state that I was a terrible pupil. Many apologies to Pinnacle for my 'school boy' error, if I could blame someone else I already have done so :oops:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:34 am

Registered Saddler wrote:
bangsection wrote:Did you know that England have only ever beaten a previous World Cup winner ONCE at a World Cup? It's an amazing statistic but one that tells you everything you need to know about why we don't reach major finals.

Twice actually. Argentina 2002, Germany 1966. Another stat is to look at our manner of exit from major finals. In 62, 86, 90 and 02 we were knocked out by the champions. In 06 and 98 we lost on penalties. That leaves 82 (when we went out without losing a match because of the odd format of that tournament) and 70 (we'll concede that one to Brazil). It sort of shows that we are consistently one of the best sides without actually being the best. Unlike France or Spain, who go from one extreme to the other, we're normally somewhere between the 2nd and 8th best team at the tournament. Doesn't make us terrible, always gives us a chance, doesn't make us the best either.

I thought the ubermenche* knocked us out in 1970, 3-2 and all that.

* This might be spelled/spelt** incorrectly, I'm sure Pedders or Cully will be along soon to correctitise*** any error.

** This is an odd verb where both of these forms are acceptable. I'm sure Pedders/Cully will be along soon to agree.

***This is word I have just made up, I am aware of its status, but enjoy keeping Pedders/Cully on their toes. :wink:

bangsection
Site Addict

Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:42 am

Registered Saddler wrote:Another stat is to look at our manner of exit from major finals. In 62, 86, 90 and 02 we were knocked out by the champions. In 06 and 98 we lost on penalties.

That's one way to spin it. Another is to say that in the World Cup, we almost always lose to the first decent side we come up against. Where are the second round wins against Italy or the quarter final victories against Brazil? Almost all of our knock out wins are against teams like Paraguay, Cameroon and Belgium. We beat Argentina and West Germany in 66 thanks to a controversial sending off and a goal that may or may not have crossed the line but apart from that we have a pretty poor World Cup record against the first division of world football - penalty defeats included.

Nevertheless, I can't help feeling that we are using different routes to arrive at the same conclusion. Historically, England have been a reasonably safe bet to reach the last eight of the World Cup because they are consistently about the 7th or 8th best side in the world. No reason to think this tournament won't follow that pattern, although personally I think we might struggle to make it past the first knockout stage.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:42 pm

bangsection wrote:Nevertheless, I can't help feeling that we are using different routes to arrive at the same conclusion. Historically, England have been a reasonably safe bet to reach the last eight of the World Cup because they are consistently about the 7th or 8th best side in the world. No reason to think this tournament won't follow that pattern, although personally I think we might struggle to make it past the first knockout stage.

Part of me is inclined to agree, but I'll wait to see just how good Serbia/Ghana are first.
bangsection wrote:We beat ... West Germany in 66 thanks to a ... goal that may or may not have crossed the line

Don't talk German, that's what they always say. They also forget that their equaliser in the last minute was MORE controversial, coming from a ridiculous free-kick. Prompting Alf Ramsey's famous team talk before extra time: "Boys, you've won it once. Now go out there and win it again."

bangsection
Site Addict

Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:36 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:Don't talk German, that's what they always say. They also forget that their equaliser in the last minute was MORE controversial, coming from a ridiculous free-kick. Prompting Alf Ramsey's famous team talk before extra time: "Boys, you've won it once. Now go out there and win it again."

Yes, I'd forgotten that The Most Controversial Goal of All Time was overshadowed by, erm, a disputed free kick. Really Reg, you're pushing it with that one!

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:31 pm

bangsection wrote:
Registered Saddler wrote:Don't talk German, that's what they always say. They also forget that their equaliser in the last minute was MORE controversial, coming from a ridiculous free-kick. Prompting Alf Ramsey's famous team talk before extra time: "Boys, you've won it once. Now go out there and win it again."

Yes, I'd forgotten that The Most Controversial Goal of All Time was overshadowed by, erm, a disputed free kick. Really Reg, you're pushing it with that one!

The point being that neither goal should have counted, we should have won 2-1. You can cap up non proper nouns all you like, but the decision to allow Germany's goal was just as wrong as the decision to allow ours.

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:41 pm

bangsection wrote:

Don't know anybody who thought it was controversial although I accept that Jermans and bitter Jocks will hang onto any tenuous thread because it makes them feel better.

As for 'The Most Controversial Goal of All Time'; what video compilation did that appear on and did it star that fat cockerney Danny 'verbal vomit' Baker?

bangsection
Site Addict

Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:27 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:The point being that neither goal should have counted, we should have won 2-1. You can cap up non proper nouns all you like, but the decision to allow Germany's goal was just as wrong as the decision to allow ours.

Mmm, but you didn't say that the decision to allow Germany's goal was "just as wrong" did you? You said that it was "MORE controversial". Controversy can actually be measured in column inches and the amount of discussion it generates post-event. Now, which rerereeing decision in that game was more controversial using those criteria? I capped it up because I genuinely believe it is the most controversial decision of all time. What beats it? Note: clear miscarriages of justice like the "Hand of God" don't count - no controversy about the decision here, it was just wrong.

Cully - Danny Baker changed the landscape of football broadcasting with the original 606. His position in the pantheon is assured - whatever you think of his style. Personally, I think he's a genius.

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:46 pm

Not disagreeing with Bakers input and the changes he led but what I am refering to is his sickening blatant cockeyism, his constant interupting and his belief that only he has experienced 'real football'. Like a lot of broadcasters, many disappear up their own backsides followed by armies of sycophant groupies. It doesn't help his cause that he formed a holy trinity with Gazza and Chris Evans, I assume, to foster some sort of insiders guide to twerp that he talked about relentlessly on his subsequent programmes ad nauseum.

bangsection
Site Addict

Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:00 pm

Cully, that's a very funny post. Do you mind if I borrow the phrase "an insider's guide to twerp" as the title of my autobiography?

Cully
Site Addict

Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:03 pm

bangsection wrote:Cully, that's a very funny post. Do you mind if I borrow the phrase "an insider's guide to twerp" as the title of my autobiography?

Not a problem, am I in it?

kevin
UTS Legend

Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:53 pm

Registered Saddler wrote: They also forget that their equaliser in the last minute was MORE controversial, coming from a ridiculous free-kick.

The lino can also be seen flagging when Weber netted !

Previous
Return to England Highs & Lows