Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

World Cup Song

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
latviancheese
Site Addict

World Cup Song

Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:16 pm

Did anyone see it earlier? :lol:

I love Dizzee Rascal, anything the dude touches is gold.

Well if he can make Tears For Fears sound good then he must be a genius.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Re: World Cup Song

Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:52 am

"Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough." Great to see the latest tacit approval of mob mentality and the 'joke' that is laddish football violence again being embraced in song.

Latest 'effort' of an England song = artistically poor + lyrically lazy + morally suspect.

Don't mean to be an old woman about it, but I just think we've had all this before, in spades, with the 'vindaloo'-style anthems. I personally think there's more to supporting England in its national sport than lager and G-Star trainers, and I think there's more to England supporters than Tim Lovejoy and Danny Dyer wannabees.

Football is about so much more. Just ask the ad boys at Nike. Creative, witty, thought-provoking ads, with great messages and images - everything this tired, formulaic, Cowell-driven crud isn't. A massively missed opportunity.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:05 am

King Crimson wrote:"Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough." Great to see the latest tacit approval of mob mentality and the 'joke' that is laddish football violence again being embraced in song.

Latest 'effort' of an England song = artistically poor + lyrically lazy + morally suspect.

Don't mean to be an old woman about it, but I just think we've had all this before, in spades, with the 'vindaloo'-style anthems. I personally think there's more to supporting England in its national sport than lager and G-Star trainers, and I think there's more to England supporters than Tim Lovejoy and Danny Dyer wannabees.

Football is about so much more. Just ask the ad boys at Nike. Creative, witty, thought-provoking ads, with great messages and images - everything this tired, formulaic, Cowell-driven crud isn't. A massively missed opportunity.

Hear! Hear!

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:35 am

Pedagogue wrote:
King Crimson wrote:"Come and have a go if you think you're hard enough." Great to see the latest tacit approval of mob mentality and the 'joke' that is laddish football violence again being embraced in song.

Hear! Hear!

Couldn't agree more

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sun Jun 06, 2010 9:23 am

It was fudge dire and a stain on other football songs... The John Barnes' Rap is seriously spinning in its grave after this summer.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:39 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
Pedagogue wrote:

Hear! Hear!

Couldn't agree more

I concur. Have heard it. It was cack. Bilgewater. Drivel. Shallow. Meaningless. In fact, it described English football to a 'T', so maybe it was spot on after all. :wink:

Even New Zealand have a better effort. Stand up and be counted...

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:52 am

Your all making it sound like World Cup songs are brilliant. News flash they are all terrible.

Stop being old farts. :mrgreen:

Could be worse, it could of been N Dubz.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:05 am

latviancheese wrote:Your all making it sound like World Cup songs are brilliant. News flash they are all terrible.

That would have been worse.

Newsflash - the ones chosen are all terrible. I repeat, 1990's very average world cup song for England would have been brilliant if the judges had chosen the right song:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTsG5qZyNp0[/youtube]

Still, at least we're not Scottish... :D

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:02 pm

Spot on KC as ever

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sun Jun 06, 2010 12:22 pm

Exile wrote:
latviancheese wrote:Your all making it sound like World Cup songs are brilliant. News flash they are all terrible.

That would have been worse.

Newsflash - the ones chosen are all terrible. I repeat, 1990's very average world cup song for England would have been brilliant if the judges had chosen the right song:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTsG5qZyNp0[/youtube]

Still, at least we're not Scottish... :D

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Great song... Never knock World In Motion though, it truly is brilliant.

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:52 pm

Comparing the Nike & Carlsberg adverts (as brilliant as they both are) to a world cup song is unfair. For a start the aforementioned, particularly Nike, have essentially an endless budget to incorporate both images and sounds into an advertisement.

A song that's too deep simply won't catch on - incorporating universally good music with lyrics that mean something is what seperates ordinary artists from music legends, so that's just not going to happen for a novelty world cup song.

It might be lowest common denominator, but that's all it's ever going to be.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

World Cup Song

Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:14 pm

4143 wrote:Comparing the Nike & Carlsberg adverts (as brilliant as they both are) to a world cup song is unfair. For a start the aforementioned, particularly Nike, have essentially an endless budget to incorporate both images and sounds into an advertisement.

A song that's too deep simply won't catch on - incorporating universally good music with lyrics that mean something is what seperates ordinary artists from music legends, so that's just not going to happen for a novelty world cup song.

It might be lowest common denominator, but that's all it's ever going to be.

The only reason for the comparison is to show that football is culturally rich: far beyond the laddish casuals as portrayed by the lazy media. For a start, and this may come as a surprise given the unadulterated stereotyping, but some over 30s, and even some girls, will be supporting England. Where "3 Lions" was a hit was in that it tuned into the nation's psyche. I.e: "we're not claiming to be the best, but we believe."

This effort is a lazy return to the triumphalism of "Bringing it home" and "This time", with a hint of a violent sub-culture thrown in for good measure. No need.

walsallforprem
UTS Regular

Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:56 pm

All you lot do is moan, the song is catchy and with the additon of James Corden is fun . From what I've heard from many people, it's got plenty of people looking forward to the World Cup more. You can knock the N-Dubz and the Dizzies etc but they sell records for fun and are earning huge ammounts of money. You may think that its touching on hooliganism but I think it's mocking the violence that goes on, the tone of how its sung is not aggressive. It's a bit of fun that get people excited for the commencing World Cup, its not meant to be anything in-depth, thought provoking etc. Just get into the World Cup Spirit!

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

World Cup Song

Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:20 pm

walsallforprem wrote:All you lot do is moan, the song is catchy and with the additon of James Corden is fun . From what I've heard from many people, it's got plenty of people looking forward to the World Cup more. You can knock the N-Dubz and the Dizzies etc but they sell records for fun and are earning huge ammounts of money. You may think that its touching on hooliganism but I think it's mocking the violence that goes on, the tone of how its sung is not aggressive. It's a bit of fun that get people excited for the commencing World Cup, its not meant to be anything in-depth, thought provoking etc. Just get into the World Cup Spirit!

Fine. Enjoy. But if you honestly believe (a) that's as good an effort as we could hope for (b) that it captured the imagination of similar songs in the past (and on that note, I'd like to hear whether you honestly can imagine 90000 at Wembley singing that in the way they sang "3 Lions" and (c) that a massed throng of 20-something males in England shirts and face paint chanting "come and have a go if you think you're hard enough" is the image we wish to project onto our supporters as they visit a dangerous country with fans from numerous other nations, then great. I happen to think it's uninspiring, lazy and a hugely missed opportunity to do something different and original which genuinely could bring fans together. Ah well.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:02 pm

Let's be honest - the addition of James Corden makes it even worse.

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:02 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:Let's be honest - the addition of James Corden makes it even worse.

I agree... stick to taking the mick out of fotty players and the Welsh... much better at that. I like Dizzee - but this is poor. I also agree with KC and the others with the use of the "come and have a go" thing... its just playing into the "thought" that England = thugs. I had hoped we were getting away from that "tag". I am not saying it will make a difference to thugs etc bu being in a song... but it is the "acceptance" of it that annoys me. Three Lions new version (same as old versions) is still better, as it the JB rap!

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:42 pm

There's a dirge of unofficial DIY England songs doing the rounds on Youtube at the moment.
Most seem to be Cockney twangers though.

I quite liked the We Are England by 3 Brians which uses the D.I.S.C.O. tune. :mrgreen:

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:25 am

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:Let's be honest - the addition of James Corden makes it even worse.

Agreed. The unfunny lard arse that he is.

Football songs are generally embarrasing.

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:33 am

walsallforprem wrote:All you lot do is moan, the song is catchy and with the additon of James Corden is fun . From what I've heard from many people, it's got plenty of people looking forward to the World Cup more. You can knock the N-Dubz and the Dizzies etc but they sell records for fun and are earning huge ammounts of money. You may think that its touching on hooliganism but I think it's mocking the violence that goes on, the tone of how its sung is not aggressive. It's a bit of fun that get people excited for the commencing World Cup, its not meant to be anything in-depth, thought provoking etc. Just get into the World Cup Spirit!

Yes we can knock N-Dubz, economy value bean tin of the music world, if you listen to that, then i'm worried.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:33 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5wj6PU4lx8[/youtube]

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:35 am

King Crimson wrote:Don't mean to be an old woman about it, but I just think we've had all this before, in spades, with the 'vindaloo'-style anthems. I personally think there's more to supporting England in its national sport than lager and G-Star trainers, and I think there's more to England supporters than Tim Lovejoy and Danny Dyer wannabees.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:10 am

derbysaddler wrote:
King Crimson wrote:Don't mean to be an old woman about it, but I just think we've had all this before, in spades, with the 'vindaloo'-style anthems. I personally think there's more to supporting England in its national sport than lager and G-Star trainers, and I think there's more to England supporters than Tim Lovejoy and Danny Dyer wannabees.

:lol:

Evo Boozy Saddler
Glitterati

Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:18 pm

Have heard this song twice now, and whilst I'm no Dizzee Rascal fan, he could have made something much much better. I heard that he wrote it in 30 minutes. I love the irony that a song with the lyric "come and have a go if you think your hard enough" is raising funds for a hospital :lol:

I'm going to listen to World In Motion when I get home 8)

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:23 pm

ITT: wet blankets. :mrgreen:

Zippy
Glitterati

Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:26 pm

Did anyone see Bob Hope, no not that one, the one off Emmerdale, on This Morning.

He was doing his England song with his band White Van Men.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:26 pm

This thread would make more sense if it was the official england world cup song...but it isn't.

Frazy85

Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:46 am

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpIT8a6ky1E[/youtube]

Best England song that hardly anyone knows.

Frazy85

Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:48 am

Oh, and Dizzee Rascal is an embarrassment to the entire nation. Other countries will be laughing at us.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:49 pm

Frazy85 wrote:Oh, and Dizzee Rascal is an embarrassment to the entire nation. Other countries will be laughing at us.

Is it cause he is a wapper?

They wont be laughing, have you not seen any European pop music?

Return to England Highs & Lows