Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Ferdinand out

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Ferdinand out

Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:26 pm

I've always been impressed by Joe Cole when he plays for England. The fact that after a long lay-off through injury he could get a regular game at Chelsea under a manager that perhaps didn't know him so well or preferred other options (they did win the double after all!) doesn't bother me too much. I'd definately pick him -simply because he has the innate ability to be positive with the ball.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Re: Ferdinand out

Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:35 pm

King Crimson wrote:I've always been impressed by Joe Cole when he plays for England. The fact that after a long lay-off through injury he could get a regular game at Chelsea under a manager that perhaps didn't know him so well or preferred other options (they did win the double after all!) doesn't bother me too much. I'd definately pick him -simply because he has the innate ability to be positive with the ball.

I do agree with you there.

I just hate the fact the manager has completely gone against his word. I mean picking Wright Phillips over Adam Johnson :roll: Johnson was keeping Wright phillips out the Man city team with very impressive performances so why not choose him!

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:47 pm

King Crimson wrote:I've always been impressed by Joe Cole when he plays for England. The fact that after a long lay-off through injury he could get a regular game at Chelsea under a manager that perhaps didn't know him so well or preferred other options (they did win the double after all!) doesn't bother me too much. I'd definately pick him -simply because he has the innate ability to be positive with the ball.

I agree. If Cole starts first game, he could be our player of the tournament!

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:48 pm

swiftyboy wrote:

I agree. If Cole starts first game, he could be our player of the tournament!

I doe get the Cole hate either, Heskey I understand but not Cole. He really is one of the most positive English players out there and knows how to go past a player... We don't have many of them going spare either.

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:49 pm

scott_powell wrote:

I just hate the fact the manager has completely gone against his word. I mean picking Wright Phillips over Adam Johnson :roll: Johnson was keeping Wright phillips out the Man city team with very impressive performances so why not choose him!

I agree on that point. Can't understand leaving Johnson out. He would have given us a different option

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:53 pm

swiftyboy wrote:
scott_powell wrote:

I agree on that point. Can't understand leaving Johnson out. He would have given us a different option

I think Capello wanted to avoid the circus that would've gone with him. Like Walcott in 2006, Johnson was playing division 1 football and didn't know that many in the squad, but SWP does... Some of Capello's decisions seem odd but I think they're made on the basis of team ethic and stability over raw individual talent.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:27 pm

King Crimson wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:Gerrard is also USELESS as a player and a captain.

He's good at penalties. England need someone for that.
As for your appraisal of a player consistently voted in the world's top ten, almost always above any other England midfielder you may care to mention, I wonder why Cappelo could be so, so wrong.

Oh, and if the rumour-monkeys have even a sniff of a story, Gerrard may link up with his old midfield foil Xabi Alonso at Real Madrid. Obviously another rubbish manager who's not worked out that Gerrard is "USELESS".

mmm, he wasn't last time :wink:

That said, don't bite to Sheff, he's just a muppet behind a key board, my 6 year old daughter knows more about football than he does.
If England have any chance of winning the world cup (and they don't have much chance) Then Gerrard needs to play, and play at his very best in an attacking role.

Ferdinand is a loss, at his best, he is pretty awesome, his best doesn't come out all that often though in my opinion. His concentration is at about the same level as David James. I still wish he was playing, but it's not like losing Rooney, who is another one who needs to shine if we have any chance at all.

Special mention for Peter Crouch, who will also be another key part of our campaign.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:45 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

He's good at penalties. England need someone for that.
As for your appraisal of a player consistently voted in the world's top ten, almost always above any other England midfielder you may care to mention, I wonder why Cappelo could be so, so wrong.

Oh, and if the rumour-monkeys have even a sniff of a story, Gerrard may link up with his old midfield foil Xabi Alonso at Real Madrid. Obviously another rubbish manager who's not worked out that Gerrard is "USELESS".

mmm, he wasn't last time :wink:

That said, don't bite to Sheff, he's just a muppet behind a key board, my 6 year old daughter knows more about football than he does.
If England have any chance of winning the world cup (and they don't have much chance) Then Gerrard needs to play, and play at his very best in an attacking role.

Ferdinand is a loss, at his best, he is pretty awesome, his best doesn't come out all that often though in my opinion. His concentration is at about the same level as David James. I still wish he was playing, but it's not like losing Rooney, who is another one who needs to shine if we have any chance at all.

Special mention for Peter Crouch, who will also be another key part of our campaign.

we also need to hope we dont have to play anyone with attacking nouse. Our defence is pap.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:01 am

Ferdinand Out? I can't cope with more than one booboy at a time, so I'll stick with Bonser Out! :mrgreen:

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Ferdinand out

Sat Jun 12, 2010 8:49 pm

Thought he did rather well.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:50 pm

King Crimson wrote:

Thought he did rather well.

So did i, although it pains me to say. I thought England were okay apart from the goalkeepr.

The Red Prince
Site Addict

Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:07 pm

Have a feeling our defence may be our undoing, I can see Terry and especially Carragher getting turned n chopping sumone down to give away a peno and/or get a red card.

dajw_my_son
UTS Regular

Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:00 am

Duran Duran have released a World Cup song, it's called

"His name is Rio and he watches from the stand"

Previous
Return to England Highs & Lows