Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Ferdinand out

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Ferdinand out

Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:39 pm

Rio Ferdinand has been ruled out of the World Cup with a knee ligament injury.

Gutted, for him, and for England, he'll be a big miss.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Re: Ferdinand out

Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:51 pm

At least we get a proper captain now. :wink:

Rio will be missed as a defender for sure, especially as he has the pace to make up for errors elsewhere across the back. Not sure Ledley King, nor Michael Dawson (apparrently Rio's replacement) could cover the yards so well.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:57 pm

King Crimson wrote:At least we get a proper captain now. :wink:

Rio will be missed as a defender for sure, especially as he has the pace to make up for errors elsewhere across the back. Not sure Ledley King, nor Michael Dawson (apparrently Rio's replacement) could cover the yards so well.

Theres already rateaters on my Facebook saying how this is good news. You see why I hate them? DO YOU SEE!?

I think our centreback partnership has just gone from "stable" to "shonky" unless Ledley King has given up on being injured.

Duke
Site Addict

Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:23 pm

massive blow for us as KC says we'll miss his pace .

over to you Stevie

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Ferdinand out

Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:26 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:Theres already rateaters on my Facebook saying how this is good news. You see why I hate them? DO YOU SEE!?

I think our centreback partnership has just gone from "stable" to "shonky" unless Ledley King has given up on being injured.

Can't see anything about the way he plays or the way he talks to see why Rio would be a great captain.

I'd rather see the armband go to Rooney than Rio if I'm honest. He has the ability and determination to change a game single-handedly. That's a gift in short supply in our squad. Gerrard has it. Rooney has it. I'd say Terry has it. Not sure how many others could drag a game by the bootstraps to a win. Lampard, Joe Cole and Lennon have the ability, but I'd question their winning-at-all-costs mentality. There are some with a decidedly soft under-belly. Ashley Cole, Glen Johnson can both go hiding when the pressure is on.

PINNACLE
UTS Legend

Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:36 pm

Is'nt there rules in place where you can swap a selected member of the squad when this happens so early ?

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:38 pm

King Crimson wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:Theres already rateaters on my Facebook saying how this is good news. You see why I hate them? DO YOU SEE!?

Can't see anything about the way he plays or the way he talks to see why Rio would be a great captain.

I'd rather see the armband go to Rooney than Rio if I'm honest. He has the ability and determination to change a game single-handedly. That's a gift in short supply in our squad. Gerrard has it. Rooney has it. I'd say Terry has it. Not sure how many others could drag a game by the bootstraps to a win. Lampard, Joe Cole and Lennon have the ability, but I'd question their winning-at-all-costs mentality. There are some with a decidedly soft under-belly. Ashley Cole, Glen Johnson can both go hiding when the pressure is on.

It's not that I'm bothered who the capitan is, It's been a mere ceremonial role for years. It's more the celebrating Rio's injury due to Gerrard being made captain... It's not like we have many defenders who know the top levels of the world game like he does going spare.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Ferdinand out

Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:56 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:It's not that I'm bothered who the capitan is, It's been a mere ceremonial role for years. It's more the celebrating Rio's injury due to Gerrard being made captain... It's not like we have many defenders who know the top levels of the world game like he does going spare.

Agree totally. Such Facebook acquaintances need de-friending forthwith, and possibly liquidating (despite their footballing allegiances).

I'd love to see Gerrard lifting the World Cup for England, but I'd rather see Rio lift it than listen to Gerrard lament at a press conference how "even the best defenders make mistakes" when asked about Ledley King's mis-timed tackle that led to the penalty that put us out in the semis.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:56 pm

PINNACLE wrote:Is'nt there rules in place where you can swap a selected member of the squad when this happens so early ?

Yes, they've called up Dawson.
You can replace any injured players up until 24 hours before the first game.

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:57 pm

King Crimson wrote:

Disagree with that one, he's a big game player, just no captain.
There are Liverpool fans genuinely happy Rio Ferdinand is out. Mental. Cant believe it.

Personally and I may get shot by you lot, Terry shouldn't have had it taken off him and should have it back now. He is the best man for the job. He may be overrated as a CB by a lot of people but as a captain he's the right man.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Ferdinand out

Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:13 pm

saddlersam wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

Disagree with that one, he's a big game player, just no captain.
There are Liverpool fans genuinely happy Rio Ferdinand is out. Mental. Cant believe it.

Personally and I may get shot by you lot, Terry shouldn't have had it taken off him and should have it back now. He is the best man for the job. He may be overrated as a CB by a lot of people but as a captain he's the right man.

No chance. Besides his Dad's dealings and his Mum's stealings, to have doings with a team-mate's Missus (even ex-) whilst in a relationship onesself shows zero respect, zero integrity, zero loyalty and zero class. The Don knows this, and so acted decisively.

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:00 pm

I think it could be a blessing in disguise. I don't rate Ferdinand personally. Dawson is a decent replacement, and I think he should have made the initial squad.

Have you ever seen Dawson in the air? He wins everything!

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:49 pm

I don't know why, but I'm having visions of Rio Ferdinand sat in his house on July 11th, watching Steven Gerrard lifting the World Cup, listening to Yvonne Fair singing "It Should Have Been Me".

chestersaddler
Site Addict

Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:23 pm

priestley_saddler wrote:I don't know why, but I'm having visions of Rio Ferdinand sat in his house on July 11th, watching Steven Gerrard lifting the World Cup, listening to Yvonne Fair singing "It Should Have Been Me".

Because you are on strong drugs maybe?

latviancheese
Site Addict

Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:48 pm

We will miss his big game experiance, but it ay Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard, Or Milner. Thankfully.

Hes hardly played all season, and im not sure he was on his game anyway.

motty
UTS Legend

Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:43 pm

latviancheese wrote:We will miss his big game experiance, but it ay Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard, Or Milner. Thankfully.

Hes hardly played all season, and im not sure he was on his game anyway.

I agree he will be missed he has a lot of experience at international level, although it must be said that he has caused a number of goals due to match fitness in his past ten or so games since hes returned from injury. If King gets injured i think were in the brown stuff as/if we progress through the tournament.

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:01 pm

chestersaddler wrote:
priestley_saddler wrote:I don't know why, but I'm having visions of Rio Ferdinand sat in his house on July 11th, watching Steven Gerrard lifting the World Cup, listening to Yvonne Fair singing "It Should Have Been Me".

Because you are on strong drugs maybe?

Perhaps :wink:

The Red Prince
Site Addict

Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:56 pm

I see it was that donkey Heskey who nobbled him!

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:02 am

Lets be honest.
Ferdinand is USELESS as a player and a captain.
Gerrard is also USELESS as a player and a captain.
Wouldnt miss both of them.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Ferdinand out

Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:51 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:Gerrard is also USELESS as a player and a captain.

He's good at penalties. England need someone for that.
As for your appraisal of a player consistently voted in the world's top ten, almost always above any other England midfielder you may care to mention, I wonder why Cappelo could be so, so wrong.

Oh, and if the rumour-monkeys have even a sniff of a story, Gerrard may link up with his old midfield foil Xabi Alonso at Real Madrid. Obviously another rubbish manager who's not worked out that Gerrard is "USELESS".

ciscokid
UTS Legend

Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:30 am

I don't think Ferdinand will be a big loss, perhaps a blessing in disguise. He has been struggling for most the season with a back injury, remember the game against City when Bellamy left him for dead. My worry is that the centre halves will be vulnerable with our current options.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sat Jun 05, 2010 7:48 am

King Crimson wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:Gerrard is also USELESS as a player and a captain.

He's good at penalties. England need someone for that.
As for your appraisal of a player consistently voted in the world's top ten, almost always above any other England midfielder you may care to mention, I wonder why Cappelo could be so, so wrong.

Oh, and if the rumour-monkeys have even a sniff of a story, Gerrard may link up with his old midfield foil Xabi Alonso at Real Madrid. Obviously another rubbish manager who's not worked out that Gerrard is "USELESS".

He wasn't tutored by a certain Bobby Robson, was he?

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:00 am

swiftyboy wrote:I think it could be a blessing in disguise. I don't rate Ferdinand personally. Dawson is a decent replacement, and I think he should have made the initial squad.

No, but I do remember him getting torn to pieces once by a World class striker called Jorge Leitao.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:11 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
swiftyboy wrote:I think it could be a blessing in disguise. I don't rate Ferdinand personally. Dawson is a decent replacement, and I think he should have made the initial squad.

No, but I do remember him getting torn to pieces once by a World class striker called Jorge Leitao.

And I think that's the problem... All of our centrebacks - Rio included, have been tortured by players you'd expect them to keep in the back pocket easily... I'd only say King hasn't been as bad as the rest.
Carragher has been awful, Terry has been Terryrised (gerrit?) by anyone with half a turn of pace or nous in the air and Upson has just been involved with a season of thanking God for 3 worse teams than Wet Spam.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Ferdinand out

Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:11 am

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:15 am

King Crimson wrote:.

I'm afraid that I don't have James Bond microdot reading technology on my computer xxx

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:59 am

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:

I'm afraid that I don't have James Bond microdot reading technology on my computer xxx

I was on my phone, posted a reply about Mourinho not being taught anything about winning graciously by Bobby Robson when someone posted sommat else, my post made no sense, and TapaTalk would only let me edit rather than delete my post. So I deleted all the text, then it said I could submit a post with no content, so I added a full stop.

Bet you wish ya day ask now, ar.
:oops:

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:07 am

King Crimson wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:

I was on my phone, posted a reply about Mourinho not being taught anything about winning graciously by Bobby Robson when someone posted sommat else, my post made no sense, and TapaTalk would only let me edit rather than delete my post. So I deleted all the text, then it said I could submit a post with no content, so I added a full stop.

Bet you wish ya day ask now, ar.
:oops:

Because it is you, King, I will feign interest while secretly harbouring a rage only an angry god could feel for wasting my time.

I do like Mourinho, but I do wonder where that Robson humility went... It is odd that he is courting a USELESS player though. Not like him to sign a duffer

Cough. Shevchenko, Del Horno Cough.

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:16 pm

I'd of left Rio out anyway and had Dawson in.
He's played a 3rd of Uniteds games this season, games I have seen him in he wasnt at his best and would of cost us a goal or two in the world cup.
Last edited by DanWalsallFC on Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:20 pm

Its a blessing in disguise if you ask me

Rio had only played a third of uniteds games this season and even in those games he was terrible from what i saw. I'd also like to add that Capello is a complete tosspot! Oh yeah I'm goin to pick players who are playing and on form. Oh so i'll pick Heskey, Ferdinand and J.Cole! Joke

Next
Return to England Highs & Lows