Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

England squad announcement

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:02 pm

What an utter farce this has turned out to be. As things stand Walcott is believed to be out, as is Adam Johnson and Darren Bent. Because they're all finding out at different times, we're getting the news through in dribs and drabs rather than just announcing the damn squad.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/8715254.stm

I know in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter. But for someone like Capello, who is so strict on organisation and doing things properly and professionally, this has been handled shambolically.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Re: England squad announcement

Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:25 pm

Truely Bizzare.

We are finding out from Twitter. :lol:

Jockey
UTS Legend

Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:28 pm

Does it really matter??? The people that need to know have been told by Capello on the phone.

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:31 pm

In the grand scheme of things then no, it probably doesn't matter. I don't think our chances of winning the World Cup will increase if he names it this minute, nor it will we go out earlier based on the shenanigans of the way the squad announcement (or lack of it) has been handled so far.

I just don't think its a very professional way of doing it.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:36 pm

It makes me wonder if this is done on purpose, given the amount of "rolling" news media outlets in this country like BBC sport website, News 24, Sky Sports News etc...it's no surprise simple events like the naming of a squad turn in to a day-long drip drip drip of information - I dont think its a coincidence that it plays in to Sky sports / BBC's hands.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:48 pm

philthesaddler wrote:It makes me wonder if this is done on purpose, given the amount of "rolling" news media outlets in this country like BBC sport website, News 24, Sky Sports News etc...it's no surprise simple events like the naming of a squad turn in to a day-long drip drip drip of information - I dont think its a coincidence that it plays in to Sky sports / BBC's hands.

It's a joke when there are headlines on the BBC saying "Walcott left out of England squad" and then in the text underneath they say "BBC Sport understands".
Most news sites now seem to report rumours and speculation rather than the actual news.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue Jun 01, 2010 2:51 pm

SaddlerSteve wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:It makes me wonder if this is done on purpose, given the amount of "rolling" news media outlets in this country like BBC sport website, News 24, Sky Sports News etc...it's no surprise simple events like the naming of a squad turn in to a day-long drip drip drip of information - I dont think its a coincidence that it plays in to Sky sports / BBC's hands.

It's a joke when there are headlines on the BBC saying "Walcott left out of England squad" and then in the text underneath they say "BBC Sport understands".
Most news sites now seem to report rumours and speculation rather than the actual news.

Just imagine the extra traffic commercial news agencies like Sky, ITV etc will have had from todays shenanigans, then think back just under a month, and the shenanigans over the election. Two events that in the past have been simple events that now in the light of constant media glare have unsurprisingly become prolonged. Just who benefits from the prolongation of these events?

For non commercial agencies such as the BBC, I guess the rolling coverage that the drip-drip-drip allows them to offer is justification of their existance.

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:06 pm

ENGLAND'S 2010 WORLD CUP SQUAD:
Goalkeepers: Joe Hart, David James, Robert Green.
Defenders: Jamie Carragher, Ashley Cole, Rio Ferdinand, Glen Johnson, Ledley King, John Terry, Matthew Upson, Stephen Warnock
Midfielders: Gareth Barry, Michael Carrick, Joe Cole, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Shaun Wright-Phillips.
Forwards: Peter Crouch, Jermain Defoe, Emile Heskey, Wayne Rooney

I'd have taken Adam Johnson and Walcott, instead of Milner and Wright-Phillips, but other than that not a lot wrong with it.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:37 pm

You wouldnt take Milner? :? As much as it pains to say cause he plays for the villa, the boy is class.

Im not a fan of Carrick, thought Huddlestone is a better player at the mo. Cant disagree with it though, thank god he hasnt picked Carragher.

Four Oaks Saddler
UTS Veteran

Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:48 pm

latviancheese wrote:You wouldnt take Milner? :? As much as it pains to say cause he plays for the villa, the boy is class.

Im not a fan of Carrick, thought Huddlestone is a better player at the mo. Cant disagree with it though, thank god he hasnt picked Carragher.

I think Milner derserves his place too. One of the few players to have actually made the squad on 'form'.

Oh, and sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you might want to check again re. Carragher. :wink:

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:07 pm

Michael Carrick and Jamie Carragher are very lucky boys.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:17 pm

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:Michael Carrick and Jamie Carragher are very lucky boys.

Can't see Carrick getting much of a game at all. Carragher may get his boots muddy, but only if there's an injury glut as the tournament progresses (a possibility). He's not great, but he's versatile (a sort of Matt Richards but World Cup-stylee).

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:38 pm

King Crimson wrote:
Fray Bentos is God! wrote:Michael Carrick and Jamie Carragher are very lucky boys.

Can't see Carrick getting much of a game at all. Carragher may get his boots muddy, but only if there's an injury glut as the tournament progresses (a possibility). He's not great, but he's versatile (a sort of Matt Richards but World Cup-stylee).

You mentioned Matt Richards and the World cup in the same sentance *sniggers*

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:06 pm

Whitti Steve wrote:You mentioned Matt Richards and the World cup in the same sentance *sniggers*

I nearly used Joe "ultimate professional" Broad by way of an example. :-)

yoda
Site Addict

Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:13 pm

Suprised at Taundrys shock omission

latviancheese
Site Addict

Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:43 pm

aww sugar. Ill give Carragher one thing, at least he will give his all. Although it will be rather embarassing watching him try, hopefully he wont play much.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:12 pm

Walcott is absolutely dire, an easy omission, please dont anyone bore me with this amazing 'pace' tripe

What is the point of being fast if you are gash?

Shame about Adam Johnson, but his time will come

COME ON ENGLAND

11:11

Pedro
UTS Legend

Tue Jun 01, 2010 11:54 pm

Shocked about Walcott as think he could offer a bit more than Wright-Phillips. No problems with Lennon been in the side he needs to start as he had the pace, skill and has learned to put in a killer ball. As for not wanting to take Milner that would be utter madness, the player is a rising star could be England's main surprise given the chance. As Johnson I thinknit come a bit to soon for him, if he had started the season off at Man City things could have been different.

TimWilkes
Glitterati

Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:49 am

Michael Carrick....oh lordy :shock:
Shaun Wright Phillips....assuming his dad gets a job on ITV [a match made in heaven, if ever there was one], another reason to switch over :roll:

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:30 am

The only disappointment for me is the inclusion of Heskey , very surprise to see Walcott miss out

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:48 am

Duke wrote:The only disappointment for me is the inclusion of Heskey , very surprise to see Walcott miss out

Someone on the BBC yesterday posted the international scoring records of Jose Luiz Chilavert and that columbian keeper, and they were both better than Heskeys :D

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:05 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
Duke wrote:The only disappointment for me is the inclusion of Heskey , very surprise to see Walcott miss out

Someone on the BBC yesterday posted the international scoring records of Jose Luiz Chilavert and that columbian keeper, and they were both better than Heskeys :D

But his is just as good as Beardsley's, who people were clamouring for to play, as he was a "perfect foil" for Linneker. Just face it, other strikers like playing with Heskey and Rooney scores far more often when partnered with him.

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:10 pm

If you look at this from the outsider's viewpoint, the first two right midfielders are out for England. Whether you think they're luxuries or not, few countries will weep over Beckham's injury and Walcott's omission / injury / struggle for form. Beckham is a vastly experienced player that can still unlock the tightest defence, Walcott likewise with pace. To refer to a player that scored a hat trick in Zagreb as 'gash' is rather silly, as he frightens any defence. On the other hand, Aaron Lennon has done nothing to convince me he should be on the plane, other than to be in the right place at the right time in the style of Nick Clegg. The only more undeserving candidate is Carrick, for similar reasons.

A word for Heskey too, while we're at it. He does have an appalling scoring record, but goes to the finals correctly on merit. He's played and scored in more than one tournament and his play will be invaluable against the lesser opponents in the earlier stages. His industry will allow the guile of others to shine, a truly unselfish player for his country.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:18 pm

I can't envisage a scenario in the forthcoming weeks where the fans lament that they "wish we'd had Michael Carrick in the squad." I just don't see a situation where the games will require someone who is a poor understudy to Barry, Milner, Gerrard and Lampard as central midfielders. That's where I think a couple of injuries or a change of formation could see a value in Carragher. I won't lose sleep over Theo W staying at home. He's got plenty of pace, but he's often very limited in its application. Too one dimensional for most first class defenders, who'll shepherd him to where they want him or mark him out of the game in the first place.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 12:20 pm

leics_saddler wrote:If you look at this from the outsider's viewpoint, the first two right midfielders are out for England. Whether you think they're luxuries or not, few countries will weep over Beckham's injury and Walcott's omission / injury / struggle for form. Beckham is a vastly experienced player that can still unlock the tightest defence, Walcott likewise with pace. To refer to a player that scored a hat trick in Zagreb as 'gash' is rather silly, as he frightens any defence. On the other hand, Aaron Lennon has done nothing to convince me he should be on the plane, other than to be in the right place at the right time in the style of Nick Clegg. The only more undeserving candidate is Carrick, for similar reasons.

A word for Heskey too, while we're at it. He does have an appalling scoring record, but goes to the finals correctly on merit. He's played and scored in more than one tournament and his play will be invaluable against the lesser opponents in the earlier stages. His industry will allow the guile of others to shine, a truly unselfish player for his country.

Agree about your bit of Heskey love in the main but I've got real problems with your bold bit...

Walcott and Lennon have both had their injury problems this season but played around the same amount of games. To call either gash is just a bit overexaggerated, not bad, just over the top but to say Lennon is undeserving is around the same looking at this...

Lennon: Played 22 Goals 3 Assists 10 (League)
Walcott: Played 23 Goals 3 Assists 2 (League)

Pace is great as long as you can use it, and that tells me (and probably told the Don) that Lennon has better end product for a winger.

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:13 pm

Thank you for at least providing some analysis rather than shouting like I would. On that basis you would have to agree, but that is restricted to the domestic season.

If we're talking about the World Cup Finals, experience is everything. France and Germany have been masters of getting to finals with a relative load of old carthorses. Lennon's international experience is far less than Walcott's, who at 21(? ) has already been to a World Cup Finals (though it was ridiculous not to unleash him on Brazil).

Lennon does have potential and nothing would give me more pleasure than to see him fulfil it this month and become a match winner.

Duke
Site Addict

Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:45 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:

But his is just as good as Beardsley's, who people were clamouring for to play, as he was a "perfect foil" for Linneker. Just face it, other strikers like playing with Heskey and Rooney s
cores far more often when partnered with him.

Heard that argument before , I'm going by his performances last season .

24 appearance plus 16 as sub 5 goals scored , if we find ourselves needing a goal to stay in the world cup and Heskey is the only option that doesn't fill me with confidence

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:51 am

Duke wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:

But his is just as good as Beardsley's, who people were clamouring for to play, as he was a "perfect foil" for Linneker. Just face it, other strikers like playing with Heskey and Rooney s

24 appearance plus 16 as sub 5 goals scored , if we find ourselves needing a goal to stay in the world cup and Heskey is the only option that doesn't fill me with confidence

I would suggest very strongly that Defoe has got the supersub role. He proved it more than once during the qualifiers. In that sense Heskey is a mere battering ram to soften up defences for a Defoe cameo later.

Duke
Site Addict

Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:57 am

leics_saddler wrote:
Duke wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
philthesaddler wrote:

I would suggest very strongly that Defoe has got the supersub role. He proved it more than once during the qualifiers. In that sense Heskey is a mere battering ram to soften up defences for a Defoe cameo later.

Agreed Defoe will be first to come on upfront , what if he gets injured and were only left with Heskey

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:36 pm

Did you hear that, on arrival at Heathrow, Heskey was introduced to some BA cabin crew so that he could meet some real strikers?

Next
Return to England Highs & Lows