Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

World Cup Build Up

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
swiftyboy
Site Addict

World Cup Build Up

Sun May 30, 2010 1:39 pm

I'd love to know just what England actually do in their training camps. They certainly don't look anywhere near ready for a Workd Cup competition!

They may have won the game against Mexico, but struggled to get the ball off Mexico, and even had less posession statistically, and that was at home.

At the moment against Japan, we look lethargic, tired, devoid of ideas, and don't even seem to be able to string a few simple passes together.

Very worrying considering we are less than half a game away from our first group game. Plus we don't even seem to know which system we are playing!

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Re: World Cup Build Up

Sun May 30, 2010 1:52 pm

The only good thing I can take from this is that after two poor performances our press won't put the pressure on insisting we're going to win the tournament.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Sun May 30, 2010 1:59 pm

Winning games despite playing like complete dross will come in handy too.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Sun May 30, 2010 2:26 pm

Its all tactical, leading everyone into a false sense of security.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun May 30, 2010 3:41 pm

Sod Carragher, both Terry and Ferdinand look shot off the pace and Johnson is terrible at defending.

We wont get anywhere near the world cup.

scott_powell
Site Addict

Sun May 30, 2010 3:50 pm

latviancheese wrote:Sod Carragher, both Terry and Ferdinand look shot off the pace and Johnson is terrible at defending.

Very much agree. We'll qualify second in our group then lose in the first round of knock outs

Goose277
Glitterati

Location: One morning I shot an elephant in my pyjamas. How he got in my pyjamas, I don't know

Sun May 30, 2010 7:37 pm

swiftyboy wrote:I'd love to know just what England actually do in their training camps. They certainly don't look anywhere near ready for a Workd Cup competition!

They may have won the game against Mexico, but struggled to get the ball off Mexico, and even had less posession statistically, and that was at home.

At the moment against Japan, we look lethargic, tired, devoid of ideas, and don't even seem to be able to string a few simple passes together.

Very worrying considering we are less than half a game away from our first group game. Plus we don't even seem to know which system we are playing!

The problem with build up games is you're never going to get the kind of commitment that you will when the real games start. I think Capello is just trying to practice different sytems and seeing how fringe players play with his first choice players. I didn't watch the whole game but I gather other than Rooney, everyone just seemed to be going through the motions with no real interest. Given they fly out next week, it's hardly surprising.

Did I hear correct that fat frank missed a penalty? Not what you want to hear really is it? Mind you, when the rehersals don't go well the real show does so I'm going to hold on to that :D

DanWalsallFC
Site Addict

Sun May 30, 2010 8:49 pm

We'll lose to USA.
Then we'll go out in the first knockout round.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun May 30, 2010 9:44 pm

topic on this in the England forum:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=34515

ciscokid
UTS Legend

Mon May 31, 2010 10:27 am

scott_powell wrote:
latviancheese wrote:Sod Carragher, both Terry and Ferdinand look shot off the pace and Johnson is terrible at defending.

Very much agree. We'll qualify second in our group then lose in the first round of knock outs

We seem to be selecting players that are not necessarily in form, but who bring in the most sponsorship money. Why Rio is anywhere near the team amazes me. But that's the FA for you

It has to be said, with players out of form, injuries and an unsettled side; I can’t remember when I've felt so negative about England’s chances in a major comp. :cry:
Perhaps out of all the doom and gloom we may be able to take a positive. What that is, I'm still trying work out:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Mon May 31, 2010 8:19 pm

There are just no good enough english centre halves, its worse than the left hand side problem.

I can see the USA beating us, they got some good players. Even the Slovenians aren't a gimme.

This World Cup is going to be the biggest dissapointment ever, and people will finally realise the damage the Premier League is having on english football.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Mon May 31, 2010 9:00 pm

I don't think it's going to be that much of a disappointment.
I'm not expecting us to get past the quarter finals so if we do it'll be a bonus.
The last few World Cups were really disappointing because I genuinely thought we were in with a good chance, especially in 2006.

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:42 am

SaddlerSteve wrote:I don't think it's going to be that much of a disappointment.
I'm not expecting us to get past the quarter finals so if we do it'll be a bonus.
The last few World Cups were really disappointing because I genuinely thought we were in with a good chance, especially in 2006.

That's the problem though Steve isn't it? The past two World Cups, people thought we were "in with a chance" and we were left dissapointed.

This time, we don't seem to be in with any chance!

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:56 am

If we get anywhere, it'll be purely down to Capello finding a way to make our over rated bunch of prima donnas realise that the way you win International Tournaments is by NOT GIVING THE BALL AWAY CHEAPLY. Something that we seem to have no idea how to do.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:33 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:If we get anywhere, it'll be purely down to Capello finding a way to make our over rated bunch of prima donnas realise that the way you win International Tournaments is by NOT GIVING THE BALL AWAY CHEAPLY. Something that we seem to have no idea how to do.

He knows this and our ball retention is a lot better than under Mclaren.

It doesn't help that our top 3 centre halves are made of glass (King, Woodgate and Rio this season) or internationally poor and overrated (Terry or Upson)

I think, like Walsall, our midfield is the least of Capello's problems. Only a defensive midfielder is a problem.

TimWilkes
Glitterati

Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:45 am

I will be pleasantly surprised if we get past the quarter finals. We are average - now't wrong with that.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:45 am

TimWilkes wrote:We are average - now't wrong with that.

Definitely. Italy were very average in the last World Cup and look what happened to them. :mrgreen:

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:22 am

Forget that! , i'm looking forward to the camera men zooming in on any lovelies in the stadium crowd. It's a given that there will be at least one Brazilian lady shaking her stuff. :mrgreen:

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:47 pm

Pillions of England flags here, there and everywhere!

Draped from windows, from car windows, everywhere.

Great to see them all on show, and reminds me of all the flags on show in all the other countries I've been to. Nice to see them brought out here for a change.

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:09 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:Pillions of England flags here, there and everywhere!

Draped from windows, from car windows, everywhere.

Great to see them all on show, and reminds me of all the flags on show in all the other countries I've been to. Nice to see them brought out here for a change.

I agree mate. I just hope the number increases even more over the next week! I'm going to put mine out tonight

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:10 pm

derbysaddler wrote:Forget that! , i'm looking forward to the camera men zooming in on any lovelies in the stadium crowd. It's a given that there will be at least one Brazilian lady shaking her stuff. :mrgreen:

and her stuffs

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:03 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:
derbysaddler wrote:Forget that! , i'm looking forward to the camera men zooming in on any lovelies in the stadium crowd. It's a given that there will be at least one Brazilian lady shaking her stuff. :mrgreen:

and her stuffs

Germany 2006, i was at Brazil vs Japan at Dortmund's incredible 'Massive Ground'. I was right in the middle of the Brazil fans. The ladies were wearing very little indeed.

Very nice, how much?

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:31 am

swiftyboy wrote:I'd love to know just what England actually do in their training camps.

Send text piccies of their pants.

swiftyboy
Site Addict

Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:35 am

Cheesebag wrote:

Send text piccies of their pants.

Ha ha!

Very true Mr Cheese

Return to England Highs & Lows