Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

England Vs Mexico

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

England Vs Mexico

Mon May 24, 2010 9:39 pm

Fabio wins again. Cashback.

Exile
Jobsworth

Re: England Vs Mexico

Tue May 25, 2010 3:51 am

Australia vs NZ more interesting, especially for the animosity and thuggery of the Aussies, too scared to lose. The All Whites nearly blagged a draw and should have had a win, if the ref had had the cojones to send off the dirty Aussie cheats for their studs-up two footed tackle routines. And if he'd blown after extra time was up instead of waiting for the Aussies to take the ball up field and score with the last kick of the game well after that time was up. :evil:

Well done England, by the way.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue May 25, 2010 8:07 am

I dont understand people criticising Fabio - his record so far with England is nothing short of terrific. We even won last night, and the performance still gets criticised - and I dont think it was all that bad a performance.

Yes Mexico had a lot of the ball, but thats what good international sides try to do, so we must get used to it - if we come up against Brazil/Spain/Germany/France/Italy/Argentina, they'll try and keep the ball, just like we'll try and keep the ball.

Players will have been nervous also, a lot of them out there last night knew it was their audition, plus none of them really want to get themselves injured.

I think we stand a really good chance of winning this World Cup, just let Fabio do his thing.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Tue May 25, 2010 8:46 am

Last nights team was very different from the team that will start the first game in South Africa. I would say there'd be at least four, possibly five changes. Given that the result was good, although the performance wasn't particularly fluid.

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Tue May 25, 2010 9:07 am

England's team was different to the one that will start in the WC, but I'd imagine so was Mexico's. They play Holland tomorrow and are expected to field a completely different starting XI, so I would guess there WC line up would be a mixture of both.

That said, Mexico obviously wont win the WC, so for England to win it they must be able to see off sides like this, and they did.

Jockey
UTS Legend

Tue May 25, 2010 9:19 am

Bentos is still getting over the fact Gaz Nev aint been picked :mrgreen:

Seriously though, I thought apart from Baines, King and Carrick - 3 players that wont be in the starting X1, we didnt play too badly. You have to realise these players wont be going all out when the world cup is only 3 weeks away. Even a slight strain could put their world cup in tattes.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Tue May 25, 2010 9:47 am

I thought King was quite poor, apart from him goal. He got turned a couple of times, and the commentators were banging on about how he was proving his fitness etc. But doesnt he have to have a week off between games because of his knees? I dont think he's worth taking.

saddlerJP
Glitterati

Tue May 25, 2010 10:49 am

Thought King was poor as was Baines,Carrick and Walcott but wouldn't expect any of them to start.

Walcott for me is just a sprinter who can also play a bit of football, i'd take him as a wild card to use when the game need changing but for me he would be behind lennon and wright phillips on the right hand side, the fact he could also play up front could be an advantage to him.

Overall i thought we did ok once we'd settled.

Duke
Site Addict

Tue May 25, 2010 2:49 pm

love the commentators remark on the Crouch goal .

" apart from being off side and hand ball it was a perfectly legal goal " :D

Agreed with Phil cannot understand any criticism of Fabio I also reckon under him we have a great chance of winning the world cup.

Return to England Highs & Lows