Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Ukraine V England

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
big baz 1
UTS Legend

Ukraine V England

Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:21 am

Ukraine 0-7 England
Just heard on the radio that the game isnt being shown on bbc or itv . The reason being that the live rights were bourght buy setanta and no tv company wanted to buy the rights . The game will only will be watchable on internet where it is going to be streamed live for £ 4.99 .
Last edited by big baz 1 on Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Re: Ukraine V England

Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:28 am

Or £9.99 if you leave it til Thursday to sign up.

It's a case of the Ukraine FA maximising their income from the game. I fully expect the online company that bought the rights to make a loss on the whole thing. Also I would expect it to be a technical disaster, with streaming being slow and disjointed. I won't be bothering.

For once I don't think we can't blame our own FA, but at the end of the day it is the ordinary fan that gets shafted.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:14 am

PJD wrote:Or £9.99 if you leave it til Thursday to sign up.

It's a case of the Ukraine FA maximising their income from the game. I fully expect the online company that bought the rights to make a loss on the whole thing. Also I would expect it to be a technical disaster, with streaming being slow and disjointed. I won't be bothering.

For once I don't think we can't blame our own FA, but at the end of the day it is the ordinary fan that gets shafted.

Totally agree. Another death blow to following the national team. What ever happened to going to the pub to watch the game live on terrestrial telly with your mates and a pint? :(

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:16 pm

King Crimson wrote:
PJD wrote:Or £9.99 if you leave it til Thursday to sign up.

Totally agree. Another death blow to following the national team. What ever happened to going to the pub to watch the game live on terrestrial telly with your mates and a pint? :(

Well said pjd and kingy

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:51 pm

Maybe that's not an issue for those at the FA, because they haven't got any mates :mrgreen:

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:09 pm

PJD wrote:Maybe that's not an issue for those at the FA, because they haven't got any mates :mrgreen:

It's not the same since Sven left. Didn't he mate successfully at the FA HQ?

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:02 pm

Your national team whether it be football, rugby, cricket etc etc should be FREE and on a tv channel EVERYONE can get for FREE.
Its absolutely disgraceful when you have to pay to watch your national team.

SWS1

Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:14 pm

Hear! Hear!
I accidentally started a thread in Slightly off topic about this.
I wonder how to find email addresses for Kentaro (the robdogs charging for the event) and the Ukrainian FA (the blackguards who flogged the rights) so we can let them know how we feel (er, ahem, etc)?
:?: :evil:

priestley_saddler
UTS Legend

Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:07 am

A chap at work has just sent me this. Apparently it can be watched for free if you have a Bet 365 account

http://www.Scunthorpe.co.uk/page/News/0,,10442~1818923,00.html
Last edited by priestley_saddler on Tue Oct 06, 2009 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:04 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:Your national team whether it be football, rugby, cricket etc etc should be FREE and on a tv channel EVERYONE can get for FREE.

On this matter, I am in total accord with the grumpmeister from South Yorkshire.

gerryhatrick
UTS Legend

Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:58 pm

King Crimson wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:Your national team whether it be football, rugby, cricket etc etc should be FREE and on a tv channel EVERYONE can get for FREE.

On this matter, I am in total accord with the grumpmeister from South Yorkshire.

By the same token, a players highest aspiration should be to represent their country of birth
and not desire obscene re-numeration packages for the privilege (legitimate expenses apart).

Jimmy Hill couldn't have envisaged the lifestyles of modern day sportsmen when, all those
years ago, he twisted the top of the can that carried the label - Players Maximum Wage.

gypnac
UTS Veteran

Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:03 am

For anyone in or around the Brownhills area, the Whitehorse pub (just off the A5, opposite Watling St primary school) will have the game on linked to the big telly.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:21 am

gerryhatrick wrote:By the same token, a players highest aspiration should be to represent their country of birth
and not desire obscene re-numeration packages for the privilege (legitimate expenses apart).

I may be wrong, but I don't think the players receive a big fee for playing (something like £1500 per game is a figure that springs to mind), and for quite a while now the players have donated this to charity.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:11 pm

The most irritating thing I've found about this game is the radio and press constantly referring to it as a "meaningless fixture". Errr, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the Ukraine have to win to have any chance of qualification?

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:38 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:The most irritating thing I've found about this game is the radio and press constantly referring to it as a "meaningless fixture". Errr, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the Ukraine have to win to have any chance of qualification?

I think it's a little Englander thing. Pisses me off too.

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:27 pm

CACK

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Sat Oct 10, 2009 8:49 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:The most irritating thing I've found about this game is the radio and press constantly referring to it as a "meaningless fixture". Errr, correct me if I'm wrong, but don't the Ukraine have to win to have any chance of qualification?

A meaningless fixture for England, yes.
We have already qualified.

yoda
Site Addict

Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:55 pm

Ive got to be honest, since a girl in a bar slapped me and called me 'not English' because I said I didnt think Rooney was world class Ive felt complete indifference to it all and for the first time ever wont be behind them at a tournament. Ive never really been able relate to the players, now it seems the fans dont want me either.

Ah well, more time to focus on Walsall.
Last edited by yoda on Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:56 pm

Ukraine aint a bad side though, still if we wanna win the world cup we should be beating them. And people seem to think we have some divine right over little known of ukraine. Well they have some very good player and its irritates me that because they dont play in the Premiersh*t people refuse to see it. Carrick? Id rather have Tymoshuck anyday.

Rio Ferdinand has got to go, hes past it.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:26 am

latviancheese wrote:Ukraine aint a bad side though, still if we wanna win the world cup we should be beating them. And people seem to think we have some divine right over little known of ukraine. Well they have some very good player and its irritates me that because they dont play in the Premiersh*t people refuse to see it. Carrick? Id rather have Tymoshuck anyday.

Rio Ferdinand has got to go, hes past it.

For one bad game?

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:36 am

I watched the game and to be honest the goal wasnt just rio fault , blame can also be given to Cashely Cole who tryed some sort of trick on the egde of the area. Rio has been one of this countrys best defenders for years now and sadly Cashley Cole the is without a doubt the best lleft back in the world. Oh well onwards and upwards for England

Duke
Site Addict

Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:28 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:

A meaningless fixture for England, yes.
We have already qualified.

Agreed

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:39 pm

Nothing like keeping a winning mentality then?

Return to England Highs & Lows