Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

England cvs Croatia

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
RobboH89
Glitterati

Location: Waiting for confirmation of League 1 Survival! Bring It On!

England cvs Croatia

Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:57 pm

Score predictions?

2-1 England, Croatia to equalise at 1-1

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Re: England cvs Croatia

Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:26 am

England 7-0 Croatia

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:38 am

A game that will either show England's world cup credentials or just show England up.

My money's on the former. England to win 3-1. Save the real pain for the WC quarter-finals after the team's been bigged up by the press then lost to Scotland (or similar). Still, lots of photos of the WAGs on safari in bikinis will make up for the loss.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:10 pm

Exile wrote:A game that will either show England's world cup credentials or just show England up.

My money's on the former. England to win 3-1. Save the real pain for the WC quarter-finals after the team's been bigged up by the press then lost to Scotland (or similar). Still, lots of photos of the WAGs on safari in bikinis will make up for the loss.

You never know, it could be different this time. We actually have a manager that knows what he is doing. Be hard to win it out of Europe, if we are going to get knocked out, at least lets hope it isn't on penalties this time!

England will beat Croatia wednesday, a narrow win, but a win all the same.

RobboH89
Glitterati

Location: Waiting for confirmation of League 1 Survival! Bring It On!

Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:34 pm

I shall also be supporting Northern Ireland, they deserve some success after the past barren years at the bottom of tables scoring no goals!

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:43 pm

Exile wrote:A game that will either show England's world cup credentials or just show England up.

Why dont you do us all a favour and support someone else then, save you the trouble next year then wouldnt it?
What a totally stupid post.

My opinion is that England are a different team under Capello, if people like Exile cannot see that, then go watch something other than football.
CLUELESS!

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:27 am

Rob_Walsall wrote:I shall also be supporting Northern Ireland, they deserve some success after the past barren years at the bottom of tables scoring no goals!

I shall be supporting the netherlands against scotland

Exile
Jobsworth

Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:13 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:

Why dont you do us all a favour and support someone else then, save you the trouble next year then wouldnt it?
What a totally stupid post.

My opinion is that England are a different team under Capello, if people like Exile cannot see that, then go watch something other than football.
CLUELESS!

I don't believe you can read. I posted that I believed England have World Cup credentials, and then postulated that (after qualifying, which I've taken as a formality, given the team's track record in this campaign and my faith in Capello to see it through) we'd dumped in the WC quarter-finals, which is about on a par with our current FIFA world ranking of 7th.

I'd hope we can do better.

Of course, if being pragmatic means my opinion differs from yours, so be it, but if you think that makes me clueless, and that I'd better support someone else, then I can only assume that you are deluded, stupid and desperate for attention for your own point of view. If you can't handle other people's opinions, that's your problem not mine.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:08 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:My opinion is that England are a different team under Capello

His record in qualifiers speaks for itself, but against high quality opposition I think we're still found wanting. Against Spain (2-0 defeat) we looked short of quality, and against Holland (2-2 draw) we made errors and were helped by Dutch substitutions that significantly weakened their side. I know these were friendlies, so it's perhaps too early to judge. But it's a truism worth repeating that in order to win the World Cup, you're going to have to beat some of the very best teams in the world. Not sure we're good enough - yet.

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:26 pm

King Crimson wrote:Not sure we're good enough - yet.

CLUELESS. Go and support someone else.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:30 pm

tinned wrote:
King Crimson wrote:Not sure we're good enough - yet.

CLUELESS. Go and support someone else.

"Oh Flower of Scoooooootlaaaand, when shall we seeeeeeeeeeee............"

:mrgreen:

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:44 pm

King Crimson wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:My opinion is that England are a different team under Capello

His record in qualifiers speaks for itself, but against high quality opposition I think we're still found wanting. Against Spain (2-0 defeat) we looked short of quality, and against Holland (2-2 draw) we made errors and were helped by Dutch substitutions that significantly weakened their side. I know these were friendlies, so it's perhaps too early to judge. But it's a truism worth repeating that in order to win the World Cup, you're going to have to beat some of the very best teams in the world. Not sure we're good enough - yet.

I am sure you will agree against Spain England did not field there best 11.
We had no Green, Ferdinand/Upson, Lampard, Gerrard or Rooney. All of those 5 would be part of a first 11 now would they not?
So we had practically 1/2 of the current squad out! Against European Champions, would you not think that would make a BIG difference?

Against Holland, yes we made errors, but the Dutch made 2 half time changes nothing drastic.
Capello realised what was wrong and corrected it.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:28 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

We had no Green, Ferdinand/Upson, Lampard, Gerrard or Rooney. All of those 5 would be part of a first 11 now would they not?
So we had practically 1/2 of the current squad out! Against European Champions, would you not think that would make a BIG difference?

Against Holland, yes we made errors, but the Dutch made 2 half time changes nothing drastic.

Spain also had several decent players missing. England had half their starting eleven out, but not half their squad. Serious question: do you think England are better than Spain at full strength? I'm not convinced.

The Dutch also made two further substitutions in the second half - one before we equalised (54 minutes) and one later on (78 minutes). They looked far, far worse as a result of their changes, whereas we looked much better. Credit to Capello for changing the side with the subs we made, but Holland looked rubbish second half.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:57 pm

King Crimson wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

Spain also had several decent players missing. England had half their starting eleven out, but not half their squad. Serious question: do you think England are better than Spain at full strength? I'm not convinced.

The Dutch also made two further substitutions in the second half - one before we equalised (54 minutes) and one later on (78 minutes). They looked far, far worse as a result of their changes, whereas we looked much better. Credit to Capello for changing the side with the subs we made, but Holland looked rubbish second half.

Oh I see, the Dutch changes made them worse, but England changes made us better. Bit of an assumption there I feel.
I would say if England were at full strength, we could beat a full strength Holland, yes.
A full strength England v Spain, now that would be a tougher call, but I would say we would have a decent chance, just ask USA!

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:42 pm

England subs:

- Defoe for Heskey. We know who is the better goal-getter.

- Bridge for Cole - Cole is obviously better but Bridge has always been an adequate deputy.

- Barry for Carrick - Not bad when you can bring on a Champions' League winner.

- Cole for Rooney - The only true gap in quality change.

- S.W.P for Beckham - A guy who is not turning up trees in the MLS replaced by a guy in good form for Man. City.

- Milner for Young - Like for like form-wise though pace is on Young's side

Holland Subs:

- Huntelaar for Kuyt - Even KC would say that Huntelaar is a step up from Kuyt.

- Babel for V. Persie - A guy the top clubs in the world would want replaced by a man resigned to head back to Holland.

- Afellay for Robben - A guy who hasn't played out of Holland in Europe replaced by a guy who has won leagues in Spain and England and may do it in Germany.

- Mendes Da Silva for Schaars - Like for like and teammates at AZ.

I agree with Exile - a petulant little boy.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:44 pm

Shame you can't get them to change the subs, eh, Simple?

For what it's worth it'll be a tough one Wednesday but Fabio will get us through it. 2-0.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:48 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:Oh I see, the Dutch changes made them worse, but England changes made us better. Bit of an assumption there I feel.

Not really an assumption, more of an opinion. It was one shared by the commentators during the game and the pundits after it (not that that means a great deal). It was also shared by many football journalists reporting the game. I'd get some links if I could be bothered, but I'm cooking and something smells like it's bur

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:12 pm

SUPER FRANK!
1-0!
Theres only one Frank Lampard!

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:20 pm

2-0
Maze will give us the World Cup now!

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:19 pm

SUPER FRANK!
3-0!
Theres only one Frank Lampard!

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:39 pm

Croatia are crap. They cant defend against pace.

Lampard has been top notch, Lennon my Motm.

Heskey put in a shift, but you can tell he ay good enough no more. carlton cole is a better option for me.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:41 pm

latviancheese wrote:Croatia are crud. They cant defend against pace.

Heskey put in a shift, but you can tell he ay good enough no more. carlton cole is a better option for me.

Oh Yes.
Super Frank is top notch alright!

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:45 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
latviancheese wrote:Croatia are crud. They cant defend against pace.

Oh Yes.
Super Frank is top notch alright!

Super Steve Gerrard - two goals (no need to take a penalty to get one :mrgreen: ).

Actually, joking aside, I think Capello has the magic touch - Gerrard and Lampard in the same team and getting two goals each! Marvellous!

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:08 am

Manchester Saddler wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:Super Frank is top notch alright!

Super Steve Gerrard - two goals (no need to take a penalty to get one :mrgreen: ).

Actually, joking aside, I think Capello has the magic touch - Gerrard and Lampard in the same team and getting two goals each! Marvellous!

I agree. Look's like they can play together after all. :roll:

Only one Frank Lampard? Thank Christ for that. If I have to watch another super slo-mo of him pointing up to the nearest Boeing 747 again, I think I'll vomit.

Played well though.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:14 am

King Crimson wrote:
Manchester Saddler wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:Super Frank is top notch alright!

I agree. Look's like they can play together after all. :roll:

Only one Frank Lampard? Thank Christ for that. If I have to watch another super slo-mo of him pointing up to the nearest Boeing 747 again, I think I'll vomit.

Played well though.

Of course Gerrard and Lampard can play together.
Did people honestly expect bafoons like Sven and McClown to find a way?

Tell you what though, although us England fans go into every tournement with high expectations, I think next year, we do seriously have a chance.
We obviously need to sort a few positions out, but I am sure every team will have a weakness next year.
And I certainly wouldnt swop Capello for anyone else, the bloke is a genius.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:35 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:Tell you what though, although us England fans go into every tournement with high expectations, I think next year, we do seriously have a chance.
We obviously need to sort a few positions out, but I am sure every team will have a weakness next year.

I really hope you're right. What we need though, in my opinion, is to keep our best eleven fit and playing together well. I'm not sure how much depth we have in some areas.

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:01 am

King Crimson wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:Tell you what though, although us England fans go into every tournement with high expectations, I think next year, we do seriously have a chance.

I really hope you're right. What we need though, in my opinion, is to keep our best eleven fit and playing together well. I'm not sure how much depth we have in some areas.

I agree too, with the proviso that we say this almost every time!

I take back (most of) what I said about Lumpard too. Looks like he's hit a rich vein of form for England - here's hoping the overpaid pansy can carry it through to next Summer. :wink:

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:04 am

King Crimson wrote:

I am quite happy midfield wise and attack wise in all honesty.
The concerns are the defence, especially right back, when we have a decent winger attacking that region.
Central defence sometimes seem to get in a mess as well, I would much prefer Upson and Ferdinand with JT rather than Lescott. I just dont believe Lescott as the quality.

Evo Boozy Saddler
Glitterati

Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:17 am

Cracking performance last night. Played well, and Croatia just couldn't handle it. Chuffed we have qualified with games to spare, and looking at the other groups, some of the usual suspects won't be at the World Cup, so a decent draw in December could be heading our way.

Aaron Lennon was immense, and a few more performances like that in South Africa, and I might be sticking me Monopoly board with his autograph on, on Ebay :D

Well done lads from a very proud Englishman 8)

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:22 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

I am quite happy midfield wise and attack wise in all honesty.
The concerns are the defence, especially right back, when we have a decent winger attacking that region.
Central defence sometimes seem to get in a mess as well, I would much prefer Upson and Ferdinand with JT rather than Lescott. I just dont believe Lescott as the quality.

I'd agree with that, although I think some of the criticism of Johnson is a little unfair. He's reasonable defensively, and offers creativity when we have the ball. Modern fullbacks are increasingly seen in that mould, as they're often the only players who can find space in the modern game (4-4-2). Bottom line is I think he'll be more of an asset than a liability. He'll chip in with the odd goal and assist (like the one last night). I don't think Ashley Cole and him are too dis-similar to be honest.

We don't have all that many full-backs to choose from.

Next
Return to England Highs & Lows