Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

England cvs Croatia

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Re: England cvs Croatia

Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:50 am

Evo Boozy Saddler wrote:Cracking performance last night. Played well, and Croatia just couldn't handle it. Chuffed we have qualified with games to spare, and looking at the other groups, some of the usual suspects won't be at the World Cup, so a decent draw in December could be heading our way.

Aaron Lennon was immense, and a few more performances like that in South Africa, and I might be sticking me Monopoly board with his autograph on, on Ebay :D

Well done lads from a very proud Englishman 8)

Monopoly board???? I won't ask.

Agree, very good performance - just got to sort out travel to South Africa now - might be worth doing that before the rush of other nations qualify and start to book up.

Duke
Site Addict

Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:55 am

Very impressed with the job Capello is doing , thought Lampard was superb last night. at last he's performing at international level.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:03 am

King Crimson wrote:
tinned wrote:CLUELESS. Go and support someone else.

"Oh Flower of Scoooooootlaaaand, when shall we seeeeeeeeeeee............"

:mrgreen:

Not 2010, that's for sure.
:cry: :cry: :cry:

:wink:

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:39 am

Duke wrote:Very impressed with the job Capello is doing , thought Lampard was superb last night. at last he's performing at international level.

Capello has brought the best out of Lampard, because he can see the strengths he has and utilises them, unlike a certain Sven and McClown.

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:17 am

King Crimson wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:
King Crimson wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:My opinion is that England are a different team under Capello

His record in qualifiers speaks for itself, but against high quality opposition I think we're still found wanting. Against Spain (2-0 defeat) we looked short of quality, and against Holland (2-2 draw) we made errors and were helped by Dutch substitutions that significantly weakened their side. I know these were friendlies, so it's perhaps too early to judge. But it's a truism worth repeating that in order to win the World Cup, you're going to have to beat some of the very best teams in the world. Not sure we're good enough - yet.

I am sure you will agree against Spain England did not field there best 11.
We had no Green, Ferdinand/Upson, Lampard, Gerrard or Rooney. All of those 5 would be part of a first 11 now would they not?
So we had practically 1/2 of the current squad out! Against European Champions, would you not think that would make a BIG difference?

Against Holland, yes we made errors, but the Dutch made 2 half time changes nothing drastic.
Capello realised what was wrong and corrected it.

Spain also had several decent players missing. England had half their starting eleven out, but not half their squad. Serious question: do you think England are better than Spain at full strength? I'm not convinced.

The Dutch also made two further substitutions in the second half - one before we equalised (54 minutes) and one later on (78 minutes). They looked far, far worse as a result of their changes, whereas we looked much better. Credit to Capello for changing the side with the subs we made, but Holland looked rubbish second half.

We didnt have our full strength squad out against Spain at all, the starting team went as follows

James

Johnson Jagielka Terry Cole

Wright- phillips Carrick Barry Downing

Heskey Agbonglahor

Subs
D. Beckham M. Upson F. Lampard W. Bridge P. Crouch C. Cole J. Milner R. Green J. Hart A. Young

& the players out injured were : R. Ferdinand S. Gerrard L. Young W. Rooney

the team that started in spain id say IMO is alot weaker than the one that started last nite.

Oh and just too add the starting Spanish side was....

Casillas

Ramos Albiol Pique Capdevila

Iniesta Senna Alonso Xavi

Torres Villa

The best team in the world IMO rite there.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:22 am

bleed_red_n_white wrote:
We didnt have our full strength squad out against Spain at all, the starting team went as follows

Don't think anyone said we did. :?

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:25 am

King Crimson wrote:
bleed_red_n_white wrote:

Sorry bruv it was more to there point when you said Spain had serveral players out when the didnt really to be fair, they had a centre half out & that was about it

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:31 am

bleed_red_n_white wrote:
King Crimson wrote:
bleed_red_n_white wrote:

Sorry bruv it was more to there point when you said Spain had serveral players out when the didnt really to be fair, they had a centre half out & that was about it

Yep, they (Spain) certainly played a strong side, and as you point out we had some players out (Gerrard, Rooney and Ferdinand would all be regular starters normally, and would be missed). But we did choose to experiment by leaving out some others (e.g. Lampard) from the starting line-up. I didn't think we were competitive at all that night. Hypothetically, I wonder how Spain would have fared against us without, say, Iniesta and Torres (as you say, they were a starting centre-half down)? Maybe I'm being over-critical, especially after last night. Perhaps a game against Brazil will be something to look forward to - if we play a strong side and they do too.

bleed_red_n_white
Glitterati

Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:36 am

King Crimson wrote:
bleed_red_n_white wrote:
King Crimson wrote:
bleed_red_n_white wrote:

Sorry bruv it was more to there point when you said Spain had serveral players out when they didnt really to be fair, they had a centre half out & that was about it

Yep, they (Spain) certainly played a strong side, and as you point out we had some players out (Gerrard, Rooney and Ferdinand would all be regular starters normally, and would be missed). But we did choose to experiment by leaving out some others (e.g. Lampard) from the starting line-up. I didn't think we were competitive at all that night. Hypothetically, I wonder how Spain would have fared against us without, say, Iniesta and Torres (as you say, they were a starting centre-half down)? Maybe I'm being over-critical, especially after last night. Perhaps a game against Brazil will be something to look forward to - if we play a strong side and they do too.

We should be able to compete with a team like Spain IMHO, if we can find a good RB (Johnson defensively for me isnt good enough), but the rest of the side id say is good enough, lets take a look from a different perspective if you wanted to go out and buy our team, there cant be a side out there in the world (Spain agreed would be there too) worth more than ours, agreed we are an ageing side now.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:43 pm

Put anyone next to Terry who hasn't got a turn of pace and we're in trouble at the back.

Great performance from us last night however.

Duke
Site Addict

Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:58 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
Duke wrote:Very impressed with the job Capello is doing , thought Lampard was superb last night. at last he's performing at international level.

Capello has brought the best out of Lampard, because he can see the strengths he has and utilises them, unlike a certain Sven and McClown.

Capello has done a fantastic job with the entire squad , Lampard as really shined for me throughout the qualifing games.
The manager is correct we must not get carried away we will face tougher opponents in the finals, but I can't help but think under Capello England are something special.

Jockey
UTS Legend

Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:03 pm

Awesome performance.

Johnson, Terry, Lampard, Gerrard and Defoe are all better players under Capello and I honestly think (with luck of the draw) this team can finally end our wait for the most prestigious prize in football.

Dynamo Zuffle
UTS Legend

Location: In the white room with black curtains near the station.

Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:23 pm

PJD wrote:
Evo Boozy Saddler wrote:Cracking performance last night. Played well, and Croatia just couldn't handle it. Chuffed we have qualified with games to spare, and looking at the other groups, some of the usual suspects won't be at the World Cup, so a decent draw in December could be heading our way.

Aaron Lennon was immense, and a few more performances like that in South Africa, and I might be sticking me Monopoly board with his autograph on, on Ebay :D

Well done lads from a very proud Englishman 8)

Monopoly board???? I won't ask.

Agree, very good performance - just got to sort out travel to South Africa now - might be worth doing that before the rush of other nations qualify and start to book up.

Get in touch with PG Tips off the board he might be able to sort you out with a deal to South Africa.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Sun Sep 13, 2009 10:32 am

England rampant.

But sadly, later in the year we'll be knackered, get the usual bad draw and limp out in the world cup Quarters/semis.

The only question really is how many football fans will lose there lives in robberies on the streets of South Africa.

RobboH89
Glitterati

Location: Waiting for confirmation of League 1 Survival! Bring It On!

Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:57 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:England rampant.

But sadly, later in the year we'll be knackered, get the usual bad draw and limp out in the world cup Quarters/semis.

The only question really is how many football fans will lose there lives in robberies on the streets of South Africa.

I'll go for 21 please Tone

Previous
Return to England Highs & Lows