Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

England 4-0 someone else

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Exile
Jobsworth

England 4-0 someone else

Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:05 am

Such a great friendly we never had a thread. :D

saddlerken
Site Addict

Re: England 4-0 someone else

Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:57 am

had a ticket but opted for WFC

we should be beating cack like that 4 zip

wonder if we will get past the quarter finals in SA

.........out on penalties and Im going for a crying fit from Ashley Cole, John Terry and Becks

Exile
Jobsworth

Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:15 pm

..and another one now! Even better, not a friendly.

aaaae
Site Addict

Location: Beware, I bear more grudges than lonely High Court judges...

Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:12 am

Got my ticket for Wednesday night. My first game at the new Wembley, not expecting much of a match, but should be a good evening.

I thought about waiting until Walsall played at Wembley, but then thought better of it.

Exile
Jobsworth

Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:24 am

PJD wrote:Got my ticket for Wednesday night. My first game at the new Wembley, not expecting much of a match, but should be a good evening.

I thought about waiting until Walsall played at Wembley, but then thought better of it.

They way climate change is going, hell may yet freeze over! :D

saddlerken
Site Addict

Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:44 pm

PJD wrote:Got my ticket for Wednesday night. My first game at the new Wembley, not expecting much of a match, but should be a good evening.

I have my ticket but having heard the news about striking on the tube, Im having second thoughts, dow fancy getting back at 5am Thursday morning

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:31 am

saddlerken wrote:

I have my ticket but having heard the news about striking on the tube, Im having second thoughts, dow fancy getting back at 5am Thursday morning

I went, and as usual the whole thing seemed to be a lot of fuss over nothing. Drove there from Bristol, got there in three hours, got home in three hours. I've never been to Wembley before but would have expected it to take at least that long even without a tube strike.

aaaae
Site Addict

Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:25 am

Was going to go in by train, but got the coach in from Oxford instead which was great. Got there nice and early, saw the teams arrive, had a wander around the stadium. Getting out was a pain in the derriere, but I think that was more of a Wembley issue than a tube strike issue. Sitting in the coach park not moving, you have to say having a motorway right next door, like the NEC site, would make a lot of sense, but since when do the FA deal in sense?

Enjoyed the game, which didn't tell us a lot. We've got a half decent squad, Lennon was good when he came on, nice to see Beckham running the show, not quite sure how Johnson won man of the match, Ashley Cole was poor, everyone else just did their job.

Interesting comparison given the Mark Wright rumour, to make between him and Theo Walcott. Walcott displayed many of the characteristics that Wright got slaughtered for when he was with us. He looked timid, at times hid from the ball and didn't make a huge impact going forward except for the cross for Lampard's goal.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:38 am

PJD wrote:Was going to go in by train, but got the coach in from Oxford instead which was great. Got there nice and early, saw the teams arrive, had a wander around the stadium. Getting out was a pain in the derriere, but I think that was more of a Wembley issue than a tube strike issue. Sitting in the coach park not moving, you have to say having a motorway right next door, like the NEC site, would make a lot of sense, but since when do the FA deal in sense?

Enjoyed the game, which didn't tell us a lot. We've got a half decent squad, Lennon was good when he came on, nice to see Beckham running the show, not quite sure how Johnson won man of the match, Ashley Cole was poor, everyone else just did their job.

Interesting comparison given the Mark Wright rumour, to make between him and Theo Walcott. Walcott displayed many of the characteristics that Wright got slaughtered for when he was with us. He looked timid, at times hid from the ball and didn't make a huge impact going forward except for the cross for Lampard's goal.

Ashley Young I think you mean ? I agree, he needs putting on the right wing though, as he is clearly all right foot, and a much better option than Walcott in my opinion.

aaaae
Site Addict

Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:00 am

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
PJD wrote:Was going to go in by train, but got the coach in from Oxford instead which was great. Got there nice and early, saw the teams arrive, had a wander around the stadium. Getting out was a pain in the derriere, but I think that was more of a Wembley issue than a tube strike issue. Sitting in the coach park not moving, you have to say having a motorway right next door, like the NEC site, would make a lot of sense, but since when do the FA deal in sense?

Ashley Young I think you mean ? I agree, he needs putting on the right wing though, as he is clearly all right foot, and a much better option than Walcott in my opinion.

Where did I get Lennon from???? I meant Young! :lol: I didn't get to bed till 2am and I feel like I've got a hangover at the moment, although I didn't touch a drop last night, promise!!

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:51 am

PJD wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:

Where did I get Lennon from???? I meant Young! :lol: I didn't get to bed till 2am and I feel like I've got a hangover at the moment, although I didn't touch a drop last night, promise!!

An honest mistake. I like Lennon too in preference to Walcott.

I still feel they should stop sticking Gerrard on the left wing, and stick him up front behind Rooney. That's where he plays for Liverpool now, and it Would fit perfectly in to the system we now play. I didn't understand why Beckham didn't play on the right last night, because everytime a decent cross went in we scored. We didn't need anyone to take full backs on against Andora. Can't complain because we won easily, just an observation really.

aaaae
Site Addict

Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:29 am

Blazing_Saddler wrote:An honest mistake. I like Lennon too in preference to Walcott.

I still feel they should stop sticking Gerrard on the left wing, and stick him up front behind Rooney. That's where he plays for Liverpool now, and it Would fit perfectly in to the system we now play. I didn't understand why Beckham didn't play on the right last night, because everytime a decent cross went in we scored. We didn't need anyone to take full backs on against Andora. Can't complain because we won easily, just an observation really.

Couldn't agree more about Gerrard. He is wasted out wide.

Considering the amount of crosses we got in it is astonishing that Crouch barely got his head to the ball and when he did it was completely mistimed. What an old style centre forward like Mark Hateley (or even Emille Heskey) might have made from it would have been interesting.

As you say, it is harsh to criticise though.

It was also nice to see Greavsie, Armfield and co pick up there world cup medals at half time.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:36 pm

PJD wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:An honest mistake. I like Lennon too in preference to Walcott.

Couldn't agree more about Gerrard. He is wasted out wide.

Considering the amount of crosses we got in it is astonishing that Crouch barely got his head to the ball and when he did it was completely mistimed. What an old style centre forward like Mark Hateley (or even Emille Heskey) might have made from it would have been interesting.

As you say, it is harsh to criticise though.

It was also nice to see Greavsie, Armfield and co pick up there world cup medals at half time.

Obviously you wouldn't have seen it, but they interviewed Greavsie at half time. He was more bothered about how rubbish the opposition were. Think he may have had a tot :D

Crouch was poor last night, although I have often stood up for him in the past. I think he is a good player to have in the squad, but he really can't be compared to having Steven Gerrard playing up front with Rooney.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:34 pm

I did go in the end, no probs with traffic

Im afraid UEFA/FIFA need to have a look at these types of nations, there should be a pre-lim to get rid of the real rubbish, doesnt do wither nation any favours whatsoever

Most played well but then again so could I against Andorra, utter cack

Return to England Highs & Lows