Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Spain v England (friendly) 11/02/09

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
saddlerken
Site Addict

Spain v England (friendly) 11/02/09

Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:42 am

Looking forward to the game tonight, should be a decent game, 2 teams going into the game on excellent form.

Beating the Germans was great, as it always is but this will be a better indicator as to where Fabio's team is as we get nearer to SA

I think it will be 1-1

COME ON ENGLAND

Exile
Jobsworth

Re: Spain v England (friendly) 11/02/09

Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:57 am

Great. Another game I have to miss as on the road for business. Still, it's only a friendly. :D

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:43 am

Exile wrote:Great. Another game I have to miss as on the road for business. Still, it's only a friendly. :D

Have most of the 1st team mysteriously gained injuries again?

saddlerken
Site Addict

Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:48 am

SaddlerSteve wrote:
Exile wrote:Great. Another game I have to miss as on the road for business. Still, it's only a friendly. :D

Have most of the 1st team mysteriously gained injuries again?

Quite telling really! England players drop out but Spain players desperate to play (Torres for exmaple against Rafa's wishes)

Not sure whether it says more about Rafa's inept team selection

cal's a saddler
UTS Regular

Wed Feb 11, 2009 7:45 pm

Cant be bothered really going to watch the BBC's Nature's Greatest Events instead!

saddlerken
Site Addict

Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:37 pm

cal's a saddler wrote:Cant be bothered really going to watch the BBC's Nature's Greatest Events instead!

yga

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:09 pm

Dont normally bother with england, but im watching this one.

Think it will be a decent game for a friendly.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:25 pm

latviancheese wrote:Dont normally bother with england, but im watching this one.

Think it will be a decent game for a friendly.

Its started well.
Very impressive start from England.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:51 pm

Spain are awesome at keeping the ball, they got a bit of luck with the goal. But i dont think England are playing badly. The midfield doesnt get forward enough, when the strikers have the ball theres no support at the moment.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:55 pm

Absolutely. Barry, Carrick and Downing (no surprise there) are not in the game.
Glen Johnsons positioning at times is dire.
Lets bring on Super Frank!

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:00 pm

latviancheese wrote:Spain are awesome at keeping the ball, they got a bit of luck with the goal. But i dont think England are playing badly. The midfield doesnt get forward enough, when the strikers have the ball theres no support at the moment.

Was the luck the bit when Cappelo wrote Jagielka's name on the team sheet?

If we think that a side with him, David James and Glen Johnson in the back five (even in the back five for the reserves) is going to compete for major international honours then we're still deluding ourselves (and that's before we consider that Torres and Villa are on a different planet to any of our options up front).

We're a different side to under McClaren - and we've played ok so far tonight. Back to being a quarter final side at the big tournaments. But we're a long, long way away from being any better than that - and that's down to players, not management.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:06 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:
latviancheese wrote:Spain are awesome at keeping the ball, they got a bit of luck with the goal. But i dont think England are playing badly. The midfield doesnt get forward enough, when the strikers have the ball theres no support at the moment.

Was the luck the bit when Cappelo wrote Jagielka's name on the team sheet?

If we think that a side with him, David James and Glen Johnson in the back five (even in the back five for the reserves) is going to compete for major international honours then we're still deluding ourselves (and that's before we consider that Torres and Villa are on a different planet to any of our options up front).

I agree certainly, Glen Johnson is decent going forward but hes about as good as Chris palmer defensivly. Jagielka is a decent player, but against the like of Villa he will be shown up.

torres and villa? Got to be the best pairing in the world(internationally) surely?

Why is James playing? Isnt he 39? Both Carson and Kirkland are just as good as him, and younger.

Carrick is anonymous, and i didnt even notice Wright Philips is playing. Heskey and Agbonlahor showing decent enough signs, but no edge.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:08 pm

I just see we have brought on the most Overrated piece of twaddle in premier league history. :roll:

Sheringham says hes mr consistent, :lol: f*** offfffff, Jimmy Walker should be playing for england if hes good enough.

Major tournaments with Green in goal, id pee my pants.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:57 pm

the ref is awful. But so are england. No ideas. Peter Crouch is useless. He cant even head a ball and hes 6ft 7.

Great too see Beckham ranting in spanish at the referee :D

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:20 am

Well, we learned a lot from that! 4 4 2 against the top teams? Forget it. Spain played 4 1 3 2 and completely swamped Barry and Carrick. The two full backs then pushed up on our wingers and crowded them out, while Senna covered his centre backs and Heskey and Agbonlahor never got a kick. Meanwhile, Terry and Jagielka proved they are too much alike and neither had the pace to cope with the movement and pace of the Spanish forwards. The result? they kept the ball when we just couldn't. Technically, we were totally outclassed, albeit by a very, very good footballing side.

(Oh, and, in an example of what is wrong with British football, the game was being criticised on Talk Sh!te this morning for being "boring". Apparently, we needed to "get the ball forward quicker" :lol: )

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:15 am

Well, in that case, I agree with TalkSport. Spain were very, very good at passing the ball sideways and backwards, but the goals aren't at the side of the pitch. Were it not for mistakes by Jagielka (for the first goal) and Upson (twice, for the second goal) - two inexperienced players at this level - Spain would have been restricted to a handful of long-range efforts. And a lot of tedious training ground prettiness in between, which was pleasing on the eye but extremely easy to defend.

The reason why our 4-4-2 wasn't effective offensively was because we didn't play to our strengths. You need to get the ball forward early - either into Heskey to play off him or into the channels for Agbonlahor to use his pace and isolate a defender. Along with that, you need to give the ball to the wide players, who should have space to press the full-backs and stop them bombing forward. We tried to play them at their own game and we're not good enough technically to do that. Doesn't mean we're not a good team, just means our strengths are in different areas.

I wouldn't write off Jagielka yet - it was his first start after all. But there were some players last night who showed they are good back-up options (Johnson, Downing, Crouch) but shouldn't be near the team when we play a top side. Also, an England team short of its best defender, best midfielder and best striker isn't going to be firing on all cylinders. That said, I'm sure Capello learnt much, much more from last night than he will do in the pointless exercises that are home friendlies with Slovakia and Slovenia this year.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:23 am

Neil, why on earth do you listen to footballers who know nothing whatsoever about football?

Footballers are thick, any intelligent ones go into management, the rest go into the media and ruin football matches, TV and radio

I really cant understand the appeal of talk sport

Cliche central! Everything is "massive" and everything about the game has to have "pace"

Back to the game, we were outplayed, no shame in that with Spain in Spain, planty to be learnt, and we were missing some very influential players, they looked pretty much full strength, needs to be taken into context rather than the usual insane ramblings about how cack we are from the media and fans alike

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:21 am

Watched the game last night and won't say we were bad, just Spain were better.

They moved the ball around well but you have to think that that (barring their centreback pair) were the Spanish first team.

We had Ferdinand, Gerrard, Cole, Brown/Neville and Rooney not on the pitch and i'm sure you'll all agree that they're better than their teammates in the positions.

Their front six is as good as anything the world can throw at another team and for bar the Jagielka mistake and poor defending from Upson they would have been restricted to the pretty stuff around the middle as said above.

Can't complain about the result.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:12 pm

saddlerken wrote:Neil, why on earth do you listen to footballers who know nothing whatsoever about football?

Footballers are thick, any intelligent ones go into management, the rest go into the media and ruin football matches, TV and radio

Cliche central! Everything is "massive" and everything about the game has to have "pace"

Back to the game, we were outplayed, no shame in that with Spain in Spain, planty to be learnt, and we were missing some very influential players, they looked pretty much full strength, needs to be taken into context rather than the usual insane ramblings about how cack we are from the media and fans alike

People like Neil listen to tv and radio so much because they need someone to form their opinion, rather then do it himself.
Mainly because of their lack of knowledge of the game.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Thu Feb 12, 2009 1:34 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
saddlerken wrote:Neil, why on earth do you listen to footballers who know nothing whatsoever about football?

People like Neil listen to tv and radio so much because they need someone to form their opinion, rather then do it himself.

Surely I've got you for that?

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Thu Feb 12, 2009 5:45 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:

Surely rather than forming opinions on football, Sheff should actually be pulling his finger out and trying to expose Wendy?

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:52 am

Fray Bentos is God! wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:

Surely rather than forming opinions on football, Sheff should actually be pulling his finger out and trying to expose Wendy?

He would but he can't produce the goods he promised.

Cue a post from Sheff telling us to get a life, maybe calling us sad people, comparing us to children............and completely avoiding the issue but spouting lots of rubbish before finally ending in FACT. :mrgreen:

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Fri Feb 20, 2009 10:14 pm

First time I have been on since the game.

To those who say "I'm not bothered about England" Shame on you. If you like football and you are English, It's a no brainer.

Any how the game. Quite simple, They are just better than us. They have better players all over the pitch. We couldn't get near them after the first 20 minutes. That said , we created a couple of good chances, and were sloppy for both goals, more so the second which was shocking at that level. So the job is a simple one when we meet them in the World Cup. Cut out the mistakes, and take the chances when they come along. If only it was that simple.

Return to England Highs & Lows