Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

England v Germany (friendly) 19/11

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Re: England v Germany (friendly) 19/11

Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:00 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:Anyway, back to the performance.
5 in a row for Capello.
And I must admit, I love watching England again.

We're playing pretty well at the moment - which is really good to see. Just need to keep their feet on the ground now. Overconfidence has been more of a problem over the years than the recent lack of it.

But when was the last time England won 5 on the trot?
I dont think overconfidence will be a problem whatsoever, Capello is too good for that to happen,

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:07 am

I love Sheff's posts when Chelsea players turn out for England. Thank heavens they can do no wrong, or we'd be losing every match! :mrgreen:

Duke
Site Addict

Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:30 am

Always nice to beat the Germans :D

Very impressive performance, Johnson looks excellent , Wright Phillips and Upson impressed.

I hope these fringe players keep their places when the so called big players are fit.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:54 am

All this shows is just how bad a manager Mclaren was/is, and how good a manager Capello is.

Mclaren was, in my view, wholly responsible for us not reaching Euro 2008, and Barwick and whoever else were involved in his appointment should also be sacked.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:59 am

philthesaddler wrote:Mclaren was, in my view, wholly responsible for us not reaching Euro 2008, and Barwick and whoever else were involved in his appointment should also be sacked.

A point I've been making since we appointed mcClown

Barwick is leaving but yes he should have been sacked a long time ago

KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:36 am

I'm just hoping that Gerrard and Lumpard don't walk straight back into the team.

Imo, we should start the next game, if injuries allow, with the exact starting line up as this one.

BathSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Nov 20, 2008 3:47 pm

KJC wrote:I'm just hoping that Gerrard and Lumpard don't walk straight back into the team.

Imo, we should start the next game, if injuries allow, with the exact starting line up as this one.

It's unlikely, but I agree with your sentiment. A couple of friendlies are to come, however, so a few of them may well retain their place. Wright-Phillips and Downing were magnificent, but it was true team effort.The way we kept attacking at pace was a joy to behold.

Duke
Site Addict

Thu Nov 20, 2008 4:23 pm

BathSaddler wrote:
KJC wrote:I'm just hoping that Gerrard and Lumpard don't walk straight back into the team.

It's unlikely, but I agree with your sentiment. A couple of friendlies are to come, however, so a few of them may well retain their place. Wright-Phillips and Downing were magnificent, but it was true team effort.The way we kept attacking at pace was a joy to behold.

Good point about Downing , never rated him till last night .

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:16 pm

Duke wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:

Actually, I thought he was far better than Wright-Phillips, on the basis that he always seemed to get a cross in, even if a not very good one at times. The little one produced too little end product for me, even though some of it was high quality.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:57 am

I see terry said he WAS to blame for the cock up, what you got to say about that sheff? I agree he made up for it though.

And Capello is a winner, we will win a major tournament for england i have no doubt. He just needs some balls to not play the Gerrard/Lampard midfield.

Exile
Jobsworth

Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:16 am

latviancheese wrote:I see terry said he WAS to blame for the cock up, what you got to say about that sheff?

Don't hold your breath waiting for a reply. :wink:

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:33 am

latviancheese wrote:I see terry said he WAS to blame for the cock up, what you got to say about that sheff? I agree he made up for it though.

And Capello is a winner, we will win a major tournament for england i have no doubt. He just needs some balls to not play the Gerrard/Lampard midfield.

Indeed. It should be Barry or Carrick with Lampard or Gerrard. Personally, I think Carrick/Gerrard give the most options, but there ain't much in it.

Tyldesley_saddler
UTS Legend

Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:59 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:
latviancheese wrote:I see terry said he WAS to blame for the cock up, what you got to say about that sheff? I agree he made up for it though.

Indeed. It should be Barry or Carrick with Lampard or Gerrard. Personally, I think Carrick/Gerrard give the most options, but there ain't much in it.

There is everything in it mate. Gerrard IS the better midfielder. Lampard shouldnt even be in the starting 11 !
Sorry i hate the bloke :mrgreen:

Duke
Site Addict

Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:22 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:

Agreed Gerrard and Carrick

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:43 am

pleck_saddler wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:

There is everything in it mate. Gerrard IS the better midfielder. Lampard shouldnt even be in the starting 11 !

Normally, I'd agree, but Lampard had started this season on fire, while Gerrard was, I thought, a little off form. Changing again now, though.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:23 pm

You have got to be kidding me?
Carrick in front of Super Frank or Gerrard?
Downing in front of Joe Cole?
SWP in front of Walcott?

You seem to have forgotten to take into consideration the players performances over a spell in the England team rather than 1 match against Germany.
If you are saying to me Downing is better than Joe Cole, you are deluded in the extreme.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:25 pm

Duke wrote:
BathSaddler wrote:

But you have missed the whole point. Take Downings performances in an England shirt except for last night.
The bloke is useless and hasnt the pace to cause problems at international level with quality full backs.
Any tom, dick or harry can perform a good match every 20 or so!

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:26 pm

pleck_saddler wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:

Thats probably because you have no common sense!

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:29 pm

But surely a manager (captain in this case) should except responsibilty when something goes wrong?
If I was the manager of 10 people and something went wrong and it was caused by one of the 10 people, I wouldnt point the blame on them in public.
Thats whata managers do you see, take responsibility for the work force.

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:50 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:That's what managers do, you see - take responsibility for the work force.

No, no, no, Sheff! Haven't you read the Merson & Mullen handbook of team management? You should always slag off your players, in public, while never admitting any responsibility, yourself! :mrgreen:

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:30 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:

SWP in front of Walcott?

You seem to have forgotten to take into consideration the players performances over a spell in the England team rather than 1 match against Germany.
If you are saying to me Downing is better than Joe Cole, you are deluded in the extreme.

The point is Sheff, the team had more balance the other night. Sure Joe Cole is a better player than Downing, but the best team must be picked not the best players. Same as the Lampard Gerrard situation, they clearly don't play well together,it has been tried to death now. I prefer Gerrard to Lampard myself, but it is one or the other in my opinion, I have no problem if it is Lampard, Gerrard would only have himself to blame. The players that played the other night, looked like they really wanted to win the game and that is something that I haven't seen to often over recent years, especiallly in freindlies.

I thought Carrick was excellent the other night, I don't see why he should be automaticly dropped because Gerrard and Lampard become available, more to the point, I don't think Cappello see's it that way either. Good on him.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:55 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:

SWP in front of Walcott?

The point is Sheff, the team had more balance the other night. Sure Joe Cole is a better player than Downing, but the best team must be picked not the best players. Same as the Lampard Gerrard situation, they clearly don't play well together,it has been tried to death now. I prefer Gerrard to Lampard myself, but it is one or the other in my opinion, I have no problem if it is Lampard, Gerrard would only have himself to blame. The players that played the other night, looked like they really wanted to win the game and that is something that I haven't seen to often over recent years, especiallly in freindlies.

I thought Carrick was excellent the other night, I don't see why he should be automaticly dropped because Gerrard and Lampard become available, more to the point, I don't think Cappello see's it that way either. Good on him.

Absolutely spot on

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:15 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:

SWP in front of Walcott?

I also think you must look at previous international apperances and current form.
If you think Downing is ahead of Cole in any of those, you are deluded.
Same can be said of SWP v Walcott, and not so much be Ferdinand v Upson.
Its alright say Downing was good against Germany, but overall at International level he has been useless.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:30 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:

SWP in front of Walcott?

I also think you must look at previous international apperances and current form.
If you think Downing is ahead of Cole in any of those, you are deluded.
Same can be said of SWP v Walcott, and not so much be Ferdinand v Upson.
Its alright say Downing was good against Germany, but overall at International level he has been useless.

And the number of time all of those have played well together for England? In fact, are there any? That's the point, it is about the best team, not necessarly the best individuals.

Tyldesley_saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:43 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
pleck_saddler wrote:
Neil Ravenscroft wrote:

Thats probably because you have no common sense!

No common sense just for not liking a certain player, who in my opinion never delivers for the national team !!
Typical narrow mindedness of a Chelski hanger on !!!

Previous
Return to England Highs & Lows