Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

England V Belarus 15/10/08

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Wendy Mumford
UTS Veteran

England V Belarus 15/10/08

Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:20 pm

PM me for live link

x x x x x

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Re: England V Belarus live

Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:38 pm

Or pop round my house....I have Vodka and Red Bull xxxx

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:44 pm

Cracking strike by Gerrard

Wendy Mumford
UTS Veteran

Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:40 pm

winning 2- 1
great work by heskey

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:06 pm

Good win in the end, though Belarus made England look very ordinary for large amounts of the first half. Cracking goal from Gerrard (but oh how I laughed when he hit the post late), and two well-worked pieces to get Rooney his finishes. Not sure Crouch did anything when he came on, and as the commentators regularly pointed out, we were weak down the left. Think the defence missed Terry too.

Nice to see Northern Ireland getting some points.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Re: England V Belarus 15/10/08

Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:10 pm

great result :D

Good to see Gerrard playing well

Fabio's barmy army

tinned
Site Addict

Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:43 pm

I keep telling people that my interest levels in England are at an all time low. Didn't realise just how low until I read this thread ..... I'd TOTALLY forgot they were playing.

Only a couple of years ago I'd have been desperately trying to find somewhere that was showing the game, now I don't even realise they're playing. I used to shake my head in disbelief at grown men doing other things other than watching the games, now I'm one of them.

:o

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:49 pm

Exile wrote:Good win in the end, though Belarus made England look very ordinary for large amounts of the first half. Cracking goal from Gerrard (but oh how I laughed when he hit the post late), and two well-worked pieces to get Rooney his finishes. Not sure Crouch did anything when he came on, and as the commentators regularly pointed out, we were weak down the left. Think the defence missed Terry too.

Nice to see Northern Ireland getting some points.

Hardly surprising given that we decided not to bother posting any players on that side of the pitch! :wink:

Three points away from home: job done. :D

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:38 pm

tinned wrote:I keep telling people that my interest levels in England are at an all time low. Didn't realise just how low until I read this thread ..... I'd TOTALLY forgot they were playing.

Only a couple of years ago I'd have been desperately trying to find somewhere that was showing the game, now I don't even realise they're playing. I used to shake my head in disbelief at grown men doing other things other than watching the games, now I'm one of them.

*shakes head in disbelief*

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:26 am

Excellent result - the only downside being that, like the Saddlers, we don't seem to have much strength in depth (for Cole, Terry, Neville or Heskey). Bridge, however, looked better than Cashley, to be honest. Can't understand why he's not starting at Chelski.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:44 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Excellent result - the only downside being that, like the Saddlers, we don't seem to have much strength in depth (for Cole, Terry, Neville or Heskey). Bridge, however, looked better than Cashley, to be honest. Can't understand why he's not starting at Chelski.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

Bridge looked terrible to me! Like he hadn't kicked a ball in anger for months (not surprising since he hasn't). He barely managed to get a pass to another England player all night and that ridiculous flying slide tackle just before the cross for the Belarus goal (in which he took himself out of the play altogether and gave the guy all the time in the world to put his cross perfectly on the goalscorer's head) was as bad as anything I've seen Roberts or Smith do for us this season.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:27 am

But I can't see what Cole adds to the equation at the moment. He's curbed his attacking instincts under Mourinho, who seemed to hate his full backs getting forward, which was easily the best part of his game.

A lot of Bridge's problems for me, were in the first half and caused by the lack of cover in front of him - just as Wes Brown wasn't helped by Walcott's complete absence for the goal - it was Theo's man who scored.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:34 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:But I can't see what Cole adds to the equation at the moment. He's curbed his attacking instincts under Mourinho, who seemed to hate his full backs getting forward, which was easily the best part of his game.

A lot of Bridge's problems for me, were in the first half and caused by the lack of cover in front of him - just as Wes Brown wasn't helped by Walcott's complete absence for the goal - it was Theo's man who scored.

You're right about Bridge to a point - but he made individual errors too and giving the ball away when in possession was down to his own rustiness, not to others.

As for the goal, I had a similar discussion with my mate in the pub last night. He reckons it was Theo's man who scored (technically it probably was), I think that Wes Brown was far too narrow and that if he'd been in the right position then he'd have been picking up the goalscorer earlier and the cross couldn't have gone over his head (not helped by his appearance of ducking - although I suspect he couldn't have reached it anyway). If you look at the replay of the goal, when Belarus are playing it around on the edge of the box (a pass or two before Bridge sells himself) you can throw a blanket over England's entire back four and the two central midfielders - they're all within about 2 yards of the D. Two passes take all six of them out of the game - and then a cross to the back post results in a free header. I imagine Capello's told them to stay compact when they don't have the ball - but that's really taking it too far!!

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:10 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:But I can't see what Cole adds to the equation at the moment. He's curbed his attacking instincts under Mourinho, who seemed to hate his full backs getting forward, which was easily the best part of his game.

I take it you havent seen any Chelsea games this season then or highlights?
You will see that Scolari is a BIG believer in wing backs, hence why Cole is enjoying life again.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:13 am

tinned wrote:I keep telling people that my interest levels in England are at an all time low. Didn't realise just how low until I read this thread ..... I'd TOTALLY forgot they were playing.

If I was you Mr Roe, I would start watching them again.
We are a different team under Capello then the previous 2 numpties.
We actually play as a team now, all the players know what their job is and we are going places at last.
And we have a lot more to come under Capello, after such a short time the difference is remarkable.

ws3
Glitterati

Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:01 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:

We actually play as a team now, all the players know what their job is and we are going places at last.
And we have a lot more to come under Capello, after such a short time the difference is remarkable.

Totally agree. I lost interest for a while as well but now there seems to be a belief and a desire to kill teams off instead of just winning.

Evo Boozy Saddler
Glitterati

Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:15 pm

Went with tape, and a couple of pals to watch it in the pub, and it was a very pleasant evening.

Wasn't too concerned when the equaliser went in, as I always felt we would have enough in reserve to finish the job off.

Crackin away win, things are looking good, it's just a shame that we got to wait until April Fools Day for the next qualifier.

Concerned about the threat of Ukraine, who I think are about 20th in the rankings, but I still think we should be able to do a job on them, especially as we have them at home first :)

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:45 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:

Such short memories. We were like that under Sven in competitive games, hence why we got to the final stages of tournaments with our overpaid bunch of nancy boys thinking they only have to turn up to win.

One thing I would savy for Capello is that he seems to have put some discipline back in and made the donuts realise they've got to work hard to do well. Even Rio Ferdinand sounds professional listening to him on the radio. :shock:

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:51 pm

Evo Boozy Saddler wrote:it's just a shame that we got to wait until April Fools Day for the next qualifier.

Curse that language filter. :wink:

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:14 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:

Such short memories. We were like that under Sven in competitive games, hence why we got to the final stages of tournaments with our overpaid bunch of nancy boys thinking they only have to turn up to win.

One thing I would savy for Capello is that he seems to have put some discipline back in and made the donuts realise they've got to work hard to do well. Even Rio Ferdinand sounds professional listening to him on the radio. :shock:

Like that under Sven? You must be kidding!
We scored in the 1st minute and defended for the other 89. That was Sven.
With Capello, we score in 1st minute and continue to attack to get another.
MAJOR DIFFERENCE and the reason we never won anything with Sven.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:11 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:

Really? Early results under Sven....

2001 28 Feb Birmingham Spain F W 3-0
2001 24 Mar Liverpool Finland WCQ W 2-1
200128 Mar Tirana Albania WCQ W 3-1
2001 25 May Derby Mexico F W 4-0
2001 6 June Athens Greece WCQ W 2-0

That was before the over expectant English public and press got their teeth stuck in with all their usual contstant negativity which affects results as much as the manager. Let's see how long Capello can keep the run together and if we win anything under Capello before you stick to your last sentence. I hope we do, but I think it's unlikely because we're just not as good as people think we are, and it's nothing to do with the manager.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:17 am

Magic Man Fan wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:
Magic Man Fan wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:

Really? Early results under Sven....

2001 28 Feb Birmingham Spain F W 3-0
2001 24 Mar Liverpool Finland WCQ W 2-1
200128 Mar Tirana Albania WCQ W 3-1
2001 25 May Derby Mexico F W 4-0
2001 6 June Athens Greece WCQ W 2-0

That was before the over expectant English public and press got their teeth stuck in with all their usual contstant negativity which affects results as much as the manager. Let's see how long Capello can keep the run together and if we win anything under Capello before you stick to your last sentence. I hope we do, but I think it's unlikely because we're just not as good as people think we are, and it's nothing to do with the manager.

Sven must be the most wrongly maligned manager in history, because you are so right. It's the Press and the Press alone that formulates opinion on the national team and they (and a great percentage of the football pundit industry) had the knives in his back, purely because they didn't want a foreigner (and the London centric view doesn't help). Capello, fortunately, has it slightly easier thanks to the disaster that was McClaren, but they will turn again, probably for no good reason - there are plenty of sarcastic references to his salary about, for example, if you look for them.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:30 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Sven must be the most wrongly maligned manager in history, because you are so right. It's the Press and the Press alone that formulates opinion on the national team and they (and a great percentage of the football pundit industry) had the knives in his back, purely because they didn't want a foreigner (and the London centric view doesn't help). Capello, fortunately, has it slightly easier thanks to the disaster that was McClaren, but they will turn again, probably for no good reason - there are plenty of sarcastic references to his salary about, for example, if you look for them.

Spot on - and it's starting already with Capello. The results are keeping the tide of xenophobia back - but only just. Take this from the Mail on Monday:

Jeff Powell wrote:Further camouflage comes with results which are as deceptive as they are welcome.

However, neither the 4-3-3 formation with which Capello kicked off nor the 4-2-4 to which he switched for the second half really worked.

Perhaps it is asking too much of a foreign manager to understand that allowing Beckham to slip through this back door into the pantheon of Moore, Charlton and Wright is an insult to these giants of English football.

So, winning games is just "camouflage" for the real problems according to Powell - and here was me thinking that results were all that mattered. The formation that resulted in five second half goals against Kazakhstan "didn't really work" and he searches long and hard before alighting on Beckham winning his 106th cap as a reason to slip in some blatant xenophobia.

The press desperately want England to fail - no matter what journalists claim when they appear on the TV or radio. And we should all remember that when we read reports on international games or players.

Exile
Jobsworth

Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:24 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:The press desperately want England to fail - no matter what journalists claim when they appear on the TV or radio

That's the biggest problem England has. It's own press are it's own worst enemies. Not just in sport.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:20 am

Stunning

A good point

But someone ready the efin thing

Why does anyone read the sports pages of ANY paper? They are all complete terrrrrrwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaattttttttttssss

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:27 pm

saddlerken wrote:Stunning

A good point

But someone ready the efin thing

Why does anyone read the sports pages of ANY paper? They are all complete terrrrrrwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaattttttttttssss

In fairness, I didn't actually read the Mail - but stole the quotes from Football365!! :wink:

Return to England Highs & Lows