Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

The Baby Bentley generation

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
King Crimson
Poet Laureate

The Baby Bentley generation

Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:53 am

...were alive (just) and well, and playing for the Under-21s against Wales at Villa Park last night. Having won the first leg of the play-off (3-2 with away goals counting), the Prem Prima Donnas I think assumed that it was 'job done'. We scored fairly early (Tom Huddlestone direct from a free kick), then sat back and watched a very average Wales team (with the exception of Arron Ramsey, who was pure class all night) dominate and score two goals in the space of 10 minutes. We scrambled an equaliser before half time.

Second half saw a Huddlestone red card for a foul, and we spent the last twenty minutes trying to stave off a goal that would have resulted in extra time.

It was clear that some lads from Wrexham, Oldham and Walsall reserves (Bradley played the last 20 mins) were more committed, passionate and effective than those from the top clubs who didn't put in a shift. :evil:

saddlerken
Site Addict

Re: The Baby Bentley generation

Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:39 am

a tad harsh there KC, we have qualified haven't we

have your go when we fail at the tournement

don't forget that when better teams play minnows the lesser teams put that little extra in, not withstanding the Welsh pipping France to the top of their group
[url]
http://www.uefa.com/competitions/under2 ... index.html[/url]

You have heard of the cup shock haven't you?

Also, despite our under 21's playing for some prem sides, I dont think the quality of that age group is as it once was

Congratulations to Stuart Pearce and the under 21's for qualification

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:25 am

saddlerken wrote:a tad harsh there KC, we have qualified haven't we

have your go when we fail at the tournement

don't forget that when better teams play minnows the lesser teams put that little extra in, not withstanding the Welsh pipping France to the top of their group
[url]
http://www.uefa.com/competitions/under2 ... index.html[/url]

You have heard of the cup shock haven't you?

Also, despite our under 21's playing for some prem sides, I dont think the quality of that age group is as it once was

Congratulations to Stuart Pearce and the under 21's for qualification

We were casual and very nearly lost, at home to a team with few players of even Championship calibre. I'm delighted we qualified, but everything that their manager embodies was lacking last night, ken. The best player for England was James Milner. The best player on the pitch was Ramsey.

saddlerken
Site Addict

Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:42 am

Your damned if you do and damned if you dont

The press and fans are quite rightly ridiculed for expecting England teams to just turn up and hand out a thrashing to anyone

This goes for the under 21's also

If there is any compacency at all then I'm pleased that Pearce is in charge, I dont think he'll put up with prima donnas

concretehippo

Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:43 am

Is James Milner still under 21? It feels like he's been playing for years!!

Did Bradley do enough to show that he should be back in our first team?

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:06 am

concretehippo wrote:Is James Milner still under 21? It feels like he's been playing for years!!

Did Bradley do enough to show that he should be back in our first team?

Bradley played very, very well when he came on. He was brought on as a 'fifth' midfielder, at the expense of a recognised striker. This made some sense because with Huddlestone's sending off, Wales had more opportunity to create chances from the midfield. He effectively had a free role, and showed good movement to pick up the ball from the back, on the flanks or through the middle. He had a good shot that was well saved, and made two excellent chances that could easily have been put away by a half-decent striker. I was impressed, but Bradley has always (in my view) played best in the free role as part of a five-man midfield. If we move to that system again, he should play.

Ken, I agree that Pearce will sort it, but there was an arrogant 'swagger' about England that their performance didn't merit. You could visibly see them shaken when the second Wales goal went in. It was as though they collectively 'woke up' at that point and started playing. That's not acceptable for any team, ever.

Return to England Highs & Lows