Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

England v Switzerland

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

England v Switzerland

Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:36 pm

Just in case anyone is interested in tonight's match, like.

For the record, I'm going to stick my neck out and say that by the time we get to the qualifiers in the autumn, Capello will have got us playing our best football in years. Maybe not to everyone's taste, but set up and organised like a proper national team should be. He's made a good start by not including Frank Lampard.

Exile
Jobsworth

Re: England v Switzerland

Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:12 pm

Capello's started by making the right noises. Now he just has to make them in English. :wink:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:04 pm

WEs Brown?

Dont make me larf.

RobboH89
Glitterati

Location: Waiting for confirmation of League 1 Survival! Bring It On!

Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:22 pm

latviancheese wrote:WEs Brown?

Dont make me larf.

Micah Richards every time

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:25 pm

22 minutes in and we are playing like a bunch of blokes who have had their mobile phones taken away from them :mrgreen:

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:42 pm

cyclothymic wrote:22 minutes in and we are playing like a bunch of blokes who have had their mobile phones taken away from them :mrgreen:

:)

I imagine the team talk went something like this -
England ringleaders: So what we doing boss? 4-4-2? Charge around at 100mph, do nothing, concede goals for fun, let the country down, then go out to a London nightclub and cheat on our wives/girlfriends?
Upson: Or partners.
Capello: No. You will treat the ball like it is precious. Pass and move. Stay in a rigid formation. Keep a very tight defence. Make sure your touch, vision and movement are spot on. Keep possession. Keep possession. Keep patient. Keep possession.
Pride of England: Duh?

Oooh, 1-0. Well done JJ. You're still rubbish though.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:46 pm

No doubt about it. Joe Cole is pure magic.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:47 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:No doubt about it. Joe Cole is pure magic.

Maybe he can tell Gerrard and Rooney that they are allowed to play as well for their country as they do for their clubs.

Exile
Jobsworth

Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:44 am

2-1.

Meaningless friendly. :mrgreen:

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:49 am

Meaningless BUT very encouraging. Played the way all successful international sides play - rule one: keep the ball. I just hope the crowd lets us play that way. Couldn't believe the booing and the English mentality was all summed up by the big cheer which greeted a long ball from Ferdinand (the only one of the night?) which Rooney flicked on... straight into the keeper's hands. Loved it when the caption came up and revealed England had 69% of possession (and it was probably a lot more than that by the end) and Motson said "I've never believed that having possession is important" - you and previous England managers, John, and that's why we've failed. The constant suggestion by him and Lawrenson that we can't play anything other than 4-4-2 was highly irritating, given that Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal all spend a lot of time playing precisely the formation we played yesterday. Highly-promising I thought, with fine individual performances from Joe Cole, Bentley, Rooney and Gerrard.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:06 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:No doubt about it. Joe Cole is pure magic.

I agree. Glad to hear the commentators recognising his consistency for England. Another fine display. Lots of nerves out there early on, but I also agree with RS that Bentley, Rooney and Gerrard made good contributions.

Wes Brown. Why? ****choking to get the words out**** We need you, Gary Neville.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:31 am

King Crimson wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:I also agree with RS that Bentley, Rooney and Gerrard made good contributions.

I think you'll find that was BF rather than RS.

I didn't think Rooney and Gerrard played particularly well. They, more than anyone, thought they were part of 'old England' and we saw the same old grandstanding - either trying to score a flash goal or play a 60-yard through ball. It doesn't have to be the spectacular every time. Rooney also missed three gilt-edged chances. That said, they are still our two most talented players but I think they have to start showing it consistently on the international stage, as Joe Cole does match after match.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:23 am

Registered Saddler wrote:
King Crimson wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:I also agree with RS that Bentley, Rooney and Gerrard made good contributions.

I think you'll find that was BF rather than RS.

I didn't think Rooney and Gerrard played particularly well. They, more than anyone, thought they were part of 'old England' and we saw the same old grandstanding - either trying to score a flash goal or play a 60-yard through ball. It doesn't have to be the spectacular every time. Rooney also missed three gilt-edged chances. That said, they are still our two most talented players but I think they have to start showing it consistently on the international stage, as Joe Cole does match after match.

Apologies RS. I should have known the post was too good to have been yours! :wink:

I thought both improved second half, and Gerrard did have a hand in both goals. For me, the players who failed to show much were Upson, Brown, Barry (disappointingly, because I actually like him as a player), and A Cole (change your studs - you can afford it!).

russwfc

Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:40 am

I personally thought that Rooney was very good, he was absolutely everywhere on the pitch. His work rate is fantastic and he always looks capable of doing something special.

Obviously this is a new system and the team is gonna take a while to gel but I think we can take quite a few positives out of the performances.

We always looked like we was going to win, even when they equalised I was confident we would score again. I havent felt like that watching England for a few years.

Passing was sloppy at times, but when it worked it worked well.

Bentley played brilliant but his delivery wasnt brilliant. Wright-Phillips came on and scored so he may start France game.

I loved it when Wright-Phillips and Crouch came on together. Always makes me laugh.

Return to England Highs & Lows