Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Why oh why oh why

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Why oh why oh why

Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:57 am

Have I seen no reports of anyone in the press asking John Terry the question
the Derby fans were singing at him, "Where were you on Wednesday night?".

"Captain Marvel" was apparently too injured to even be on the bench for England, yet plays 90 minutes for Chelsea three days later.

Brum

Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:16 am

does he look the sort of player to skive an england game? he's publicly spoken out, saying it came 24 or 48 hours too soon. why are people so cynical? i guess you'd have been one of those booing the players yesterday

Duke
Site Addict

Re: Why oh why oh why

Sun Nov 25, 2007 11:58 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Have I seen no reports of anyone in the press asking John Terry the question

"Captain Marvel" was apparently too injured to even be on the bench for England, yet plays 90 minutes for Chelsea three days later.

makes you wonder , Owen and Rooney both missed the weekend games , having said that I've no idea what kind of injury Terry had perhaps 48 hours made the difference.

jnks

Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:09 pm

He did train with the England team, so he was nearing a return to action, but wasn't quite ready. I'm pretty sure there'd have been another thread on here asking Why Oh Why did John Terry play when he wasn't 100% fit if he'd played and had a shocker.

sid swifty
Glitterati

Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:33 pm

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Have I seen no reports of anyone in the press asking John Terry the question

Dont jump to conclusions Neil....he could have had an apppointment with his accountant or something.... :D

latviancheese
Site Addict

Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:12 pm

Same with owen Hargreaves yesterday, not that he made much diffrence yesterday :lol:

Its miraculous the recoveries they make...

PT
Site Addict

Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:45 pm

Brum wrote:does he look the sort of player to skive an england game? he's publicly spoken out, saying it came 24 or 48 hours too soon. why are people so cynical? i guess you'd have been one of those booing the players yesterday

There was a time when a player would have walked across broken glass to play for England, let alone captain them in a vital game. Given that he's been out for so long I doubt very much that the injury would have gone from unplayable to fit in less than 72 hours. If he was anywhere near the man, feeling anywhere near the pride of a Terry Butcher, a Tony Adams or a Bobby Moore then the medical team would had to have tied him down and sedated him to stop him playing on Wednesday (he doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as those three).

But no, this is 2007 and a bloke who has been out for 7 weeks just knows that the Wednesday is "too soon" whilst Saturday is fine. The photos in todays papers of him being legless only a few weeks ago also suggest that he wasn't too injured to dance (badly- I haven't posted a link to the NoTW website showing him dancing - but the video on there isn't hard to find if you can be bothered) or that bothered about resting that injury to try to get himself ready in the nick of time when his country needed him. Just about sums up the modern spineless bunch of over-paid idlers who represent our country at its national game.

I wouldn't have booed him yesterday - the words "waste of breath" never so apt.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Sun Nov 25, 2007 4:35 pm

From what they were saying on the radio yesterday, Terry said he was fit and Avram Grant said he had no problem with him playing. It seems it was another great decision from McClaren to leave him out. Terry has played while carrying an injury in the past - both for Chelsea and England - but I don't see that as a grand never-say-die captain's spirit, it appears to me to be stupidity.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:14 am

Registered Saddler wrote:From what they were saying on the radio yesterday, Terry said he was fit and Avram Grant said he had no problem with him playing. It seems it was another great decision from McClaren to leave him out. Terry has played while carrying an injury in the past - both for Chelsea and England - but I don't see that as a grand never-say-die captain's spirit, it appears to me to be stupidity.

I know - and I also know what's been said, and it is the likely explanation - but the question was, why has no one in the Press actually asked him? Are they too frightened of upsetting one of their favourites?

As for the whole booing question - for once I was in favour. I have never, ever, booed any player as I think it is counter productive - but those over paid prima donnas needed to be told what England fans really thought. There was Owen asking in the paper at the weekend which of the Croatian team would walk into the England side, not realising that, on last Wednesday's evidence, it would be all eleven.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:30 pm

You really do take the biscuit with such complete and utter rubbish.
We are talking about John Terry here, a man that comes back from injury quicker than anyone can imagine.
A man who has always stood up and asked to be counted when the chips are down for club or country.
Just go and take your ridiculous tripe somewhere else Neil.
Because thats what is is, complete and utter tripe.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:45 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:

We are talking about John Terry here, a man that comes back from injury quicker than anyone can imagine.
A man who has always stood up and asked to be counted when the chips are down for club or country.

Crikey

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:12 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:

Gone fishin' there's a sign upon my door
Gone fishin' I ain't workin' anymore
There's my hoe out in the sun
Where I left a row half done
Hoein' ain't no fun I ain't got no ambition

Gone fishin' by a shady wady pool
Gone fishin' I'm glad that I'm that kind of fool
I'd say no more work for mine
On my door I've hang a sign
Gone fishin' instead of just a wishin'

Gone fishin' man I'm snoozin' by a brook
Gone fishin' I didn't even bait my hook
Cows need milkin' in the barn but I just don't give a darn
If you look for me I'm gone on a secret mission

Gone fishin' with those little words of mine
I'm wishin' all the world was by my side
Wish I had a plane to fly here's what I'd write there in the sky
Gone fishin' instead of just a wishin' oh yes

All too easy!

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:29 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:

More subtle than usual. The councillors must be pleased with your progress.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:10 am

SaigonSaddler wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:

More subtle than usual. The councillors must be pleased with your progress.

Doubtless, faster than a speeding bullet, can leap buildings with a single bound and wears his underpants outside of his trousers as well.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:16 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Doubtless, faster than a speeding bullet, can leap buildings with a single bound and wears his underpants outside of his trousers as well.

If I had to wear those luminous yellow away shorts the Chelsea lot were all sporting against Derby, I'd put my pants over them. :!:

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:08 am

Brum wrote:does he look the sort of player to skive an england game? he's publicly spoken out, saying it came 24 or 48 hours too soon. why are people so cynical? i guess you'd have been one of those booing the players yesterday

They deserve booing, and a lot more. Not talking about Terry alone, but every one who has played in this qualifying campaign. Disgrace the lot of them. Excusing Crouch, who only plays when we have no one else to pick,and probably Beckham the rest of them all need to take a long hard look at themselves, and ask if they are really doing their best for England. I watched Gerrard absolutely boss the game for Liverpool saturday, from the first minute to the last.

Bunch of tossers the lot of em

stefano123
UTS Regular

Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:27 am

Makes me laugh when Gerrard (on WM last night) said we are all disappointed etc etc etc... think he and the rest can handle not goin the Euro's since hes got the whole summer off to sun it up somewhere with his mrs and his mates in magluf or ayia napa some where.

Fact the players dont care about their country all they care about is the money and their glamorous lifestyle... what will winning a major intnational tournament do for them? A big fat bomuc maybe? Why do they need one of those for? Lets be honest they would rather have the time off...

tinned
Site Addict

Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:18 pm

I may have said it before, but I would stop all payments to players playing for England. I'd sort out bonuses for qualifying for major tournaments and depending on how far we progress, but just for actually playing they would get nothing. It should be a honour to play for their country. Any that they were not happy at that would be told to eff off (no matter how big the "name"). At least we'd know the ones playing were doing so because they WANT to play for their country.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:24 pm

Tinned - the England players get about £1500 per game for England, which they have all given to charity for some time.

stefano123 wrote:Makes me laugh when Gerrard (on WM last night) said we are all disappointed etc etc etc... think he and the rest can handle not goin the Euro's since hes got the whole summer off to sun it up somewhere with his mrs and his mates in magluf or ayia napa some where.

Fact the players dont care about their country all they care about is the money and their glamorous lifestyle... what will winning a major intnational tournament do for them? A big fat bomuc maybe? Why do they need one of those for? Lets be honest they would rather have the time off...

So, they don't care?! You can criticise them for it, but you can't 'make' them care if they don't. The bigger questions are:
a) WHY don't they care? My own view is that it has more to it than the rewards of club football.
b) If they don't care, WHY pick them? That question can only be answered by the manager. Nuff said.
c) Is there anyone who can make them CARE? A motivator of a coach.
Most importantly,
d)does CARING mean the difference between winning and losing at international level? Loads of posters made an excellent point about how 'passion' leads to appointments like Keegan - whereby we (and Newcastle at club level) bravely fail. If we want to win, we need to be technically and tactically better - whether we care more or not.

Return to England Highs & Lows