Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

England v Croatia

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:30 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:An absolutely gutless performance.
Only Crouch can come out with his head held high after that performance.
Barry, Lescott, Bridge, Gerrard, Beckham - None are International class.
Super Frank tried his best, but you cant do the job of the 5 people mentioned above.

You onna about super Frank Carson in goal?

Your big Frank was the big man; Took the penalty whow eee.

Suppose you'll be calling for Colon Lee to get he England managers job next.

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:31 pm

Asps wrote:
Super Frank tried his best, but you cant do the job of the 5 people mentioned above.

Colin Lee wouldn't have been much worse than the Clown. in fact he might even have been better.

Jeremy Busby
UTS Veteran

Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:31 pm

Manchester Saddler wrote:
Jeremy Busby wrote:Its all very well saying the manager must go (and i agree) but after the SGE period there was an uproar on here as to the idea of another non English appointment.

So who is it to be:

Big Sam has hardly set the world alight in Geordieland has he

There is no English manager good enough. The closest would be Martin O'Neill (Irish).

I would gladly welcome Jose Mourinho as the new Engalnd manager ...

you wont get a disagreement from me mate.

Have just seen that Russia beat be mighty Andorra by 1 to 0. Does not help ay

saddlersam
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:42 pm

Lampard was nowhere. No where. Gerrard was ok until the final third. No support to Crouch's knock downs.
Once Barry came off Gerrard was forced deep and stayed there. Joe Cole moved sideways. Wright-Philips should've been pushed inside, he was never going to get past their left back who was terrified of him to start with.

Defence awful. Simple.

Croatia, once with the ball were stunning in on the break. Played the game perfectly.

We're out. I'm not going to Austria/Switzerland. I'm just worried I'm more gutted than the players out there. :x

SaddlerInALabcoat

Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:45 pm

I would like to see mourinho, but cant see him taking it to be honest. So looks like its gonna be O'neil.

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:46 pm

Manchester Saddler wrote:
Asps wrote:

Colin Lee wouldn't have been much worse than the Clown. in fact he might even have been better.

Yes he'd have played it up the middle away from the muddy bits & we'd have probably got the draw.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:48 pm

I just knew, by the way, that the idiots that criticised SGE with such voracity for the duration of his reign would be left with egg on their face. And there were plenty of those on here. I knew that people would take qualification for granted. I knew that when that group was drawn we would find it very difficult to go through with McClaren in charge. It makes me more angry that SGE got so little credit - and still doesn't - for getting us to three consecutive quarter-finals, given the shambles we have seen since. It is appalling to think that we've been plummeted, in the space of 18 months, from one of the top 8 teams in the world, to not even among the best 16 in Europe. Disgraceful.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:51 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:I just knew, by the way, that the idiots that criticised SGE with such voracity for the duration of his reign would be left with egg on their face. And there were plenty of those on here. I knew that people would take qualification for granted. I knew that when that group was drawn we would find it very difficult to go through with McClaren in charge. It makes me more angry that SGE got so little credit - and still doesn't - for getting us to three consecutive quarter-finals, given the shambles we have seen since. It is appalling to think that we've been plummeted, in the space of 18 months, from one of the top 8 teams in the world, to not even among the best 16 in Europe. Disgraceful.

Im with you on that one.

Cheesebag
Site Addict

Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:51 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:I just knew, by the way, that the idiots that criticised SGE with such voracity for the duration of his reign would be left with egg on their face. And there were plenty of those on here. I knew that people would take qualification for granted. I knew that when that group was drawn we would find it very difficult to go through with McClaren in charge. It makes me more angry that SGE got so little credit - and still doesn't - for getting us to three consecutive quarter-finals, given the shambles we have seen since. It is appalling to think that we've been plummeted, in the space of 18 months, from one of the top 8 teams in the world, to not even among the best 16 in Europe. Disgraceful.

Agreed, Sven would have got us there, but to be fair a decent 4-4-2 would have got us there too

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:53 pm

Cheesebag wrote:

Agreed, Sven would have got us there, but to be fair a decent 4-4-2 would have got us there too

Yes siree, just wrote similar on t'other thread

moaning saddler
Glitterati

Location: Taking Back Control - Bescot Market or a Single Market? Decisions, decisions...

Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:19 pm

Cueball wrote:
It's a good point. But it's also important that as a major footballing nation that we have a stadium of the highest order. When I go to Wembley it makes me proud to know that we have one of the best (if not the best) football stadiums in the world. I don't know whether you have been yet, but maybe it's just something you have to see in the flesh. And no offence, but England isn't a team for London fans. Every time I go down, the majority of fans seem to be from teams outside of London (we always see at least 10 other Saddlers!!). Join EnglandFans and you'll never have a problem getting a ticket, in fact I'm quite amazed how easy it is to get tickets starting from just £25.

I only wish it had been built in Birmingham....

Thanks very much for the wonderful recommendation - it inspired me to take full advantage of this fantastic opportunity this afternoon at the "bargain" price of £70.....s**t happens, I suppose :cry:
Last edited by moaning saddler on Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deano_Saddler
UTS Veteran

Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:22 pm

1. he plays 451 - 433 ( which ever way you wonna look at it )
2. crouch was isolated for most of the game
3. whether he is fit or unfit Beckham should be started no matter what
4. why not take of Bridge at half time when he was by far for me the worst player on the pitch
5. we losed to the better team and thats that
6. this summer coming up is gonna be soo boring and its all because of the players showing a gutless performance & McClaren being appointed as the England manager from the start

clawtheolder
Glitterati

Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:34 pm

Can anyone tell me why the roof was left open on a night like tonight, surely a game this critical the pitch should have been at its best and it wasn`t. How many £millions

Bill

Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:43 pm

Stick wrote:

Lol you are a joke

Well said.

Super Frank ey superb I thought :?

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:44 pm

clawtheolder wrote:Can anyone tell me why the roof was left open on a night like tonight? Surely a game this critical the pitch should have been at its best and it wasn`t? How many £millions?

CTO - despite the obscene amount of money spent on an otherwise excellent stadium, in a sh*te location, the roof is only PARTIALLY retractable (to allow the sunlight to reach the pitch!!!). Thus, games at Wembley will continue to be hostage to our wonderful weather! :evil: Talk about "spoiling the ship for a ha'porth of tar".

latviancheese
Site Addict

Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:50 pm

Leamore Saddler wrote:
clawtheolder wrote:Can anyone tell me why the roof was left open on a night like tonight? Surely a game this critical the pitch should have been at its best and it wasn`t? How many £millions?

CTO - despite the obscene amount of money spent on an otherwise excellent stadium, in a sh*te location, the roof is only PARTIALLY retractable (to allow the sunlight to reach the pitch!!!). Thus, games at Wembley will continue to be hostage to our wonderful weather! :evil: Talk about "spoiling the ship for a ha'porth of tar".

So whats the point of the retractable roof then? may aswell just not have one.

Ridiculous

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:18 am

clawtheolder wrote:Can anyone tell me why the roof was left open on a night like tonight, surely a game this critical the pitch should have been at its best and it wasn`t. How many £millions

Croatians reckoned it was the American Football that did all the damage. And why did we agree to host that? Surely not because it was a money-spinner to start to get some return out of the overpriced white elephant in the worst location in the country? :roll:

latviancheese
Site Addict

Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:38 am

Registered Saddler wrote:
clawtheolder wrote:Can anyone tell me why the roof was left open on a night like tonight, surely a game this critical the pitch should have been at its best and it wasn`t. How many £millions

Croatians reckoned it was the American Football that did all the damage. And why did we agree to host that? Surely not because it was a money-spinner to start to get some return out of the overpriced white elephant in the worst location in the country? :roll:

American football wouldnt put the pitch in that condition.

Its just a cack ground.

Jeremy Busby
UTS Veteran

Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:42 am

Registered Saddler wrote:

that was weks ago. What do the ground staff do apart from the markings and the nets?

Gaz the Train
UTS Veteran

Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:15 am

Well we go what we deserved, you can't go winning every other game 3-0 and not turn up for the others. I'm absolutely disgusted, but now the shake up begins, I won't be shouting for McClarens head because he is gone, thats a certainty. but hey, we didn't need to qualify, we can have the home nations tournamen now at wembley and help pay for the bloody thing.

my list of candidates would be.

Wenger
Big Sam
Mark Hughes
Jose M
Martin Jol
Martin O'neill

not in that particular order, all would bring something different to the party though

latviancheese
Site Addict

Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:22 am

Gaz the Train wrote:Well we go what we deserved, you can't go winning every other game 3-0 and not turn up for the others. I'm absolutely disgusted, but now the shake up begins, I won't be shouting for McClarens head because he is gone, thats a certainty. but hey, we didn't need to qualify, we can have the home nations tournamen now at wembley and help pay for the bloody thing.

Wenger
Big Sam
Mark Hughes
Jose M
Martin Jol
Martin O'neill

not in that particular order, all would bring something different to the party though

Id like to see a manager of Big sam or Hughes type,

but all the fairies couldnt handle being shouted at. Spineless, gutless morons. I saw more fight in a match between Yew Tree and Silverdale.

Gaz the Train
UTS Veteran

Thu Nov 22, 2007 4:37 am

latviancheese wrote:
Gaz the Train wrote:Well we go what we deserved, you can't go winning every other game 3-0 and not turn up for the others. I'm absolutely disgusted, but now the shake up begins, I won't be shouting for McClarens head because he is gone, thats a certainty. but hey, we didn't need to qualify, we can have the home nations tournamen now at wembley and help pay for the bloody thing.

Wenger
Big Sam
Mark Hughes
Jose M
Martin Jol
Martin O'neill

Id like to see a manager of Big sam or Hughes type,

but all the fairies couldnt handle being shouted at. Spineless, gutless morons. I saw more fight in a match between Yew Tree and Silverdale.

McClaren should have gone ages ago though, FACT, its no use sayin "yeah yeah but if we qualify then hes done his job" Ok this is not the best ever England team, but then again were the team of 66 the best 11 players in the world at the time individually? possibly not, but they won with pride and determination and teamwork. Saying job done is like winning a grand prix in a ferrari but every other car is a Lada and then scraping through at the end when the car that was beating you blew up, and thats what happened here. If we had qualified we would still have the same problems, so Steve Mc should have gone months ago, and bring in someone with the fight and spirit to do the job.

I think Allardyce or Wenger would bring the big changes needed in the whole set up but cannot see arsene leaving arsenal, Its not going to be an overnight job of rebuilding but we have time, the pansies can have a rest this summer and look how we bounced back in 96 under TV, pride was there after not qualifying in 2004, they key is now to use the time its afforded us to make sensible decisions and put in hard work in preparation for World Cup qualifying

Dr David Kelly
UTS Regular

Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:18 am

Owen would've played if it wasn't for the FA playing a stupid friendly on Friday. The FA appointed a below avarage club manager. Changes are needed at the top before anywhere else. I'd be happy if every single England player got banned for life from the England team. They are a disgrace. They should all be sent to Iraq.

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:21 am

Asps
Ex-Site Sponsor

Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:47 am

Leamore Saddler wrote:

On behalf of CTO: - Whooooooossssshhhaaaaa

yoda
Site Addict

Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:54 am

Goose277 wrote:
yoda wrote:A so called 'hat trick' against Jamaica being 3 of those goals.

I suspect if we look up the other teams they will also be joke friendly games.

lack of qualification says he isnt good enough

I can't believe you're putting this at Crouch's door. His job is to score goals, he does just that. This was a poor campaign from top to bottom. To blame 1 player is plain stupidity.

Did i say i was blaming 1 player?

last night was time to face up to some truths, the biggest being we are not as good as we think. this attitude is crouch personified. i like the guy and im not knocking him personally, but because he scores against weaker teams, and runs around a lot, we hail him as a saviour when the guy is good, but not exactly starting-on-his-own-upfront for england class really.

crouch is just an example. it seems gerrard and lampard arent as good as we make them out to be. it just seems crouch is earlier in this cycle of build them up then knock them down

TimWilkes
Glitterati

Thu Nov 22, 2007 7:55 am

So bad that laughter was the only response. Be honest, who thought we'd hold on after getting back to 2-2?
We are a poor team, with poor players.
I didn't realise Lampard was playing until he took the penalty.
Bridge and Lescott...are you kidding??? Some how they managed to look worse players than Carson :roll:
Englands man of the match, Crouch by a mile, though he didn't have much competition.

Roll on proper footballers at Sixfields :D

Neil Ravenscroft
Site Admin

Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:21 am

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:21 am

Neil Ravenscroft wrote:Match reaction

http://www.steveroy.com/walsall/

Agree with pretty much all that, Neil - but I'd have given MOM to Crouch above Beckham.

For me, there are so many reasons why we lost.
1) Crud pitch - I know its the 'same for both teams', but we were the home team, trying to play five across the middle and pass the ball wide - where the pitch was at its worst.
2) "England deserve to qualify" and similar nonsense from players prior to the game
3) A second-string back four: No Terry, no Ferdinand and (crucially no G Neville or A Cole - Richards and (especially) Bridge were terrible.
4) Owen crocked in a meaningless friendly played days before this game. Some people thought it may come back to haunt us and it has - we could have started the game 4-4-2, and I think we'd have done better
5) Croatia were organised, up for it, and talented - especially in midfield.
6) Carson failed the 'big test'
7) No one was able to take command of the game. Gerrard, Lampard and Barry were all substandard.
8) Too depressed to go on. I am envious of Scottish international football today. How bad is that?
9) I'm going to do some work now.
10) Good bye.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Duke
Site Addict

Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:44 am

so we are back to the days when England fail to qualify for major tournaments , everything was wrong last from team selection to tactics , McClown set his stall out for a draw and came unstuck big time.
You can blame the pitch , bad defending , shabby goalkeeper but at the end of the day one man alone takes responsabilty , this was not a difficult qualifing group we should have sailed through it.

and to make matter worse , the sun have taken page 3 out today , to show pictures of sobbing England fans. :twisted:

thanks for nothing McClaren.

PreviousNext
Return to England Highs & Lows