Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Russia v England

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Neuromantic
Site Addict

Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:57 pm

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
Pinus Strobus wrote:I despondent beyond belief and angry.

tell you one thing, Steven Gerrard wants to take a BIG BIG look at himself tonight.

You am just irritating. bit like crabs, but they do cream for them,

It isn't his fault we didn't qualify, it is the lot of them, from the FA, down to the tea lady, shambles

No Blazing, I am totally disgusted with his and other players performances, but as england CAPTAIN he did nothing at all, same goes with the others. all in the same boat.

Fact is currently Gerrard is not good enough to be in the midfield. Play players there who dont take the place for granted and want to play well.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:03 am

Ego Sum Ego Existo wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:

tell you one thing, Steven Gerrard wants to take a BIG BIG look at himself tonight.

It isn't his fault we didn't qualify, it is the lot of them, from the FA, down to the tea lady, shambles

No Blazing, I am totally disgusted with his and other players performances, but as england CAPTAIN he did nothing at all, same goes with the others. all in the same boat.

Fact is currently Gerrard is not good enough to be in the midfield. Play players there who dont take the place for granted and want to play well.

Like who ?

Gerrard is out of form, he has been for Liverpool for a few weeks now, it happens. Still better than anything else we have got to offer in that position.

Who ever comes in instead of Mclaren, can leave him out for me, if he gets a winning team together.

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:06 am

Agreed, Get the Special one in now!!!!

Duke
Site Addict

Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:32 am

Having seen the clips on the news I thought the pen was a bit harsh , if it was a foul it looked outside the box, super goal by Rooney .
On McClaren he's done better than I though he would , but he's not the right man for the job imho.
Its out of our hands now , we have to rely on Russia dropping points were up against it .

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:44 am

Blazing_Saddler wrote:

What would you know about football (soccer) american skunk man :lol: The game wasn't lost by Gerrard, he is still the best in the country in that position. Just face facts - Russia wanted it more last night. I think the point someone else made (referring to Ferdinand - but it applies to many) is that some of the players dont seem committed to playing for their country - just the money and the glory. I still maintain that players should NOT get paid to play for their country - then we will see who is committed. One thing I agree with Sheff on :shock: is the "save" by Robinson - awful, should have gone towards the corner flag!

TimWilkes
Glitterati

Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:55 am

Bring back Sven :D

Bring back Tony Blair - I think you'll find his qualification record was much better than Thatcher or Majors :shock:

Get rid of most of the players and start again.
Foster or Kirkland
Richards
Lennon
Rooney [but not at left back for Christ's sake!!!]
...er.....that's it :(

PS
A manager who plays Lescott at left back just because he might get a goal from a set piece, on a plastic pitch that will expose his tequnique...... :roll: :roll: :roll: BYE BYE

Pedagogue
Board Pedant

Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:09 am

Aldridge Steve wrote:I think the point someone else made (referring to Ferdinand - but it applies to many) is that some of the players don't seem committed to playing for their country - just the money and the glory. I still maintain that players should NOT get paid to play for their country - then we will see who is committed.

I agree but I think that you will find that England match fees are a lot less than their average weekly wage, anyway. Furthermore, I seem to remember that the England players all agreed to donate their match fees to charity. I haven't got time to find the link, now. Perhaps someone else can?

myleftknee
UTS Veteran

Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:45 am

Blazing_Saddler wrote:

That's funny, I'm sure when Gerrard was lacing his boots before the game he was thinking I don't want to play well today. I was just reading The Sun ratings of the players, it's a joke. There's no way we were worse then them yesterday, we didn't play scintillating football but looked comfortable and football can kick you in the teeth sometimes and when it does you have to except it and move on.

We have to hope that Israel can do us a favour now which might not be so out there, they've lost only one game during qualification at home and that was 3-4 to Croatia, if we don't qualify the loss in Russia won't be the reason we're not at the finals, the home draw against Macadonia would have ceiled our fate.

TimWilkes
Glitterati

Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:51 am

1 point out of 9 from games in Croatia, Israel and Moscow. Not good enough, don't deserve to qualify.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:09 am

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:What a joke.
Where was the SUPER Gerrard when you needed him. OR
Where was the SUPER BARRY when you needed him.
Well, we got what we deserved, because Super Frank was not on pitch until it was too late.
As I said all along, when chips are down, SUPER Gerrard and Barry are useless. FACT FACT FACT.

To be honest I think you need to see a doctor, or maybe you really are bent as a 9 bob note. Whatever it is, you have issues

Back to the football. Didn't see the game today, due to being at work, however the truth is, qualification wasn't lost today. Macedonia at home spings to mind as 2 points p1$$ed up the wall, or the shambles in croatia.
I'm not particually bothered who plays, just want someone to come in and make us look like a football team. If we had given Allardyce the job, we would be celebrating now. Instead we have a summer of boredom, looking on with envy. The only saving grace is that Scotland may not make it now, how embarrasing would that be if they did, and we didn't

At least we might get rid of the clown now, and get a decent manager in, although the best candidates went begging last time around

Depressed doesn't even begin to sum up how I feel right now

Agree with all that, but especially the emboldened bits.

Bad result, but we put ourselves in a position where we needed a result far away from home, on a plastic pitch, playing a team that had had far more rest days than us. Never the way to guarantee qualification.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:24 am

Sheff,

Do you support teams or individual players?

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:29 am

Plastic Hawk wrote:Sheff,

Do you support teams or individual players?

He likes the men with nice hair cuts I think

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:35 am

Mclaren must now go down as the worst England manager of all time now surely. Well in my life time anyway.

Like Graham Taylor he failed to qualify for a tournament, but he had much better players available to him, and if he could have drawed the teams out the hat himself, he couldn't have picked an easier group.

leics_saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:38 am

England played very well yesterday and were extremely unfortunate to lose. None of the players should be criticised for that performance, Russia were brilliant in spells and deserved a draw.

McClaren is new to the job, a bit like Money is new to this division. McClaren has started poorly, adjusted the side and now has a side that looks good. It's just unfortunate that in the national job, there is no acclimatisation period and few chances. England are not the only good side sweating on qualification, France and Italy were in the last World Cup Final, but one or both could be edged out by Scotland. This just shows what a high standard European football has attained.

An argument consisting of McClaren / Gerrard / Ferdinand / Robinson etc not good enough, gorra gew doesn't really cut it for me. Who is going to replace McClaren? Are the FA going to handle the selection process as well as last time? Before yesterday we'd played five matches and conceded no goals, I don't see what more could have been done. The damage was done earlier, as was said.

I'm just happy to see Englang playing well nowadays, but some people can't accept bad luck or an isolated bad performance anymore. No country (except the host and champions) has a divine right to qualify. There's no justification to change the manager when the team are playing well just because 'it worked by getting rid of Taylor, he was a turnip'.

Some people forget that we were 20 minutes from the finals last night - even now we still have a chance of going.
And Francis Lampard Jr is an important part of England's squad!

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:45 am

leics_saddler wrote:England played very well yesterday and were extremely unfortunate to lose. None of the players should be criticised for that performance, Russia were brilliant in spells and deserved a draw.

Who is going to replace McClaren? !

Good question. The point is there were 3 better candidates last time around.

Scolari. Hiddink. Both proven at international level. Both were attainable. We messed it up. If we were going to have an English Manager, Allardyce was the obvious choice. He has actually achieved something in the game, unlike Mclaren

Allardyce is a great manager, who gets the best from his players. Had he come in and not qualified, I would have been happy to give him the next tournament, safe in the knowledge he would get it right.

Duke
Site Addict

Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:46 am

Blazing_Saddler wrote:Mclaren must now go down as the worst England manager of all time now surely. Well in my life time anyway.

Like Graham Taylor he failed to qualify for a tournament, but he had much better players available to him, and if he could have drawed the teams out the hat himself, he couldn't have picked an easier group.

The Graham Taylor era , England fail to qaulify for major tournaments while Scotland qualify , what have the FA done :?
I can't see Israel doing us any favours , thats IF we beat Croatia

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:52 am

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
leics_saddler wrote:England played very well yesterday and were extremely unfortunate to lose. None of the players should be criticised for that performance, Russia were brilliant in spells and deserved a draw.

Scolari. Hiddink. Both proven at international level. Both were attainable. We messed it up. If we were going to have an English Manager, Allardyce was the obvious choice. He has actually achieved something in the game, unlike Mclaren

Allardyce is a great manager, who gets the best from his players. Had he come in and not qualified, I would have been happy to give him the next tournament, safe in the knowledge he would get it right.

But apart from his larger-than-life media profile what has Allardyce actually achieved that McClaren hasn't?

McClaren's won stuff and reached a European final, Allardyce hasn't. Bolton and Middlesbrough aren't that different as clubs (Bolton have spent bigger than Allardyce made out: Anelka cost upwards of £7m and his 20-odd man backroom staff didn't come cheap) and both have gone downhill since Allardyce and McClaren left. Allardyce had quality players at Bolton (Campo, Diouf, Jaaskelainen, Anelka, Nolan, Speed), not the tat his pals on Sky liked to make out. They'll show exactly how good they are now that Lee's been moved on and they get back to basics.

I'm not a McClaren fan at all, but I just don't see that Allardyce would be better.

Duke
Site Addict

Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:56 am

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:57 am

Plastic Hawk wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:

But apart from his larger-than-life media profile what has Allardyce actually achieved that McClaren hasn't?

McClaren's won stuff and reached a European final, Allardyce hasn't. Bolton and Middlesbrough aren't that different as clubs (Bolton have spent bigger than Allardyce made out: Anelka cost upwards of £7m and his 20-odd man backroom staff didn't come cheap) and both have gone downhill since Allardyce and McClaren left. Allardyce had quality players at Bolton (Campo, Diouf, Jaaskelainen, Anelka, Nolan, Speed), not the tat his pals on Sky liked to make out. They'll show exactly how good they are now that Lee's been moved on and they get back to basics.

I'm not a McClaren fan at all, but I just don't see that Allardyce would be better.

Are you kidding ? Do you realise where Bolton were when Sam took over ? He had money in the end, but it took a lot of years of hard work before he got it. It is just the way Allardyce goes about things, no stone is left un turned. He works hard to get the best out of each and every player.

I think you are havin a laugh to be honest.

Young_Tong
UTS Veteran

Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:00 am

Just a quick shout. Stuart Pearce? He's only really one step away from Full International level?

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:03 am

Young_Tong wrote:Just a quick shout. Stuart Pearce? He's only really one step away from Full International level?

No thanks

Duke
Site Addict

Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:05 am

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
Young_Tong wrote:Just a quick shout. Stuart Pearce? He's only really one step away from Full International level?

No thanks

Agreed , not until he's proved himself at club level .

derbysaddler
Site Addict

Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:06 am

What ? they were cack second half. Laid off an off and let Russia hit them with wave after wave ( not taking anything away from Russia, they moved the ball around nicely and did the job when it mattered ).

As it looks like we won't qualify its a chance to really assess what needs to happen with the national side. The jobs for the boys policy needs to be f**ked off out the door, players should be picked on form and consistency, not reputation or if they're mates with Ferdinand etc.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:08 am

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:

Are you kidding ? Do you realise where Bolton were when Sam took over ? He had money in the end, but it took a lot of years of hard work before he got it. It is just the way Allardyce goes about things, no stone is left un turned. He works hard to get the best out of each and every player.

I think you are havin a laugh to be honest.

I'm not having a laugh at all.

Bolton were a yo-yo side when Allardyce took over. They'd reached the play-off final the season before (and, admittedly, got off to a poor start that season), so were hardly in meltdown. I'm not arguing that Allardyce did an excellent job at Bolton (although he was generally tactically outclassed in European competition), but McClaren did a good job at Boro too. Neither convinced me that they had enough about them to take the step up to international management (or even a top club side). We will see how Newcastle fare over the next couple of seasons.

If we're talking about managers who've made small clubs punch well above their weight then I think that Martin O'Neill's done at least as well as Allardyce, plus he has taken Celtic deep into European competitions. I know he's not English, but of the men supposedly on the FA's shortlist he's the one I'd have taken (I'd also have been very happy with either Scolari or Hiddink).

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:14 am

Hiddink would have been my first choice. Then Scolari. Having screwed that up, Big Sam

I don't think Mclaren did that great a job at Boro, he had shed loads of money, and one good run in the mickey mouse cup of Europe as it is now.

If Newcastle give Allardyce the time, he will get things right. It isn't an easy job, how many have been there and failed now.

Bolton were a team no one wanted to play, they got a reputation for the kind of football they played, but he just played them to their strengths.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:15 am

Blazing_Saddler wrote:
Well, we got what we deserved, because Super Frank was not on pitch until it was too late.
As I said all along, when chips are down, SUPER Gerrard and Barry are useless. FACT FACT FACT.

To be honest I think you need to see a doctor, or maybe you really are bent as a 9 bob note. Whatever it is, you have issues

Back to the football. Didn't see the game today, due to being at work, however the truth is, qualification wasn't lost today. Macedonia at home spings to mind as 2 points p1$$ed up the wall, or the shambles in croatia.

I'm not particually bothered who plays, just want someone to come in and make us look like a football team. If we had given Allardyce the job, we would be celebrating now. Instead we have a summer of boredom, looking on with envy. The only saving grace is that Scotland may not make it now, how embarrasing would that be if they did, and we didn't

At least we might get rid of the clown now, and get a decent manager in, although the best candidates went begging last time around

HOLD ON A MINUTE!
This board, the nation, 99% say "Super" Steve "I Can Do Nothing Wrong" Gerrard is a players that -
a) Scores important goals.
b) Inspires other players.
c) Takes games by cruff of neck and makes things happen

Yesterday, he failed in all 3 and could not even find a target from 8 yards out with not a player in sight or near him.

I feel that you and many other people need to see a doctor mate.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:16 am

Blazing_Saddler wrote:Hiddink would have been my first choice. Then Scolari. Having screwed that up, Big Sam

I don't think Mclaren did that great a job at Boro, he had shed loads of money, and one good run in the mickey mouse cup of Europe as it is now.

If Newcastle give Allardyce the time, he will get things right. It isn't an easy job, how many have been there and failed now.

Bolton were a team no one wanted to play, they got a reputation for the kind of football they played, but he just played them to their strengths.

Only 1 man for the job - Mourinho.
FACT!
A man who isnt afraid to make a change when needed.
A man who inspires people around him.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:17 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:Hiddink would have been my first choice. Then Scolari. Having screwed that up, Big Sam

FACT!

I don't disagree now, I was talking about last time the job came around. I would have Jose tomorrow, whether he would want it or not, and if the FA would want someone so outspoken and expensive is another matter entirely

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:20 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
Blazing_Saddler wrote:

HOLD ON A MINUTE!
This board, the nation, 99% say "Super" Steve "I Can Do Nothing Wrong" Gerrard is a players that -
a) Scores important goals.
b) Inspires other players.
c) Takes games by cruff of neck and makes things happen

Yesterday, he failed in all 3 and could not even find a target from 8 yards out with not a player in sight or near him.

I feel that you and many other people need to see a doctor mate.

As I said, he is having a bad run of form, he has been poor for Liverpool for a few weeks now, hence them struggling, that alone tells it's own tale. I am not obsessed with Gerrard playing, if he doesn't play and England do well, then thats all good by me, in fact it is better, as he would be fresh for Liverpool.

However the same can't be said for you, you support Lampard infront of England for some odd reason, you seem to be the only person in the world who doesn't see that Gerrard is actually far superior as a player.

myleftknee
UTS Veteran

Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:20 am

SheffieldSaddler wrote:

FACT!
A man who isnt afraid to make a change when needed.

A man who inspires people around him.

He's already said he doesn't want the England job and whats with "FACT" all the time.

PreviousNext
Return to England Highs & Lows