Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

Russia v England

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:42 pm

Gaz the Train wrote:
Aldridge Steve wrote:I thought A) The pitch seemd to play quite well - no blame can be attached to that, I was pleasantly surprised, I expected it to be like Prestons :lol: B) England did Ok - but no better and C) I thought Russia looked great when attacking. Can't remember the last time I saw such a frantic international match. Shame about the result, I was hoping England would get through and be based in Geneva 8)

Lovely place Geneva, was also discussed earlier I love it others thought it was a dull place, but i love switzerland in general

Been to Zurich and it is very pleasant. The only problem is that Switzerland is very very expensive ...

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:51 pm

What a joke.
Where was the SUPER Gerrard when you needed him. OR
Where was the SUPER BARRY when you needed him.
Well, we got what we deserved, because Super Frank was not on pitch until it was too late.
As I said all along, when chips are down, SUPER Gerrard and Barry are useless. FACT FACT FACT.

Redordead
UTS Veteran

Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:53 pm

Oh yes cause when fat barclays came on we looked a better team didn't we
lampard is rubbish, FAT FAT FAT
Last edited by Redordead on Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bill

Wed Oct 17, 2007 6:53 pm

:lol:

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:00 pm

Redordead wrote:Oh yes cause when fat **** came on we looked a better team didn't we

Well, you try and change 80 minutes of rubbish in 10 minutes.
Do you know anything?
:roll:

Redordead
UTS Veteran

Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:03 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
Redordead wrote:Oh yes cause when fat **** came on we looked a better team didn't we

Do you know anything?

I know why he isnt good enough to only be allowed to play 10 minutes

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:10 pm

Redordead wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:

Do you know anything?

I know why he isnt good enough to only be allowed to play 10 minutes

Really, so what did Gerrard and Barry bring to todays match?

Redordead
UTS Veteran

Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:12 pm

Thats not the issue, the issue is that Lampard is an over rated over fed over the hill waste of space

RED 5
UTS Veteran

Location: CHEADLE HULME,CHEADLE ROYAL OR CHEADLE TOWN OR CHEADLE WITH A C

Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:14 pm

That silly challenge by Rooney cost us the match! Saying that though why was he defending and not a proper defender back there! Yes it was outside of the box but he was offside when he scored. Until then we was in control of the game and Russia didnt look like they were going to score. I thought at the time if the penalty goes in we will lose this game! :x

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:15 pm

Redordead wrote:Thats not the issue, the issue is that Lampard is an over rated over fed over the hill waste of space

Oh right, well it proves what a joke you are.
Did you not watch England v Germany, where Lampard was the best player on pitch?
Or England v Brazil or Estonia?

Redordead
UTS Veteran

Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:15 pm

hoddle and Rednapp commented on that, it was as if you knew what was comming next

waffle

Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:19 pm

Whats the opinion on the ex dingle...gota be honest I used to think possible international...now I think he looked out of his depth,definitely caught the wrong side a few times!!

Redordead
UTS Veteran

Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:22 pm

i didnt help him the way the whole back 7 defended with an air of panic about them

Whitti Steve
Past UTS Benefactor

Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:26 pm

Manchester Saddler wrote:
Gaz the Train wrote:
Aldridge Steve wrote:I thought A) The pitch seemd to play quite well - no blame can be attached to that, I was pleasantly surprised, I expected it to be like Prestons :lol: B) England did Ok - but no better and C) I thought Russia looked great when attacking. Can't remember the last time I saw such a frantic international match. Shame about the result, I was hoping England would get through and be based in Geneva 8)

Lovely place Geneva, was also discussed earlier I love it others thought it was a dull place, but i love switzerland in general

Been to Zurich and it is very pleasant. The only problem is that Switzerland is very very expensive ...

Ah, but when you can stay an hour over the border into lovely lovely France.......

its still expensive :cry: :lol: Was hoping for a bumper 3 weeks rentals in June 8) :?

cyclothymic
UTS Legend

Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:27 pm

Sheff - your arguments hold no water because they are based upon a hopeless infatuation :wink: :P

We were 11 men on a pitch during the second half, not a team. I think this is a problem that one player cannot solve.

Love the new Forum name - full points to the Mod what done it!

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:31 pm

cyclothymic wrote:Love the new Forum name - full points to the Mod what done it!

We did this a year or more ago, and only recently changed it back to 'highs and lows'. Nobody noticed for months, first time through!

On the football I've not seen the game, but I'm not surprised. A couple of random wins will never make McLaren a good manager, but sadly the paper over the cracks lasted long enough for him to still be here. That said, I'm not sure what any manager could make of England, where the players just don't seem to care about the shirt most of the time.

Redordead
UTS Veteran

Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:31 pm

lol, just noticed that myself

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:09 pm

Just watched the goals again.
Could I ask why Rooney was in that position to give away the "penalty" in the first place? I thought the bloke was a forward?
Could I ask why Robinson decided to palm the ball out for the second goal rather than around the post?
Could I ask why not one of Ferdinand, Campbell and Lescott could make it to the ball before the Russian forward?
Oh and as for "Super" Steve "I can do nothing wrong" Gerrard, could i finally ask how he managed to miss that chance at 1-0?
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:22 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:Just watched the goals again.
Could I ask why Rooney was in that position to give away the "penalty" in the first place? I thought the bloke was a forward?
Could I ask why Robinson decided to palm the ball out for the second goal rather than around the post?
Could I ask why not one of Ferdinand, Campbell and Lescott could make it to the ball before the Russian forward?
Oh and as for "Super" Steve "I can do nothing wrong" Gerrard, could i finally ask how he managed to miss that chance at 1-0?
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

In answer to the question on the defenders:

Ferdinand - has always been mediocre at best, he is the epitome of a modern footballer who turns up at England games and always looks like he doesn't give a toss, just likes the kudos from being in the England team

Campbell - too old, shouldn't have been brought back into the squad

Lescott - out of his depth, he was cack in the last game and he showed his ineptitude at this level again tonight

In the run up to their 2nd goal the whole defence and midfield was static around the edge of their own box and didn't seem to want to push out. It was inevitable a shot was on its way in and when it did Robinson was pants at his parry. He's looked dodgy for a number of months now and McClown thought it would be ok to keep him in.
The reason Rooney was back that far was because the whole team was back that far.

McClown OUT!!! Even if we do miraculously qualify.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:28 pm

Good points SaddlerSteve.
But even if the 3 defenders you mention are useless, surely they should have got to that ball first?
The more I see Robinsons error for the second goal, the more I realise what a usless keeper he is. He had full view of the shot and should have held the ball neveralone palm it out. A school boy error from a so called professional football player. Disgraceful.
And the "Super" Gerrard, I cant hit it on target from 8 yards out! :roll:

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:53 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:Good points SaddlerSteve.
But even if the 3 defenders you mention are useless, surely they should have got to that ball first?
The more I see Robinsons error for the second goal, the more I realise what a usless keeper he is. He had full view of the shot and should have held the ball neveralone palm it out. A school boy error from a so called professional football player. Disgraceful.

Stevie is still a better player than Frank, though Sheff. I didn't see Frank set the game alight with his raw talent when he came on. In fact he was as inept as the rest of them. Did he have a shot? No. Did he influence the game? No. Did he give the ball away? Yes. Watch the highlights again.

Admittedly Gerrard was below par tonight but he can change a game whereas Frank rarely does. That's reason why any manager worth their salt would have him in the team. Frank will get his chance - when Gerrard is injured or suspended!

Anyway - the damage was done in the poor performances earlier in the qualifying campaign.

I think the general consensus is that Steve McClaren is not up to the job. The one good thing about failing to qualify is that he will be sacked. If Isreal do us a favour and McClaren survives, Lord help us!

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:57 pm

Manchester Saddler wrote:

Stevie is still a better player than Frank, though Sheff. I didn't see Frank set the game alight with his raw talent when he came on. In fact he was as inept as the rest of them. Did he have a shot? No. Did he influence the game? No. Did he give the ball away? Yes. Watch the highlights again.

Admittedly Gerrard was below par tonight but he can change a game whereas Frank rarely does. That's reason why any manager worth their salt would have him in the team. Frank will get his chance - when Gerrard is injured or suspended!

Anyway - the damage was done in the poor performances earlier in the qualifying campaign.

I think the general consensus is that Steve McClaren is not up to the job. The one good thing about failing to qualify is that he will be sacked. If Isreal do us a favour and McClaren survives, Lord help us!

10 minutes to go, yeah right.
As I said, if he had performed like that joker Gerrard, the board would have gone mad about it.
But, "Super" Steve cant even score from 8 yards, cause hes totally useless of course.
Super Frank would have got us through today, unfortunately McClown did not realise that in order to beat Russia and put them on back foot, he needed to play 4-3-3.

I would rather England qualify than McClown get sack, thats for sure.
Euro 2008 without England, god forbid. It would be the most depressing month or so on record.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:07 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:I would rather England qualify than McClown get sack, thats for sure.
Euro 2008 without England, god forbid. It would be the most depressing month or so on record.

The problem is if we do qualify do you really want McClown in charge for the tournament because thats who it'll be.
He can't fluke his way through the whole tournament and we'll just go out with a whimper as we have done in previous tournaments.

SaddlerSteve
Site Addict

Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:15 pm

Not really, their frailties are exactly the reason the striker got to the ball first.

Ferdinand to be fair wasn't in the area where the ball was parried.

Campbell probably had an idea what was going to happen but was just too old and slow to react.

Lescott is unexperienced at this level and spent a lot of the game checking his own position trying to keep in line with the other defenders and screwing it up. He didn't seem to have any positional sense at all.

Of course it doesn't help when you've got 2 defenders who are not regulars in the squad.

The Russian just ran between the 2 of them and they seemed to both think about leaving it to each other before actually making a move.

As for Robinson he was a good keeper at one point but his confidence is shattered after all the mistakes which are now turning into a steady stream of cockups.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:25 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:What a joke.
Where was the SUPER Gerrard when you needed him. OR
Where was the SUPER BARRY when you needed him.
Well, we got what we deserved, because Super Frank was not on pitch until it was too late.
As I said all along, when chips are down, SUPER Gerrard and Barry are useless. FACT FACT FACT.

To be honest I think you need to see a doctor, or maybe you really are bent as a 9 bob note. Whatever it is, you have issues

Back to the football. Didn't see the game today, due to being at work, however the truth is, qualification wasn't lost today. Macedonia at home spings to mind as 2 points p1$$ed up the wall, or the shambles in croatia.

I'm not particually bothered who plays, just want someone to come in and make us look like a football team. If we had given Allardyce the job, we would be celebrating now. Instead we have a summer of boredom, looking on with envy. The only saving grace is that Scotland may not make it now, how embarrasing would that be if they did, and we didn't

At least we might get rid of the clown now, and get a decent manager in, although the best candidates went begging last time around

Depressed doesn't even begin to sum up how I feel right now

Neuromantic
Site Addict

Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:26 pm

I despondent beyond belief and angry.

tell you one thing, Steven Gerrard wants to take a BIG BIG look at himself tonight.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:34 pm

Pinus Strobus wrote:I despondent beyond belief and angry.

tell you one thing, Steven Gerrard wants to take a BIG BIG look at himself tonight.

You am just irritating. bit like crabs, but they do cream for them,

It isn't his fault we didn't qualify, it is the lot of them, from the FA, down to the tea lady, shambles

KJC
UTS Legend

Location: Not 'staying away' as any kind of protest. I've just found something better to do on a Saturday.

Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:42 pm

Why have you named yourself after a Pine tree?

Is it cos you like Evergreen by Will Young? :wink:

:)

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:48 pm

KJC wrote:

It's because he's easily needled.

We-ARE-Walsall
Site Addict

Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:50 pm

Exile wrote:
KJC wrote:

It's because he's easily needled.

Barking up the wrong tree there mate

PreviousNext
Return to England Highs & Lows