Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

England v Russia

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
kshammer
Site Addict

Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:22 am

I think Sheffield and Frank should get a room... there's genuine love there.

Barry and Gerrard compliment each other suberbly. They drop deep for each other when one goes forward, actually pass to each other, and both their games doesn't rely on arriving late into the box and taking the glory. The whole Chelsea team is set up for Frank, people sit deep to cover him, Drogba holds the ball up etc, so he can arrive in a move and score. Don't get me wrong, its a great knack to have, but England aren't going to operate just for him. Gerrard, Rooney and Owen are all more important than him and he can't apapt his game to tackle, or play slightly differently. Gerrard is far the more superior player, he can head, tackle, shoot, pass, beat men, get in the box and inspire, whereas Franky isn't that good. Would we ask Frank to play left side.... no.... because he's not technically proficient enough. Barry knows he's there to allow Gerrard to play - same as Heskey is for Owen. Frank isn't clever enough to realise that he isn't the superstar for England.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:55 am

You have to laugh at some of the comments above.
I will tell you something for nothing, if Super Frank put in the dire performances Gerrard did over the last few games, people would have gone beserk.
I mean look at this from kshammer above "The whole Chelsea team is set up for Frank, people sit deep to cover him", now forgive me for being totally stupid, but dont most top sides have some attacking midfield player being helped and covered by a defensive midfield player. A bit like Gerrard and Barry in the last 2 matches perhaps? A bit like say Scholes and Hargreaves at Man United etc etc? That kshammer is just a silly statement to make and really makes me wonder if you follow football.
Lets face it, in the last 2 games, SWP has justified he should start in front of the vastly over rated, living on past performances Beckham.
Barry has proved he should start in front of the useless Carrick and put in a good effort to start in front of Hargreaves, but personally I think not, I would have Hargreaves back in all honesty.
As for the up front, who on earth is honestly going to play Heskey in front of Rooney? Personally if we play like we did on many occasions, i.e direct which suited our last 2 opponents, then yes I would. But in all honesty, when we are going to play decent teams, Heskey will not get no where near as much an easier game. Hence why we need to adopt a more passing to feet approach if (well when) Rooney is back.
So its got to be Cole, Lampard, Hargreaves/Barry and SWP.
With Rooney and Owen up front.
Thanks Heskey for doing what you did, and coming back into the England team when your country needed you, unlike a certain Liverpool player did to help is country in times of need. Stand up Mr Carragher.

latviancheese
Site Addict

Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:07 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:You have to laugh at some of the comments above.
I will tell you something for nothing, if Super Frank put in the dire performances Gerrard did over the last few games, people would have gone beserk.
I mean look at this from kshammer above "The whole Chelsea team is set up for Frank, people sit deep to cover him", now forgive me for being totally stupid, but dont most top sides have some attacking midfield player being helped and covered by a defensive midfield player. A bit like Gerrard and Barry in the last 2 matches perhaps? A bit like say Scholes and Hargreaves at Man United etc etc? That kshammer is just a silly statement to make and really makes me wonder if you follow football.
Lets face it, in the last 2 games, SWP has justified he should start in front of the vastly over rated, living on past performances Beckham.
Barry has proved he should start in front of the useless Carrick and put in a good effort to start in front of Hargreaves, but personally I think not, I would have Hargreaves back in all honesty.
As for the up front, who on earth is honestly going to play Heskey in front of Rooney? Personally if we play like we did on many occasions, i.e direct which suited our last 2 opponents, then yes I would. But in all honesty, when we are going to play decent teams, Heskey will not get no where near as much an easier game. Hence why we need to adopt a more passing to feet approach if (well when) Rooney is back.
Thanks Heskey for doing what you did, and coming back into the England team when your country needed you, unlike a certain Liverpool player did to help is country in times of need. Stand up Mr Carragher.

I agree and disagree with you there. I agree about Gerrard's performances. Gerrard can do no wrong in the countries eyes.

I think the direct route is our best option, im not talking about total directness, but even against the top teams in the world heskey would cause problems with his hustle and bustle. Get him to win the headers and then we pass it around. Its the english style of football!

Rooney And Owen looks good on paper, but you've got to drop one of them in my opinion, because neither of them will win a header.

The sooner Crouch is told he is total rubbish the better. Would rather have carniero in my team than him.

myleftknee
UTS Veteran

Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:27 pm

I don't think anyone is saying Lampard is a bad player just that he and Gerrard should fight for the same place. Lampard was injured and Gerrard was picked in the role, since his inclusion there has been two upward team performances and so deserves his shirt. There will be injuries and Lampard will get his chance and it's up to him to take the shirt from Gerrard.

Surely that's the situation?

myleftknee
UTS Veteran

Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:33 pm

By the way the move yesterday which ended with Heskey shooting and Owen following up and slipping is the best bit of football I've seen from an England side for more than five years and both Barry andr Gerrard were instrumental in the move. If Brasil or any of the "big" teams made that move you wouldn't hear the end of it.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:52 pm

This exposes your whole position on the Gerrard or Lampard issue as a Chelsea v Liverpool thing really, doesn't it? Why should we take anything you say on the subject to be unbiased?

Duke
Site Addict

Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:55 pm

McClaren would be a fool to leave Barry out of the side .
Lampard maybe a good club player , but at international level does nothing for England.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:59 pm

Plastic Hawk wrote:

This exposes your whole position on the Gerrard or Lampard issue as a Chelsea v Liverpool thing really, doesn't it? Why should we take anything you say on the subject to be unbiased?

No it does not, it exposes the complete lack of respect a player has for his country in not helping it, at a time of need.

It of course could also be reversed that anyone who wants Gerrard instead of Lampard, could have something against Chelsea.

Come on, comeup with something better than that.

tinned
Site Addict

Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:00 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:

No it does not, it exposes the complete lack of respect a player has for his country in not helping it, at a time of need.

It of course could also be reversed that anyone who wants Gerrard instead of Lampard, could have something against Chelsea.

Gerrard is twice the player than Lampard is?

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:03 pm

tinned wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:

Try writing something sensible.

Cueball
UTS Regular

Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:05 pm

tinned wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:

And with a broken toe...

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:07 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:
Plastic Hawk wrote:

What time of need? Do England need a spare defender? Or would you have played him up front ahead of Heskey? Carragher's perfectly entitled to retire if he wants to - and he was only about 6th choice centre back anyway so I doubt he's been missed.

kshammer's comments about Chelsea and Lampard seemed an accurate summary to me, so I didn't really feel I had to add much more to them. But, in case you haven't noticed, England just won two games 3-0 and Gerrard played in a key position in both of them. Surely his performances can't really have been "dire"? Sticking with a team that's getting decent results is hardly "something against Chelsea" is it? Even Mourinho wouldn't be that paranoid!!

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:31 pm

FourFourTwo's appraisal of the Top 100 players in the world (in this month's issue) sees Mr Gerrard rated at No. 6 in the world (Kaka, Cristiano Ronaldo and Ronaldinho were the top three). Frank wades in as a twentysomething. Lampard is o.k, decent even, but he goes missing for large spells in games in my view. Doesn't have the presence of Gerrard or, importantly, instill the fear in the oppo.

His last performance for England was his best for ages, and he was unlucky in that injury has set him back and given Barry a chance to stake his claim.

kshammer
Site Addict

Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:42 pm

Do I follow football? Well if having a season ticket and playing alot of football counts, then yes. I have nothing against Chelsea. Terry, Lampard, SWP, the Coles should all be in the squad, but the last two performances show Franky doesn't warrant a place. Gerrard may not have been outstanding for England, but in the last couple of years, if you were going to pick one, Stevey G has been better.

To say Frank is a better player shows you don't follow football. Gerrard is superior in every aspect of the game. Chelsea all play to get Frank involved, and with them being so good, Lampard has flourished. Liverpool have been average at best (before this year), yet Gerrard has been excellent. Why?... because he has more to his game. Lampard is in the England team on name alone and is virtually anonymous in most matches. He's out the team and will be for a while... chin up though Sheffield... he'll be a great bench player (a sort of midfield Crouch if you like).

kshammer
Site Addict

Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:47 pm

4-4-2 probably don't "follow" football as well as Sheffield.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Thu Sep 13, 2007 1:47 pm

Cueball wrote:
Registered Saddler wrote:Kind of reminds me of when we went to 4-5-1 under Merson. By luck rather than judgement, we found a system that suited us to a tee. Playing that way, we played top-six sides Hartlepool and Hull off the park and also picked up good away wins at Swindon, Bristol City, Rotherham and Peterborough. However it soon went to pot when we changed back to 4-4-2 or the ridiculous 4-3-1-2.

I fear that as soon as the big names become available they will come straight back in the team and we will return to our previous insipid performances under McLaren. I am, however, desperate to be proved wrong.

How bizarre. You're Mr. Positive when it comes to Walsall (second from bottom of the league) and Mr. Negative when it comes
to England (second top in the Group). Why not give McLaren some credit? His decision to bring back Heskey (widely derided at the time)
has proved to be a masterstroke. The last two performances have been as good as any in the last 5 years. He's got us playing as a team, not
a bunch of individuals. Still, you just put it all down to luck (like it's bad luck Walsall are second bottom in the league..) :evil:

I think that's a little unfair. I don't think it's bad luck we're second bottom but I'm positive because a) there have been encouraging parts to our play, b) the season is still young and c) most importantly, I believe Richard Money is good enough to improve our situation based on the evidence of last year's championship win.

I have been extremely positive about England's last two performances but I don't think McLaren should take a massive amount of credit for them. His decision to bring Heskey back came AFTER his initial squad was announced and I expect Heskey wouldn't have even been in the party had Crouch not been suspended. He has taken more than a year to work out you can only play one of Gerrard or Lampard in the team - something I have realised for ages. And then, it's only come because Lampard was injured. His first move was to jettison Beckham from the squad and then brought him back when things got desperate. He made a mess of the tactics away in Croatia when we were inept.

Well done to England for the last two games but I am not going to be persuaded that the selection and tactics were a masterstroke from McLaren rather than being forced by circumstance. Let's hope he keeps the same system and shape for the next couple of games. I would be delighted to see us continue to play this way and, if so, would be positive about our chances in Austria/Switzerland next year.

kshammer
Site Addict

Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:02 pm

I'd agree there was an element of luck about how he stumbled onto this eleven but who cares? If he has to play 11 non league players and they win us the World Cup, then great. I don't bow down to the "big name" thing some do. I couldn't care less who's in as long as they win.

As for Walsall, well there's no bad luck involved. We have a team of predominantly poor players, and (although we should have), we couldn't beat a poor Port Vale team. We are were we deserve to be and it hurts to say so.

Bristol Fan
Glitterati

Thu Sep 13, 2007 2:53 pm

This Gerrard vs Lampard thing is getting a bit silly. They're both wonderful players, so why do people feel they have to slag one off in order to praise the other? Personally I think Gerrard is better and so would play him instead of Lampard, but that's not because I think Lampard is a bad player, and he is clearly the second best midfielder available for selection for England - but you just can't play both of them in the same central midfield.

Heskey's very good performances have to be taken in the context of the opposition. He's a natural foil for Owen and will always bring out the best in Owen, but can you really sacrifice Rooney for that? Crouch looks really good when we play poor opposition, it's when we play anyone half decent that he is an embarrassment, and while Heskey is better than him, I'm sure that would still be true to a certain extent.

Cueball
UTS Regular

Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:25 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:
Cueball wrote:
Registered Saddler wrote:Kind of reminds me of when we went to 4-5-1 under Merson. By luck rather than judgement, we found a system that suited us to a tee. Playing that way, we played top-six sides Hartlepool and Hull off the park and also picked up good away wins at Swindon, Bristol City, Rotherham and Peterborough. However it soon went to pot when we changed back to 4-4-2 or the ridiculous 4-3-1-2.

I fear that as soon as the big names become available they will come straight back in the team and we will return to our previous insipid performances under McLaren. I am, however, desperate to be proved wrong.

How bizarre. You're Mr. Positive when it comes to Walsall (second from bottom of the league) and Mr. Negative when it comes
to England (second top in the Group). Why not give McLaren some credit? His decision to bring back Heskey (widely derided at the time)
has proved to be a masterstroke. The last two performances have been as good as any in the last 5 years. He's got us playing as a team, not
a bunch of individuals. Still, you just put it all down to luck (like it's bad luck Walsall are second bottom in the league..) :evil:

I think that's a little unfair. I don't think it's bad luck we're second bottom but I'm positive because a) there have been encouraging parts to our play, b) the season is still young and c) most importantly, I believe Richard Money is good enough to improve our situation based on the evidence of last year's championship win.

I have been extremely positive about England's last two performances but I don't think McLaren should take a massive amount of credit for them. His decision to bring Heskey back came AFTER his initial squad was announced and I expect Heskey wouldn't have even been in the party had Crouch not been suspended. He has taken more than a year to work out you can only play one of Gerrard or Lampard in the team - something I have realised for ages. And then, it's only come because Lampard was injured. His first move was to jettison Beckham from the squad and then brought him back when things got desperate. He made a mess of the tactics away in Croatia when we were inept.

Well done to England for the last two games but I am not going to be persuaded that the selection and tactics were a masterstroke from McLaren rather than being forced by circumstance. Let's hope he keeps the same system and shape for the next couple of games. I would be delighted to see us continue to play this way and, if so, would be positive about our chances in Austria/Switzerland next year.

Good post. But let's be honest, all managers make mistakes. Even DD tried to resign Keates (2 months after letting him leave). Is this not the same as McLaren asking Beckham back? And, if we win 3-0 at Millwall, I'm sure you'd ridicule anyone who said ' well I don't think Mr Money should take any credit...'.

I've never been McLaren's biggest fan, but you've got to give credit where it's due.

SaigonSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:41 pm

myleftknee wrote:I don't think anyone is saying Lampard is a bad player just that he and Gerrard should fight for the same place. Lampard was injured and Gerrard was picked in the role, since his inclusion there has been two upward team performances and so deserves his shirt. There will be injuries and Lampard will get his chance and it's up to him to take the shirt from Gerrard.

I completely agree. It's an either or situation as most of the pundits have been saying for ages. Gerrard is simply better in all areas of the park. Lampard would be a decent substitute to throw into the mix against weaker, tired opponents, say in the last 20 minutes or so. Something he can handle.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:25 pm

SaigonSaddler wrote:
myleftknee wrote:I don't think anyone is saying Lampard is a bad player just that he and Gerrard should fight for the same place. Lampard was injured and Gerrard was picked in the role, since his inclusion there has been two upward team performances and so deserves his shirt. There will be injuries and Lampard will get his chance and it's up to him to take the shirt from Gerrard.

I completely agree. It's an either or situation as most of the pundits have been saying for ages. Gerrard is simply better in all areas of the park. Lampard would be a decent substitute to throw into the mix against weaker, tired opponents, say in the last 20 minutes or so. Something he can handle.

2 upward performance from Gerrard? Are you watching the same matches as me or what?

On Saturday SWP, Joe Cole and Michael Owen were the best players.
Yesterday it was Barry and Owen.

Absolutely nothing to do with Gerrard, although he had decent games, he was no where near part of the 2 upward performances. Get real.

Lampard, given the right role is a miles better player as proven in the Premiership week after week, Champions League and International matches.

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:29 pm

My view that Stevie Gerrard is a far better player than Frank Lampard has nothing to do with the Liverpool v Chelsea thing.

To be honest, from a Chelsea perspective, Shaun Wright-Phillips and Joe Cole definitely deserve their places as they are superb players.

Unfortunately Steven Gerrard is by far England's best player and Frank Lampard is nowhere near as good. I would have Lampard in my squad but only as emergency cover for Gerrard. The two cannot play in the same team because they cancel each other out and therefore one has to be sacrificed - sorry Frank!!
When Gerrard is bursting through the midfield there is no better sight. Lampard's only saving grace is that he can score the odd goal from outside the area - but he does not have the leadership qualities or the skill to oust Gerrard. I would have thought that was obvious given his previous performances for England.

I dread to think what McClaren will do now in terms of selection.

Gareth Barry was superb once again last night and perhaps should be given the chance ahead of Hargreaves.

Beckham should not be selected again unless SWP is injured. Also Lennon I feel would be a better back up for SWP.

As for the from - that's a tough one. I was genuinely surprised by Emile Heskey. I think to be honest Peter Crouch must know in his heart of hearts that he is fifth best of the players who will be available. But should Heskey play instead of Rooney? That's a tough one. Rooney is a better player but Heskey and Owen make a great partnership.

I fear that McClaren will simply revert back to those with the biggest egos and they will feck it up for us.
Last edited by Manchester Saddler on Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:29 pm

You do talk some tosh Sheff.

I like Lampard, an excellent Premiership player. He has never proven his worth on a consistent player at International level though. Never.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:34 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:You do talk some tosh Sheff.

I like Lampard, an excellent Premiership player. He has never proven his worth on a consistent player at International level though. Never.

And neither as Gerrard! :roll: :roll: :roll:

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:36 pm

Manchester Saddler wrote:My view that Stevie Gerrard is a far better player than Frank Lampard has nothing to do with the Liverpool v Chelsea thing.

To be honest, from a Chelsea perspective, Shaun Wright-Phillips and Joe Cole definitely deserve their places as they are superb players.

Unfortunately Steven Gerrard is by far England's best player and Frank Lampard is nowhere near as good. I would have Lampard in my squad but only as emergency cover for Gerrard. The two cannot play in the same team because they cancel each other out and therefore one has to be sacrificed - sorry Frank!!
When Gerrard is bursting through the midfield there is no better sight. Lampard's only saving grace is that he can score the odd goal from outside the area - but he does not have the leadership qualities or the skill to oust Gerrard. I would have thought that was obvious given his previous performances for England.

I dread to think what McClaren will do now in terms of selection.

Gareth Barry was superb once again last night and perhaps should be given the chance ahead of Hargreaves.

Beckham should not be selected again unless SWP is injured. Also Lennon I feel would be a better back up for SWP.

As for the from - that's a tough one. I was genuinely surprised by Emile Heskey. I think to be honest Peter Crouch must know in his heart of hearts that he is fifth best of the players who will be available. But should Heskey play instead of Rooney? That's a tough one. Rooney is a better player but Heskey and Owen make a great partnership.

I fear that McClaren will simply revert back to those with the biggest egos and they will feck it up for us.

So when the 2 played against Brazil, and England played well?

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:40 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:

Yes, he has.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:44 pm

Magic Man Fan wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:

Yes, he has.

Ok then, name me the World class performances he has had in an England shirt.

Saddler4Life
UTS Regular

Thu Sep 13, 2007 6:44 pm

Barry should keep his place alongside Gerrard for the next game!
he definately proved his worth!

myleftknee
UTS Veteran

Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:25 pm

Sheff I don't know what your argueing for, you obviously think Lampard is no1 choice where as most seems to think Gerrard is and never the twain shall meet. I think it's an amazing position to be in to have two players of their quality to call upon, and hopefully with the performances of the last two games we can start reaping the rewards, as I said before Gerrard has been picked, through injuries or other wise, we've played well for the first time in 5 years, he's earned his shirt.

Also the two games just gone and the game against Andorra make the only three games that Gerrard has played in his preferred role in the centre with a licence to break. In all three match's we've won 3-0, Gerrard has scored 2 goals and been man of the match in a very awkward win in Andorra and been very influential in the other two.

A midfielder isn't gonna score in every game but Gerrards' tempo in midfield with Barry, with the switching of play and movement off the ball at time was maybe the best I've seen from an England side. You've asked what game I was watching; I would ask the same of you.

Fray Bentos is God!
Site Addict

Location: Poking chimps with sticks and walking away since 2004.

Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:29 pm

England thread - Check

England go to play in game named on said thread better because Lampard ay in the team - Check

Sheff talks complete and utter Joey Deacon about the whole thing - Check

I am back

Gerrard's England performances >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> My weener's performance in a game of scrabble without my help >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lampard for England

PreviousNext
Return to England Highs & Lows