Welcome. This site is an archived version of the previous UpTheSaddlers forum (December 2004 to May 2018). To visit the new UTS website, please click here.

England v Russia.

Walsall supporters react to England's despairs - as they happened. No text speak, please.
Forum rules
No swearing. No text speak. Don't avoid the swear filter.
WarsawPact
UTS Legend

England v Russia.

Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:29 pm

Barring any injuries, I'd start with the same team that started v Israel.

The boys put in the best team performance I've seen from England for a long time - they deserve to keep their places.

England 2 - Russia 0

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:43 pm

Another must win game , Russia will be a lot tougher .
1-0 England . I have no problem with keeping the same team.

Magic Man Fan
Site Addict

Location: Warning. Some posts may cause offence...to the over sensitive or slow.

Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:59 pm

Agree WP.

No need to change. Best performance for ages from a team interested in wearing the shirt. I've been calling for Barry to play for years, since we had the problem on the left. Very underated in my opinion. As is Heskey.

Stu
UTS Legend

Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:02 pm

For the sake of team morale, he must play the same side in my opinion.

If he doesn't, then the likes of Barry and Heskey could very well end up doing a Carragher and walking out.

I thought Heskey had a great game, but it was a rare occasion when we played to his strengths. We used to thump long balls at him, like we do to Crouch, and he is okay at that, but not great. Instead to see us knocking quick pacy balls into his feet and to his chest really brought the best out of him. He really impressed me, and it was also a better style of football.

The amount of times Gerrard hit it hard at him, either feet or chest, and it stuck was superb, as the midfielders could then break forward. It used to be a hoof in the air and ask him to flick it on.

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:12 pm

Full marks to the England manager , he got his team selection and tactics sopt on for Israel , it would be very harsh of to change the team for Russia .

myleftknee
UTS Veteran

Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:18 pm

I agree whole heartedly with everyones' comments, it's up to everyone else now to get their places back, that's whether your Beckham, Lampard, Hargreaves, Rooney or who ever else. I have been saying for a long time that McLaren has no man-management or motivational skills and lacks the bottle to say no to our "star" players for the good of a team performance. I guess we'll see what McLaren is made of on Wednesday.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:24 pm

I'm in a meeting all evening. :cry: :cry: :cry:

I think we'll win 2-0

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:29 pm

While I agree that Barry played excellently, I don't believe the old adage that you shouldn't change a winning team. For one, the opposition is going to be stronger so the players will have to up their performance. Which means I would consider bringing Hargreaves back in for Barry - other than that, unchanged.

myleftknee
UTS Veteran

Mon Sep 10, 2007 2:47 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:While I agree that Barry played excellently, I don't believe the old adage that you shouldn't change a winning team. For one, the opposition is going to be stronger so the players will have to up their performance. Which means I would consider bringing Hargreaves back in for Barry - other than that, unchanged.

I just think not changing the side will be a message to the team after so many lack lustre performances, play well for me and you'll stay in the team, play poorly and you'll have to go to the back of the queue. Barry has more than enough to take care of the Russian midfield and the team performance on Saturday deserves another go, Hargreaves for me has been excellent this season but he too must wait now for his turn; that's the way I see it.

philthesaddler
Site Addict

Location: Bescot Stadium, 'the stadium that never closes'. Opening hours Mon-Fri 10am-4pm

Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:10 pm

DAVEDEAN wrote:Full marks to the England manager , he got his team selection and tactics sopt on for Israel , it would be very harsh of to change the team for Russia .

Come on, it was against Isreal!

Russia, managed by Hiddink, will be a much more difficult game.

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Mon Sep 10, 2007 3:34 pm

myleftknee wrote:
Registered Saddler wrote:While I agree that Barry played excellently, I don't believe the old adage that you shouldn't change a winning team. For one, the opposition is going to be stronger so the players will have to up their performance. Which means I would consider bringing Hargreaves back in for Barry - other than that, unchanged.

I just think not changing the side will be a message to the team after so many lack lustre performances, play well for me and you'll stay in the team, play poorly and you'll have to go to the back of the queue. Barry has more than enough to take care of the Russian midfield and the team performance on Saturday deserves another go, Hargreaves for me has been excellent this season but he too must wait now for his turn; that's the way I see it.

I think that's what pundits often refer to as a 'nice headache'. Do you put in the good player that's playing well, or the good player that's playing well?

Barren Flak
UTS Veteran

Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:10 pm

I think Barry should definately start. Very underated. MoM for me on Saturday, rarely wastes the ball and always looking to pass forward. Gerrard himself has been on record in the past to note his bemusement at Barry's ommission from previous squads and teams.

I'd also keep pesky Hesky in, Crouch is a very good 'off the Bench forward' anyhow, maybe his best deployment for England.

Plastic Hawk
UTS Legend

Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:50 pm

Got to stick with the same side surely. Everyone did ok and the team came away with a decent win so they're their shirts to lose.

It's going to be a much tougher game on Wednesday, but I think we'll get through - we've usually been ok at raising ourselves for the big qualifying games over the last few years. I'll say 2-1 to England.

Barren Flak
UTS Veteran

Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:00 pm

Max & Daddy wrote:I think Barry should definately start. Very underated. MoM for me on Saturday, rarely wastes the ball and always looking to pass forward. Gerrard himself has been on record in the past to note his bemusement at Barry's ommission from previous squads and teams.

I'd also keep pesky Hesky in, Crouch is a very good 'off the Bench forward' anyhow, maybe his best deployment for England.

Looks like Barry is nailed on as Hargreaves has been officially ruled out. He needs to take this chance with both donnies, that will give McClown something to chew on.

Duke
Site Addict

Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:16 pm

philthesaddler wrote:
DAVEDEAN wrote:Full marks to the England manager , he got his team selection and tactics sopt on for Israel , it would be very harsh of to change the team for Russia .

Give McClown some credit Phil . its the first time he's got it right :wink:

Manchester Saddler
Site Addict

Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:26 pm

Let's not get carried away chaps. I reckon that as long as Lumpy doesn't play then we'll do OK.

Duke
Site Addict

Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:37 am

Lampard and Hargreaves both out .

Stu
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:46 am

philthesaddler wrote:

That would be the same Israel and the same Russia that drew 1-1 in Moscow last October then? The same Israel that also drew with Ukraine (ranked 15th in the world), that also drew 0-0 with England in Israel?

They're not that bad a side to be honest, and Russia aren't that good a side either. They're ranked below Romania, Scotland, Ukraine, Serbia and Poland.

Just because Hiddink is in charge does not mean they're a good side. Anyone would think the shine suns out of his backside the way people talk about him.

big baz 1
UTS Legend

Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:48 am

It was on talksport yesterday that frank i only play well for my club lampard and owen hargreaves are both out injured for the russia game. I hope that gareth barry keeps his place about time he was getting games at internationall level quality player. Also keep heskey he was mint against israel but should of scored. I will go for a 3-0 win for the three lions with the goals coming from heskey owen and jt.

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:52 am

DAVEDEAN would have been more accurate had he wrote:Lampard and Hargreaves both being kept in cotton wool by their clubs who couldn't give a stuff about England as they get no money from it .

:shock:

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:18 am

King Crimson on Monday wrote:I'm in a meeting all evening. :cry: :cry: :cry:

And no one cares.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

Duke
Site Addict

Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:31 am

King Crimson wrote:

And no one cares.

I care KC . :D Bad luck :cry:

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:43 am

DAVEDEAN wrote:
King Crimson wrote:

And no one cares.

I care KC . :D Bad luck :cry:

Yeah, whatever. You all take me for granted, but what about MY needs? It's only when I make a stand do I get any attention at all. No one thinks to ask how I might feel or even reply. I might as well talk to the wall, it's about as sympathetic and feeling. I work so hard, and I don't expect gratitude, but a little consideration now and again wouldn't go amiss. I'm not angry, more disappointed...blah...blah...blah...this board's not what it used to be....blah...blah...I'm off now....etc....ad infinitum....

Cheers Dave. :D

mikey

Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:13 pm

King Crimson wrote:

And no one cares.

Of cause we do old son. Tough luck with the meeting :cry:

England to win 2-1 btw

SWP, Owen for us.

Some unpronouncable Ruski geezer for them 'uns.

King Crimson
Poet Laureate

Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:32 pm

Meeting adjourned now due to lack of interest.

Its 8:30 pm. Home for second half. :D

tape66
UTS Legend

Location: Solid steel visor riveted across his eyes, Iron staples close his jaws so no one hears his cries.

Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:54 pm

So who will be the first to criticise that performance then?

Exile
Jobsworth

Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:55 pm

King Crimson wrote:

And no one cares.

I care.

Just not about your meeting. :D

3-0? Better than expected. McLaren may find himself in the job for a month or two longer.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:05 pm

Nevermind the current outbreak of foot and mouth.
It should be Registered and mouth!
Thats 2 England matches on trot you have been made to look like a......

Registered Saddler
UTS Legend

Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:37 pm

SheffieldSaddler wrote:

?

I don't believe the old adage that you shouldn't change a winning team.
The opposition was stronger.
The players did up their performance.
I would have considered bringing Hargreaves back for Barry, had I been manager and had he not been injured. No one can predict how well Hargreaves would have played, although Barry was excellent - just as I said he was at the weekend.

The real question is who would YOU drop, Sheff, to bring back Lampard? Or have you finally realised, like me and Ravenscroft have been saying for years, that we are a better side without him in it?

EDIT: Just seen the other thread. Don't bother answering those questions.

SheffieldSaddler
Site Addict

Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:41 pm

Registered Saddler wrote:
SheffieldSaddler wrote:

?

I don't believe the old adage that you shouldn't change a winning team.
The opposition was stronger.
The players did up their performance.
I would have considered bringing Hargreaves back for Barry, had I been manager and had he not been injured. No one can predict how well Hargreaves would have played, although Barry was excellent - just as I said he was at the weekend.

The real question is who would YOU drop, Sheff, to bring back Lampard? Or have you finally realised, like me and Ravenscroft have been saying for years, that we are a better side without him in it?

EDIT: Just seen the other thread. Don't bother answering those questions.

For years?
I would be so interested if you can find me that post from a few years back that you and old Neil made.
I await..... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Next
Return to England Highs & Lows